It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
ZephMarshack wrote:
America wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
So instead do nothing? That doesn't sound like a way to bring attention to the fact you think that the police in America are bullshit. In Kapernick's case though the rest of his career might not be that long considering he couldn't beat out Yo Gabba Gabbert on the depth chart.

Kneeling down is doing nothing. The only people who really care about it are the easily riled up military buffoons and gullible whiners who continue to believe empty symoblic gestures like Kaepernick's mean anything. These two group will bicker with each other over literally anything, I would hardly call sparking another argument between the two a new movement.

You guys are being way too reductive about this being nothing. Yes, Kaepernick is not Ali,but to pretend this is as empty as any Twitter beef is too hasty, especially given that it's coming in a context in which nearly all athletes these days generally try to appease their front offices and sponsors above all else. Brandon Marshall is losing sponsors for what he's doing; that's actual economic consequences to his actions, which is a bit more impactful than getting some partisans on the internet saying mean things about you.

Yup. Lots of dumbass comments in this thread. I was clearly right about Kap starting a movement. Let's see:

- Went from one guy kneeling to dozens of players
- literally started a nationwide conversation about his protest
- a backup QB lead the league in jersey sales. Maybe Tebow did it, but I can't ever remember that happening

The whole "it won't change anything" is a statement that has no value. It doesn't mean anything. Of course it probably won't change anything. Police are always going to murder innocent civilians in our nation. We empowered them to do so, and power doesn't voluntarily relinquish power.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:35 am 

cluv8484 wrote:
Absolute scumbag to pull that stunt during 9/11 anniversary weekend.

This is how players should be handling it...

Yeah, James Harrison is a fucking moron. It's like having Chas take your side in the argument. Not something I would brag about.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Sideswipe at chas OUTTA NOWHERE!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Frank Coztansa wrote:
If you use a bunch of said drugs that you deal, I doubt you take home all that much money. It basically supports your habit.

Ice Cube wrote:
To be a dopeman boy you must qualify
Don't get high off your own supply

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: ------
FavreFan wrote:
The whole "it won't change anything" is a statement that has no value. It doesn't mean anything. Of course it probably won't change anything. Police are always going to murder innocent civilians in our nation. We empowered them to do so, and power doesn't voluntarily relinquish power.

I agree with this. It won't change anything is such a reductive statement. Like obviously it isn't going to just end police brutality, but so MANY in this country get butthurt if you even bring up the fact that the police might be an issue. What should he do lead an armed revolt from the Bay Area that overthrows the cops? No? Then I guess he is going to have to settle for an incremental change in the awareness and discussion of this topic based on his protest. Like FF says I guess it worked on some level because people sure as fuck are paying attention to it.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:48 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

It's relative though. You're not trying to have more than Warren Buffet or denisdman. You're trying to have more than the guy next door.

You really are something. Just a guy tossing out all sorts of assertions, the proverbial throwing shit at the wall hoping some of it will stick. I've honestly had enough of it................

Why are you getting upset? You boast about all you have here all the time and you don't think people are going to give you shots about it? I'm certain I'm not the first.

:lol:

Only dman can talk about dman's fat stacks of cash.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
FavreFan wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
America wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
So instead do nothing? That doesn't sound like a way to bring attention to the fact you think that the police in America are bullshit. In Kapernick's case though the rest of his career might not be that long considering he couldn't beat out Yo Gabba Gabbert on the depth chart.

Kneeling down is doing nothing. The only people who really care about it are the easily riled up military buffoons and gullible whiners who continue to believe empty symoblic gestures like Kaepernick's mean anything. These two group will bicker with each other over literally anything, I would hardly call sparking another argument between the two a new movement.

You guys are being way too reductive about this being nothing. Yes, Kaepernick is not Ali,but to pretend this is as empty as any Twitter beef is too hasty, especially given that it's coming in a context in which nearly all athletes these days generally try to appease their front offices and sponsors above all else. Brandon Marshall is losing sponsors for what he's doing; that's actual economic consequences to his actions, which is a bit more impactful than getting some partisans on the internet saying mean things about you.

Yup. Lots of dumbass comments in this thread. I was clearly right about Kap starting a movement. Let's see:

- a backup QB lead the league in jersey sales. Maybe Tebow did it, but I can't ever remember that happening

Come on innocent? I would say the majority of people police shoot are done during the commission of a crime. That right there is a fucked up statement. I will give you some but it is a small percentage.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:51 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
ZephMarshack wrote:

I guess I just don't understand the end game here. If every NFL player kneels for the anthem for the rest of time, what does that solve? It's not like people weren't aware of these issues until this goof took a knee. If they really wanted to wake people the fuck up, they'd stop playing football. But then they'd have to have actual demands that could be met.

And I'm not gonna be surprised if DiCaro loses her job eventually because of a Twitter beef. You'll have to ask her if it was worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:04 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

It's relative though. You're not trying to have more than Warren Buffet or denisdman. You're trying to have more than the guy next door.

You really are something. Just a guy tossing out all sorts of assertions, the proverbial throwing shit at the wall hoping some of it will stick. I've honestly had enough of it................

Why are you getting upset? You boast about all you have here all the time and you don't think people are going to give you shots about it? I'm certain I'm not the first.

:lol:

Only dman can talk about dman's fat stacks of cash.
He built houses in New Orleans after Katrina!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:15 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I guess I just don't understand the end game here. If every NFL player kneels for the anthem for the rest of time, what does that solve? It's not like people weren't aware of these issues until this goof took a knee. If they really wanted to wake people the fuck up, they'd stop playing football. But then they'd have to have actual demands that could be met.

And I'm not gonna be surprised if DiCaro loses her job eventually because of a Twitter beef. You'll have to ask her if it was worth it.

Refusing to play isn't an option, unless the entire players union agrees. Even the good players would just be replaced and they lose their one platform to speak on these issues. Oh, and also refusing to play wouldn't change anything either. I'm not sure you can suggest something that would that these players can do. It's not up to them to get police to stop murdering people. It's up to people like you, me, and WaitingForRuffcorn. So things probably aren't changing.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:17 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
America wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:

The nationwide conversation is about respect for the flag/anthem, not about the topic for which he is supposedly kneeling.

The donation of money from the sale of jersys will do much more towards solving the problem then a very hollow symbolic act.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:17 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Refusing to play isn't an option

Amzaing Grace and Chuck disagree.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:21 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
America wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:

The nationwide conversation is about respect for the flag/anthem, not about the topic for which he is supposedly kneeling.

The donation of money from the sale of jersys will do much more towards solving the problem then a very hollow symbolic act.

You do understand what was responsible for all the money coming from those jersey sales, right?

Again, saying its hollow has proven untrue. MANY are joining his protest, he's donated over a million dollars(besides the jersey sales) and the 49ers have matched it, and other players are donating money now too to improve low income inner city communities.

But like I said, the protest is to get all of US to stop tacitly condoning murder by police officers, so you guys are right that nothing will change until WE, collectively, do. Which is to say it won't change for quite awhile. I don't understand disparaging their protest for our faults though.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
FarveFan started a movement !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Terry's Peeps wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I love that move. When the President calls the bad guys is a classic scene. Plus the song at the end is awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
Refusing to play isn't an option, unless the entire players union agrees. Even the good players would just be replaced and they lose their one platform to speak on these issues. Oh, and also refusing to play wouldn't change anything either. I'm not sure you can suggest something that would that these players can do. It's not up to them to get police to stop murdering people. It's up to people like you, me, and WaitingForRuffcorn. So things probably aren't changing.

Why is it up to us and not the players? They have a far bigger national platform to call for change. If the NFL Union said they would not be playing next Sunday, and they called for other unions to join then with a list of demands people would take notice. And there would be action of some sorts. Look what happened with Mizzou football. Money is the only way to get change to occur, and shutting off the NFL funnel of cash would make powerful people notice.

If we joined together and said we would stand by the highway in protest of the police to support BLM on Sundays, the only people who would notice would be our bartenders.

If all police shootings stopped it would be a great thing, but it would hardly put a dent into the gun violence in the country.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Bagels wrote:
FarveFan started a movement !

I started two movements this morning.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:33 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Why is it up to us and not the players? They have a far bigger national platform to call for change. If the NFL Union said they would not be playing next Sunday, and they called for other unions to join then with a list of demands people would take notice. And there would be action of some sorts. Look what happened with Mizzou football. Money is the only way to get change to occur, and shutting off the NFL funnel of cash would make powerful people notice.

If we joined together and said we would stand by the highway in protest of the police to support BLM on Sundays, the only people who would notice would be our bartenders.

If all police shootings stopped it would be a great thing, but it would hardly put a dent into the gun violence in the country.

It's up to us because there are 1500 NFL players and 300+ million of us. The fact is you and MANY others think police departments, as institutions, are not targeting black communities at a significantly disproportional rate. Until all of us wake up and realize they are, and demand that police are held accountable for murdering unarmed men, nothing will change. And MANY NFL players feel like you do, so that is why the NFLPA wouldn't come together for a united strike on something like this.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:45 pm 

chaspoppcap wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I love that move. When the President calls the bad guys is a classic scene. Plus the song at the end is awesome.

Agreed.

Alex English's greatest role.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:55 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
It's up to us because there are 1500 NFL players and 300+ million of us. The fact is you and MANY others think police departments, as institutions, are not targeting black communities at a significantly disproportional rate. Until all of us wake up and realize they are, and demand that police are held accountable for murdering unarmed men, nothing will change. And MANY NFL players feel like you do, so that is why the NFLPA wouldn't come together for a united strike on something like this.

I'm in if I can do this from my couch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
To understand James Harrison you need a clinical degree. He is a tough guy and always on. There have been athletes like Boomer E and in this link Shaq (http://www.si.com/nba/2016/09/07/shaq-s ... em-protest) who have questioned him while still supporting him.

Why are we still at some point where you are a dope or mouth breather if you support his cause but wish he chose another method? Why can't both points of view coexist?

Jorr said this in the JDC thread as she argued about this. I think he sums it up pretty well for me. "I certainly value equality more than form and ceremony, but in this instance pissing on form and ceremony isn't going to get us equality, and so we are left with neither equality nor form and ceremony."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
You guys do realize that Harrison Tweet was completely fake, right?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:56 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:

No I actually did not. It would not have surprised me if he did say it though. He is really out there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:00 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

If we "realized this" it would change? Sounds like believing in fairies in Peter Pan. You honestly people that police departments hate black people so much that they target them for random executions? I don't believe that to be the case, and all you have on this is faith because I do not see statistics that support that assumption.

Again, if they wanted to protest all police shootings. Or say that they wanted police to stop carrying guns, I believe it would would be a far more significant protest. I believe the ideal that it is open season on black people by the police to be both incorrect and dangerous for both parties.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:00 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
pittmike wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

No I actually did not. It would not have surprised me if he did say it though. He is really out there.

I don't have time to fact check everything on twitter. Harrison is a dope so it wouldn't have surprised me either way.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:04 pm 

Good for Harrison to use his free speech amendment rights.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:19 pm 

Again, if they wanted to protest all police shootings. Or say that they wanted police to stop carrying guns, I believe it would would be a far more significant protest. I believe the ideal that it is open season on black people by the police to be both incorrect and dangerous for both parties.

The idea to protest unjustified police shootings especially of black males is noble. I have to admit though I get quite overwhelmed by all the stats people are throwing around the board and other place to address the subject. So using targeting and disproportionate are not very clear terms. Simply from consuming news I can say its clear too many black men get shot by police. How it relates to anything else I can't say.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:27 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

If we "realized this" it would change? Sounds like believing in fairies in Peter Pan. You honestly people that police departments hate black people so much that they target them for random executions? I don't believe that to be the case, and all you have on this is faith because I do not see statistics that support that assumption.

You're the one using incendiary terms. Nobody is saving it's open season and you conveniently added "for random executions" to my quote about them targeting black people more than white people. Statistics clearly support that, but so does common sense and even a basic understanding of current events. It's also worth mentioning that Kaepernick mentioned police brutality overall before he mentioned anything about it disproportionally affecting black people.

And yes, when the country at large demands change, change happens. You're being disingenuous or naive if you disagree. See gay marriage for an example. There's too many people who don't really give a shit about the bodies in the streets to cause change as of right now.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
FavreFan wrote:
hnd wrote:
the big mistake all these dopes are making is the answer to the question "how long will you do this?" . Their response, "when it gets better?" motherfer you are just going to have to keep on doing it the rest of your career. wtf does it getting better look like? its probably always going to be bad in the eyes of someone! now when one day if you ever do stand for the anthem, a bunch of people are going to freak out on you "YOU THINK ITS BETTER!! ITS WORSE BBLAH BLABHLBABLHABLHB"

so stupid. now your dumbass has to kneel there like an idiot on principle because you created the most retarded vague parameters on the planet.

This is stupid. You're clearly not paying attention, at all. "Stop letting the police get away with murder" isn't vague at all. It's very specific.

Its the exact definition of vagueness. what constitutes murder? which cops are the bad ones? Sorry, there is a large contingent of court cases that say that many of these officers ARENT getting away with murder. EVERY legitimate take down of a black person also has a large group of people, specifically BLM people who often emotionally throw away ANY modicum of common sense and logic and deem this some systematic oppression of their people. THEY DO IT WHEN BLACK PEOPLE ARE SHOT AFTER SHOOTING AT COPS!. That doesn't mean real bad cops don't exist and it shouldn't be a topic of conversation and i'm certainly grateful its being taken care of in a way that is essentially non violent on the surface but there are real ramifications on a war on the police that may result in putting innocent people and officers in serious harm.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:35 pm 

hnd wrote:
Sorry, there is a large contingent of court cases that say that many of these officers ARENT getting away with murder.
Name the last 3 police officer related gun deaths that resulted in the police officer getting more than 5 years in jail.

You'll be looking for a long while. I think it is safe to assume that the police aren't perfect yet that is almost impossible to find.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 34  Next