It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Nas wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Frankly I don't think that this protest has been effective, but ironically Kaepernick's continuing good deeds are getting virtually completely ignored.

The real shame in it all. The guy that starts it and backs it up with his time and money gets left out in the cold and now everyone does it because it's cool to hate on Trump and the message that he was trying to get across is totally lost. Missing the forest for the trees.

The message was being ignored long before the president jumped into it again.

Yeah, I suppose that is true.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Nas wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Frankly I don't think that this protest has been effective, but ironically Kaepernick's continuing good deeds are getting virtually completely ignored.

The real shame in it all. The guy that starts it and backs it up with his time and money gets left out in the cold and now everyone does it because it's cool to hate on Trump and the message that he was trying to get across is totally lost. Missing the forest for the trees.

The message was being ignored long before the president jumped into it again.

Yep. People were quite comfortable losing the message months ago with all the talk of what a distraction he'd be.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:24 pm 

pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:
You bash Kaepernick for lionizing Castro but have you ever bashed Trump for lionizing Putin? What about his comments regarding Neo Nazis?

It is quotes like this one where people wonder about some of the things you say. when someone is discussing something it is not always necessary to have another opinion at all on something else. In this case you get on JLN about Castro but not corresponding Trump criticism.

Why is that? If I am talking to you about Castro why do I have to weigh in on anything else at all?

I'm sure RPB picked up on the personal attack. As far as Kaepernicks Castro comment if it were factually correct them what difference does it make?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Nas wrote:
JLN don't forget about me.

I think it is absurd for a political movement seeking to practically implement change to adopt an adversarial position against white voters. The minute people sense an adversarial tone (whites, after all, can only rise to the rank of "ally" in certain movements) they retreat into the recesses of their own ideology and the chances that they actually listen to what you have to say goes down by an order of magnitude.

I further thought it unwise to paint certain problems facing our society as something whites have to help aleviate for others, rather than whites being knee-deep in it, back-to-back with all other races fighting outward against a singular evil. Not "you have to help with this" but instead "this is our problem, let's do something about it".

As for specific tactics, I think there is a lot of political hay to be made by leveraging BLM as a brand name to fight against all under-scrutinized police violence.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:46 pm 

long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:
You bash Kaepernick for lionizing Castro but have you ever bashed Trump for lionizing Putin? What about his comments regarding Neo Nazis?

It is quotes like this one where people wonder about some of the things you say. when someone is discussing something it is not always necessary to have another opinion at all on something else. In this case you get on JLN about Castro but not corresponding Trump criticism.

Why is that? If I am talking to you about Castro why do I have to weigh in on anything else at all?

I'm sure RPB picked up on the personal attack. As far as Kaepernicks Castro comment if it were factually correct them what difference does it make?

I notice that instead of discussing Castro or Kaepernick's support you are questioning the poster's credentials.

JLN can think Trump is Superman (different debate), it changes NOTHING about Kaepernick or his support of Castro.

If you are characterizing pittmike's post as a personal attack then holy shit...Im speechless.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:18 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I notice that instead of discussing Castro or Kaepernick's support you are questioning the poster's credentials.

JLN can think Trump is Superman (different debate), it changes NOTHING about Kaepernick or his support of Castro.

If you are characterizing pittmike's post as a personal attack then holy shit...Im speechless.

He addressed me and not the post didn't he?

If Kaepernick praises Castro's education system that doesn't mean that he supports Castro. I don't know why he didn't denounce Castro for human right's violations but why is any of that relevant to the singing of the national anthem?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:46 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
I hereby proclaim JLN as the undisputed King of Whataboutism

And Snopes has that as false. I know, I know...liberal slant.

http://www.snopes.com/samantha-bees-husband-school/

The same tired excuses from 1956 about not wanting to integrate schools.

Yea, that's fine, Id be skeptical of that too. No one is going to admit its about race.

But again, that list of protests that are not cool with people is a good point. Im sorry I didnt just cut her name out of it, because now it's no longer a good point because the person who said it is not perfect.

Again, not about mere hypocrisy, it's about hypocrisy that runs completely counter, 90 degrees out of phase, with a person's overall message or brand. Like super-hypocrisy, or something.

Just like with Kaepernick: Lionizing Castro is low-level hypocrisy, but lionizing Castro when you are routinely touting yourself for universal equality and fair treatment from the government is....more than a bit of hypocrisy.

The use of the term lionizing is an exaggeration too. Kaepernick if I'm going to infer probably originally wore the T-shirt with regards to Castro the revolutionary and not Castro the Dictator. He also alluded to Malcolm X which leads me to believe that he has a thing for revolutionary types. Many people that fashion themselves as revolutionaries have taken to that sort of garb. When pressed he referenced the education system. If I had to fathom a response that would be it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
When is the right time to protest injustice and oppression? Should it be peaceful? Should it be silent? Where should the protests be held? How do you do it without pissing off the majority of white America? How do you get the majority white America to be supportive of your cause?

It's 2017 but JORR and MANY others are still making the tired arguments that have been made for decades. There will never be a time where the majority of white America will be sympathetic to any cause that doesn't involve them. People can tie themselves in knots trying to explain how or why this protest is being done improperly but the same will be true for every future protest.

I'm not making any argument at all. I'm just pointing out that MANY people don't like guys kneeling for the anthem. Do they have that right?

You're not but you are. The majority of white America has a right to feel however they want to feel. Reality is there will NEVER be a cause that doesn't involve them that they will be supportive of. The complaints about every protest is just bullshit in the end.

I agree. White Americans like below are the problem here

Nas wrote:
This helps Trump. MANY people believe that our country has lost its identity.

Nas wrote:
I think there is some truth to their gripe. People aren't really proud to be an American anymore.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Clearly no one has the pulse of White America better than me. White America, I could be one of your kids...

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:33 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Where is all this "oppression" people are complaining about?!

http://abc7chicago.com/sports/ditka-no- ... s/2515472/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Nas wrote:
Clearly no one has the pulse of White America better than me. White America, I could be one of your kids...

There is a terrible dove soap commercial joke here to make.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
long time guy wrote:
The use of the term lionizing is an exaggeration too. Kaepernick if I'm going to infer probably originally wore the T-shirt with regards to Castro the revolutionary and not Castro the Dictator. He also alluded to Malcolm X which leads me to believe that he has a thing for revolutionary types. Many people that fashion themselves as revolutionaries have taken to that sort of garb. When pressed he referenced the education system. If I had to fathom a response that would be it.

Haha. Sorry, but this cracked me up. Hitler was a revolutionary as well. I suppose if I wear a Hitler shirt during his upstart revolutionary days versus his dictator days, then I can justify it being ok.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:50 am 

Maybe FAKE NEWS but interesting wardrobe.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:10 am 
100000 CLUB

They're missing kneel.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:17 pm 

The Commish trying to put a stop to it.

NEW YORK -- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says the league needs to "move past this controversy" over the National Anthem.

In a letter to team executives that was obtained by CNNMoney, Goodell wrote that the dispute "is threatening to erode the unifying power of our game, and is now dividing us, and our players, from many fans across the country."

"Like many of our fans, we believe that everyone should stand for the National Anthem," he wrote. "It is an important moment in our game. We want to honor our flag and our country, and our fans expect that of us."

The National Anthem protest began in 2016 when 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick took a knee rather than stand as the song played. He used the demonstration as a way to speak out against the treatment of black Americans, particularly by police.

Since then more players have joined the protest.

President Trump decried the kneeling protests during a campaign-style rally in Alabama in September. Trump said that any players who refused to stand should be fired.

"Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, 'Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out! He's fired. He's fired!'" the president said at a rally for Republican senator Luther Strange, who went on to lose.

After Trump's attack, hundreds of players joined the protest and the NFL promoted the message that it was unified. Several owners released statements criticizing the president's comments and some locked arms with their players during the anthem.

This past Sunday, Vice President Mike Pence left a game between the Indianapolis Colts and San Francisco 49ers as players took a knee during the anthem. President Trump tweeted that he had instructed Pence to leave the game if players didn't stand for the anthem.

Currently, there is no rule that requires players to stand.

The game operations manual says that players "should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking."

According to an NFL spokesman, team owners will discuss the National Anthem protest and possible changes to NFL guidelines when they meet next week.

In his memo to execs, Goodell said "we also care deeply about our players and respect their opinions and concerns about critical social issues. The controversy over the Anthem is a barrier to having honest conversations and making real progress on the underlying issues."

"We need to move past this controversy, and we want to do that together with our players."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:29 pm 
100000 CLUB

I wasn't for it but after this and the stuff from the executive branch and Jerry Jones I may kneel before the game on Sunday. Fuck them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:32 pm 

BOYCOT NAS!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
The best way to avoid this would be not to sing the stupid anthem at all.

"It pains us that it has had to come to this, but we are left with no other choice but to blah blah blah"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
Goodell is getting pressure from the owners to end it since ratings, and in turn, profits are dropping. Goodell was quick to criticize Trump, but as much of a dumb ass Trump is, he was smart in his approach of changing the narrative of the protests against America. This whole kneeling went from Kap protesting police brutality and other players taking up the same mantra, to the NFL owners using it to promote "unity" to Trump turning it by saying protesting is against America. While I wasn't a fan of the protesting, I knew what the point of it was.

Goodell is a stooge. He attacked Trump when it was convenient, and all the owners were kneeling for unity. Now that people the message has been muddled due to a multitude of reasons and owners ultimately caring about the bottom line, Goodell has to do what he can to get it to stop, or else he needs to worry about his own job.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
The NFL and players should continue kneeling. An irrationally angry fan can convince himself to turn off the game in protest of a protest in any given week. But NFL fans are addicts. They can't stay away for any material amount of time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
SuperMario wrote:
Goodell is getting pressure from the owners to end it since ratings, and in turn, profits are dropping. Goodell was quick to criticize Trump, but as much of a dumb ass Trump is, he was smart in his approach of changing the narrative of the protests against America. This whole kneeling went from Kap protesting police brutality and other players taking up the same mantra, to the NFL owners using it to promote "unity" to Trump turning it by saying protesting is against America. While I wasn't a fan of the protesting, I knew what the point of it was.

Goodell is a stooge. He attacked Trump when it was convenient, and all the owners were kneeling for unity. Now that people the message has been muddled due to a multitude of reasons and owners ultimately caring about the bottom line, Goodell has to do what he can to get it to stop, or else he needs to worry about his own job.

I think the players also had a hand in diluting the message of Kaepernick's original protest. It has expanded from police brutality against black Americans, to racial inequality in America, to anti-Trump, to now systemic oppression that isn't really systemic oppression.

When there are so many voices saying "THIS is what we're protesting", and the "this" part is always kinda different and sometimes wildly divergent, it makes it easier for someone to whisper "they're really protesting THIS" in the ears of onlookers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
The Commish trying to put a stop to it.

This guy has no backbone. No convictions. What a joke. It's almost like he's trying to look unprincipled and spineless, like a stock character in a movie.

Goodell, I mean. Not so much Terry's Peeps.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:14 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
SuperMario wrote:

I think the players also had a hand in diluting the message of Kaepernick's original protest. It has expanded from police brutality against black Americans, to racial inequality in America, to anti-Trump, to now systemic oppression that isn't really systemic oppression.

When there are so many voices saying "THIS is what we're protesting", and the "this" part is always kinda different and sometimes wildly divergent, it makes it easier for someone to whisper "they're really protesting THIS" in the ears of onlookers.

The Anti Trump stuff was brought on by Trump himself. He wasn't in the conversation prior to making those comments. That is probably what bothered him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
SFW
https://i.imgur.com/5YB7XZg.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Ah yes, "the unifying power of our game," that's sure a something.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

Da Coach has spoken.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/10/10/ ... ppression/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Jobu
Why should I care whether somebody kneels for the national anthem? Everyone has a right to their opinion. It does not make me enjoy the National Football League any less. It is not like I turn to football players for guidance on important social issues. Laugh out loud! "Hey, what do you think about what (random politician) said the other night?" "I do not know yet - let me check on how Eli Manning feels about it first." Ha ha ha!

1999-2000-2009
----------
XXI - XXV - XLII - XLVI

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Goodell and the owners could put a stop to this by ending the politicization of the game that they themselves created by playing the national anthem while players were on the field in the first place. It's hard to say no to those Pentagon checks though, especially for a league in the kind of perilous financial state the NFL is in.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Do you think this protest is making America better?

Do they make the majority of white America happy? No. Are these conversations healthy? Yes.

I don't think using terms like "white America" or "black America" is particularly helpful though. It assumes that all voices are the same based on skin color. And of course skin color plays a part in our experiences, but countless other things do too.

Maybe you misunderstood what I meant when I said I can understand a black American feeling different about the flag than a white person. I've had this conversation with a white guy who I consider a racist and one of his go-to lines is that "Michelle Obama doesn't love America like I do". My answer is always that her experiences are different than his. You have to be able to at least imagine what it's like to walk in the other guy's shoes.

That's my problem with the latest Coates article. I don't begrudge him his feelings. He just doesn't supply any answers. And beyond that, he's personally doing very well. Much better than most white people I know. I don't think it's right to say that Coates or Marc Lamont Hill are "blacker" than Thomas Sowell or Larry Elder. They all have different viewpoints and happen to be black.

I use the term white America because that is where the overwhelming majority of of the complaints about this protest and MANY others come from. There is no need to pretend this hasn't historically been true whenever there is talk about oppression and equality.

No I don't understand what you mean when you say blacks may feel differently about the flag and America than a white person. I also completely disagree with your friend and MANY others that feel white America loves this country more than blacks ever can or will. I would argue that blacks love this country and what the flag represents more than white America. Despite being abused and oppressed we have fought and died for America. Fought and died for freedoms and opportunities that didn't apply to us. Every step of the way we have pushed her to become an even greater nation than she was. We stand with our hands over our hearts with pride because we love this country even though she doesn't always love us back.

Whenever blacks push America to make progress the majority of white America stands up and resist. Why? The majority of white America cares more about comfort than they care about equality and freedom. That's why a guy who has done as well as you have asks if blacks kneeling and protesting for equality want to kill you or completely destroy our country. This movement for progress makes you and the majority of white America uncomfortable.

Why dismiss what he says because of his bank account? His success is what has given him the platform to say these things. Coates writing started a dialogue. Same is true for Kaepernick's kneeling. It's a healthy and uncomfortable dialogue that hopefully will push America to even greater heights.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:00 pm 

SuperMario wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Haha. Sorry, but this cracked me up. Hitler was a revolutionary as well. I suppose if I wear a Hitler shirt during his upstart revolutionary days versus his dictator days, then I can justify it being ok.

Hitler wasn't a revolutionary. German people voted him and his party into office.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next