It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 51  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:05 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I'm surprised they didn't try to smuggle Gawker Prime wholesale into one of those Jezebel verticals no one reads.
Well, Hamilton wrote about the Clinton Foundation for Deadspin, so I guess they kind of are.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:09 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Well, a few months ago they said they wanted to send all the gossip and NYC-media shoptalk to Jezebel while repurposing Gawker into a version of the Daily Show that was being sued out of existence over Hulk Hogan's dick. I suspect other Gawker writers will be sent over to Fusion to write more "Hey, Millennials, This Is Why Gaslighting Won't Go Viral" thinkpieces that no one reads.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:19 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Well, a few months ago they said they wanted to send all the gossip and NYC-media shoptalk to Jezebel while repurposing Gawker into a version of the Daily Show that was being sued out of existence over Hulk Hogan's dick. I suspect other Gawker writers will be sent over to Fusion to write more "Hey, Millennials, This Is Why Gaslighting Won't Go Viral" thinkpieces that no one reads.
I think my favorite time was when I opened up Gawker and there were 7 straight articles with Trump in the headline.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:20 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I think my favorite time was when I opened up Gawker and there were 7 straight articles with Trump in the headline.

That was nice of the kids to let Bill Maher edit for the day.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Tall Midget wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
It was not Thiel's suit. He backed Hogan. Here is why it is troubling. What if the Kochs are mad at say Mother Jones or someone else? They could pull the same move and Thiel and back any type of lawsuit against the company. There is a clear playbook now on how the ultra-rich can go after their media critics.
If the suit is valid who cares?

Anyone, rich or non-rich helping finance valid lawsuits is not a problem.

Why would we assume that these lawsuits are valid?

A billionaire Repblican donor filed multiple lawsuits against Mother Jones in recent years. And although MJ won the cases, it cost the publication something like $3 million in legal fees to triumph. That's a lot of money for an operation that functions with a slim profit margin, and it severely undermines the kind of investigative reporting Mother Jones can perform. And investigative reporting is crucial to the health of any democracy.
That is a different discussion.

Let's assume that instead of a billionaire, that Hulk Hogan funded the lawsuit himself and the same thing happened. Is that any better or worse?

What if Hogan had setup a gofundme page for his fans to pay for it? Is that any better or worse?

You tell me. I'm not interested in answering a question that evades reality instead of engaging it. The point is that the wealthy routinely undermine freedom of the press--and our democracy--with frivolous lawsuits and legal intimidation. David Cay Johnston, a former Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist for the NYT has pointed out, for instance, how Donald Trump has used his legal machinery to curb factual but negative stories about him for years.

that is absolutely true.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
The folding together of Deadspin and Gawker is truly dreadful.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
i read some of the comments on deadspin about the kaepernick shit and omg. that is their reader base? blech.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
http://deadspin.com/who-to-start-who-to ... socialflow

Can someone help me out here? Is this supposed to be a satirical take on FF columns?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
She isn't wrong. That is all very solid advice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:58 pm 

IMU wrote:

I'm not sure Cam is a great start, but she basically just said to start all the very best players and sit a bunch of guys that nobody even owns.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
FavreFan wrote:
IMU wrote:

I'm not sure Cam is a great start, but she basically just said to start all the very best players and sit a bunch of guys that nobody even owns.

As I said, solid advice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Flacco could be a good start this week. Bills defense is down a couple of d-backs and a linebacker due to injuries (good job, Ryan bros, leave it in the pre-season) ; plus the Bills starting nose-tackle is playing golf with Tom Brady for the first 4 games.

@sammywatkins you look like the college-version of Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/video ... 220878dbba

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Quote:
Univision has said that it bought Gawker Media because it believed in the work that our publications do. That work, for well over a decade, was only possible because we knew that our company leadership would defend it if it came under frivolous legal attack.

Univision’s first act on acquiring the company was to delete six true and accurate news stories from our archive, because those stories had been the targets of frivolous or malicious lawsuits. This decision undermines the foundation of the ability of Gawker Media’s employees to do our work. We have seen firsthand the damage that a targeted lawsuit campaign can do to companies and individual journalists, and the removal of these posts can only encourage such attempts in the future.

We condemn this action by Univision’s executives in the strongest possible terms. It sets an alarming precedent both for our relationship with our new owners and for the business of journalism as a whole. It is unacceptable for a publisher to delete legitimate and true news stories for business reasons.

We now face the task of trying to rebuild trust with Univision and find a resolution that will allow us all to once again do the work that we were all hired to do without fearing that our parent company might fail to support us when we need it most. We hope that Univision will take extremely seriously its responsibility to reach an agreement with this company’s writers and editors that will allow us to safely do our jobs here.

—The Gawker Media Editorial Union

:roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Univision is going to realize they need to fire all the existing staff. Gawker as a name isn't the problem, their staff is

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:51 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Univision is going to realize they need to fire all the existing staff. Gawker as a name isn't the problem, their staff is

CSFMB or CFMB the branding isn't the problem it's the posters that are the problem.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:28 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

CSFMB or CFMB the branding isn't the problem it's the posters that are the problem.

Ain't that the fucking truth Phil!!

Sincerely,
Management

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:57 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Quote:
Univision has said that it bought Gawker Media because it believed in the work that our publications do. That work, for well over a decade, was only possible because we knew that our company leadership would defend it if it came under frivolous legal attack.

Univision’s first act on acquiring the company was to delete six true and accurate news stories from our archive, because those stories had been the targets of frivolous or malicious lawsuits. This decision undermines the foundation of the ability of Gawker Media’s employees to do our work. We have seen firsthand the damage that a targeted lawsuit campaign can do to companies and individual journalists, and the removal of these posts can only encourage such attempts in the future.

We condemn this action by Univision’s executives in the strongest possible terms. It sets an alarming precedent both for our relationship with our new owners and for the business of journalism as a whole. It is unacceptable for a publisher to delete legitimate and true news stories for business reasons.

We now face the task of trying to rebuild trust with Univision and find a resolution that will allow us all to once again do the work that we were all hired to do without fearing that our parent company might fail to support us when we need it most. We hope that Univision will take extremely seriously its responsibility to reach an agreement with this company’s writers and editors that will allow us to safely do our jobs here.

This is about deleting an allegation that Chuck Johnson took a shit on the floor.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Curious Hair wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Quote:

This is about deleting an allegation that Chuck Johnson took a shit on the floor.

AND the fact that Wild Thing Mitch Williams is a prick at his children's sporting events!

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:27 pm 

Looks like some of these assholes are trying to get fired by their new handlers:

http://deadspin.com/why-was-mitch-willi ... 1786498406

Mitch “Wild Thing” Williams’s lawsuit against MLB Network was scheduled to begin this week in New Jersey, two years after the former major-league pitcher and TV analyst filed a complaint in Camden County Superior Court alleging—among other things—breach of contract, negligent misrepresentation, intentional and negligent defamation, and invasion of privacy.

According to his lawsuit, Williams lost his job with MLB Network after Deadspin published a pair of stories reporting on his behavior while coaching a youth baseball team at a tournament in Maryland. Those stories were recently deleted from Deadspin—over the objections of the editorial staff—after Univision executives, who acquired Deadspin’s parent company earlier this month, decided they represented a potential liability to the company. They remain part of the public court record in Williams’s suit, along with sworn testimony about how the stories were reported and depositions from witnesses to the incident. So, too, are records of communication between the Deadspin writer and seven independent witnesses to the incidents described in the two stories. (Former Deadspin parent company Gawker Media was a co-defendant in the case; it won summary judgment against Williams in June.)

According to court filings, Deadspin published an article on May 11, 2014 headlined “Mitch Williams Ejected From Child’s Baseball Game For Arguing, Cursing.” Here is that article, as it appears in Williams’s complaint (a transcribed version follows for readability):

Tim, Barry, and the rest of the dolts don't seem to understand that while the managing editors may be able to sail into another new media salaried position, they'll be joining the likes of Julie DiCaro writing pieces of "The Cauldron".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
They did an interview with Univision execs which basically boiled down to the fact that they were only buying assets and not liabilities, and the articles in question were involved in lawsuits, and therefore were classified as liabilities. There were a lot of details they could not disclose, but it sounds like it was an area where legally they could not keep the articles in question. Another issue was the timing; the ownership transfer happened Friday at midnight, and the communication of the deletion didn't happen until Saturday -- they said we can't really communicate what we are doing until we actually own the company, that's why you didn't hear about it earlier, and we can't own those articles because they represent liabilities, not assets.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:43 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Have they actually let go any of the Gawker army of idiots yet?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:51 pm 

"Accept Random Events"

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/accept ... 1786890887

Quote:
How much are you willing to give up in a futile quest to control things that cannot be controlled? Everything?

This past weekend, a man planted a bomb in New York City. It appears that he did it because he was angry over our nation’s foreign policy, though it is also possible for someone to plant a bomb because they are angry about any number of other things, or because they want to cover something up, or just for kicks.

Any sufficiently large group of people will produce a certain number of individuals who will do just about anything you can think of. Get millions of people together and you will find geniuses and idiots and gay people and straight people and nice people and mean people and, primarily, a lot of average people, who possess all of the complications that the human personality entails. You will find some people who are great athletes and some people who can ride unicycles. You will find some people prone to sadness and some people prone to anger. And you will find a certain number of people who, given certain combinations of genetics and culture and upbringing and environmental factors and unpredictable occurrences, will plant bombs on a street in New York.

The promise of absolute security is a trick. We can persecute group after group and give up our civil liberties one by one and close ourselves off from each other and the world at large more and more and still we will find perfect safety to be an illusion. We can build walls and build weapons and build prisons but we cannot change the fundamental fact that life is to a certain extent unpredictable, propelled by random events that we cannot foresee and can only react to. After we have killed all strangers and locked ourselves in a hidden bunker, the ceiling can still collapse on our head. We would have been better off spending all of that time outside, enjoying the mild weather. It will be winter soon enough. Some time later, the earth will be swallowed by the sun.

The worst part is, I actually agree with his central tenet: sacrificing our fundamental liberties in furtherance of delusional safety is not a good idea.

Thing is, this is Gawker Media, the place that calls for immediate abandonment of the Second Amendment, and Hamilton Nolan, who posts stuff like this:

Restricting the rights granted by the Constitution is fine when it has to do with guns or a state exercising their right to legislate under the 10th, but when their multiculturalism dictates the uncomfortable argument that people should accept radical jihad inspired by Wahhabism because "it's just their culture", Americans are told to "accept" "random" acts like a naturalized Islamic terrorist trying to kill multiple people with explosive devices. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
http://gizmodo.com/how-palantir-is-taki ... 1786738085

They are so desperate.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:56 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Deadspin's constant need to refer to homeruns as "dingers" and "dongs" annoys the shit out of me for no good reason.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:55 pm 

http://gizmodo.com/zuckerberg-defends-keeping-peter-thiel-in-leaked-facebo-1787975814

Author: Why hasn't Peter Thiel been fired from every job for supporting Trump?
Every commenter: Because that would be a horrible thing to do to fire someone for supporting a candidate for President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:04 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
i follow deadspin on twitter. whats amazing is that i can guess the gender of the author based on the title of the article.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:10 pm 

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/fyi-hb ... socialflow

Like the Cubs in the WS, I never thought I'd see the day Hamilton Nolan typed out a post that didn't suck, but he finally did.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:15 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/fyi-hbo-shows-are-not-real-1788406032?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Like the Cubs in the WS, I never thought I'd see the day Hamilton Nolan typed out a post that didn't suck, but he finally did.
Wow. Good for him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
But but but that out of focus shot of a black robot dong was PROBLEMATIC for....reasons...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
SpiralStairs wrote:
Deadspin's constant need to refer to homeruns as "dingers" and "dongs" annoys the shit out of me for no good reason.

Do you get a funny feeling in your pants? Like when you climbed the rope in gym class?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 51  Next