It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
long time guy wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
why did some southern states secede from th union after the 1860 presidential election? | Yahoo Answers
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... nst_search

:lol: Stahp.

Nah. It is important not to distort history. That is what you've attempted to do.

You are pulling Yahoo answers as a serious source and you think others are "distorting history"? You quit making sense four pages ago.

Just so we are clear. Was the secession of the South about slavery expansion or not?

I have plenty of books by plenty of Historians that will say exactly the same thing. Which ones do you want me to cite?

Those books are called secondary sources, and I have no doubt you can find a book on the thousands on the subject that says almost anything. The statements of secession were posted earlier. Those are primary sources. They did not say that we are leaving because Lincoln will prevent slavery in the West. They said they believed the federal government was going to restrict their rights. Even if it was about expansion to the West (which was not stated), that was because it meant decreased political power at the federal level hence the loss of slavery in their own states. So I do not know what you are arguing anymore. Do you?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:04 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Since Lincoln quotes seem to be the order of the day lets examine one taken shortly after secession.

"Do the people of the South really entertain fears that a Republican administration would directly or indirectly, interfere with their slaves, or with them, about their slaves? If they do, I wish to assure you, as once a friend, and still, I hope, not an enemy that there is no cause for such fears"

You don't care about what he said. Just what he did. Your words. Won the war. Ended slavery.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:12 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
why did some southern states secede from th union after the 1860 presidential election? | Yahoo Answers

Nah. It is important not to distort history. That is what you've attempted to do.

You are pulling Yahoo answers as a serious source and you think others are "distorting history"? You quit making sense four pages ago.

Just so we are clear. Was the secession of the South about slavery expansion or not?

I have plenty of books by plenty of Historians that will say exactly the same thing. Which ones do you want me to cite?

Those books are called secondary sources, and I have no doubt you can find a book on the thousands on the subject that says almost anything. The statements of secession were posted earlier. Those are primary sources. They did not say that we are leaving because Lincoln will prevent slavery in the West. They said they believed the federal government was going to restrict their rights. Even if it was about expansion to the West (which was not stated), that was because it meant decreased political power at the federal level hence the loss of slavery in their own states. So I do not know what you are arguing anymore. Do you?

America Empire of Liberty. Page 149. "At this stage Lincoln was no abolitionist (February, 1961). He had two basic aims: no further expansion of slavery into the West and preservation of the United States". Lincoln went out of his way to let the Southern States know that he wasn't interested in killing slavery.

Here is the idiocy in all of this ad I readily admit my role in this trust me I do.

You have the Missouri Compromise. Texas War for Independence. Compromise of 1850. Kansas/Nebraska skirmish all addressing the issue of slavery expansion and the tenuous nature involved in it.

You have the Crittenden compromise, which was a last ditch effort at averting war by allowing extension of slavery West as long as it fell under 36' 30". You have all of these things suggesting that it was about Western expansion yet it really wasnt if you believe what''s written here.

Last edited by long time guy on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:17 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Since Lincoln quotes seem to be the order of the day lets examine one taken shortly after secession.

"Do the people of the South really entertain fears that a Republican administration would directly or indirectly, interfere with their slaves, or with them, about their slaves? If they do, I wish to assure you, as once a friend, and still, I hope, not an enemy that there is no cause for such fears"

You don't care about what he said. Just what he did. Your words. Won the war. Ended slavery.

Slavery ended on his watch because Southern society was destroyed. If Lincoln could maintain unity while preserving slavery he would. His words supported by his actions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:51 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Same thing I was arguing before. How is this for primary source and "not making sense" clearly states the historical reasons for secession. Also a primary sourced document.

Avalon Project - Confederate States of America - Georgia Secession
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_geosec.asp

Here is the inherent contradiction of what you along with JLN have been arguing. The Republican Party was created as an anti-slavery political party dedicated to restricting the expansion of slavery. That was part of their mission statement if memory serves correctly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:05 am 

long time guy wrote:
Same thing I was arguing before. How is this for primary source and "not making sense" clearly states the historical reasons for secession. Also a primary sourced document.

Here is the inherent contradiction of what you along with JLN have been arguing. The Republican Party was created as an anti-slavery political party dedicated to restricting the expansion of slavery. That was part of their mission statement if memory serves correctly.

That document is barely readable. Line breaks would be nice, and we have already posted it before. You keep harping on Western Expansion. What was the end game on that? It was to break slavery legally through democratic means. Politicians make promises all the time. Do you think Lincoln, a northerner of humble origins, really cared about maintaining the power of the Southern Planter class? Do you think he desired slavery to continue? Clearly the answer is no. He wanted to find a peaceful way to end it. Before he could even try, the South rebelled, and Lincoln won the war and freed the slaves.

You want to get into a guessing game about what would have happened without Southern actions is pure speculation, and has nothing to do with historical fact.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:13 am 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Slavery ended on his watch because Southern society was destroyed. If Lincoln could maintain unity while preserving slavery he would. His words supported by his actions.

He destroyed Southern society by leading the war effort. Lincoln also was the South's reason to go to war because they rightfully believed that he was going to try to restrict slavery at the very least. Why is what happened less important than what you feel would have happened?

Where does Lincoln rank on your list of presidents?

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:28 am 

long time guy wrote:

That document is barely readable. Line breaks would be nice, and we have already posted it before. You keep harping on Western Expansion. What was the end game on that? It was to break slavery legally through democratic means. Politicians make promises all the time. Do you think Lincoln, a northerner of humble origins, really cared about maintaining the power of the Southern Planter class? Do you think he desired slavery to continue? Clearly the answer is no. He wanted to find a peaceful way to end it. Before he could even try, the South rebelled, and Lincoln won the war and freed the slaves.

You want to get into a guessing game about what would have happened without Southern actions is pure speculation, and has nothing to do with historical fact.

This is where the disconnect occurs (among many others). I'm not saying that he was an advocate for slavery. He wasn't an I previously stated that in my opinion he was at best ambivalent. Lincoln was perfectly content to play the war of attrition game with respect to slavery. He was against Western expansion of slavery. He may have hated slavery, but he did little eradicate it.

Being Anti Slavery is quit different than being an abolitionist.

As far as reasons for Secession the Georgia delegation late the argument out perfectly. They Clearly stated that their reasons for seceding were related to North''s historical opposition with regards to expansion.

1960 platform also clearly addresses the issue to.

1860 National Presidential Election Platforms
http://www.ushist.com/general-informati ... orms.shtml

Republican Platform of 1856
http://www.ushistory.org/gop/convention ... atform.htm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:32 am 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

He destroyed Southern society by leading the war effort. Lincoln also was the South's reason to go to war because they rightfully believed that he was going to try to restrict slavery at the very least. Why is what happened less important than what you feel would have happened?

Where does Lincoln rank on your list of presidents?

Top five given what he dealt with.

FDR is No.1
Washington #2
Eisenhower #3
Lincoln #4

LBJ#5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:34 am 

long time guy wrote:
[

He was against Western expansion of slavery. He may have hated slavery, but he did little eradicate it.

Except for win a war that, intentionally or unintentionally, eradicated slavery.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
FDR was way too soft on the commies. WAY too soft.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:54 am 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

This is where the disconnect occurs (among many others). I'm not saying that he was an advocate for slavery. He wasn't an I previously stated that in my opinion he was at best ambivalent. Lincoln was perfectly content to play the war of attrition game with respect to slavery. He was against Western expansion of slavery. He may have hated slavery, but he did little eradicate it.

Being Anti Slavery is quit different than being an abolitionist.

As far as reasons for Secession the Georgia delegation late the argument out perfectly. They Clearly stated that their reasons for seceding were related to North''s historical opposition with regards to expansion.

1960 platform also clearly addresses the issue to.

1860 National Presidential Election Platforms
http://www.ushist.com/general-informati ... orms.shtml

Republican Platform of 1856
http://www.ushistory.org/gop/convention ... atform.htm

The bolded part is a flat out lie. He literally ended slavery.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:57 am 

long time guy wrote:

FDR is No.1
Washington #2
Eisenhower #3
Lincoln #4

LBJ#5

So it was fine to own slaves and ensure slavery would continue, but actually ending slavery doesn't count.

And Eisenhower? He was the leader of the most powerful country in the history of the world. And he let the military industrial complex take over. He knew he messed up as he was leaving office.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
And Eisenhower? He was the leader of the most powerful country in the history of the world. And he let the military industrial complex take over. He knew he messed up as he was leaving office.

Eisenhower shrunk the military big league in his 8 years in office, which was promptly reversed by JFK and LBJ. So yeah, not really.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:30 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
lol, long time guy diggin' deep into Yahoo Answers for this one. Maybe now we'll get the answer to "how is babby formed"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:39 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
FDR was way too soft on the commies. WAY too soft.

He had a lot of them inside his administration.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:43 am 

long time guy wrote:

FDR is No.1
Washington #2
Eisenhower #3
Lincoln #4

LBJ#5

So it was fine to own slaves and ensure slavery would continue, but actually ending slavery doesn't count.

Your facts are off on Eisenhower. As far as Washington goes he gets the "prevailing thought" nod on that one. Eisenhower's share of the miliary budget was much lower than Presidents which succeeded him and he also got us out of the disastrous Korean War.

As far as Lincoln goes his role in ending slavery was minimal. Circumstances dictated that slavery was going to end much more than anything he did. He didn't even want to fight the damn war. Tried to reassure Southern slaveowners even after they'd seceded.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:44 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
lol, long time guy diggin' deep into Yahoo Answers for this one. Maybe now we'll get the answer to "how is babby formed"

I'll get my answers to anywhere I can find them. Yahoo is a very credible source for information. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:46 am 

good dolphin wrote:
long time guy wrote:
[

He was against Western expansion of slavery. He may have hated slavery, but he did little eradicate it.

Except for win a war that, intentionally or unintentionally, eradicated slavery.

He unintentionally entered the war. If he'd sought out war as John Brown did then I'd be celebrating him more.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:50 am 

long time guy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
long time guy wrote:
[

He unintentionally entered the war. If he'd sought out war as John Brown did then I'd be celebrating him more.

John Brown heard voices in his head.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
good dolphin wrote:
long time guy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
long time guy wrote:
[

Ah, so that's why historical texts refer to him as "The Viper".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: None at all
Grant gets a bad wrap due to the scandals that kept popping up with his administration, but it was the beginning of the Gilded Age, and money started influencing politics like never before. He also tried to pick up Lincoln's ideas for reconstruction that Johnson had shit on at every turn being that he was a white supremacist.

Grant did a lot to protect the rights of freed slaves as well as to work with Native Americans that he believed were being treated horribly. Unfortunately, he's been painted as a weak drunk which couldn't be further from the truth.

/Grant rant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: None at all
Also, Elmhurst Steve think Jefferson Davis should be on the list.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:06 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

Eisenhower shrunk the military big league in his 8 years in office, which was promptly reversed by JFK and LBJ. So yeah, not really.

There was not military decrease in the 50s: http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data_Set_Group_Id=539

The US was building warheads like crazy: https://ourworldindata.org/nuclear-weapons/

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:10 pm 

lifesucks wrote:
Grant gets a bad wrap due to the scandals that kept popping up with his administration, but it was the beginning of the Gilded Age, and money started influencing politics like never before. He also tried to pick up Lincoln's ideas for reconstruction that Johnson had shit on at every turn being that he was a white supremacist.

Grant did a lot to protect the rights of freed slaves as well as to work with Native Americans that he believed were being treated horribly. Unfortunately, he's been painted as a weak drunk which couldn't be further from the truth.

/Grant rant

The Scooter of presidential history

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:18 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

FDR is No.1
Washington #2
Eisenhower #3
Lincoln #4

LBJ#5

Your facts are off on Eisenhower. As far as Washington goes he gets the "prevailing thought" nod on that one. Eisenhower's share of the miliary budget was much lower than Presidents which succeeded him and he also got us out of the disastrous Korean War.

As far as Lincoln goes his role in ending slavery was minimal. Circumstances dictated that slavery was going to end much more than anything he did. He didn't even want to fight the damn war. Tried to reassure Southern slaveowners even after they'd seceded.

Why does Washington get that prevailing thought nod, but not Lincoln, who used political talk to get into office then ended slavery.

If the bolded part is true it means that individuals have no influence on history. Is that your argument?

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:38 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

FDR is No.1
Washington #2
Eisenhower #3
Lincoln #4

LBJ#5

Why does Washington get that prevailing thought nod, but not Lincoln, who used political talk to get into office then ended slavery.

If the bolded part is true it means that individuals have no influence on history. Is that your argument?

IN the case of Washington he gets a pass because he was the president of a fledgling country. It is difficult to get past his ownership of slaves. I try to focus on his stewardship of a nation literally in its infancy.

Lincoln had very little influence over slavery ending. Individuals can influence history. In his case he won a war he wasn't interested in fighting.

He won the Civil War. Gets credit for that but with the advantage enjoyed by the North he should have. The War ended slavery.

I know this is alternative history but let me ask you this.

If the the War had ended quickly and the South weren't ravaged do you believe that Lincoln would have ended slavery?

Last edited by long time guy on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:49 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:
long time guy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
long time guy wrote:
[

We all do

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:02 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

FDR is No.1
Washington #2
Eisenhower #3
Lincoln #4

LBJ#5

IN the case of Washington he gets a pass because he was the president of a fledgling country. It is difficult to get past his ownership of slaves. I try to focus on his stewardship of a nation literally in its infancy.

Lincoln had very little influence over slavery ending. Individuals influence history. He won the Civil War. With the advantage enjoyed by the North he should have. I will give him credit for that. The War ended slavery. I know this is alternative history but let me ask you this.

If the the War had ended quickly and the South weren't ravaged do you believe that slavery would have ended?

If the North won a war slavery was toast. As soon as the South went to war that was the stakes. There was not going to be a quick war for a Northern victory. States would have fought on even if the North took over say Virginia. The only way for a short war was a Southern victory.

But in your scenario, why do you think the North would say no worries keep this terrible practice even though you went to war?

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:19 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

FDR is No.1
Washington #2
Eisenhower #3
Lincoln #4

LBJ#5

Lincoln had very little influence over slavery ending. Individuals influence history. He won the Civil War. With the advantage enjoyed by the North he should have. I will give him credit for that. The War ended slavery. I know this is alternative history but let me ask you this.

If the the War had ended quickly and the South weren't ravaged do you believe that slavery would have ended?

If the North won a war slavery was toast. As soon as the South went to war that was the stakes. There was not going to be a quick war for a Northern victory. States would have fought on even if the North took over say Virginia. The only way for a short war was a Southern victory.

But in your scenario, why do you think the North would say no worries keep this terrible practice even though you went to war?

Yes. Northerners weren't interested in competing with former slaves for jobs. They were always opposed to the expansion of slavery not the system. The abolitionist movement was never as strong as has been portrayed. Even they weren't in favor of equality. Most abolitionists believed in black inferiority. As long as slavery was viewed as that "peculiar institution" employed by Southerners they were fine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next