It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
That is a much larger leap of faith than what JORR stated.

Not even close

Cool. Good debate.

Seriously though, I don't even know how you could say that. First of all, JORR made the assertion we would be radically different without backing it up. So that right there would indicate his is more a leap of faith than me saying we would basically be fine.

Second, stop acting like Abraham Lincoln was some kind of God. You're saying, with a straight face, that the only person talented and motivated enough to end slavery just happened to come along at the perfect time and place in history to end it? We've had great Presidents and terrible Presidents before and after Lincoln. Even if we all agree he's the concensus #1 on the list, it shouldn't be hard to acknowledge that slavery would've ended and we'd still be a united country today even if he never existed. Taking the opposite stance is a much more radical opinion than any I've posited.

You are unaware of all that Lincoln did to keep the union together, both strategically and through not giving in. There is absolutely zero guarantee that a replacement level president would have been able to do the same.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:
CSFMB is certain about issues historians disagree upon.

What is CSFMB?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
This is solely about my belief that he is overrated and shouldn't be ranked higher than 4th on any list.

The United States would VERY likely not exist in anything close to its current form without him. I think that FACT supports the case that he is minimally number 2.

That's not a fact.

It's very likely not true either

If Lincoln loses the the south doesn't secede and slavery isn't prohibited in the new territories.

Slavery wasn't prohibited in the new territories before Lincoln was elected, and he didn't get a chance to do anything about it before the South seceded. The Kansas-Nebraska Act was a soft-repeal of the Missouri Compromise, but Dred Scott was a full-stop on the MC. The South were actually in their best legislative and legal position in decades when they decided to secede. The Crittenden Compromise had passed Congress and been sent to the States for ratification before Lincoln's inauguration (though with his tacit approval)--which is what LTG is referring to, he just neglected to mention it was never ratified and thus, never had any effect of law--but that would have merely been status quo ante, and even then the South still had the power to not ratify it.

Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
First of all, JORR made the assertion we would be radically different without backing it up.

What you're saying is as silly as saying Jackie Robinson was no big deal. If not him, some other black dude would have been the first.

good dolphin wrote:

You new here? and it's CFMB.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
It is kinda funny that 75% of this thread is in response to Nas saying Lincoln should be 4th instead of 1st.

You don't think it's so fucking funny when I say Jordan is sixth instead of first though. As if the door is shut on that conversation. :lol:

:lol:

It is to everyone except you. Lincoln's legacy is a bit more complex.

Not really. The United States in the form of a single entity the way we view it today would almost certainly not exist had Lincoln not been president. At best we'd be saying "these United States are" rather than "the United States is" and more likely the states or whatever they morphed into would not be united, if they existed at all.

I couldn't disagree more. That's little more than baseless speculation based on the hero worship many have for Presidents. If Lincoln had never been born, another guy would've done what he did or similar and we'd be in largely the same place today

That's why I don't care about Trump. If he had never been born some other guy would have just banned Muslims and appointed Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education.

Obviously not. The counter to that is - The United States will easily survive a Trump presidency but it wouldn't have survived any other guy EXCEPT the magnificent Abe Lincoln as 16th President. :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:17 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
First of all, JORR made the assertion we would be radically different without backing it up.

What you're saying is as silly as saying Jackie Robinson was no big deal. If not him, some other black dude would have been the first.

Well, the second sentence is undoubtedly true, and that's what we are debating when it comes to our Union

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Nas wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Nas wrote:
denisdman wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Can Waiting for Ruffcorn or JLN discuss the Civil War without discussing the debate and fight (literally) over Kansas/Nebraska? Was the fight regarding Kansas?Nebraska not related to the expansion of slavery into the territories? Did this fight not serve as a precursor to the Civil War?

If you can answer this without using alternative facts it would be greatly appreciated.

Waiting For Ruffcorn has become a formidable debater. He appears to have the stamina to withstand the Wizard of Nas and Long Post Guy.

He won't give up until I say Lincoln was a saint or the G.O.A.T.

He's performed miracles worthy of a saint, but I would settle for better than Washington and Teddy Roosevelt.

So worse than FDR?

I don't think this is a science. So I think there is room to make an argument for FDR. He went against his class , which was incredibly difficult. He saved capitalism at home, and won the war against the Axis powers. I would still lean Lincoln, but FDR also had more years to work with. If either had failed it would have meant the end of the nation. The same could be said for George Washington, but he also allowed "All men were created equal" to mean white land owners are equal and let this issue fester until it erupted in rebellion.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That's why I don't care about Trump. If he had never been born some other guy would have just banned Muslims and appointed Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education.

Obviously not. The counter to that is - The United States will easily survive a Trump presidency but it wouldn't have survived any other guy EXCEPT the magnificent Abe Lincoln as 16th President. :lol:

I don't think the U.S. is in quite the precarious position that it was when Lincoln took office. History may prove me wrong though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:21 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I don't think the U.S. is in quite the precarious position that it was when Lincoln took office. History may prove me wrong though.

You might have had a good point if Lincoln was able to end slavery while avoiding a civil war, but he didn't. Ever since the a Constitution and Declaration of Independence were written with completely opposite points of view on slavery we were gonna have a civil war to decide which one was right. It was just a matter of time and circumstance.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:22 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Not even close

Cool. Good debate.

Seriously though, I don't even know how you could say that. First of all, JORR made the assertion we would be radically different without backing it up. So that right there would indicate his is more a leap of faith than me saying we would basically be fine.

Second, stop acting like Abraham Lincoln was some kind of God. You're saying, with a straight face, that the only person talented and motivated enough to end slavery just happened to come along at the perfect time and place in history to end it? We've had great Presidents and terrible Presidents before and after Lincoln. Even if we all agree he's the concensus #1 on the list, it shouldn't be hard to acknowledge that slavery would've ended and we'd still be a united country today even if he never existed. Taking the opposite stance is a much more radical opinion than any I've posited.

The States weren't certain how tightly they wanted to be associated with each other even up to Lincoln's time. But like Negan, he shut that shit down and the question has never substantively raised again. If he had addressed secession in any number of different ways, we would be sitting here with the United States, the Confederate States and a number of countries in the West.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:24 pm 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Not even close

Cool. Good debate.

The States weren't certain how tightly they wanted to be associated with each other even up to Lincoln's time. But like Negan, he shut that shit down and the question has never substantively raised again. If he had addressed secession in any number of different ways, we would be sitting here with the United States, the Confederate States and a number of countries in the West.

#HypotheticalHistory

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:26 pm 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Not even close

Cool. Good debate.

#HypotheticalHistory

Dude, you guys are the ones playing hypothetical history. You keep saying that if Lincoln hadn't been there, something similar would have happened, and you have no basis for that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:27 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Not even close

Cool. Good debate.

I disagree. Ever since our two founding documents completely contradicted eachother on the issue of slave ownership we were going to have a violent tipping point to rectify those contradictions. I don't want to dismiss Lincoln's accomplishments as President, but there's really no historical evidence to support the contention that we would not currently be the United States if someone else was President at that time. Like Nas said, at worst it would've come a generation later.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:28 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Not even close

Cool. Good debate.

I disagree. Ever since our two founding documents completely contradicted eachother on the issue of slave ownership we were going to have a violent tipping point to rectify those contradictions. I don't want to dismiss Lincoln's accomplishments as President, but there's really no historical evidence to support the contention that we would not currently be the United States if someone else was President at that time. Like Nas said, at worst it would've come a generation later.

?? What do you think the South was trying to do... secede but remain a part of the U.S.?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:29 pm 

Are you changing the argument and now crediting Abe Lincoln for WINNING the civil war? Because if not, your question makes no sense

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:29 pm 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

What is CSFMB?

Comiskey Park

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Bad board memes?

100000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Not even close

Cool. Good debate.

#HypotheticalHistory

leashyourkids wrote:
Dude, you guys are the ones playing hypothetical history. You keep saying that if Lincoln hadn't been there, something similar would have happened, and you have no basis for that.

I am not. I stated facts that had been rewritten and where I would rank Lincoln until page 9 of this thread. There you go again lying about my posts.

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Should have let them secede. The South still sucks today.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:36 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Are you changing the argument and now crediting Abe Lincoln for WINNING the civil war? Because if not, your question makes no sense

Alone? No. But he was absolutely a huge factor...

"Lincoln stands out as a great war president, probably the greatest in our history, and a great natural strategist, a better one than any of his generals."

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/l ... 131322819/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
The same could be said for George Washington, but he also allowed "All men were created equal" to mean white land owners are equal and let this issue fester until it erupted in rebellion.

Ruff, not sure if you enjoy reading books. If you do, please try this one, which gets into all the contradiction of our Founding.

American Creation 1st Edition, Kindle Edition
by Joseph J. Ellis (Author)

Recap:

"From the first shots fired at Lexington to the signing of the Declaration of Independence to the negotiations for the Louisiana Purchase, Joseph J. Ellis guides us through the decisive issues of the nation’s founding, and illuminates the emerging philosophies, shifting alliances, and personal and political foibles of our now iconic leaders–Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton, and Adams. He casts an incisive eye on the founders’ achievements, arguing that the American Revolution was, paradoxically, an evolution–and that part of what made it so extraordinary was the gradual pace at which it occurred. He explains how the idea of a strong federal government was eventually embraced by the American people, and details the emergence of the two-party system, which stands as the founders’ most enduring legacy.

Ellis is equally incisive about their failures, and he makes clear how their inability to abolish slavery and to reach a just settlement with the Native Americans has played an equally important role in shaping our national character. With eloquence and insight, Ellis strips the mythic veneer of the revolutionary generation to reveal men both human and inspired, possessed of both brilliance and blindness. American Creation is an audiobook that delineates an era of flawed greatness, at a time when understanding our origins is more important than ever."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:42 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Not even close

Cool. Good debate.

The legislative branch itself is a testament to the uneasiness the states had with one another. "State's rights" is just a polite way to say fuck off to federalism

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:43 pm 

denisdman wrote:
The same could be said for George Washington, but he also allowed "All men were created equal" to mean white land owners are equal and let this issue fester until it erupted in rebellion.

Ruff, not sure if you enjoy reading books. If you do, please try this one, which gets into all the contradiction of our Founding.

American Creation 1st Edition, Kindle Edition
by Joseph J. Ellis (Author)

Recap:

"From the first shots fired at Lexington to the signing of the Declaration of Independence to the negotiations for the Louisiana Purchase, Joseph J. Ellis guides us through the decisive issues of the nation’s founding, and illuminates the emerging philosophies, shifting alliances, and personal and political foibles of our now iconic leaders–Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton, and Adams. He casts an incisive eye on the founders’ achievements, arguing that the American Revolution was, paradoxically, an evolution–and that part of what made it so extraordinary was the gradual pace at which it occurred. He explains how the idea of a strong federal government was eventually embraced by the American people, and details the emergence of the two-party system, which stands as the founders’ most enduring legacy.

Ellis is equally incisive about their failures, and he makes clear how their inability to abolish slavery and to reach a just settlement with the Native Americans has played an equally important role in shaping our national character. With eloquence and insight, Ellis strips the mythic veneer of the revolutionary generation to reveal men both human and inspired, possessed of both brilliance and blindness. American Creation is an audiobook that delineates an era of flawed greatness, at a time when understanding our origins is more important than ever."

I will check it out for sure. I propose our book club meet on the third Thursday of the month. At Village Tavern of course.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:46 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:54 pm 

Dwight Eisenhower and Thomas Jefferson both seem to be rated highly based on things they did outside of their presidencies.

Was Hoover really that bad?

I think I would drop W even further down the list. He was a disaster on so many levels especially considering how cushy the job was when he entered the office.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock

I will check it out for sure. I propose our book club meet on the third Thursday of the month. At Village Tavern of course.

That's work, although I am struggling to get through Michael's Lewis' most recent book. Just not very compelling.

I prefer Beer Market, but the Tavern would work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Hatchetman wrote:

South Postpones Rising Again For Yet Another Year

http://www.theonion.com/article/south-p ... r-year-377

HUNTSVILLE, AL–For the 135th straight year since Gen. Robert E. Lee's surrender at Appomattox, representatives for the South announced Monday that the region has postponed plans to rise again.

Three of the estimated 45 million Southerners who have not yet gotten around to rising again. "Make no mistake, the South shall rise again," said Knox Pritchard, president of the Huntsville-based Alliance Of Confederate States. "But we're just not quite ready to do it now. Hopefully, we'll be able to rise again real soon, maybe even in 2001."

Pritchard's fellow Southerners shared his confidence.

"Yes, sir. The South will rise again, and when it does, I'll be right up front waving the Stars and Bars," said Dock Mullins of Decatur, GA. "But first, I gotta get my truck fixed and get that rusty old stove out of my yard."

"Lord willing, and the creek don't rise, we gonna rise again," said Sumter, SC, radiator technician Hap Slidell, who describes himself as "Southern by the grace of God." "I don't know exactly when we're gonna do it, but one of these days, we're gonna show them Yankees how it's done."

"Save your Confederate dollars," Slidell added. "You can bet on that."

The Deep South states of Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Louisiana, and Tennessee consistently rank at the bottom of the nation in a wide variety of statistical categories, including literacy, infant mortality, hospital beds, toilet-paper sales, and shoe usage. Even so, some experts believe the region could be poised for a renaissance.

"The way things stand, things in the Deep South almost have to get better. Otherwise, the people who live there will devolve into preverbal, overall-wearing sub-morons within a century," said Professor Dennis Lassiter of Princeton University. "Either Southerners will start improving themselves, or they'll be sold to middle-class Asians as pets."

"My constituents are decent, hard-working folk," said Sen. Jesse Helms (R-NC), despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, in his 22nd annual "Next Year, By God!" speech on the steps of North Carolina's capitol building. "We are a proud people who mayn't have all that much fancy-pants book-learnin', but we live and die with pride in our proud heritage and the dignity of our forebears."

Helms' speech was met with nearly 25 minutes of enthusiastic hoots and rebel yells by the 15,000 drunk, unemployed tobacco pickers in attendance.

Though Southerners are overwhelmingly in favor of rising again, few were able to provide specific details of the rising-again process.

"I don't know, I reckon we'll build us a bunch of big, fancy buildins and pave us up a whole mess of roads," said Bobby Lee Fuller of Greenville, MS. "I ain't exactly sure where we're gonna get the money for that, but when Johnny Reb sets his mind to something, you best get out of his way."

"Oh, it'll happen, sure as the sun come up in the morning," said Buford Comstock, 26, a student at Over 'N' Back Diesel Driving School in Union City, TN. "The South is gonna rise up, just as soon as we get together and get all our shit back in one sock. Then, look out, Northerners!"

"Yesiree," Comstock added, "one day soon, the Mason-Dixon Line will be the boundary between a great nation and one whose time done passed."

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:05 pm 

denisdman wrote:

That's work, although I am struggling to get through Michael's Lewis' most recent book. Just not very compelling.

I prefer Beer Market, but the Tavern would work.

Not Schaumburg enough.

When I read the summary of that Michael Lewis book, I knew I would struggle to get through it. So I skipped it.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:20 pm 

Good God, look at this thread. We need baseball to start.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next