It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Flying
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:42 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
It was a tip I had from a neighbor, actually. She had told me to save some old clothes, wear them on vacation and get rid of them, which opens up a lot more room in your suitcase for your return trip. This method worked like an absolute charm travelling back from Augusta last year as we had about $500 worth of souvenirs, I had about 30 Masters cups I was bringing home.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Hatchetman wrote:
Sometimes I have to take my fucking shoes off I can't stand it any longer. After 12-14 hours my fucking feet feel like jungle rot is setting in. One time I took my shoe off and placed it down right into a carpet full of cold coffee.

That's where the correct socks come into the picture.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I find that black cotton sweat socks are the best but have not tried $40 REI socks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Men used to wear tophats, capes, and white wigs.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Hatchetman wrote:
I find that black cotton sweat socks are the best but have not tried $40 REI socks.

They weren't close to $40 - they're about $14.

Wigwam seems to have changed their branding, but they were the Wigwam Ultimax. They now seem to be called the Cool Lite Hiker Pro Crew,

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:29 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
1. I don't own a sport coat, because guys who are a 3XL should not draw attention to the shift in color at the fattest part of their sorry body. I own suits.
2. I rarely wear a suit jacket onto a flight. Learn to fold your fucking suit jacket properly and put it in your 22" roller carryon. All wearing a suit jacket in a humid airport will do is make you sweat more and be a fucking mess when you take it off and sit next to somebody for four hours.
3. Go to REI and invest in a couple of good pairs of socks. They have socks which look fine with a suit but which are very good at odor management. And for God's sake, do not take your shoes off on the damned airplane.
4. The Caller Bobs who got kicked off the plane should have known better. "Non rev" dress standard is essentially that if you can't wear it to work at corporate HQ or on a corporate sales call, you can't wear it on the fucking plane.
5. Paradoxically, one of the reasons I fly more is because it makes things more comfortable. I get to sit in places which won't offend as many other customers, I can book the exit row at ticketing and then get upgraded about 75% of the time. Trust me, i get embarrassed when somebody sits next to me in coach. I try and minimize how much that happens through free upgrades, and when the price is right I buy up to first class.
6. If you are a fat guy who doesn't fly a lot, fly Southwest. Sit in row 17 or 18 on the aisle. I learned from experience flying them about 300 times from 2007-2013 that those are the seats with the lowest likelihood of somebody taking the middle seat. Many times the plane only had 1-3 empty seats, and inevitably one was next to my fat ass.

As a formerly 3XL guy, I cannot agree with this more.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
I'm not buying a sports coat to fly. That's insane.

Wearing a sport coat is insanity? You can see how standards have slipped. I'm sure the guy wearing flip flops thinks shoes are insane.

Times change. There are plenty of ways to fly comfortably that are completely acceptable that don't involve sport coats.

:lol:

I don't know why, but this topic always makes me literally LOL. It's just such a bizarre discussion. I love it.

Same. It's just a classic CFMB argument. Jorr's always on the losing end of it though because he's forced to turn "jeans and polo shirt" into "bathrobes and shower shoes" in order to make his argument.

Also, I don't fly as often as most of you, probably flown about a dozen or so times total in my life so far, but the clipping toenails thing is not actually a thing, right? I've never seen anything close to that bizarre on a flight.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:39 am 
1000 CLUB

Let me add a few things:

1) If you fly non-rev, you must obey the company's dress code and standards. Not only can they deny boarding to you, but they can write up the employee who provided the passes to you. I know some airlines can also suspend the employee's pass access. Is it really that hard to dress appropriately for a few hours?

2) I second the bit about folding the coat. Even if you don't put it inside your case, you should be able to neatly store it on top of your bag in most mainline aircraft.

3) Flew ORD-SNA a week ago and they ran out of overhead space very quickly. Turns out most people put their bags in sideways. Some quick adjustments all the way back and I think everyone managed to get their bags in the cabin. Learn how to stow your bags properly.

4) Keep your shoes on. Keep your shoes on. Keep your shoes on. We don't want to see your feet. And the wet floors in the lavs - that's not water. I can't tell you how many people I've seen walking in the lavs barefoot. So leave your damn shoes on.

5) I look at it this way - I don't want to end up on Passenger Shaming - so I try my best to be both presentable and anonymous. When I shop I don't want to end up on People of Wal-Mart - so while I'm not dressing up to go to Wal-Mart I don't look horrible, either.

'6) For those of you who fly with suits or sportcoats - I strongly recommend the RedOxx AirBoss. Just FYI.

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I will preface this with two facts:
- I am fat. 3XL.
- I probably fly more than anybody here other than C. Howitt Fealz. 34 flights already in 2017.

1. I don't own a sport coat, because guys who are a 3XL should not draw attention to the shift in color at the fattest part of their sorry body. I own suits.
2. I rarely wear a suit jacket onto a flight. Learn to fold your fucking suit jacket properly and put it in your 22" roller carryon. All wearing a suit jacket in a humid airport will do is make you sweat more and be a fucking mess when you take it off and sit next to somebody for four hours.
3. Go to REI and invest in a couple of good pairs of socks. They have socks which look fine with a suit but which are very good at odor management. And for God's sake, do not take your shoes off on the damned airplane.
4. The Caller Bobs who got kicked off the plane should have known better. "Non rev" dress standard is essentially that if you can't wear it to work at corporate HQ or on a corporate sales call, you can't wear it on the fucking plane.
5. Paradoxically, one of the reasons I fly more is because it makes things more comfortable. I get to sit in places which won't offend as many other customers, I can book the exit row at ticketing and then get upgraded about 75% of the time. Trust me, i get embarrassed when somebody sits next to me in coach. I try and minimize how much that happens through free upgrades, and when the price is right I buy up to first class.
6. If you are a fat guy who doesn't fly a lot, fly Southwest. Sit in row 17 or 18 on the aisle. I learned from experience flying them about 300 times from 2007-2013 that those are the seats with the lowest likelihood of somebody taking the middle seat. Many times the plane only had 1-3 empty seats, and inevitably one was next to my fat ass.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:41 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Wearing a sport coat is insanity? You can see how standards have slipped. I'm sure the guy wearing flip flops thinks shoes are insane.

Times change. There are plenty of ways to fly comfortably that are completely acceptable that don't involve sport coats.

I don't know why, but this topic always makes me literally LOL. It's just such a bizarre discussion. I love it.

Same. It's just a classic CFMB argument. Jorr's always on the losing end of it though because he's forced to turn "jeans and polo shirt" into "bathrobes and shower shoes" in order to make his argument.

Not true. I always win because allowing "jeans and a polo shirt" quickly declined into "bathrobes and shower shoes". And inevitably one of the guys who I am supposedly "losing" this argument to will take a flight and point out the ill-mannered savagery he witnessed which is undoubtedly linked to the causal attitudes during flight that are signified by sportswear.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:43 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Not true. I always win because allowing "jeans and a polo shirt" quickly declined into "bathrobes and shower shoes". And inevitably one of the guys who I am supposedly "losing" this argument to will take a flight and point out the ill-mannered savagery he witnessed which is undoubtedly linked to the causal attitudes during flight that is signified by sportswear.

Yeah, I know that's your argument, but it's wrong. The whole premise is wrong. I often wear jeans and a shirt to your clubhouse. I promise that's not gonna some day devolve into me showing up in my bathrobe and clipping my toenails at the bar.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:44 am 

I will say that dressing in a suit has really made sure that Wall Street behaves well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:45 am 
1000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
I don't fly as often as most of you, probably flown about a dozen or so times total in my life so far, but the clipping toenails thing is not actually a thing, right? I've never seen anything close to that bizarre on a flight.

https://www.instagram.com/passengershaming/?hl=en

Check out Passenger Shaming on Facebook, too...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
JORR, remember when you were really feeling your oats and compared not wearing a sports coat to not wearing pants?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:50 am 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
JORR, remember when you were really feeling your oats and compared not wearing a sports coat to not wearing pants?

The point was, where does the casualness end? I think it's pretty obvious it hasn't ended with clean jeans and a nice polo shirt.

Also, I wouldn't compare air travel to anything else. You're becoming part of a small insular community for minimally several hours. You're all stuck together. It's not like a club where you can walk out or a train where you can change cars at the next stop.

As Kirkwood correctly pointed out, it's not about protesting against an airline, it's about courtesy toward one's fellow travelers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:52 am 
1000 CLUB

And not looking like you just came from a shake-and-bake meth operation or turning tricks at a truck stop.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
As Kirkwood correctly pointed out, it's not about protesting against an airline, it's about courtesy toward one's fellow travelers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:52 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

The point was, where does the casualness end? I think it's pretty obvious it hasn't ended with clean jeans and a nice polo shirt.

Also, I wouldn't compare air travel to anything else. You're becoming part of a small insular community for minimally several hours. You're all stuck together. It's not like a club where you can walk out or a train where you can change cars at the next stop.

This always gets into a circular type of argument, but his is where the sane among us point out that it's not discourteous in any way to your fellow passengers to wear jeans a polo shirt. I probably wouldn't go as far as Frank and wear a shirt I'm purposely throwing away, but any normal polo shirt should easily suffice in the "respect" department.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:53 am 
Site Admin

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRroEDYhrea ... ming&hl=en

Scorpios probably shouldn't be allowed to fly at all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
The last 3 flights I have taken I have worn an older Tshirt that I throw away as soon as I have arrived at my hotel.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
This method worked like an absolute charm travelling back from Augusta last year as we had about $500 worth of souvenirs, I had about 30 Masters cups I was bringing home.

How has there not been a documentary about you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 am 

C_Howitt_Fealz wrote:
And not looking like you just came from a shake-and-bake meth operation or turning tricks at a truck stop.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

One of the reasons I'm always entertained by this is you old guys love insisting on arguing something nobody is arguing against. It'd be like saying "Yeah, and I don't think it's appropriate to rape women on a plane either. Sorry, that's just the type of classy guy I am!" :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Curious Hair wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
The last 3 flights I have taken I have worn an older Tshirt that I throw away as soon as I have arrived at my hotel.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
This method worked like an absolute charm travelling back from Augusta last year as we had about $500 worth of souvenirs, I had about 30 Masters cups I was bringing home.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Curious Hair wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

To rock my soul

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I wasn't around but I'm pretty sure the 1950s had a lot of bad behavior too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
An asshole in pajamas and flip flops doesn't become a refined and courteous traveler as soon as he puts on a suit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:01 pm 

Tradition, custom, and acting like a gentleman is important when it comes to special things like flying. Not as important for everyday things like being elected President of the United States.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Killer V wrote:
An asshole in pajamas and flip flops doesn't become a refined and courteous traveler as soon as he puts on a suit.

No, but people act differently in a formal environment. It's not the flip flops and pajamas that are making the guy an asshole. It's the lax atmosphere that is giving him carte blanche to let his assholishness come to the fore in the form of wearing shower shoes among other bad behaviors.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:04 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Killer V wrote:
An asshole in pajamas

♫ is coming down the stairs ♫

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Tradition, custom, and acting like a gentleman is important when it comes to special things like flying. Not as important for everyday things like being elected President of the United States.

:lol: You're not gonna play gotcha with me with that, though I admit it is a nice try. I've said time and time again that I don't appreciate Trump's approach. I've just pointed out that many people voted for him precisely because of it.

I was just reading some excerpts and a review of a book called The Death of Expertise. The article talked about Trump's hires and their lack of experience which entirely misses the point. A lot of people look at the country and their own personal situations and say, "So-called experts have been running this shit forever and look where we are. Let's try something else."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

In the 50's, savages smoked cigarettes on planes, increasing the chances of lung cancer for all those near them. Looked good in their suits, though.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:33 pm 

Chus wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

In the 50's, savages smoked cigarettes on planes, increasing the chances of lung cancer for all those near them. Looked good in their suits, though.

And I would presume that some of us were relegated to the back of the plane, because, well.. of outdated "courtesies" :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Regular Reader wrote:
And I would presume that some of us were relegated to the back of the plane, because, well.. of outdated "courtesies" :lol:

I didn't know some of you were even allow ON the plane. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next