It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cutting Cable?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
312player wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The tech is there that if they wanted to lock out sharing, they could easily do so.

I don't think the tech is there, they don't know if I'm on an IPad at a cottage in Michigan or my basement couch watching a TV.

Unless you are using a VPN, they know that and much more, they just choose to allow it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:07 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
pittmike wrote:
Right. Internet costs and a couple stream services and you might as well have kept cable.

It goes without saying that you have to look at what you were getting before cutting the cable and after. For us, we were already getting Netflix and Prime so I don’t include them in the equation. When we cut Direct TV our internet went up $10 month ($73 now) and I added the NHL Center Ice Package and I subscribe to Sling for a couple months every year. We went from our last bill of being $173 for Cable/Internet to averaging around $110 for the internet, Sling, and hockey. I am very happy with what I get and how much I pay.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Bagels wrote:
Should have done this long ago, but finally broke up with Directv
Was up to 150 ish , nearly 200 for the 4 months I paid for the NBA package
For now I have YouTube tv at 55/month promo and 65 after
Has worked perfectly fine for me so far and has all the channels I want
Got an indoor antenna too and got all the local channels and the all the sub channels , again everything comes in perfect
Really happy
The cancellation call wasn’t that bad either , I was on hold for quite a long time but once I did get through to someone it was relatively quick and painless. I think so many people are cancelling now that they just don’t care anymore , they barely made an effort to keep me and I’ve been a customer for 17 years

Hey Bagels,

How is the NBA league pass on YouTube TV? You get every game with home and away broadcasts? Is the picture and sound quality good? Can you DVR games and watch them before they are done recording and use your fast forward button?

Also, I read that you can get local channels with YouTube TV so I'm confused by your indoor antenna comment.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
shakes wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Got an indoor antenna too and got all the local channels and the all the sub channels , again everything comes in perfect
Really happy
The cancellation call wasn’t that bad either , I was on hold for quite a long time but once I did get through to someone it was relatively quick and painless. I think so many people are cancelling now that they just don’t care anymore , they barely made an effort to keep me and I’ve been a customer for 17 years

Hey Bagels,

How is the NBA league pass on YouTube TV? You get every game with home and away broadcasts? Is the picture and sound quality good? Can you DVR games and watch them before they are done recording and use your fast forward button?

Also, I read that you can get local channels with YouTube TV so I'm confused by your indoor antenna comment.

Maybe he feels the picture quality is better with the antenna as opposed to streaming. That can be nice for big prime time football games or the upcoming winter olympics?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:09 pm 

Many streaming platforms have better picture quality than ota nowadays.

But they are coming out with 4k ota, which should be pretty damn sweet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
IkeSouth wrote:

I highly doubt that.
Even before streaming, cable and satellite compressed their picture quality and were in inferior to OTA.

OTA picture quality is very, very good.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
BigW72 wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

I highly doubt that.
Even before streaming, cable and satellite compressed their picture quality and were in inferior to OTA.

what's OTA?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:45 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Over the Air (CH 2, 5, 7, 9, FOX etc)

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
shakes wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

I highly doubt that.

what's OTA?

(over the air)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
for all you young OTA fans, did you know you can get CBS at channel 48.3? in the burbs with most small antennas or the wall mat ones it's usually hard to a strong enough signal to display 2.1, so they created this 48.3 that has a much stronger signal.

there's also a whole world of OTA DVRs and devices that provide programming guides out there that i'm too afraid to invest in because they all sound like they'd be a headache for non tech users to access

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
shakes wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

I highly doubt that.

what's OTA?

shit man even i know what OTA is.

I went cheap and created my own antenna out of a coaxial cable and wired shirt hanger back on the islands.

It's easy to do and you can basically use anything lying around the house and it'll give you the same reception as buying some fancy antenna off amazon.

I'd suggest take a coaxial cable you aren't using, hook it up on back of your tv, and then tape the other end to on top of the tv or somewhere higher. Just that should do the trick.

here's one made by using a keychain :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI5u5-ng1tU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
billypootons wrote:
for all you young OTA fans, did you know you can get CBS at channel 48.3? in the burbs with most small antennas or the wall mat ones it's usually hard to a strong enough signal to display 2.1, so they created this 48.3 that has a much stronger signal.

there's also a whole world of OTA DVRs and devices that provide programming guides out there that i'm too afraid to invest in because they all sound like they'd be a headache for non tech users to access

I had understood that the digital switch included switching the signal to UHF for all channels, which decreased the range of the signal. That's why we lost Channel 11 altogether here across the Lake. I was also told that Channel 2 was the only holdout on VHF, and we kept our VHF antenna up the tower just to have the WBBM alternative to South Bend WSBT 22 CBS. They show Colts games over Bears games if simultaneous.

As for DVR, my IT tech son installed a set up for my Mom to use, it's just a digital converter box and external hard drive.The box does the tuning and stores the programs on the hard drive. We have had to replace both over the years, and the converter boxes are available new for under $40, or your local resale shop probably has a hundred of them for a dollar. We upgraded to an external SSD which is almost too fast for the converter, but it works to play today's afternoon Jeopardy! any time of day, and retain the show in memory for the rest of her life, no doubt.

I think it will work with a large zip drive, for that matter, you may just have to purge the storage more often.

My oldest just bought his first house, and I'm hoping he gets some sort of ESPN account I can mooch off of, for MNF games in particular.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:06 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
billypootons wrote:

That's what this article says
https://www.techhive.com/article/317317 ... tters.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:42 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

I highly doubt that.

no its really not. framerates are usually more stable, but even that isnt much a problem anymore. cable and satellite suck for quality the same way. good stable framerate, but you see compression artifacts in fast motion. high quality streaming doesnt have that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
shakes wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Really happy

Hey Bagels,

To answer part 2 of this question, YouTube TV does not have channel 9. I use an indoor HD antenna for that. And I am not sure about channel 11 either. The PBS i get on You Tube TV seems to come out of Milwaukee. (I live in Arlington Heights).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

We just did this. We already have Disney+, Prime Video, and Netflix.

Suggestions for the best way to go about sports viewing- YouTubeTV, Roku, etc?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:20 am 

I use youtube TV and augment with the 66 streams; chromecast to the TV.

https://nfl5.ir/simulator
https://nhl66.ir/simulator
https://mlb66.ir/simulator

For OTB experience often comcast sports (on youtube TV) shows trackside live. Or I either cast video feed from my twin spires account or use the TVG app on roku.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Thanks!

Yeah we dumped it all last months as well picked up the same . Also have Sling , paramount plus . Saving $140 a month over what our cable package was .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:49 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
badrogue17 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Thanks!

Yeah we dumped it all last months as well picked up the same . Also have Sling , paramount plus . Saving $140 a month over what our cable package was .

What do you use for internet service?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:59 am 
100000 CLUB

Thanks!

We use AT&T and generally have pretty good internet service and speed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:11 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Thanks!

u are dumb.

It's called cable dipshit. Every channel u want in one package and for one price.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:12 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
a genius wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nice!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I am coming up on a decade cable free later this year. Right now, the only video subscription I have is Peacock, but that's only because I get it complementary with one of my credit cards. I had ESPN+ through much of COVID, but I got rid of that last fall and haven't missed it much over the winter. I cut the MLB.TV subscription due to the lockout, I may pick it back up at the All Star Break if the season starts relatively soon, or I may just listen to the radio feeds on my SiriusXM app. I have a few video feeds I subscribe to on YouTube and watch occasionally on my Roku, mostly gaming and music based. And I have Sky News, the local NBC affiliate, and the CBS streaming news feed in case there is a natural disaster or a big local story in NC or Illinois.

I have no interest any more in either scripted TV, reality TV or longer form movies. I listen to more music thanks to a mix of Spotify and YouTube, and to more podcasts as well - there are some I subscribe to such as Smartless or Conan Needs a Friend where I may only listen to one out of every seven or eight episodes.

So right now my total monthly outlay for video is $0. For audio, including Spotify, SXM, and a few podcasts where I am a supporter on Patreon, my bill here comes out to about $45/month, but that includes downloadable audio for home, car, and airplanes. Given that when I was still working full time, I used to pay $59/month for an airplane wifi internet subscription on Delta and American, I'm fine with the total spend these days.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Switched to YouTube TV from Directv Stream to save $25 a month. Only saving roughly $15 after discovering YouTube TV charges taxes -- something Directv Stream does not do. I'm pretty confident services like Netflix or Hulu don't charge taxes anywhere in the country but I'm real curious as to why one television streaming service charges taxes and another does not to the same household.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:50 am 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
Switched to YouTube TV from Directv Stream to save $25 a month. Only saving roughly $15 after discovering YouTube TV charges taxes -- something Directv Stream does not do. I'm pretty confident services like Netflix or Hulu don't charge taxes anywhere in the country but I'm real curious as to why one television streaming service charges taxes and another does not to the same household.

No tax on mine. Something to do with your billing location?

Tax $0.00
Total $72.99

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:58 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Ron Wolfley wrote:

It must have something to do with where you live Ron.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:04 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Seacrest wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

cook county ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:13 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
If you watch as much Youtube as I do, getting Youtube Premium ($140 per year or $13.99 a month) is easily worth the cost. Cutting out the commercials is the main benefit. Every sporting event I am interested in has extended highlight packages that range anywhere from 8 min to 20+ minutes. I watch the extended highlights for hockey, football, racing, cycling, ect. ect in addition to music videos, documentaries, TV clips, comedians, and the list goes on and on. We all know everything is on Youtube. My kids love it too. Hell, I'd rather have the Youtube Premium than anything else I pay for (Netflix, Prime, Max, ESPN+).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:32 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Seacrest wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

https://cordcuttersnews.com/youtube-tv-starts-adding-taxes-to-customers-bills/#:~:text=YouTube%20TV%20is%20reportedly%20upgrading,streaming%20services%20like%20YouTube%20TV.
Back in May, YouTube TV started messaging customers in select states about changes to the taxes they pay. YouTube TV is reportedly upgrading its systems that calculate taxes and, in select states, will be charging more for sales taxes and use taxes in states that apply these taxes to streaming services like YouTube TV.

Now customers are starting to report that, for the first time, they are seeing additional taxes being added to their bills.

Here is the email YouTube TV sent customers back in May 2023:

We are writing to let you know that YouTube TV will be upgrading its internal system used to calculate the sales and use taxes applied to monthly subscription fees. The upgrade may result in an increase in the required taxes applied to your monthly subscription.

This change will begin rolling out to customers on June 15 and will be reflected in your subscription billing no later than July 29. To view transition related to your subscription, please visit your account settings.

If you have recently suspended your YouTube TV service, please disregard this message.

If your state does not have taxes that apply to YouTube TV, you may not have received an email. If you did get an email you should take a look at your next YouTube TV bill as you may see it higher than you have in the best.

It is unknown why YouTube is making this change now. It is uncertain if they found an error in their system that was under-reporting taxes or if they are passing along these taxes to the customers now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
This is exactly why I'm holding on to UVerse as long as I can. I'm getting Netflix for $2 a month from T-Mobile. I refuse to buy into Hulu premium, YouTube, etc. because its a bunch of gym memberships that go up without you realizing the total cost across services. These companies are raking in the cash.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next