It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 51  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Rage-inducing . . .

Trump Writes Shortest Kwanzaa Statement Since the White House Started Giving Them

Gawker wrote:
This morning, President Trump issued a statement commemorating the first day of Kwanzaa that was exactly 64 words long—the shortest Kwanzaa statement since former President Bill Clinton started issuing annual remarks in 1993.

For comparison, Clinton’s first Kwanzaa statement was 143 words long—more than twice as long as Trump’s remarks. President George W. Bush’s 2001 Kwanzaa statement was 172 words long. And in 2009, Barack Obama issued a statement with 196 words.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
tommy wrote:
Rage-inducing . . .

Trump Writes Shortest Kwanzaa Statement Since the White House Started Giving Them

Gawker wrote:
This morning, President Trump issued a statement commemorating the first day of Kwanzaa that was exactly 64 words long—the shortest Kwanzaa statement since former President Bill Clinton started issuing annual remarks in 1993.

For comparison, Clinton’s first Kwanzaa statement was 143 words long—more than twice as long as Trump’s remarks. President George W. Bush’s 2001 Kwanzaa statement was 172 words long. And in 2009, Barack Obama issued a statement with 196 words.

Rage-inducing in that people give a shit about the number of words in a statement.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:59 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
This is like that guy who would measure column inches in the Tribune to prove the Sox got less coverage, except about a Black Power pseudo-holiday.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:01 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
tommy wrote:
Rage-inducing . . .

Gawker wrote:

Rage-inducing in that people give a shit about the number of words in a statement.
People used to get rightfully upset at how everything Obama did got critiqued on small details by people that didn't like him. Now, we have people are doing it by word count statements about a holiday that no one really seems to celebrate anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:21 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
tommy wrote:
Rage-inducing . . .

Gawker wrote:

Indeed! I'm just relieved Trump tweeted about it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:23 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
tommy wrote:
Rage-inducing . . .

Gawker wrote:

People used to get rightfully upset at how everything Obama did got critiqued on small details by people that didn't like him. Now, we have people are doing it by word count statements about a holiday that no one really seems to celebrate anyways.

Yep, the same, silly criticisms...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:48 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:
The National Retail Federation has sponsored a marketing survey on winter holidays since 2004, and in 2015 found that 1.9% of those polled planned to celebrate Kwanzaa – about six million people.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:08 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tall Midget wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:
The National Retail Federation has sponsored a marketing survey on winter holidays since 2004, and in 2015 found that 1.9% of those polled planned to celebrate Kwanzaa – about six million people.

Happy Kwanzaa to the world’s 6 million people who celebrate Kwanzaa. And to the remaining 8 billion people, including Muslims Atheists Hindus Buddhists Animists Christians & Jews, Happy Wednesday.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Tall Midget wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:

That is a really big poll. I'm surprised they were able to get 300M respondents.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:16 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:

Happy Kwanzaa to the world’s 6 million people who celebrate Kwanzaa. And to the remaining 8 billion people, including Muslims Atheists Hindus Buddhists Animists Christians & Jews, Happy Wednesday.

The National Retail Federation survey refers to people living in the U.S. not the world population. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:18 am 

More canned outrage, this time by the great Jorge Rivas, noted Kwanzaa scholar. Does this affirm that the struggle is real too?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:

The National Retail Federation survey refers to people living in the U.S. not the world population. :wink:

Serious question- is Kwanzaa celebrated anywhere except the U.S.?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:53 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I think so, but I don't claim to be a Kwanzaa expert. Maybe Mike North knows.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I think so, but I don't claim to be a Kwanzaa expert. Maybe Mike North knows.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
This is like that guy who would measure column inches in the Tribune to prove the Sox got less coverage, except about a Black Power pseudo-holiday.

I know who that guy was from when he posted on WSI :lol:

I wonder how Henry is doing these days

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:

But aren't the vast majority of holidays "pseudo"?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:13 pm 

I apologize for underestimating the traditions of the Tall Midget family.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I hope this was a learning moment for you, Rick. I provisionally accept your apology.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Tall Midget wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I hope this was a learning moment for you, Rick. I provisionally accept your apology.

Tall Midget is a two percenter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Curious Hair wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:01 am 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Tall Midget is a two percenter.

The bottom two or the top two??

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
3 of the 5 most popular Deadspin posts this year were Trump-related posts without any sports tie-in: https://deadspin.com/the-100-most-popul ... 1821586859

4 of the 5 were Trump-related if you include the "OMG Melissa McCarthy as Spicer his THE BEST THING SINCE THE WIRE".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:45 am 

A white man said something vaguely bad about Beyonce? SOUND THE ALARMS!!!

https://themuse.jezebel.com/bono-is-sad ... 1821605203

Quote:
But in 2017, female artists have been permitted to grace the charts, and though Bono acknowledges there are “some good things” about seeing women thrive, Beyoncé’s musical ascent has in his estimation left the men with naught but one popular genre to dominate, even though nine out of 10 of the top tracks on Billboard’s Hot Rock Songs chart this week were released by male artists/bands.

“In the end, what is rock & roll? Rage is at the heart of it,” Bono told Rolling Stone, adding, “Some great rock & roll tends to have that, which is why the Who were such a great band. Or Pearl Jam. Eddie has that rage.” Today’s (white) men, though, reportedly have no music to call their own, and are therefore relegated only to releasing their rage at being the least oppressed members of society via mediums like film, television, national lawmaking, company CEOing, and Twitter-threading. To name a few.

One small problem, Bono doesn't mention Beyonce by name anywhere in the article.

The funniest part is that U2 is about as far from "white male rage" music as you can get. Does the dullard who wrote this think "With or Without You" is for bros? For that matter, does Bono?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:28 pm 

Brick posted Leitch's Deadspin column in the Trump thread, but embedded in it was something he wrote for New York magazine about the death of the NFL (maybe millennials killed it, lol):

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... e-nfl.html

Quote:
Compounding the problem — and the frustrations of NFL owners — has been the ascendancy of the NBA. Whereas the NFL felt like the sport that best fit the cultural spirit of the past decades of American life, it’s the NBA that reflects the future. All at once, the NBA has one of its greatest-ever teams (the Golden State Warriors), led by an inner-sanctum future Hall of Famer (Kevin Durant) and the league’s most beloved player (Stephen Curry); it has perhaps the best player since Michael Jordan (LeBron James), who also happens to be one of the most vital, globalist brand-called-me icons of our time; and it has a freewheeling, deeply pleasant style of play that is both an evolution of decades of on-court style and irresistible to watch. Perhaps more important, it has actively embraced the personalities, and the power, of its players, from the goofy man-child Twitter giddiness of 76ers star Joel Embiid to the Euro-charm of the Knicks’ own Kristaps Porzingis to an unprecedented spate of political activism culminating in the still-surreal spectacle of LeBron calling President Trump “U bum” on Twitter (which actually shut Trump up; he hasn’t talked about the NBA since). The NBA is vibrant and organic and alive; the NFL feels both toxic and bathed in amber. The league won’t even let the players take their helmets off to celebrate; how much could we possibly be expected to care about these people?

Is the NBA really doing that well? This just screams Elite Media Bubble to me, this idea that everyone is as fascinated by the NBA as people who work or used to work at Deadspin are. I'm pretty sure there are huge swaths of this country that don't care about a league with a tedious bullshit regular season where only four or five out of thirty teams are relevant, and plenty of people who are outright hostile to it in their preference for the college game. But guys guys guys, large, child-brained black man Joel Embiid has funny broken English on Twitter, guys!! And I'm sure nothing is more vibrant and alive than 7,000 people sitting on their hands at a Suns/Pelicans/Kings/Timberwolves game. The NFL's problems shouldn't be taken lightly but let's not act as if the NBA is really nipping at their heels here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
Brick posted Leitch's Deadspin column in the Trump thread, but embedded in it was something he wrote for New York magazine about the death of the NFL (maybe millennials killed it, lol):

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... e-nfl.html

Quote:
Compounding the problem — and the frustrations of NFL owners — has been the ascendancy of the NBA. Whereas the NFL felt like the sport that best fit the cultural spirit of the past decades of American life, it’s the NBA that reflects the future. All at once, the NBA has one of its greatest-ever teams (the Golden State Warriors), led by an inner-sanctum future Hall of Famer (Kevin Durant) and the league’s most beloved player (Stephen Curry); it has perhaps the best player since Michael Jordan (LeBron James), who also happens to be one of the most vital, globalist brand-called-me icons of our time; and it has a freewheeling, deeply pleasant style of play that is both an evolution of decades of on-court style and irresistible to watch. Perhaps more important, it has actively embraced the personalities, and the power, of its players, from the goofy man-child Twitter giddiness of 76ers star Joel Embiid to the Euro-charm of the Knicks’ own Kristaps Porzingis to an unprecedented spate of political activism culminating in the still-surreal spectacle of LeBron calling President Trump “U bum” on Twitter (which actually shut Trump up; he hasn’t talked about the NBA since). The NBA is vibrant and organic and alive; the NFL feels both toxic and bathed in amber. The league won’t even let the players take their helmets off to celebrate; how much could we possibly be expected to care about these people?

Is the NBA really doing that well? This just screams Elite Media Bubble to me, this idea that everyone is as fascinated by the NBA as people who work or used to work at Deadspin are. I'm pretty sure there are huge swaths of this country that don't care about a league with a tedious bullshit regular season where only four or five out of thirty teams are relevant, and plenty of people who are outright hostile to it in their preference for the college game. But guys guys guys, large, child-brained black man Joel Embiid has funny broken English on Twitter, guys!! And I'm sure nothing is more vibrant and alive than 7,000 people sitting on their hands at a Suns/Pelicans/Kings/Timberwolves game. The NFL's problems shouldn't be taken lightly but let's not act as if the NBA is really nipping at their heels here.

The NBA is a niche sport.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:44 pm 

I wouldn't go that far, but I would say that there are far fewer NBA obsessives than there are NFL obsessives. Also, the NBA obsessives are uh. noy. ing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Curious Hair wrote:
I wouldn't go that far, but I would say that there are far fewer NBA obsessives than there are NFL obsessives. Also, the NBA obsessives are uh. noy. ing.

Afternoons, 1 to 6!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:56 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Link is all you need to read.

https://deadspin.com/chicagos-young-big-men-rule-so-hard-right-now-1821668189

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Leitch's 2017 Funbag was just his 2016 with references to nuclear war. Histrionic and not entertaining. I can't believe I liked him and Deadspin ten years ago.

The NBA fetishization is bizarre too.

Leitch, Deadspin and others remind me of Girls (Dunham & navel gazing with a crippling lack of self awareness) but for male sport fans.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:35 pm 

Lost on Leitch is that much of the NFL's drop in interest relates to social issues. If Colin Kaepernick, who does not even play in the NFL, chaps your ass that much, why would you be interested in the NBA? Yeah, normal people can't get enough of Russell Westbrook having instagram feuds because someone said his shoes look like a fam.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 51  Next