It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T09X6nRScac

I think it's due to air in February.

Also, I know I've posted this before (I think it got lost in the transfer or something), but if anyone needs a long but inneresting read on the XFL, look no further than http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/5/7/5683742/xfl-oral-history.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:20 pm 

Was there sufficient confidence in the integrity of the games that lines were made?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:27 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Was there sufficient confidence in the integrity of the games that lines were made?

I believe reluctantly so, though I imagine they probably capped it fairly low ... that would be the sensible thing to do imho.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Everything outside of Hogan has been a failure for Vince. That success was so monumental though that it's kept his "empire" going despite his attempts to derail it by thinking he's everything but a Wrestling promoter.

WBF - Google it.

Bret Hart & HBK only got their chance when the crowd crapped all over Luger and he had no one else to turn to.

The Attitude Era only came about because Vince threw his hands up and admitted he had no clue how to compete with WCW and the nWo. Hell, if WCW was run somewhat competently it would've been the WWF that went out of business.

XFL, WWE Films, Roman Reigns etc...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:36 pm 

Matches Malone wrote:
Everything outside of Hogan has been a failure for Vince. That success was so monumental though that it's kept his "empire" going despite his attempts to derail it by thinking he's everything but a Wrestling promoter.

WBF - Google it.

Bret Hart & HBK only got their chance when the crowd crapped all over Luger and he had no one else to turn to.

The Attitude Era only came about because Vince threw his hands up and admitted he had no clue how to compete with WCW and the nWo. Hell, if WCW was run somewhat competently it would've been the WWF that went out of business.

I'd say his public offering was quite successful, as well as his monopolizing the business (and not being murdered in a men's room along the way for it). The Network also apparently does well ... I think? I don't know.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:38 pm 

This clip has gotten a lot of play on Purdue message boards since they just hired him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTJkFi06LFk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:57 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
I'd say his public offering was quite successful, as well as his monopolizing the business (and not being murdered in a men's room along the way for it). The Network also apparently does well ... I think? I don't know.

Depends On Who You Ask

Another way to gauge WWE Network's progress is the "churn" numbers, or how many people terminate the service after signing up. For the second quarter of 2016, WWE gained 625,000 total subscribers, but lost 471,000, giving them a net addition of only 153,000.

I was curious to know the total churn numbers since the network's inception. "We don't give those numbers out publicly," George Barrios told me, but according to documents submitted to the SEC, WWE Network has amassed 4,587,000 total accounts since launching in 2014, while 3,076,000 accounts have left the service (leaving us with the current number of active accounts: 1,511,000). That means that 67 percent of accounts that were created were eventually canceled (I refer to them as "accounts" rather than "subscribers" because theoretically one person could sign up and bail more than once, thus skewing the metrics).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:45 pm 

Matches Malone wrote:

WBF - Google it.

I was a big wrestling fan in grade school. I went to matches at the Horizon. I bought magazines. I wrote a paper on wrestling. I loved watching the local league and was even happier when that Von Erich league was broadcast into Chicago. I was cool with it when it got a little east coasted up with Bruno Sanmartino. I even loved the beginnings of the Vince era with Friday night wrestling on network TV.

I can't quite put my finger on it when it changed. Certainly I grew out of it but it just became too clean, even as it was becoming much dirtier.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:32 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

WBF - Google it.

I was a big wrestling fan in grade school. I went to matches at the Horizon. I bought magazines. I wrote a paper on wrestling. I loved watching the local league and was even happier when that Von Erich league was broadcast into Chicago. I was cool with it when it got a little east coasted up with Bruno Sanmartino. I even loved the beginnings of the Vince era with Friday night wrestling on network TV.

I can't quite put my finger on it when it changed. Certainly I grew out of it but it just became too clean, even as it was becoming much dirtier.

Depends on the change you're wondering about.

Whereas a staple of territory wrasslin' was virtual isolation from the rest of the world as a means to protect the business, the product was, as a result, offered as completely legit and as such often took on characteristics closer resembling a shoot rather than, say, Vince's Rock 'n' Wrestling, with its larger than life cartoonish characters along with an influx of celebrities from outside wrestling which were basicalyl 80s "innovations" that, along with putting the territories out of business, carried on well through the 90s.

(how's that for a run-on sentence? Too lazy to clean it up.)

Shortly after WM6 (Hogan v Warrior) until about a year before the NWO angle started (though my viewing was mostly limited to ECW during said year), I completely checked-out of wrestling. Once I heard about Hogan cutting a heel promo which included the phrase, "you can stick it, brother", I simply had to check out what the hell was going on.

By the time the WCW did the NWO deal, very generally speaking, things changed again towards a product intended to be perceived as more 'real' ... not the ringwork, mind you, but instead focusing on the outside-the-ring storytelling. While WM had long been portrayed as the true spectacle of wrestling, now each Monday night was basically a spectacle carried largely by the near-constant blurring of the lines of kayfabe and reality by working the s'marks as best they could since, by then, the 'secret' was more or less out (as my boy Cornette says, by then 'that horse was let out of the barn').

This, in turn, enabled (or emboldened, take your pick) American pro wrestling to more freely and readily incorporate foreign aspects, most notably the 'lucha' style from Mexico, etc., along with NJPW's Antonio Inoki's "strong style" which was portrayed as more of a combat sport including a particular deference to submission "wins", not to mention working several spots in a match, if not the match itself, awfully snug. ECW was the major (?) fed way out in front on this (along with so-called 'garbage wrestling') and, as with a lot else, WCW usurped those ideas along with quite a bit of the talent and gave it exposure on it's national shows (albeit more often than not as curtain-jerker or undercard status). An astute observer might then wonder these two forms rose in popularity at the same time seeing as spot-fests seemed to be the diametric opposite to worked shoot-fights ... like the Eagles sang, I can't tell you why.

Nowadays, with WWE (I will never get used to those initials) having become a 'corporate-friendly' product for the most part, I don't know what the hell to call it. It's obviously not Mid-South nor NJPW or even ROH ... it's just some amalgam of everything all at once which, as far as I'm concerned, is far more often than not like mixing every Kool-Aid flavor together into the same pitcher and figuring it'll taste far out man.

Recently though, it would appear that WWE is letting a few things here and there slip a bit past the PG barrier to I'd say mixed success at best ... again, just adding another flavor to the Kool-Aid gangbang. That said, their 'NXT' product is perhaps the most inviting product to try out if you haven't been paying much if any attention for, say, twenty years or so.

IMO the two major factors in its success is a less stringent control of talent promos and also being a smaller more intimate crowd than their weekly TV shows (never mind their PPVs though that is becoming an obsolete acronym what with the aforementioned Network) ... 20k-80k feels like a spectacle, a few thousand (at most) feels more authentic and intimate.

The short version is the product you used to watch is long gone and has since mutated into whatever it is someone will describe it as 30 years from now. I basically watch at this point to make smartass comments during the show on the 'other' bored.

This probably didn't help you at all, but I took the time to write it and I can only hope more than a few people get suckered into reading it and then wonder why they wasted their life doing so, which naturally would bring a smile to my awful face.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:03 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
Depends on the change you're wondering about.

Whereas a staple of territory wrasslin' was virtual isolation from the rest of the world as a means to protect the business, the product was, as a result, offered as completely legit and as such often took on characteristics closer resembling a shoot rather than, say, Vince's Rock 'n' Wrestling, with its larger than life cartoonish characters along with an influx of celebrities from outside wrestling which were basicalyl 80s "innovations" that, along with putting the territories out of business, carried on well through the 90s.

(how's that for a run-on sentence? Too lazy to clean it up.)

Shortly after WM6 (Hogan v Warrior) until about a year before the NWO angle started (though my viewing was mostly limited to ECW during said year), I completely checked-out of wrestling. Once I heard about Hogan cutting a heel promo which included the phrase, "you can stick it, brother", I simply had to check out what the hell was going on.

By the time the WCW did the NWO deal, very generally speaking, things changed again towards a product intended to be perceived as more 'real' ... not the ringwork, mind you, but instead focusing on the outside-the-ring storytelling. While WM had long been portrayed as the true spectacle of wrestling, now each Monday night was basically a spectacle carried largely by the near-constant blurring of the lines of kayfabe and reality by working the s'marks as best they could since, by then, the 'secret' was more or less out (as my boy Cornette says, by then 'that horse was let out of the barn').

This, in turn, enabled (or emboldened, take your pick) American pro wrestling to more freely and readily incorporate foreign aspects, most notably the 'lucha' style from Mexico, etc., along with NJPW's Antonio Inoki's "strong style" which was portrayed as more of a combat sport including a particular deference to submission "wins", not to mention working several spots in a match, if not the match itself, awfully snug. ECW was the major (?) fed way out in front on this (along with so-called 'garbage wrestling') and, as with a lot else, WCW usurped those ideas along with quite a bit of the talent and gave it exposure on it's national shows (albeit more often than not as curtain-jerker or undercard status). An astute observer might then wonder these two forms rose in popularity at the same time seeing as spot-fests seemed to be the diametric opposite to worked shoot-fights ... like the Eagles sang, I can't tell you why.

Nowadays, with WWE (I will never get used to those initials) having become a 'corporate-friendly' product for the most part, I don't know what the hell to call it. It's obviously not Mid-South nor NJPW or even ROH ... it's just some amalgam of everything all at once which, as far as I'm concerned, is far more often than not like mixing every Kool-Aid flavor together into the same pitcher and figuring it'll taste far out man.

Recently though, it would appear that WWE is letting a few things here and there slip a bit past the PG barrier to I'd say mixed success at best ... again, just adding another flavor to the Kool-Aid gangbang. That said, their 'NXT' product is perhaps the most inviting product to try out if you haven't been paying much if any attention for, say, twenty years or so.

IMO the two major factors in its success is a less stringent control of talent promos and also being a smaller more intimate crowd than their weekly TV shows (never mind their PPVs though that is becoming an obsolete acronym what with the aforementioned Network) ... 20k-80k feels like a spectacle, a few thousand (at most) feels more authentic and intimate.

The short version is the product you used to watch is long gone and has since mutated into whatever it is someone will describe it as 30 years from now. I basically watch at this point to make smartass comments during the show on the 'other' bored.

This probably didn't help you at all, but I took the time to write it and I can only hope more than a few people get suckered into reading it and then wonder why they wasted their life doing so, which naturally would bring a smile to my awful face.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:31 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Don Tiny wrote:
The short version is the product you used to watch is long gone and has since mutated into whatever it is someone will describe it as 30 years from now.

dude, people know what to describe the nu-product as now without having to wait 30 years: just call it sports entertainment. everyone, especially jim cornette, will know what you mean.

also, please don't make me attempt to excel in the field of run-on sentences just to show you up =P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:35 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I still find it incredible anyone older than 26 still cares about wrestling at all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
pittmike wrote:
I still find it incredible anyone older than 26 still cares about wrestling at all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:45 pm 

incidentally, if anyone cares someone uploaded a ~23min compilation of opie and anthony hosting THE OFFICIAL XFL PREGAME SHOW back in the day! --- i discovered this looking for an XFL documentary because i wanted to see one, and recently i was wondering why vince/WWE-Network didnt try to do a proper look back at how ahead of their time they were with 2pt conversions and a few other ideas that the NFL maybe-kinda-sorta incorporated over the years.

a 30 for 30 on this is better tho, altho i reckon it wont be nearly as fun as the one that was like "small potatoes: the story of the USFL" that now features a fucking president being shown the ~$1.50 check that the USFL got for winning the anti-trust lawsuit against the NFL. yeah the USFL doc was what got me into the 30 for 30s tbh, so i have high hopes for this one.

btw less than 500 views on that opie and anthony XFL pregame thing, so you can get in and be a youtube hipster with me and up to ~425 other people with taste in fun-bad.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:50 pm 

pittmike wrote:

welp mike, i can tell you that i'm ~35 years old and basically when i was a ~6-12 year old kid pro wrestling was in my wheelhouse. all felt right in the world when hootie hogan had the WWE championship. i remember renting wrestlemanias 1-5 from the video store, i got my dad to spring for mania6 and i honestly thought hogan should have won. then i fazed out after mania6 and only got back into it a little bit during the late 90s when it was monday night wars (and the guy who me and my friend would get our weekly ounce of sub-dank from was all about flipping back and forth between raw and nitro to "root against the f4gg0tz" and then afterwards we'd have to pop on some ECW tapes cuz that was just the thing to do.

as a matter of fact, there was an ECW tape playing in the background when i attemped my first-ever freestyle rap with the line "i just got back from the 36th chamber / man that place is filled with basehead flamers" --- you just knew greatness was finna ensue =D

anyways, my favorite indian c/s/fmber dropin and speeps and others helped me kinda-sorta start watching again around the time the miz got the title and defended it with a (clean?) win over cena, so that's like nov11-march12? from there i started hanging out in #wrestling and got smarky during the "summer of punk" and it's kinda stuck because there's something about the "s" in "smarky" along with being one letter away from "snarky" that kind of appeals to me.

plus if this msgboard hasnt taught you to watch/listen/consume things just so you can bitch about them in an e-group, then i reckon you'll never "get the bit" here, eh?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
pittmike wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:13 pm 

pittmike wrote:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:49 pm 

Programming reminder that this airs tonight @ 8pm locally.

Some whacko has quite a bit of XFL content, including some full games, over on his YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/XFL101/videos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I only remember three things about the XFL:

-The interesting looking football.
-The alternative "coin toss"
-He Hate Me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Charlie Ebersol was on Jericho's podcast last week pimping this and it sounds really interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
denisdman wrote:

-He Hate Me.

If you don't remember the cheerleaders, then they must have been doing something wrong. No wonder it went under.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
denisdman wrote:

-He Hate Me.

If you don't remember the cheerleaders, then they must have been doing something wrong. No wonder it went under.

No recollection at all. But I never watch sporting events for the cheerleaders. Too many other outlets that leave a lot less to the imagination. And in all honesty, I don't think I watched any XFL coverage.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
thanks for the reminder!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:16 pm 

http://thecomeback.com/nfl/15-years-later-the-nfl-should-thank-the-xfl-for-all-those-innovations.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:33 pm 

From a reddit thread, a fella recounts going to a game. It's the internet, so who knows how much is true (though I'm inclined to believe pretty much all of it) ... either way, it's good for a quick laugh. :lol:

So I went to the first XFL game for the Orlando Rage here in Florida.

Before I delve further into this story a few caveats:
At the time this event had the most beer sold at any event for the stadium it was being held in.
Also had the most ejections of any game performed at that stadium.

The game was a fucking madhouse. My dad took me and a buddy of mine (We were both in 6th grade at the time). My friend was VERY conservative, didnt like pro wrestling or football, but wanted to go because his parents said he could be out past his curfew for the show and he had never done that before.

The show was so god damn raucous getting in, there were people drinking outside the stadium, in the corners of halls, in the bathroom. Beer lines were so ridiculous, my dad ended up buying a ton of beer and having us kids carry the extras back to the seat for him (which we thought was so cool, made us look like adults).

The show started with The Rock on the tron and people went crazy for him and started tossing beers around in the air like crazy. By minute two of the game me and my friend were both drenched in beer already but were loving it.

The show started off really raucous and fun for the first hour. Then....Then shit hit the fan.

The first note I have to make at the start of the second hour, was there was this weird fence like thing that divided the upper sections above us. For some reason, dudes thought it would be a good idea to (while super plastered) start climbing the thing and peaking over the edge at the people sitting above them.

Well the dudes sitting above them were pissed and as soon as this dude reaches the top, the other guy starts swinging. The guy is getting his hard in the face and hands, and now his buddies start climbing the fence. All of a sudden you have what looks like a steel cage match between the fans, with dudes punching each other from atop this fence like structure, and a whole bunch of people looking on below. Eventually the first dude falls, and luckily a few people were there to save him or he would have been super fucked up.

At this point the crowds mood went from fun to scary as all hell, people are starting fights over nothing, me and my friend are super uncomfortable and sit as close to my dad as we can.

Then this guy white dude in a cowboy hat starts shit with this black guy thats sitting across from him. They talk shit for a while, then the white guy leaves to go get beers. The dude is coming back up with two hands full of beers and starts talking shit again to the black dude who doesnt even look drunk and is just trying to enjoy the game. Finally the cowboy kicks at him with his free foot, looses his footing and proceeds to fall down the steps and lands right next to my seat. His head is cut open bad and he starts bleeding over my chair and the steps. The black dude and a couple of his friends actually come down to help him and start picking him up, and cowboy just starts wailing on the guy. Eventually they separate them and security comes through and gets people off the cage.

O and this whole time? The people on the upper levels are throwing beer down on us.

So we finally leave, theres ambulances outside, cop cards, its such a mess outside the arena, my dad heard the police saying they cant do shows like this for long or half their fanbase will be in jail or the hospital.

We get my friend home super late, way later than we had assumed, and his moms waiting at the door, his jacket is still drenched in beer and she has some words for my dad to end the night after he tells her that he was allowed to carry beers back to our seats.

All in all it was a crazy night, I still remember it to this day, as a kid is was adventurous and scary, it was the only XFL game we went to.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:37 pm 

For Denis:

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
yama hama, it's fright night

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:56 pm 

Bagels wrote:
yama hama, it's fright night

I suspect to some degree that most of them were glorified ring-rats ... in which case they cleaned-up pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:42 pm 

I thought that most of the XFL cheerleaders were the Godfather's Hos in a different outfit. I remember that Vince said he encouraged the players to try to date and fight over the cheerleaders, and that one of commercials was basically a wrestling promo with a cheerleader getting ready for the game in the locker room.

Honestly, the XFL could have worked well if they had shortened the field, played only on turf, anything to make the game faster or some sort of rules change to make if different fro the NFL. I liked all the carnival barker stuff, but it was watching replacement players as soon as the promos stopped.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:55 pm 

denisdman wrote:

-He Hate Me.

I believe they were also the first ones to use the camera that hangs across the field.