It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:50 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Nas wrote:
When is the right time to protest injustice and oppression? Should it be peaceful? Should it be silent? Where should the protests be held? How do you do it without pissing off the majority of white America? How do you get the majority white America to be supportive of your cause?

It's 2017 but JORR and MANY others are still making the tired arguments that have been made for decades. There will never be a time where the majority of white America will be sympathetic to any cause that doesn't involve them. People can tie themselves in knots trying to explain how or why this protest is being done improperly but the same will be true for every future protest.

Personally, I'm perplexed that the "Listen, white people..." and "It's time white people...." strategies haven't been unqualified successes in mobilizing white voters.

Booker T. Washington approach hasn't worked all that well either. Maybe you hadn't noticed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:53 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
When is the right time to protest injustice and oppression? Should it be peaceful? Should it be silent? Where should the protests be held? How do you do it without pissing off the majority of white America? How do you get the majority white America to be supportive of your cause?

It's 2017 but JORR and MANY others are still making the tired arguments that have been made for decades. There will never be a time where the majority of white America will be sympathetic to any cause that doesn't involve them. People can tie themselves in knots trying to explain how or why this protest is being done improperly but the same will be true for every future protest.

I'm not making any argument at all. I'm just pointing out that MANY people don't like guys kneeling for the anthem. Do they have that right?

You're not but you are. The majority of white America has a right to feel however they want to feel. Reality is there will NEVER be a cause that doesn't involve them that they will be supportive of. The complaints about every protest is just bullshit in the end.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

Nas wrote:

Personally, I'm perplexed that the "Listen, white people..." and "It's time white people...." strategies haven't been unqualified successes in mobilizing white voters.

Pretty please hasn't exactly been effective either. Anything short of saying things are perfect will likely be ignored or have some propaganda created to attack it. If there is a solution that will get the majority of white America on board I am willing to listen.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
JLN, what is your proposed solution for the nation's issues, outside of shipping black Americans back to Africa?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:01 pm 
100000 CLUB

leashyourkids wrote:
Nas wrote:

I agree with some of that. He should be able to protest, as should the others. That just doesn't entitle him to a job.

It doesn't entitle him to anything.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

I'm not making any argument at all. I'm just pointing out that MANY people don't like guys kneeling for the anthem. Do they have that right?

You're not but you are. The majority of white America has a right to feel however they want to feel. Reality is there will NEVER be a cause that doesn't involve them that they will be supportive of. The complaints about every protest is just bullshit in the end.

Now you're going to tell me what I'm saying. I'm not sure what "white America" is, but it seems like language specifically designed to be divisive.

If you're going to take the posture that as a black American you see the United States as an illegitimate entity built on slavery that deserves zero respect so fuck that fucking flag, I can find such a position understandable. But if that's the case, what is the answer? Do you want to disband the Union? Break the USA? Kill me because I'm white?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

Pretty please hasn't exactly been effective either. Anything short of saying things are perfect will likely be ignored or have some propaganda created to attack it. If there is a solution that will get the majority of white America on board I am willing to listen.

I gave you one...take a game off. All the players. Destroy the NFL, destroy the perception of entitled athletes by foregoing a game check, destroy the media that covers the game. It would be a scorched earth move. We're not playing until X, Y and Z are enacted. Watch it happen overnight. Challenge the powers that be in the place they hurt the most, the pocketbook.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:04 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

I gave you one...take a game off. All the players. Destroy the NFL, destroy the perception of entitled athletes by foregoing a game check, destroy the media that covers the game. It would be a scorched earth move. We're not playing until X, Y and Z are enacted. Watch it happen overnight. Challenge the powers that be in the place they hurt the most, the pocketbook.

I hope so much that this happens.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
As far as I'm aware, folks have a right to their own personal opinions, however stupid they may be.

As far as I'm aware, folks do not have a right to their own personal "facts".

Framing this protest as someone not loving the flag .... really? What sane person loves the flag? I love desk ... I love, ... lamp ... I love flag.

Framing this protest as ANYTHING to do with the military and that whole line of bullshit is just that ... bullshit.

Unfortunately, strident, prideful ignorance reigns supreme these days - purposeful or otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
City of Fools wrote:
Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

Amazing Grace wasn't afraid to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:08 pm 

I hereby proclaim JLN as the undisputed King of Whataboutism

And Snopes has that as false. I know, I know...liberal slant.

http://www.snopes.com/samantha-bees-husband-school/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:10 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Nas wrote:
When is the right time to protest injustice and oppression?.

Don't forget "lobbying the school board to not redistrict your elite Manhattan school zone to include more blacks".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

Don Tiny wrote:
As far as I'm aware, folks have a right to their own personal opinions, however stupid they may be.

Framing this protest as someone not loving the flag .... really? What sane person loves the flag? I love desk ... I love, ... lamp ... I love flag.

Framing this protest as ANYTHING to do with the military and that whole line of bullshit is just that ... bullshit.

Unfortunately, strident, prideful ignorance reigns supreme these days - purposeful or otherwise.

Again though, symbols are powerful. You talk about the flag, there is an association with the military, people who died, not specifically for the flag, but for what it represents. It's why you and I would rightfully probably get the shit kicked out of us if we decided to put on SS uniforms and go to Real Time Sports to yuk it up over tumblers of whiskey even though it's our "right" to do so and we really aren't hurting anyone.

Also, I would remind Nas that there are black people who don't like the kneeling during the anthem either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Don Tiny wrote:

C'mon Don you know MANY people love the flag, be it wrong or irrational to you. The NFL players KNOW that too. Why the hell else are they using the flag? Because it WILL get attention. It WILL irritate MANY people.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:14 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

Again though, symbols are powerful. You talk about the flag, there is an association with the military, people who died, not specifically for the flag, but for what it represents. It's why you and I would rightfully probably get the shit kicked out of us if we decided to put on SS uniforms and go to Real Time Sports to yuk it up over tumblers of whiskey even though it's our "right" to do so and we really aren't hurting anyone.

The protest has nothing to do with the military though. In fact, the protest was changed (from sitting to kneeling) was so that military would NOT be offended and the knee is respect for them.

Its so crazy how many people try to spin it into that. Not surprising though.

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:14 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

Also, I would remind Nas that there are black people who don't like the kneeling during the anthem either.

nationalism was at a pretty high point before the national anthem became a must play at every sporting event. We should go back to not playing it, it's silly to me. Play the Bears fight song, something else.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

Now you're going to tell me what I'm saying. I'm not sure what "white America" is, but it seems like language specifically designed to be divisive.

If you're going to take the posture that as a black American you see the United States as an illegitimate entity built on slavery that deserves zero respect so fuck that fucking flag, I can find such a position understandable. But if that's the case, what is the answer? Do you want to disband the Union? Break the USA? Kill me because I'm white?

This post here tells me everything I ever need to know about what you think and what's in your heart.

Do the veterans that kneel also hate veterans and the flag? Do you find the support of this cause by those black and white men and women understandable? Do you always see attempts by those who want to make positive change as a threat to your life and OUR country?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:

The same tired excuses from 1956 about not wanting to integrate schools.

Don Tiny wrote:

The connection to the military is weak but the originator made it about "pride in the flag" and his desire to show that he doesn't have it. That is a fact.

City of Fools wrote:
Play the Bears fight song, something else.

Go Cubs Go

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
rogers park bryan wrote:

He lobbied against a plan that would have put his white children in school with more black children, that is undeniable.

Given similar facts, people of his and his wife's ideological bent have had no problem calling opposition to such plans classist and racist.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

This post here tells me everything I ever need to know about what you think and what's in your heart.

Do the veterans that kneel also hate veterans and the flag? Do you find the support of this cause by those black and white men and women understandable? Do you always see attempts by those who want to make positive change as a threat to your life and OUR country?

I don't know what you're surmising, but I'm guessing it's wrong. I don't care about this issue at all. Kneel away. But it should be obvious that a whole lot of people don't like it. Some of them are even black.

Do you think this protest is making America better?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

Like do you want to hear an honest try at a practical solution, or just something that you can call racist?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:23 pm 

Nas has me on ignore.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:24 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

The same tired excuses from 1956 about not wanting to integrate schools.

Yea, that's fine, Id be skeptical of that too. No one is going to admit its about race.

But again, that list of protests that are not cool with people is a good point. Im sorry I didnt just cut her name out of it, because now it's no longer a good point because the person who said it is not perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:24 pm 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

I don't know what you're surmising, but I'm guessing it's wrong. I don't care about this issue at all. Kneel away. But it should be obvious that a whole lot of people don't like it. Some of them are even black.

Do they make the majority of white America happy? No. Are these conversations healthy? Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:25 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

He lobbied against a plan that would have put his white children in school with more black children, that is undeniable.

Given similar facts, people of his and his wife's ideological bent have had no problem calling opposition to such plans classist and racist.

Ok.

The list I posted stands. It was probably one of her writers who had nothing to do with that anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:26 pm 
100000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

Like do you want to hear an honest try at a practical solution, or just something that you can call racist?

I don't call many things racist but I am definitely interested in a pratical solution.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:26 pm 
100000 CLUB

City of Fools wrote:
Nas has me on ignore.

Not at all my friend. I just don't think that will make the majority of white America sympathetic.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:27 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Not directed at me, but imo, yes.

Pretending the problem doesn't exist definitely makes America worse. At least, we have some honesty going for us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 34  Next