It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 51  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
if you're an old-line media outlet, or even a new one, you're queueing up to hire someone from this fallout and the ensuing ex-gawker media diaspora. if you're a company trying to make money on the web slanging content, you want some of this gawker DNA in your company. whatever else they might have been, might have done, Gawker somehow made bank pushing content:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:33 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Rich kids from the Northeast will land on their feet somehow. They always do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Curious Hair wrote:
Rich kids from the Northeast will land on their feet somehow. They always do.

Denton may end up on his knees.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:48 am 

I hope someone good buys deadspin. Like Bill Simmons or Fox.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
She is the worst...

http://deadspin.com/ashley-feinberg-is-gawker-medias-thirstiest-blogger-1785149762

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Mariano's

"One guy lays the pipe, the other guy smokes it"--Clint Eastwood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Jbi11s wrote:

did anyone actually read that? Is there a single normal non-douchebag that works for gawker media? The amount of arrogance these bloggers exude is fascinating to me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
I got halfway through then had a nose bleed from the overwhelming smarm factor.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:48 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:51 pm 

That is why I'm not crying for Gawker about the evil billionaire destroying them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:17 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
in the wake of the story that CH quoted/pasted a bit upthread, i shudder to realize that SOME ppl are going out on a limb to claim that this hogan vs gawker lawsuit/settlement/shitshow is actually some kind of "attack on free speech" or maybe even "freedom of the press" because i guess some in the media (i actually saw those swell "taiwanese animators" on youtube claim this) want to say that going after gawker here in the hootie hogan case = a crushing blow towards the future of free speech via a "free" press.

seriously, how did we end up with these [wonderful people paragon to all that's good, decent, and honest/hard-working/pulling-yourself-up-from-your-bootstraps] supposedly representing some last bastion of free speech/press in the world? i don't buy the argument that gawker specifically in this hootie hogan case is truly "fighting for our freedom" cuz they basically wanna be able to post str8up sextapes on their sites and be like "nyah nyah nyah maybe next time you shouldn't get taped fucking your friend's wife!" in lieu of people being like "what the fuck gawker you're actually posting a "stolen" sex tape here like it's important news worth fighting for philosophically"

AJ Daulerio in a deposition for the hootie hogan lawsuit wrote:
Q. Well, can you imagine a situation where a celebrity sex tape would not be newsworthy?

A. If they were a child.

Q. Under what age?

A. Four

obviously an attempt at levity/humor in the wake of a grilling, but still kinda representative of the kind of mindset/mentality they have over there when discussing the definition of "news" -- i just can't believe that these people are technically fighting for my freedom, you know? they just wanna get clicks/views/eyeballs so they can get $$$PAID$$$ cuz every business/company is only beholden to one thing: profits (as well it should be? </abovemypaygrade>)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:47 am 

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/16/opinion/peter-thiel-the-online-privacy-debate-wont-end-with-gawker.html?smid=tw-share

Thiel sums it all up perfectly here. Gawker kept on gambling and lost when someone who was finally bigger and stronger than them came around.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:05 am 

It's still troubling no matter how you look at it. Gawker is not sympathetic, but this is happening everywhere. See Sheldon Adelson and the Las Vegas papers.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:08 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
It's still troubling no matter how you look at it. Gawker is not sympathetic, but this is happening everywhere. See Sheldon Adelson and the Las Vegas papers.
No, it isn't troubling at all.

Other examples may be troubling. This one isn't.

If anything, this is an example of a well monied and lawyered up organization(Gawker) not being able to legally maneuver themselves out of it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:24 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

If anything, this is an example of a well monied and lawyered up organization(Gawker) not being able to legally maneuver themselves out of it.

The only way they were able to be shutdown is because a billionaire said so. If you don't think that's troubling, well then I think you are failing to see how interconnected all of this is.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The only way they were able to be shutdown is because a billionaire said so. If you don't think that's troubling, well then I think you are failing to see how interconnected all of this is.

Why is a rag getting shut down troubling?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: ------
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Why is a rag getting shut down troubling?

The troubling thing is that a billionaire decided he had a grudge against a media outlet and just sued them into oblivion.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
he didn't sue them over nothing. You're forgetting that. They left themselves in a dumb position.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:38 am 

City of Fools wrote:
he didn't sue them over nothing. You're forgetting that. They left themselves in a dumb position.

I am not forgetting that. I don't think Gawker is some bastion of great journalistic intent, but be careful what you wish for siding with a billionaire that wants to silence speech he doesn't like.

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:42 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Phil McCracken wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

I am not forgetting that. I don't think Gawker is some bastion of great journalistic intent, but be careful what you wish for siding with a billionaire that wants to silence speech he doesn't like.

I think the more fucked up thing is that there are many people who aren't billionaires or don't have the backing of billionaires who had legitimate reasons to sue Gawker but lacked the resources to bump heads with them. I guess Gawker should have stuck to fucking with poor people.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:44 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

I think the more fucked up thing is that there are many people who aren't billionaires or don't have the backing of billionaires who had legitimate reasons to sue Gawker but lacked the resources to bump heads with them. I guess Gawker should have stuck to fucking with poor people.

That's fair enough. Fucking with poor people usually works out better for the people doing the fucking.

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:44 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Exactly. Gawker was a rich lawyered up company that was doing this to others. A bigger guy came along and stopped them. There is nothing to be concerned about here.

A group with a lot of money was rightfully found accountable by a group with more money.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:45 am 

Phil McCracken wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

As long as the suit is valid, and this clearly was, then siding with a billionaire isn't bad.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:46 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

I'm sure those people are smiling today too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:47 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

As long as the suit is valid, and this clearly was, then siding with a billionaire isn't bad.

Going to have to agree to disagree there. No good billionaires in my world. Eat the rich ya dig.

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Gawkers not going anywhere. The journalism itself will go on, the bad actors like Denton and that AJ prick are the ones who were most hurt by the lawsuit. Peter Thiel is one of the worst people on the planet, but I think the "this is very troubling" sentiment is overblown.

The Las Vegas paper story isn't a good analogy. That's 10x worse and probably shouldn't even be legal.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:51 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Yep. It was not the girl's tape that brought them down. It took someone with resources. The rest of us are fair game.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:53 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Gawkers not going anywhere. The journalism itself will go on, the bad actors like Denton and that AJ prick are the ones who were most hurt by the lawsuit. Peter Thiel is one of the worst people on the planet, but I think the "this is very troubling" sentiment is overblown.

The Las Vegas paper story isn't a good analogy. That's 10x worse and probably shouldn't even be legal.

Here is the analogy. You have to vet your material through the super rich and connected.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:53 am 

Only two bidders for Gawker, auction is today:

Ziff-Davis and

Univision? ¿¡Qué rayos!?

Univision apparently also owns part of.... the Onion.

Ziff-Davis, not sure how they're still around, but they'd most likely be purchasing the company to chop it up and sell off the individual parts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 51  Next