It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: United Airlines
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:50 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
I am curious. How about plans that revolved about being somewhere on time? Is the airline liable for any missed time or maybe you had to take an extra vacation day because of a delay?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:03 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Cashman wrote:
I am curious. How about plans that revolved about being somewhere on time? Is the airline liable for any missed time or maybe you had to take an extra vacation day because of a delay?

That really is what bugs me about the process in general. There is a real lack of concern for people's lives just to get a crew to Louisville. It happens all the time but that does not mean there is not a better way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:05 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
But hey...bags fly free.
At $25 and sometimes $50 a bag with other airlines, this can add up very quickly. If other airlines started offering even one checked bag for free, I think Southwest would see a pretty significant drop in business.
If Southwest was truly the cheapest then it would be more of a benefit. I'd pretty much always check one bag at most for me and my wife. That means a $25 difference in fare makes up for that. Now, I've got an airline credit card that gives me free checked bags though that does have a yearly fee that means I have to fly them at least once or twice a year to make up that difference.

Also, given the scam of Southwest "Early Bird Checkin" which is something you don't have on any other airline you may very well be spending $15 per person each way just so you can sit together as so many people do it now that if you don't you are almost assured to be at the end of the B line or even in C if you don't.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:08 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I don't disagree with you.

I'm just saying that the bag fees can be make or break for a family trying to take their yearly or bi-yearly vacation.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:14 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I don't disagree with you.

I'm just saying that the bag fees can be make or break for a family trying to take their yearly or bi-yearly vacation.

No doubt. Southwest can still be great if you are willing to fly at bad times too. There are a lot of families that need to shop at Wal-Mart too. I'm not going to blame anyone for flying on or liking Southwest. I'm just no longer a fan of them after being one of the diehards before.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:34 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
DannyB wrote:
Yeah does anyone know who those guys were? I've heard them referred to as police officers, airport security, and also United security. They looked like they could have been Air Marshals.

I think they were from the quasi police force they have out at O'Hare. Really just security guards employed by the City. They're always arguing that they should be armed. It's probably a good thing they weren't.

Probably Luna security

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:37 am 
100000 CLUB

Ah, I don't think so. From what I saw, those guys looked WAY too thin to be with Luna.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:39 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:40 am 

At least on guy had Police on the back of his shirt/vest. I do not think security anything is allowed that. It would say Security on the back.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:45 am 
100000 CLUB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
pittmike wrote:
Cashman wrote:

That really is what bugs me about the process in general. There is a real lack of concern for people's lives just to get a crew to Louisville. It happens all the time but that does not mean there is not a better way.

Agreed

I think people hear they offered him $800 or $1000 and think cash, but I am pretty sure it was credit. And credit does not pay for a vacation day or a hotel stay.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
pittmike wrote:
Cashman wrote:

This is why I think the solution is simple. Follow Delta's model where you keep on raising the offer until someone takes it. You will have some travelers on your plane who have no urgency to get to the plane's destination. The offer will entice them to volunteer. If that offer means a free trip somewhere for someone who has the time to take it, then the bumping is not an unpleasant experience.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
But hey...bags fly free.
At $25 and sometimes $50 a bag with other airlines, this can add up very quickly. If other airlines started offering even one checked bag for free, I think Southwest would see a pretty significant drop in business.
If Southwest was truly the cheapest then it would be more of a benefit. I'd pretty much always check one bag at most for me and my wife. That means a $25 difference in fare makes up for that. Now, I've got an airline credit card that gives me free checked bags though that does have a yearly fee that means I have to fly them at least once or twice a year to make up that difference.

Also, given the scam of Southwest "Early Bird Checkin" which is something you don't have on any other airline you may very well be spending $15 per person each way just so you can sit together as so many people do it now that if you don't you are almost assured to be at the end of the B line or even in C if you don't.

just shopped for a flight to the east coast and even before you consider checked bag fees southwest was easily $100+ less than anyone else for my 3 tickets. my wife just flew southwest and checking in exactly 24 hours before she was able to get A50 boarding position (not having to pay the early bird check-in fee)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:55 am 

I go to LA a couple times a year. As they are planned trips I can shop. I mostly have used Southwest and never paid more than $250 a ticket. There are Spirit and other cheapos and at time United comes close. Bottom line is SW out of Pitt works very well for me. Also, yes the baggage can save 100 which isn't nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:02 am 

billypootons wrote:
just shopped for a flight to the east coast and even before you consider checked bag fees southwest was easily $100+ less than anyone else for my 3 tickets. my wife just flew southwest and checking in exactly 24 hours before she was able to get A50 boarding position (not having to pay the early bird check-in fee)
Of course Southwest still has some low fares. I already said as much. It's normally inconvenient times though. It's normally pretty cheap to fly on them at 6am on a Sunday morning and on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I can share plenty of anecdotes when other airlines that weren't Spirit were cheaper than Southwest too when I was looking though.

I had early bird checkin where I ended up near the back of the B lines and got C before by checking in 10 minutes after the window. When you have to set an alarm in order to check in to your flight exactly 24 hours before so you can be sure you can sit with your wife that is a bad system.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: John's
If I am flying with my wife, I always do Southwest. I give her one of my checked bagged bags and carry on bag. Why do women feel the need to pack nearly 1/2 the house for a 2-3 day trip?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:10 am 

The Cult of Southwest Airlines is strong on this board. It's ok. I was once like you guys.

I'll now be happy to have a reserved seat, ample leg room, and I won't be stressed out going to the airport that I'm going to miss the cattle call and end up looking for two center seats close enough so I can nod to my wife every so often and then get my bag that had to be checked at the gate.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:11 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
billypootons wrote:
When you have to set an alarm in order to check in to your flight exactly 24 hours before so you can be sure you can sit with your wife that is a bad system.

it is what it is... some are willing to pay $15 a ticket to not have to do that... luckily i fly so infrequently i can deal with all the bullshit that taking a plane trip entails in 2017...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:13 am 

You guys know that for free you can check in 24 hours in advance via the internet right? Since that began I never once boarded worse than group B.

Edit. I did not see this was mentioned. I will add I never did not sit with my companion.

Last edited by pittmike on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:15 am 

billypootons wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
billypootons wrote:
When you have to set an alarm in order to check in to your flight exactly 24 hours before so you can be sure you can sit with your wife that is a bad system.

it is what it is... some are willing to pay $15 a ticket to not have to do that... luckily i fly so infrequently i can deal with all the bullshit that taking a plane trip entails in 2017...
That's the point though. It's $15 per ticket and you can't split them up unless you buy the tickets separately and then do the "SEATS TAKEN!" routine while you and your travel companion get on separately. That's $30 each way which is equal to or more than pretty much any checked bag fee I've had. So right there you already give up your cost savings unless you check multiple bags and there really isn't any reason for that when you can get 50 pounds on it. If you fly a decent amount the credit card yearly fee makes it even more cost effective.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:19 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The Cult of Southwest Airlines is strong on this board. It's ok. I was once like you guys.

I'll now be happy to have a reserved seat, ample leg room, and I won't be stressed out going to the airport that I'm going to miss the cattle call and end up looking for two center seats close enough so I can nod to my wife every so often and then get my bag that had to be checked at the gate.

you are surprised infrequent fliers pick the cheapest option and are willing to put up with some shit to fly said cheapest option?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:23 am 

pittmike wrote:
You guys know that for free you can check in 24 hours in advance via the internet right? Since that began I never once boarded worse than group B.

Thanks for the tip, Mr. Wizard.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:25 am 

billypootons wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

you are surprised infrequent fliers pick the cheapest option and are willing to put up with some shit to fly said cheapest option?
Of course not. It seems like people are arguing that Southwest is a great airline or at least don't like that I am saying it isn't a great airline. People love Wal-Mart too. I just happen to not be a fan of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:29 am 

If you figured $25 dollars a checked bag, family of four(8 bags), round trip, that's a savings of $400. I don't know why Brick is making that seem inconsequential.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:31 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
If you figured $25 dollars a checked bag, family of four(8 bags), round trip, that's a savings of $400. I don't know why Brick is making that seem inconsequential.
:lol: 8 bags? Are they moving to the new place?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:33 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
My family of 4 went to Florida back in Feb...3 checked bags, 2 carry on's...8 bags is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Of course not. It seems like people are arguing that Southwest is a great airline or at least don't like that I am saying it isn't a great airline. People love Wal-Mart too. I just happen to not be a fan of it.

BRick is correct. Southwest is no longer special. We're fortunate to have a competitive Chicago market and they're just a guy.

The no seat assignment is dreadful.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
billypootons wrote:
the formerly orange chuck goudy took a try at victim blaming:

http://abc7chicago.com/news/who-is-the-kentucky-doctor-dragged-from-the-united-plane/1861682/

What really has me interested now is the fact that I think this guy's history has to play some role in this whole mess. The passenger's response to this situation is outside the bell curve... it's extreme and I dont believe a sane person responds this way... is that because he was under the influence of something? Or does United have to wear this 100% on them no matter who crazy a passenger literally may be.

Yes, United has to wear this 100%.

It's torts 101. Eggshell plaintiff. When you are negligent you take your victims as you find them. Even if the guy was on drugs. In this situation, its well within the realm of reasonable thinking that it is foreseeable that a person in that situation might react extremely. It's also reasonably foreseeable that some people flying on planes might be intoxicated, legally or otherwise. Intoxicated people sometimes react more extremely than others. Once again, United knew or should've known this when they attempted to force people off their plane. Even if he was taking illegal drugs, that doesn't mean he was fair game to be assaulted.

The fact that this is the part of the situation that has you "really interested now" just shows that you are easily distracted by non essential facts. Which was basically the point of all those articles coming out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:38 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
:lol: 8 bags? Are they moving to the new place?

Yeah, that's what I said to my wife...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:40 am 

I'm guessing if bags were extra, we would have cut it down to six.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next