It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 51  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Arrenello's in Glenwood, IL
https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/06/09/paypal-co-founder-peter-thiel-address-white-nationalist-friendly-%E2%80%9Cproperty-and-freedom

Quote:
PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel, in the news recently for his role financing the Hulk Hogan lawsuit against Gawker, is scheduled to travel to Bodrum, Turkey, in September to address the annual meeting of the ultra-libertarian Property and Freedom Society.

Founded in 2006 by libertarian academic Hans-Hermann Hoppe, the Property and Freedom Society is dedicated to what it calls “uncompromising intellectual radicalism: for justly acquired private property, freedom of contract, freedom of association—which logically implies the right to not associate with, or to discriminate against—anyone in one’s personal and business relations—and unconditional free trade,” according to its website.

But beyond the libertarian academics, economists, and business leaders from across Europe and the U.S. who attend and speak at its conferences, the Property and Freedom Society has welcomed white nationalists, including several of the most prominent white nationalists in America.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:00 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
When it comes crashing down and it hurts inside
♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪♪♪♪
Ya file Chapter 11, really helps to hide
♪ ♪ ♪♪♪ ♪♪♪♪

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:19 pm 

I love how he says that they are doing this so they don't have to pay it to Hulk Hogan who rightfully won it against them. :lol:

These guys don't bring out much sympathy do they?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:24 pm 

What is the next step operationally for Gawker? Purge contributors and editors? They seem too stubborn to sell off one of their sites.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:36 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
What is the next step operationally for Gawker? Purge contributors and editors? They seem too stubborn to sell off one of their sites.

Wait a bit ... whoever owns it buys it back through a shell company ... put a new name on it and they're right back to churning out fuckery by the barrel-full. Easy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:41 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Arrenello's in Glenwood, IL
Gawker just filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy....

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/gawker-media-files-bankruptcy

Quote:
The company that publishes Gawker filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the Southern District of New York on Friday.

The largest creditor listed in the bankruptcy filing is Terry Bollea, otherwise known as wrestler Hulk Hogan, whose claim is listed as $130 million.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:38 pm 

http://deadspin.com/a-note-to-our-readers-1781769392

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Here's Logical Sports Person Barry Petchesky offering the exact same hackneyed, reductive, utterly nonsensical tripe every other star-slurping hipster basketblogger is demanding we swallow this morning--but with his unique flair for unwarranted condescension:

Quote:
Here’s a fun thought experiment: When you read analysis of the move today, mentally replace “play” with “work” and “team” with “workplace.”

This is the sports equivalent of "the federal budget is just like your household budget." The whole piece is full of thunderously stupid little bon mots just like that, all of them greased with an inch-thick layer of Bernsteinian why-can't-you-idiots-understand-this smarm. It's also generously peppered with internal contradictions (the Warriors are villains, but Durant isn't [?]) and outright elitism (apparently the residents of Oakland are "techno-libertarian scum," which is news to me). Truly a Deadspin piece par excellence.

BONUS: Ley just posted a mopey diary entry in which he attempts to suppress his repulsively plebian impulse to actually give a shit about things with his certain knowledge that athletes are great, and the things they do are great, and we should all support their quest to expand their personal #brands.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Stop comparing your work to athletes!

Compare your work to athletes!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:22 am 

Deadspin overuses exclamation points.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:29 am 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
Here's Logical Sports Person Barry Petchesky offering the exact same hackneyed, reductive, utterly nonsensical tripe every other star-slurping hipster basketblogger is demanding we swallow this morning--but with his unique flair for unwarranted condescension:

Quote:
Here’s a fun thought experiment: When you read analysis of the move today, mentally replace “play” with “work” and “team” with “workplace.”

This is the sports equivalent of "the federal budget is just like your household budget." The whole piece is full of thunderously stupid little bon mots just like that, all of them greased with an inch-thick layer of Bernsteinian why-can't-you-idiots-understand-this smarm. It's also generously peppered with internal contradictions (the Warriors are villains, but Durant isn't [?]) and outright elitism (apparently the residents of Oakland are "techno-libertarian scum," which is news to me). Truly a Deadspin piece par excellence.

BONUS: Ley just posted a mopey diary entry in which he attempts to suppress his repulsively plebian impulse to actually give a shit about things with his certain knowledge that athletes are great, and the things they do are great, and we should all support their quest to expand their personal #brands.
Great post.

All I can add is the part where he says you can hate against and root against the Warriors and you should but only for his approved reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:22 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Kirkwood wrote:

The most annoying way they do it, which I made sure to fit into my last Senor Columnist joint, is when they do that faux-reassuring thing. "You can hate this move and lots of people do. And it's totally fine if you think that! But it means you hate all black people."

Thanks for the heads-up on the Petchesky. Always been one of my least favorite bloggers along with Lambert. And that's okay!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:23 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up on the Petchesky. Always been one of my least favorite bloggers along with Lambert. And that's okay!

Because you hate women!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:30 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

The most annoying way they do it, which I made sure to fit into my last Senor Columnist joint, is when they do that faux-reassuring thing. "You can hate this move and lots of people do. And it's totally fine if you think that! But it means you hate all black people."

That's exactly how they use them. Damn, you nailed it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Petchesky's Wade post isn't nearly as bad as the one discussed above but it's still pretty bad. "Naive Dwayne Wade is finally learning the hardscrabble realities of business world that I, Barry Petchesky, have been intimately familiar with for years!" It's like he knows he can't bash Wade too much given that whole players as laborers" crap he spewed earlier in the week, but he also needs to be able to frame it in a way that allows for maximum self-aggrandizement.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:00 pm 

A rejected injunction motion likely means personal bankruptcy for the Gawker founder.

Gawker founder Nick Denton appears headed for personal bankruptcy after a bankruptcy judge on Tuesday refused to stop Hulk Hogan's collection pursuits.

Denton had hoped that Gawker's Chapter 11 bankruptcy filed on June 10 would give him temporary relief from his portion of a $140 million judgment in favor of Hogan, who prevailed in an invasion-of-privacy lawsuit over the posting of a sex tape.

In conjunction with Gawker's bankruptcy, Denton's company brought an adversary case against its legal foes and warned that if Hogan was allowed to pursue Denton, it would distract from the planned sale of Gawker. The two sides stipulated to a temporary restraining order, but when it came time to determine whether a judge would convert this into a preliminary injunction, Hogan fought back.

On Tuesday, Denton took the witness stand and was questioned about his ongoing involvement with Gawker. He also faced cross-examination from Hogan's lawyers about whether he was really indispensable to Gawker's reorganization. Despite Denton's word that he has had to reassure staff about what's been happening at the company as well as communicate with potential bidders including stalking horse Ziff Davis, U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Stuart Bernstein denied the injunction motion.

Denton, who has gotten a $200,000 loan and has at least prepared bankruptcy papers, may now move quickly to file for personal bankruptcy so as to take advantage of an automatic stay that will result in pausing Hogan's collection pursuits. Denton has testified that his main assets are Gawker stock holdings and his New York City apartment, which he recently listed for sale.

While Gawker and Denton both figure to be in bankruptcy together, the company still has hopes of overturning the Hogan judgment on appeal and battling back efforts by Silicon Valley billionaire Peter Thiel, who funded the Hogan lawsuit and has reportedly made it a mission to sink the company.

In a statement to The Hollywood Reporter, Denton said: "As I've said, Peter Thiel's vendetta against my company may well require me as well as the company to file for bankruptcy protection until the Florida appeals court can rule on the extraordinary $140 million judgment. I'm focused now on the sale process which will conclude in a month, and maintaining the value of the business. This story will conclude with Gawker Media's popular brands sheltered under new ownership and the importance of a free and critical press reaffirmed by the courts. In the end, the Facebook board member will have nothing to show for his petty grudge other than legal expenses and a reputation for thin skin."

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:38 am 

I found this to be a strange one.

http://gawker.com/buzzfeed-news-reminds-writers-to-conceal-that-they-want-1784495844

Shouldn't news sites do their best to appear/act neutral?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:53 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I found this to be a strange one.

http://gawker.com/buzzfeed-news-reminds-writers-to-conceal-that-they-want-1784495844

Shouldn't news sites do their best to appear/act neutral?

That is pretty funny. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
http://gawker.com/nick-denton-founder-a ... 1784660321

Nick Denton, the British expatriate who independently founded Gawker Media in 2002 and has served as its chief executive officer for its entire 14-year history, filed today for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the Southern District of New York.

In March, a Florida jury found him culpable of invading the wrestler Hulk Hogan’s privacy, nearly four years after this website published excerpts of a tape in which Hogan can be seen having sex with Heather Clem, the wife of Hogan’s ex-best-friend, the Tampa-area radio shock jock Bubba the Love Sponge. The filing comes after several attempts on Denton’s part to temporarily halt the enforcement of the $140,100,000 verdict that jury handed down.

Denton is personally responsible for $10 million, and jointly responsible, along with former Gawker editor A.J. Daulerio, and Gawker Media itself, for $115 million. Chapter 11 bankruptcy will prevent Hogan, whose real name is Terry Bollea, from draining Denton’s bank accounts or seizing any of his assets. Gawker Media filed under the Chapter 11 statute in early June for the same reason. Both moves are intended to lay the groundwork for the company’s appeal of the jury’s verdict, in Florida’s Second District.

Daulerio, who published the excerpts of the Hogan tape and adjacent commentary about its contents, is personally on the hook for an additional $100,000 in damages. At the trial, he told jurors he had a negative net worth, due to outstanding student loans. In an email to Gawker, he confirmed that he plans to file for bankruptcy as well.

So does this mean the Hulkster is still broke until this case makes its way to the Supremes or Gawker's new handlers direct Denton to settle?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:42 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Nice little loophole he found there in the bankruptcy law.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Quote:
In an email to Gawker traced back to a free public library computer terminal, Daulerio confirmed that he plans to file for bankruptcy as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:10 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Hussra wrote:
Quote:
In an email to Gawker traced back to a free public library computer terminal, Daulerio confirmed that he plans to file for bankruptcy as well.

Savage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:21 pm 

It's happening!

http://gawker.com/welcome-to-senior-week-1784979018

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:52 pm 

I don't think I've ever had more contempt for a writer than I do Ashley Feinberg. So unbelievably contrived and annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Jbi11s wrote:
I don't think I've ever had more contempt for a writer than I do Ashley Feinberg. So unbelievably contrived and annoying.

You'd hit it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:06 pm 

I don't think there's enough booze in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Wouldn't it be easier on everybody if the judge just allowed Thiel to fuck Denton up the ass without lube once a week for the next 10-15 years, and forget all this money drama?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 51  Next