It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cutting Cable?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:50 am 

billypootons wrote:
is the roku xfinity app still in beta? when i quit them over a year ago it app was in beta and they said they may eventually charge customers a monthly fee to use the app

It's still in beta.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:52 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
HawaiiYou wrote:
doug - evergreen park wrote:
the xfinity app only works on the Roku if you are paying for cable tv. you still need a cable box.

say someone has 2 rooms w/ tv's. Usually, if you want cable on those you would need to get 2 boxes for each room from the cable company. But now w/ the roku stick, cant you just buy 2 of those, hook them up to the 2 tvs in those 2 rooms, and no need pay for extra cable boxes?

yes. but you still need at least one cable box.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
it worked fine for us last night. it did not mention a charge either.

well this may be all a moot point because my son found that the xfinity app on iphone, well they enabled streaming now to google chromecast.

so its' like you use your phone as the remote control and just stream it to chromecast on the tv. very simple. and it did not say there was a charge.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:47 pm 

pizza_Place: papa johns
pluto tv and tubi tv have decent stuff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Should have done this long ago, but finally broke up with Directv
Was up to 150 ish , nearly 200 for the 4 months I paid for the NBA package
For now I have YouTube tv at 55/month promo and 65 after
Has worked perfectly fine for me so far and has all the channels I want
Got an indoor antenna too and got all the local channels and the all the sub channels , again everything comes in perfect
Really happy
The cancellation call wasn’t that bad either , I was on hold for quite a long time but once I did get through to someone it was relatively quick and painless. I think so many people are cancelling now that they just don’t care anymore , they barely made an effort to keep me and I’ve been a customer for 17 years

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

Bagels wrote:
Got an indoor antenna too and got all the local channels and the all the sub channels , again everything comes in perfect
Really happy
The cancellation call wasn’t that bad either , I was on hold for quite a long time but once I did get through to someone it was relatively quick and painless. I think so many people are cancelling now that they just don’t care anymore , they barely made an effort to keep me and I’ve been a customer for 17 years

The problem with YouTube (and then the Internet) is that prices are going up. YouTube is $65 now and with the Internet, I'm around $150.00 a month. If you add in any of the streaming services (HBO Max, Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Disney+, etc.), you're maybe paying more than before.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:47 pm 

BD wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Really happy

The problem with YouTube (and then the Internet) is that prices are going up. YouTube is $65 now and with the Internet, I'm around $150.00 a month. If you add in any of the streaming services (HBO Max, Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Disney+, etc.), you're maybe paying more than before.

I always had the internet with at&t
So that wasn’t a new charge
It works fine with the speed/package I have, I didn’t need to upgrade that or anything
And I have Amazon prime for random movies and idc about the others like Hulu etc so for me it was 150 for directv vs 65 for YouTube
Yea Directv has 3x the channels but I wasn’t using them
Of course it just comes down to what you want to watch , I watch a lot of dumb shit like Threes Company and sports so I dont need to spend a ton for that

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
BD wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Really happy

Paying $85 for internet seems to be the main issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:28 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Right. Internet costs and a couple stream services and you might as well have kept cable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:24 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
pittmike wrote:
Right. Internet costs and a couple stream services and you might as well have kept cable.

We were at 190 a month before cutting cable, now 175ish but a much larger selection to choose from..there really ain't shit to watch on cable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:46 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
still saving $90 a month without cable tv. Was still going to pay for the other services anyway. splitting the cost of youtube tv is the way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:41 am 

IPTV is the way to go. Find a good one, pay 10-20 a month, and get every channel on the planet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:12 am 

pittmike wrote:

i'm considering internet a sunk cost. Yea it sucks that it's 80 or whatever it is for me now, but even if i was just watching network TV over the air i'd still have internet. Just looking at DTV vs Youtube i'm saving nearly 100 a month. Again, i'm content with just that plus local channels , but i could see how adding Disney or HBO or whatever else on could start adding up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:05 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Bagels wrote:
pittmike wrote:

i'm considering internet a sunk cost. Yea it sucks that it's 80 or whatever it is for me now, but even if i was just watching network TV over the air i'd still have internet. Just looking at DTV vs Youtube i'm saving nearly 100 a month. Again, i'm content with just that plus local channels , but i could see how adding Disney or HBO or whatever else on could start adding up.

The nice thing in having ATT Fiber and Comcast competing is you just change every 2 years or threaten to change.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:10 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Internet is a sunk cost for me as well. $70 for Google Fiber. But I gave up scripted video content several years ago and now I only pay for sports content - $7/month for ESPN+, $130/yr for MLB.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Negotiate a bundle cable price end of each contract. Pay for commercial free Hulu, Amazon Prime video. Amazon Prime unlimited discounted music. Get MLB.Tv for free. Will not go without Marquee, and all Chicago sports. Must have flagship phone. Wait until they're <$450 deal price.
Don't piss money away gambling. Have had tremendous luck investing. Use the profits that have been reinvested multiple times. There's a lot of other opportunities to save money wisely. Skimping on entertainment isn't one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:47 pm 

vitoscotti wrote:
Negotiate a bundle cable price end of each contract. Pay for commercial free Hulu, Amazon Prime video. Amazon Prime unlimited discounted music. Get MLB.Tv for free. Will not go without Marquee, and all Chicago sports. Must have flagship phone. Wait until they're <$450 deal price.
Don't piss money away gambling. Have had tremendous luck investing. Use the profits that have been reinvested multiple times. There's a lot of other opportunities to save money wisely. Skimping on entertainment isn't one.

huh ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:05 pm 

Bagels wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

huh ?

For sure. Gambling IS investing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
With sharing logins, it really is still cheaper than cable.

Here is my breakdown:

$90 / month ATT 1 GB/s up/down with no data caps. My work reimburses me monthly for this so it's really free as far as I'm concerned
$0 / month HBO Max, receive for free with my internet service that my company pays for
$65/ month YouTubeTV My parents live in the same media market as me so we actually split this one and with taxes and fees each pay $35 per month for our channels and an unlimited DVR
$10 per month Amazon Prime (pay $119 annually but it's basically $10 per month) I'd pay this anyways just for prime's shipping so I consider the TV/video a bonus
$0 per month Netflix (I use my parents' log-in. Fair trade, they use my HBO
$0 per month Hulu (I use my brother's account, again he gets my HBO)
$0 per month Paramount and Starz (My father in law pays for these through our Amazon account he uses)

Basically I'm out of pocket $45 per month and that includes my Internet. I could never do that with cable or satellite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:07 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Here is my breakdown:

$90 / month ATT 1 GB/s up/down with no data caps. My work reimburses me monthly for this so it's really free as far as I'm concerned
$0 / month HBO Max, receive for free with my internet service that my company pays for
$65/ month YouTubeTV My parents live in the same media market as me so we actually split this one and with taxes and fees each pay $35 per month for our channels and an unlimited DVR
$10 per month Amazon Prime (pay $119 annually but it's basically $10 per month) I'd pay this anyways just for prime's shipping so I consider the TV/video a bonus
$0 per month Paramount and Starz (My father in law pays for these through our Amazon account he uses)

Basically I'm out of pocket $45 per month and that includes my Internet. I could never do that with cable or satellite

So stealing various services makes them cheaper than cable, which is a bit more difficult to steal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:24 pm 

Heisenberg wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Here is my breakdown:

So stealing various services makes them cheaper than cable, which is a bit more difficult to steal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:34 pm 

The concept of humble bragging still seems lost on Ogie. It happens to most millennials anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:35 pm 

I give out an Amazon prime log in and a Hulu login, Impaying for it and I can do as I wish..I don't consider it stealing if someone uses my login..I'm allowed 3 Hulu devices and 2 Amazon devices. I swap an Amazon for a Netflix with somebody.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:37 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
BD wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Really happy

you would still have internet regardless tho right?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:37 pm 

The tech is there that if they wanted to lock out sharing, they could easily do so.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:39 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The tech is there that if they wanted to lock out sharing, they could easily do so.

I don't think the tech is there, they don't know if I'm on an IPad at a cottage in Michigan or my basement couch watching a TV.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:45 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
You?

Basement for sure.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:45 pm 

can you make a 'homemade' DVR to get over the air stuff ?

Youtube TV has a DVR, but they don't have all the local channels. My indoor antenna pulls everything in great, but the DVR aspect is missing

I see there's some 'TV tuner card" on Amazon that seems to do that, but it includes the antenna part which people say sucks, i've got that already

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:10 pm 

312player wrote:
I give out an Amazon prime log in and a Hulu login, Impaying for it and I can do as I wish..I don't consider it stealing if someone uses my login..I'm allowed 3 Hulu devices and 2 Amazon devices. I swap an Amazon for a Netflix with somebody.

Well, consider it what you want, but I believe the terms of service require shared users to live in the same residence. I’m not judging, plenty of people steal music (remember Napster). People download pirated movies, share copies of Tubotax or Windows, etc. That doesn’t make any of it legal.

It’s interesting how people view stealing Intellectual Property differently than stealing a candy bar or a car.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:13 pm 

Heisy on the muscle.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next