It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:28 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
Nas wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Nas wrote:
When is the right time to protest injustice and oppression? Should it be peaceful? Should it be silent? Where should the protests be held? How do you do it without pissing off the majority of white America? How do you get the majority white America to be supportive of your cause?

It's 2017 but JORR and MANY others are still making the tired arguments that have been made for decades. There will never be a time where the majority of white America will be sympathetic to any cause that doesn't involve them. People can tie themselves in knots trying to explain how or why this protest is being done improperly but the same will be true for every future protest.

Personally, I'm perplexed that the "Listen, white people..." and "It's time white people...." strategies haven't been unqualified successes in mobilizing white voters.

Pretty please hasn't exactly been effective either. Anything short of saying things are perfect will likely be ignored or have some propaganda created to attack it. If there is a solution that will get the majority of white America on board I am willing to listen.

I gave you one...take a game off. All the players. Destroy the NFL, destroy the perception of entitled athletes by foregoing a game check, destroy the media that covers the game. It would be a scorched earth move. We're not playing until X, Y and Z are enacted. Watch it happen overnight. Challenge the powers that be in the place they hurt the most, the pocketbook.

I dont think that would have near the effect you seem to think it would.

I believe that would make fans more pissed at the players than ever.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
I hereby proclaim JLN as the undisputed King of Whataboutism

And Snopes has that as false. I know, I know...liberal slant.

http://www.snopes.com/samantha-bees-husband-school/

The same tired excuses from 1956 about not wanting to integrate schools.

Yea, that's fine, Id be skeptical of that too. No one is going to admit its about race.

But again, that list of protests that are not cool with people is a good point. Im sorry I didnt just cut her name out of it, because now it's no longer a good point because the person who said it is not perfect.

Again, not about mere hypocrisy, it's about hypocrisy that runs completely counter, 90 degrees out of phase, with a person's overall message or brand. Like super-hypocrisy, or something.

Just like with Kaepernick: Lionizing Castro is low-level hypocrisy, but lionizing Castro when you are routinely touting yourself for universal equality and fair treatment from the government is....more than a bit of hypocrisy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Nas wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Nas has me on ignore.

Not at all my friend. I just don't think that will make the majority of white America sympathetic.

so all it is is a "discussion" to irritate certain people?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
rogers park bryan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:
When is the right time to protest injustice and oppression? Should it be peaceful? Should it be silent? Where should the protests be held? How do you do it without pissing off the majority of white America? How do you get the majority white America to be supportive of your cause?

It's 2017 but JORR and MANY others are still making the tired arguments that have been made for decades. There will never be a time where the majority of white America will be sympathetic to any cause that doesn't involve them. People can tie themselves in knots trying to explain how or why this protest is being done improperly but the same will be true for every future protest.

Personally, I'm perplexed that the "Listen, white people..." and "It's time white people...." strategies haven't been unqualified successes in mobilizing white voters.

Pretty please hasn't exactly been effective either. Anything short of saying things are perfect will likely be ignored or have some propaganda created to attack it. If there is a solution that will get the majority of white America on board I am willing to listen.

I gave you one...take a game off. All the players. Destroy the NFL, destroy the perception of entitled athletes by foregoing a game check, destroy the media that covers the game. It would be a scorched earth move. We're not playing until X, Y and Z are enacted. Watch it happen overnight. Challenge the powers that be in the place they hurt the most, the pocketbook.

why? the spin is the athletes are entitled. The spin is they're disrespecting the flag et al. This would fix both and really send a message to the true powers that be that business as usual will not work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I don't know what you're surmising, but I'm guessing it's wrong. I don't care about this issue at all. Kneel away. But it should be obvious that a whole lot of people don't like it. Some of them are even black.

Do you think this protest is making America better?

Kneeling, praying, sitting, standing, marching or anything else won't be liked by the majority of white America and some blacks too. That's been fairly clear for centuries.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:35 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Yea, that's fine, Id be skeptical of that too. No one is going to admit its about race.

But again, that list of protests that are not cool with people is a good point. Im sorry I didnt just cut her name out of it, because now it's no longer a good point because the person who said it is not perfect.

Again, not about mere hypocrisy, it's about hypocrisy that runs completely counter, 90 degrees out of phase, with a person's overall message or brand. Like super-hypocrisy, or something.

Just like with Kaepernick: Lionizing Castro is low-level hypocrisy, but lionizing Castro when you are routinely touting yourself for universal equality and fair treatment from the government is....more than a bit of hypocrisy.

See this is what happens though. Now we're debating Samantha Bee. The original subject "many forms of protest that are not approved" is completely washed away.

Is that the intent?

Because, again, the list is a valid point.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:36 pm 
100000 CLUB

Hatchetman wrote:
Nas wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Nas has me on ignore.

Not at all my friend. I just don't think that will make the majority of white America sympathetic.

so all it is is a "discussion" to irritate certain people?

Is that's what you take away from this? People are protesting injustice and oppression just to irritate white America?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:37 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

why? the spin is the athletes are entitled. The spin is they're disrespecting the flag et al. This would fix both and really send a message to the true powers that be that business as usual will not work.

You think refusing to play would make people think they are LESS entitled? Is that why players that holdout are so revered?

Cmon man.

Tell you what, go ask ANY fan who doesn't care for the kneeling what they would do if the players took a week off and get back to me. Sincerely, Id love to hear the responses.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:37 pm 

Nas wrote:
[

Is that's what you take away from this? People are protesting injustice and oppression just to irritate white America?

You just said it would not make white people sympathetic to the cause. So then what is the point of it? I'm asking you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Do you think this protest is making America better?

Do they make the majority of white America happy? No. Are these conversations healthy? Yes.

I don't think using terms like "white America" or "black America" is particularly helpful though. It assumes that all voices are the same based on skin color. And of course skin color plays a part in our experiences, but countless other things do too.

Maybe you misunderstood what I meant when I said I can understand a black American feeling different about the flag than a white person. I've had this conversation with a white guy who I consider a racist and one of his go-to lines is that "Michelle Obama doesn't love America like I do". My answer is always that her experiences are different than his. You have to be able to at least imagine what it's like to walk in the other guy's shoes.

That's my problem with the latest Coates article. I don't begrudge him his feelings. He just doesn't supply any answers. And beyond that, he's personally doing very well. Much better than most white people I know. I don't think it's right to say that Coates or Marc Lamont Hill are "blacker" than Thomas Sowell or Larry Elder. They all have different viewpoints and happen to be black.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:43 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Nas wrote:
[

You just said it would not make white people sympathetic to the cause. So then what is the point of it? I'm asking you.

Im just gonna keep answering for Nas like Im the king of the world.

The point is, no matter what white people wont back a movement that doesn't benefit them.

This is a separate point from the actual point of the protest.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 pm 

Nas wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Nas has me on ignore.

the time for that as a method is gone. It's time to seize the power you possess to fight the power you do not have. You're not going to appease, do something that changes the game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:45 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
[

The point is, no matter what white people wont back a movement that doesn't benefit them.

I just can't conceive of this viewpoint. Is that how YOU feel? You are white. At least I think so.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
RPB isn't white. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Nas wrote:
[

Is there a voting bloc that does?

Also, white people vote for shit that doesn't actually benefit them literally all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:51 pm 
100000 CLUB

Hatchetman wrote:
Nas wrote:
[

Then you missed the point of my initial post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:52 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
[

I just can't conceive of this viewpoint. Is that how YOU feel? You are white. At least I think so.

I am white.

I dont feel that way, but I think there are many who do.

I wouldnt limit it to white people. Empathy, true empathy is rare I think.

It's human nature to care more about yourself than the next guy.

It turns into something worse when you are actively trying to suppress or maintain the unjust status quo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:54 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Nas wrote:
[

Is there a voting bloc that does?

Also, white people vote for shit that doesn't actually benefit them literally all the time.

I already posted its not just white people.

And people dont willingly vote against their interests. They vote against the poor because the rich tell them the poor are what's stopping THEM from being rich.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:54 pm 

I agree with the the general point that the players are making but I also have to admit that I'm getting fatigued by it being a story every week of the season for the past two years. I blame the recent stuff on Trump and now Pence though. I'd feel the same way if every week we had to hear about global warming or Wall Street though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:55 pm 

Frankly I don't think that this protest has been effective, but ironically Kaepernick's continuing good deeds are getting virtually completely ignored. Especially from the whatabout sects.

I'm still waiting on that group to revert back to the calls to take politics out of sports. Including teams out for the anthem or the flag farce that the NFL has long since cashed the 12 million in checks from the DOD.

As to supplying answers, that's laughable. Step one toward an answer requires an honest self examination of the of this country's history and current status. And MANY have proven themselves to be generally unwilling and or incapable of such.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:55 pm 

This whole thread has got my head spinning. I'm trying to better myself really, but I don't think this is helping.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:58 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
[

I am white.

It turns into something worse when you are actively trying to suppress or maintain the unjust status quo

there are empathetic people. They're just a small class. Empathy knows no race. There's empathetic people of all colors.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:01 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

You bash Kaepernick for lionizing Castro but have you ever bashed Trump for lionizing Putin? What about his comments regarding Neo Nazis?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Regular Reader wrote:
Frankly I don't think that this protest has been effective, but ironically Kaepernick's continuing good deeds are getting virtually completely ignored.

The real shame in it all. The guy that starts it and backs it up with his time and money gets left out in the cold and now everyone does it because it's cool to hate on Trump and the message that he was trying to get across is totally lost. Missing the forest for the trees.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:02 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
[

I am white.

there are empathetic people. They're just a small class. Empathy knows no race. There's empathetic people of all colors.

I agree. That's why I said rare instead of non existent.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Regular Reader wrote:
Frankly I don't think that this protest has been effective, but ironically Kaepernick's continuing good deeds are getting virtually completely ignored. Especially from the whatabout sects.

I'm still waiting on that group to revert back to the calls to take politics out of sports. Including teams out for the anthem or the flag farce that the NFL has long since cashed the 12 million in checks from the DOD.

As to supplying answers, that's laughable. Step one toward an answer requires an honest self examination of the of this country's history and current status. And MANY have proven themselves to be generally unwilling and or incapable of such.

Yeah, Kaepernick is walking the walk.

Trump is responsible for blowing this thing up and he keeps hitting it because it plays well to many Americans, most of all his core voters.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
long time guy wrote:
You bash Kaepernick for lionizing Castro but have you ever bashed Trump for lionizing Putin? What about his comments regarding Neo Nazis?

It is quotes like this one where people wonder about some of the things you say. when someone is discussing something it is not always necessary to have another opinion at all on something else. In this case you get on JLN about Castro but not corresponding Trump criticism.

Why is that? If I am talking to you about Castro why do I have to weigh in on anything else at all?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Frankly I don't think that this protest has been effective, but ironically Kaepernick's continuing good deeds are getting virtually completely ignored.

The real shame in it all. The guy that starts it and backs it up with his time and money gets left out in the cold and now everyone does it because it's cool to hate on Trump and the message that he was trying to get across is totally lost. Missing the forest for the trees.

Pretty true. Trump took the power away and gave it to the patriots he hopes still support him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

The message was being ignored long before the president jumped into it again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:11 pm 
100000 CLUB

JLN don't forget about me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next