It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 461 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Cutting Cable?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Are you a cable cord cutter? If so, how'd you do it? What's your entertainment set-up at home?

We are considering it to save costs, but the sports/live news factor is a big obstacle.

TEACH ME YOUR WAYS, HIPSTERS.

Post subject: Re: Cutting Cable?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Did it 18 months ago when we moved out of IL. Have netflix, amazon prime, and HBOGo on a bundle with my internet. Paid for MLB Extra innings, could watch all baseball games during the year. I live in Atlanta so I could watch both Cubs and Sox unless they played in Atlanta.

Through comcast we pay 1 dollar a month for DTA boxes to get local channels in shitty HD. But it still has onscreen guides and a decent interface. If you can pick up over the air, you don't need this, but I'd say the onscreen guides are worth the dollar a month.

Did pick up slingTV for 2 weeks when the Cub were buried on obscure FS1 channels. This can be added removed on command and free for a week per email address. I've only wanted it during Cubs playoffs.

Pros- save between 70-90 a month on content. You never see a commercial and don't have to bother with recording or fast forwarding.

Cons-figuring out how and where to watch shows and some aren't freely streamed. Watch for internet data caps. For a while comcast hit me with a 300GB download limit each month. It would be 8 bucks for each 50GB block after it. We averaged 340-360 a month with average to below average watching and no gaming. They restructured internet so now we have a 1TB data cap and haven't had an issue since.

At this point I can't see going back to paying for TV, just isn't much I miss and there is plenty of content going up on netflix.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Doesn't make sense as a fan of local sports teams.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:13 pm 

I'm making the jump to Playstation Vue soon. For what I pay to comast every month for Cable, I would save about $70 per month and lose little to no content.

The only thing I've identified as a loss would be that Playstation Vue does not have the local WGN feed from Chicago, so I would lose any sports they broadcast on that station. But that is very few Cubs or Bulls games.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
IMU wrote:
Doesn't make sense as a fan of local sports teams.

yea that's obv the big hangup for me , and i imagine quite a few

but i was thinking....the WGN/WCIU/etc. stuff I can get via over the air antenna, fine

from my experience having the MLB and NBA packages, they seem to blackout games shown on those local channels, but if it's shown on Comcast i can watch it on the channel the package is showing it on.

so it seems like it could work, as long as you were able to stream the online versions of those packages to your TV

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
DirecTV now is supposed to be coming soon. $35 a month for over 100 streaming only channels.

http://bgr.com/2016/11/08/directv-now-c ... p-details/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:52 pm 

spmack wrote:
DirecTV now is supposed to be coming soon. $35 a month for over 100 streaming only channels.

Sounds like a response to dishes slicktv

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:54 pm 

spmack wrote:

We are probably a year or two away from cord cutting actually being a viable thing for sports fans.

You still need the internet though and those prices are going to go up to account for the lost tv revenue.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
spmack wrote:

The main reason I never switched to DirectTV was because I didn't want to sign a 2-year deal. I wonder how that will play out.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I got rid of cable TV at my place four years ago. I can still get ESPN/ESPN2 because my parents have cable so I can use WatchESPN on my Rokus.

I travel enough that I am not home for a lot of local sports anyway. If I really want to see a sporting event on CSN, I go to Buffalo Wild Wings and get some dinner and watch it at the bar, or I go over to my parents' place.

I did recently add the sling.tv package when I got the playoffs. And I've had MLB.TV the last few years because I use it a lot when I travel, and at home I throw on a lot of west coast games and fall asleep to them.

I couldn't even name 10 network TV shows right now. Don't miss it in the least.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Douchebag wrote:
I'm making the jump to Playstation Vue soon. For what I pay to comast every month for Cable, I would save about $70 per month and lose little to no content.

The only thing I've identified as a loss would be that Playstation Vue does not have the local WGN feed from Chicago, so I would lose any sports they broadcast on that station. But that is very few Cubs or Bulls games.

I took the free trial and there is about a 20 sec delay and it sucked overall. I considered cutting the cord last year.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:29 pm 

Nas wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

I took the free trial and there is about a 20 sec delay and it sucked overall. I considered cutting the cord last year.

Get better internet.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:31 pm 
100000 CLUB

Douchebag wrote:
Nas wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Get better internet.

Nothing better than Comcast. Playstation Vue was on a delay because you're streaming everything. If you use the Xfinity apps you'll know what I'm talking about.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:33 pm 

The delay is actually pretty normal for the streaming services.

When we watched one of the World Series games with JORR, we had one TV going with the regular FOX feed, another going with the Sling TV Fox feed. Sling TV was about a minute behind the live feed. It sucks when you want to have multiple tv's going at one time, but that's not a deal breaker for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
"Cutting cable" is also a euphemism for pooping.

For Your Health.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

Douchebag wrote:
The delay is actually pretty normal for the streaming services.

When we watched one of the World Series games with JORR, we had one TV going with the regular FOX feed, another going with the Sling TV Fox feed. Sling TV was about a minute behind the live feed. It sucks when you want to have multiple tv's going at one time, but that's not a deal breaker for me.

It's fine if you stay away from the internet. I can't watch a game and post on this board or look at FB.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:33 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Ditched cable 8 or more years ago. Roku with Netflix and Sling. Also have been Amazon Prime customers for years so that comes with shows to watch. And have an antenna for local stations.

You can find anything you want to watch online somewhere. Found an awesome stream for the World Series online from a Reddit board. Full HD and it was quality.

I'm with Chet. Don't miss cable in the least. I think it will be dead or very different in the next 5-8 years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I got rid of cable TV at my place four years ago. I can still get ESPN/ESPN2 because my parents have cable so I can use WatchESPN on my Rokus.

I travel enough that I am not home for a lot of local sports anyway. If I really want to see a sporting event on CSN, I go to Buffalo Wild Wings and get some dinner and watch it at the bar, or I go over to my parents' place.

It's not cord cutting if the umbilical is still attached.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The thing that has allowed cable to be successful is bundling. Just about everyone in the country who has cable is paying for ESPN. If the legislation changed and cable companies were not allowed to bundle anymore that would affect a lot of their business model. I'm sure if something bad happens to cable it will be blamed on the Millenials.

Streaming is the next big thing. Everyone seems to think that streaming is where the money is because of Netflix. It sounds nice because people subscribe to the service and the actual content is delivered by the ISP. So basically Netflix and YouTube are hogging almost half of the bandwidth in America provided by the ISPs. Not every streaming service is going to be successful and the bandwidth is always a concern.

I've had Comcast, AT&T and DirecTV. I think that DirecTV is the best of the three because of how many different options they have such as streaming computer, tablet or mobile. Some people are genuinely afraid of the satellite signal or of 2-year contracts. My view on the contract was basically this: They did free installation, they didn't charge any equipment fees for any of the stuff, they offered a $100 rebate and their TV service was significantly cheaper than UVerse. I think switching to DirecTV saved us close to $100 a month on the intro offer. So if we have to cancel at some point before the 2 years are up I think it's not bad to pay the cancellation fee because they already did free installation and $100 rebate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:55 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Living on sling tv. Very good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:59 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:

Yea, I'm surprised how good it has been. It's amazing the number of people bitching about the buffering. Comcast cable must be awesome because we have 4 people in this house who are online at any given time and we have had almost zero problems.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:02 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Yea, I'm surprised how good it has been. It's amazing the number of people bitching about the buffering. Comcast cable must be awesome because we have 4 people in this house who are online at any given time and we have had almost zero problems.

For the cord cutters with multiple people in the house, what is your internet speed? I get about 30 MBPS down and 5 up. Will that be enough to support multiple devices streaming at once, or will I need to bump up to a better internet package?

Last edited by Douchebag on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
If you're not a TV series person how does this work? In our house we flip it on for 30 mins to an hour every night. We like a few shows like MasterChef stuff but otherwise it's Spongebob, Happy Days, Tom & Jerry, Looney Tunes, and Blackhawks games. After they go to bed I'll watch HGTV, a cooking show, or old show in syndication. My husband will watch stuff off Amazon Prime or apple TV. Would cutting cable work in our house? I think the last time this came up the answer was no, not really.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:08 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
For the cord cutters with multiple people in the house, what is your internet speed? I get about 30 MBPS down and 5 up. Will that be enough to support multiple devices streaming at one, or will I need to bump up to a better internet package?

No you will be good with that, DB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:12 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
If you're not a TV series person how does this work? In our house we flip it on for 30 mins to an hour every night. We like a few shows like MasterChef stuff but otherwise it's Spongebob, Happy Days, Tom & Jerry, Looney Tunes, and Blackhawks games. After they go to bed I'll watch HGTV, a cooking show, or old show in syndication. My husband will watch stuff off Amazon Prime or apple TV. Would cutting cable work in our house? I think the last time this came up the answer was no, not really.

Check if the shows you want to watch regularly are on Netflix or Amazon Prime. Hawks games would be a problem. Sling is going to be offering CSN at some point, just not sure when.

You also might want to check out Playstation VUE.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:32 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Check if the shows you want to watch regularly are on Netflix or Amazon Prime. Hawks games would be a problem. Sling is going to be offering CSN at some point, just not sure when.

You also might want to check out Playstation VUE.

Playstation Vue has CSN on their $45/month package.

The only thing you cannot get on Vue is WGN, so you will lose some Cubs. Bulls, and Hawks games. But maybe someday they will add it to their lineup in the Chicago area. They are slowly rolling out local feeds for CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX (in Chicago you get all of these on Vue), but it will take awhile for all local markets to be accounted for since MANY are owned by smaller companies.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:20 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

For the cord cutters with multiple people in the house, what is your internet speed? I get about 30 MBPS down and 5 up. Will that be enough to support multiple devices streaming at once, or will I need to bump up to a better internet package?

My plan is 25 down and 6 up and is fine with two feeds streaming. Haven't tried more.

I have done speed tests while streaming and my pc would pull about 15 with an active tv steaming. I always assumed a tv running hd Netflix is around 10mbps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Move.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
got an antenna which even out in the sticks gets me all chicago broadcast channels.

Know 4-5 people who still pay for cable/att/directv/dish so I use their sign-ins. Apple TV 4 has every channel you'd want as an app. HGTV, Food, Disney, PBS, and sports ESPN, Fox Sports Go, TNT, TBS, NBC SN which gets me the Bulls plus every premiership game, I split a MLB and NBA package with the guys every year.

Don't miss cable but you have to have some help, obviously. There will always be people who pay for cable. I love them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:17 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
I have in indoor antenna like this. Here in alington heights Ch2 does not work at all. The others all work great.

Used their free trial to test playstation Vue during the dodger series. Plusses included the flexibility to watch anything anywhere in the house with Roku and Chromecast -- even taking the TV outside on warm nights. Minuses included no DVR (i like to record shows and some sports to watch later), occasional buffering hangups and the sports lag which meant I could not follow all the fascinating twitter and CSFMB commentary :lol:

So for me the jury is still out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 461 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next