It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 51  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Whether you loved Gawker or hated it, we can all agree on one thing: billionaires deciding what media outlets are allowed to say, is Very Good

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
It was not Thiel's suit. He backed Hogan. Here is why it is troubling. What if the Kochs are mad at say Mother Jones or someone else? They could pull the same move and Thiel and back any type of lawsuit against the company. There is a clear playbook now on how the ultra-rich can go after their media critics.
If the suit is valid who cares?

Anyone, rich or non-rich helping finance valid lawsuits is not a problem.

Why would we assume that these lawsuits are valid?

A billionaire Repblican donor filed multiple lawsuits against Mother Jones in recent years. And although MJ won the cases, it cost the publication something like $3 million in legal fees to triumph. That's a lot of money for an operation that functions with a slim profit margin, and it severely undermines the kind of investigative reporting Mother Jones can perform. And investigative reporting is crucial to the health of any democracy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tall Midget wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It was not Thiel's suit. He backed Hogan. Here is why it is troubling. What if the Kochs are mad at say Mother Jones or someone else? They could pull the same move and Thiel and back any type of lawsuit against the company. There is a clear playbook now on how the ultra-rich can go after their media critics.

A billionaire Repblican donor filed multiple lawsuits against Mother Jones in recent years. And although MJ won the cases, it cost the publication something like $3 million in legal fees to triumph. That's a lot of money for an operation that functions with a slim profit margin, and it severely undermines the kind of investigative reporting Mother Jones can perform. And investigative reporting is crucial to the health of any democracy.

There may be an argument there for a loser to pay the fees of the prevailing party.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:58 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

That is a different discussion.

Let's assume that instead of a billionaire, that Hulk Hogan funded the lawsuit himself and the same thing happened. Is that any better or worse?

What if Hogan had setup a gofundme page for his fans to pay for it? Is that any better or worse?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Let's assume that instead of a billionaire, that Hulk Hogan funded the lawsuit himself and the same thing happened. Is that any better or worse?

What if Hogan had setup a gofundme page for his fans to pay for it? Is that any better or worse?

You tell me. I'm not interested in answering a question that evades reality instead of engaging it. The point is that the wealthy routinely undermine freedom of the press--and our democracy--with frivolous lawsuits and legal intimidation. David Cay Johnston, a former Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist for the NYT has pointed out, for instance, how Donald Trump has used his legal machinery to curb factual but negative stories about him for years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You tell me. I'm not interested in answering a question that evades reality instead of engaging it. The point is that the wealthy routinely undermine freedom of the press--and our democracy--with frivolous lawsuits and legal intimidation. David Cay Johnston, a former Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist for the NYT has pointed out, for instance, how Donald Trump has used his legal machinery to curb factual but negative stories about him for years.

Some guys just buy the newspaper or television stations. There's a reason why certain media elites mock the Internet/social media and characterize us as pantsless cretins in mom's basement. They don't want everyone to have a voice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Tall Midget wrote:
The point is that the wealthy routinely undermine freedom of the press--and our democracy--with frivolous lawsuits and legal intimidation.

Do you not understand that a significant portion of Gawker's content was them trashing normal people seemingly at random who had no recourse against Gawker's resources?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:22 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
It doesn't evade the reality of it. Gawker was clearly in the wrong here. There is no question about that. This was not a frivolous lawsuit and it was not legal intimidation.

We can discuss those things when they actually exist rather than just being like "BILLIONAIRES!" even if they didn't do anything wrong.

There are reasons to not like this specific billionaire but funding a non-frivolous lawsuit is not one of them.

If Mother Jones were to share a sex tape of Hulk Hogan without his consent then I would support him doing the same thing again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Denton and Thiel / Daulerio and Hogan should've settled their differences Hamilton-Burr style:

pistols at dawn in Weehawken.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

Does this mean that Deadspin is done too?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:40 pm 

No, deadspin and the other non-aggregator gawker properties should still operate. it's just the landing page of gawker.com will likely start redirecting to that Fusion site CH mentioned or some other Univision controlled and non-stench-of-bad-PR domain.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:16 pm 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
Whether you loved Gawker or hated it, we can all agree on one thing: billionaires deciding what media outlets are allowed to say, is Very Good

Like if Pablo Escobar funded a VALID lawsuit against the DEA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Some guys just buy the newspaper or television stations. There's a reason why certain media elites mock the Internet/social media and characterize us as pantsless cretins in mom's basement. They don't want everyone to have a voice.

Just for fun I googled the phrase "pantsless [sic] cretins" and this was the top result. The fuck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWIJ7nMS9PQ

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:13 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Typical wrongful death lawsuit is $3 million. Hulk Hogan sex tape is somehow worth $140 million. Enough to shut down a media company. Everything about this is ugly, but because Gawker posted sex tapes it's fine that a billionaire silenced them because they were bad.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:29 am 
Site Admin

Typical wrongful death lawsuit is $3 million. Hulk Hogan sex tape is somehow worth $140 million. Enough to shut down a media company. Everything about this is ugly, but because Gawker posted sex tapes it's fine that a billionaire silenced them because they were bad.

I'm torn on this since I obviously don't support undue influence by rich guys. But I might suggest that it was the actions of Gawker itself that got them in this jam rather than Peter Thiel's money. Gawker used money to bully people all the time, they just happened to get on the bad side of a bigger bully. But don't worry. Jezebel lives!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:37 am 

You could say that about any lawsuit against a company that results in more than $3 million.

JPMorgan was fined $1.7 billion dollars for involvement with Bernie Madoff. Compared to a wrongful death lawsuit that seems way overboard. The thing is though that it doesn't matter. Lawsuits don't have to have a linear progression.

And yes, it is fine that a billionaire funded this. Gawker could have avoided being bankrupt in any number of ways. They didn't.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:47 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
You could say that about any lawsuit against a company that results in more than $3 million.

JPMorgan was fined $1.7 billion dollars for involvement with Bernie Madoff. Compared to a wrongful death lawsuit that seems way overboard. The thing is though that it doesn't matter. Lawsuits don't have to have a linear progression.

And yes, it is fine that a billionaire funded this. Gawker could have avoided being bankrupt in any number of ways. They didn't.

The Maddoff thing affected thousands of people though, and wiped out several families. So that pain was spread much more than a single victim.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:57 am 

The Maddoff thing affected thousands of people though, and wiped out several families. So that pain was spread much more than a single victim.
Of course, but compared to a wrongful death it also looks very severe. That doesn't mean it was.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
in cased you missed it, as of this afternoon... it's still not their fault....

http://gawker.com/gawker-was-murdered-b ... 1785456581

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:35 pm 

They are throwing quite a big pity party but I would be too if I was them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
They are throwing quite a big pity party but I would be too if I was them.

Is it ever?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:00 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Curious Hair wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Deadspin overuses exclamation points.

The most annoying way they do it, which I made sure to fit into my last Senor Columnist joint, is when they do that faux-reassuring thing. "You can hate this move and lots of people do. And it's totally fine if you think that! But it means you hate all black people."

Thanks for the heads-up on the Petchesky. Always been one of my least favorite bloggers along with Lambert. And that's okay!

yesssss

Quote:
Gawker articles ditched the "view from nowhere" objectivity of print journalism and were instead upfront about the author's attitude. And that's good! (There's another Gawkerism: the pithy line with the enthusiastic exclamation point after an observation that might seem ambivalent.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
billypootons wrote:
in cased you missed it, as of this afternoon... it's still not their fault....

http://gawker.com/gawker-was-murdered-b ... 1785456581

admittedly i was unable to make it to paragraph 2... in fact it took me 15 seconds to scroll to the bottom of this it was so long.... but how many times can they write about their own demise?

http://gawker.com/how-things-work-1785604699

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:38 am 

These guys are desperate to portray themselves as the poor little guy who were treated unfairly by an unjust world when their whole brand and product was about doing the same thing to others as they made money for their Cayman Islands-based corporation.

This whole thing could have been easily avoided by simply acting like what these articles are trying to portray them as rather than the guys who thought they could have fun being trolls to people while disguising themselves as a media company.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:27 pm 

Yeah, Gawker did good things, but as we're sitting shiva for them, we're forgetting about a lot of the bad stuff, like how writers basically existed at the pleasure of Nick Denton and could be fired with no warning or justification (and often were -- for Gawker being the greatest place in the world to work, they churned through talent faster than a John Calipari program), or how so much of what they did was disposable clickbait bullshit because they were under orders to churn out #content all day to get pageviews and Kinja comments.

It's more the principle of the whole thing that's upsetting. As Jim Ross once said, "NO, BAH GAWD, NO, NOT THIS WAY!"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:06 am 

Oh no, Hamilton Nolan has been moved to Deadspin.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I think Ashley Feinberg was too. That site is fucked soon too.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:01 pm 

Ashley Feinberg's worth keeping around for the hate-read clicks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:04 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I think Ashley Feinberg was too. That site is fucked soon too.
I don't know why they didn't send all the women to where they belong, Jezebel or the kitchen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:04 pm 

I'm surprised they didn't try to smuggle Gawker Prime wholesale into one of those Jezebel verticals no one reads.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 51  Next