It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:47 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
IMO, the reason college basketball looks like they're taking bad shots is because they don't have the skill level of NBA players. They literally have to run a motion offense and run it well to get a good shot unless they have a stud.
It's also the rules which allow for more of a chance for quality defense compared to the talent level. In the NBA, the best defender pretty much can't stop the best guy on the other team from getting their numbers. Lebron may be the only rare exception of a guy who can shut a guy down. There is a reason there are no NBA teams that have an impact on the game like a Wisconsin does with their style of efficient offense and defense that forces you into tough shots without fouling.

The ironic part is that the "one and dones" mostly prove to not be as good as others in the college game. The very best players this year, and in most years, are not "one and dones". There are a few reasons for that but it really doesn't matter in the discussion.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Here's a take: Hockey has the most skilled athletes of any sport.

This is from attending more hockey games recently. Really don't follow the league that closely. I can imagine that a hockey team could put up a decent showing in other sports, but I can't imagine athletes from other sports skating and have the precision in passing and shooting. Those are skills that I can't comprehend.

Remember the old Bo Knows commercials? If I recall correctly he was doing all the sports and the respective pro was agreeing. Then all the sudden you get a final Gretztky go, NO. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:49 am 

shakes wrote:
I'm with Brick on this one. Saying that college basketball sucks because of one and dones is hardly an unpopular take.

I think its more unpopular to say you find the college game more exciting than the NBA which is an opinion I happen to have.

NBA game is shit, nothing but 3 pointers and clear outs. Its basically just glorified one v one basketball with 8 other people standing there.

The vast majority of people that I talk to about basketball all love the college game and nothing aside from the Super Bowl is hyped in the way that that March Madness is. When was the last time you heard of an NBA Finals pool?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
leashyourkids wrote:
IMO, the reason college basketball looks like they're taking bad shots is because they don't have the skill level of NBA players. They literally have to run a motion offense and run it well to get a good shot unless they have a stud.

NBA can get good shots with isolation, especially during the regular season when there's less double teaming.

However, I tend to fall on the old white man's side in that I like the emotion of college athletics even if the skill level is far less. That's regular season only. The NBA playoffs are where it's at, but these guys don't care that much during the regular season.

In order of best to worst:

NBA playoffs
March Madness
College BBall regular season
NBA regular season

Racist.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
It's also the rules which allow for more of a chance for quality defense compared to the talent level. In the NBA, the best defender pretty much can't stop the best guy on the other team from getting their numbers. Lebron may be the only rare exception of a guy who can shut a guy down. There is a reason there are no NBA teams that have an impact on the game like a Wisconsin does with their style of efficient offense and defense that forces you into tough shots without fouling.

The ironic part is that the "one and dones" mostly prove to not be as good as others in the college game. The very best players this year, and in most years, are not "one and dones". There are a few reasons for that but it really doesn't matter in the discussion.

Aren't the top 10 picks in this years draft supposed to be freshmen? Looking at the names, they certainly seemed like they were the best players.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:54 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Aren't the top 10 picks in this years draft supposed to be freshmen? Looking at the names, they certainly seemed like they were the best players.
Lonzo Ball was the only freshman of the four finalists for the NPOY award.

They will be drafted lower but that is based on potential and not current skill. Some of them were pretty good in college though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:55 am 

Also, the top ten of the national player of the year awards had two freshman on it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:57 am 

leashyourkids wrote:

NBA can get good shots with isolation, especially during the regular season when there's less double teaming.

However, I tend to fall on the old white man's side in that I like the emotion of college athletics even if the skill level is far less. That's regular season only. The NBA playoffs are where it's at, but these guys don't care that much during the regular season.

NBA playoffs
March Madness
NBA regular season

I think the NBA regular season gets a bad rap and the whole "rest" thing doesn't help much. Colleges play two games a week with many of them blowouts. There is such a discrepancy in the play of good to very good that games are often laughers by half time.

There are a number of NBA games that simply deliver. I also like the fact that there are real matchups. You don't get that in 98% of college games.

Not to mention the "geniuses" that are the upper echelon coaches. Their success is accomplished due to their school's willingness and ability to consistently pay large sums of money to teenagers, their families, handlers and AAU coaches. You give "Coach Cal" and "Coach K" UIC''s Talent and they'd get UIC results.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina

This is from attending more hockey games recently. Really don't follow the league that closely. I can imagine that a hockey team could put up a decent showing in other sports, but I can't imagine athletes from other sports skating and have the precision in passing and shooting. Those are skills that I can't comprehend.

Hockey is for the people who couldn't make real sports teams.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:59 am 

long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

NBA playoffs
March Madness
NBA regular season

I think the NBA regular season gets a bad rap and the whole "rest" thing doesn't help much. Colleges play two games a week with many of them blowouts. There is such a discrepancy in the play of good to very good that games are often laughers by half time.

There are a number of NBA games that simply deliver. I also like the fact that there are real matchups. You don't get that in 98% of college games.

Not to mention the "geniuses" that are the upper echelon coaches. Their success is accomplished due to their school's willingness and ability to consistently pay large sums of money to teenagers, their families, handlers and AAU coaches. You give "Coach Cal" and "Coach K" UIC''s Talent and they'd get UIC results.

I'm not claiming it's a purposeful "carelessness" by players. It's just that the regular season is too long and anyone who is halfway decent makes the playoffs. That combo leads to regular season games that suck. A perfect example is when a team sits their star players. I mean, why wouldn't they? The playoffs are all that really matters for good teams.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:01 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Also, the top ten of the national player of the year awards had two freshman on it.

Your point? Most of the elite Freshman are pros from the time they are Sophomores in high school. They don't even take the College basketball season seriously. It's simply a weigh station until they can push unto the big stage.

College Hoops is for the Frank Masons of the world.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:02 pm 

long time guy wrote:
This just isn't true. There are blowouts in both the NBA and college basketball.

long time guy wrote:
Neither is this.

Are you honestly saying a team like Purdue, even in a down conference, only played 1 "real matchup" last year?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:04 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Your point? Most of the elite Freshman are pros from the time they are Sophomores in high school. They don't even take the College basketball season seriously. It's simply a weigh station until they can push unto the big stage.

My point is that the "one and dones" don't really have a major impact outside of a couple a year except in rare circumstances. We'll use Ben Simmons as an example. He was pretty much meaningless in college.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:05 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

NBA playoffs
March Madness
NBA regular season

I'm not claiming it's a purposeful "carelessness" by players. It's just that the regular season is too long and anyone who is halfway decent makes the playoffs. That combo leads to regular season games that suck. A perfect example is when a team sits their star players. I mean, why wouldn't they? The playoffs are all that really matters for good teams.

That resting stuff is hurting the league. I agree with that. There are still a number of regular season games that are competitive though.

The playoffs are predictable and you do know which teams will be in the finals in a typical season. Probably 3-4 teams capable of actually winning but there is something to be said for seeing the best in the game playing at a high level.

College championship games tend to be boring as he'll to me given the lack of skill on the part of the players.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!

THat's not an unpopular take, its actually a scientific fact.

Simply put, all pro athletes do amazing things, but hockey players are the only ones to do them on ice while wearing knives on their feet for balance. And they do it at the fastest speed of any sport besides nascar.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:
I'm with Brick on this one. Saying that college basketball sucks because of one and dones is hardly an unpopular take.

I think its more unpopular to say you find the college game more exciting than the NBA which is an opinion I happen to have.

NBA game is shit, nothing but 3 pointers and clear outs. Its basically just glorified one v one basketball with 8 other people standing there.

The vast majority of people that I talk to about basketball all love the college game and nothing aside from the Super Bowl is hyped in the way that that March Madness is. When was the last time you heard of an NBA Finals pool?

That's because it's easy to bet on, and there are tons of games going on at once. It's popular for the gambling, much like the Super Bowl.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:09 pm 

shakes wrote:

Simply put, all pro athletes do amazing things, but hockey players are the only ones to do them on ice while wearing knives on their feet for balance. And they do it at the fastest speed of any sport besides nascar.

:lol: It's a scientific fact?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:09 pm 

shakes wrote:
regular season hockey games are more entertaining than playoff hockey games.

Yup

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:11 pm 

shakes wrote:

When I hear who the greatest athletes are I always hear NBA players. And that might be true depending on how you define greatest. The speed and skill of hockey seems like it would be difficult to duplicate by other athletes though.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:11 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You obviously missed his point. It was actually a pretty simple point. He stated it quite clearly when he said that the best players in CBB this year weren't freshmen. And he backed it up by posting that only 2 of the top ten finalists for NPOY were freshman.

So that begs the question, what point are you trying to make in your response or did you just not understand what Brick was saying despite it being crystal clear?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:14 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
shakes wrote:

Are you saying its easier to skate than run?

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
shakes wrote:

Simply put, all pro athletes do amazing things

Hockey Gay wrote:
shakes wrote:

Yup

How do you figure this?

I enjoy both, but playoff hockey is better IMO.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
shakes wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
shakes wrote:

shakes , what makes one guy a great skater over another in the NHL? I've never been able to differentiate it. I know that some guys are faster than others obviously but when announcers say so and so worked on his skating this offseason or so and so is just a great skater , what in particular are they referring to?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:23 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
shakes wrote:

Yup

How do you figure this?

The refs let too much slide in the playoffs and the games get bogged down in non called interference infractions. End up with neutral zone tug of wars and dump and get held at the blue line offense.

I watch it because I have to, but often I find the games to be boring. Through two days there hasn't been a single game with more than 4 total goals in regulation time. That's not because the defense is better in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:24 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
shakes wrote:

Yup

How do you figure this?

Shakes stated his reason why and there isn't much I can add to it as I feel the same way.

Obviously, playoff hockey is more intense but that intensity kind of ruins the game. Look at last night, for example, with the Preds running a 5 man trap.

There's just no ice for the game to show off it's skill and speed like the regular season does.

I was so bored during that Hawks' game last night.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:27 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
shakes wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
shakes wrote:

shakes , what makes one guy a great skater over another in the NHL? I've never been able to differentiate it. I know that some guys are faster than others obviously but when announcers say so and so worked on his skating this offseason or so and so is just a great skater , what in particular are they referring to?

Usually its edge work and power skating. Working on your edges allows you to make tighter pivot turns and be a lot quicker on all your turns in general. Power skating work leads to quicker first stride and doing a better job digging into the ice with the proper part of the blade. Look at a guy like Duncan Keith. He wouldn't win any end to end races, but because of his edge work and quickness he is able to pivot faster than just about anyone in the league and has one of the quickest accelerations of anyone as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:28 pm 

shakes wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
shakes wrote:

Depends on who it is. There people who can't skate, but there are also people cwho can't dribble a basketball. My point is that it's not a scientific fact.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:33 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
shakes wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
shakes wrote:

Depends on who it is. There people who can't skate, but there are also people cwho can't dribble a basketball. My point is that it's not a scientific fact.

Let me put this a different way. Take a 5 year old, give him a pair of gym shoes and ice skates. Take him to a gym and have him run around. Take him to a rink and put him on the ice. Which activity is going to be easier?

Simply put, hockey is the only sport where you have to learn an entirely foreign method of moving your body, on ice while wearing skates. Every other sport you already take with you the basic athletic ability needed for basic function in the sport since that always involves running/jumping which is something we start doing at age 2.

This really isn't debatable.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:52 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

My point is that the "one and dones" don't really have a major impact outside of a couple a year except in rare circumstances. We'll use Ben Simmons as an example. He was pretty much meaningless in college.

Ben Simmons never cared about impacting the College game. He cared about doing his 1 year of service and moving on to be the No. 1 pick. He was a sure fire No.1 overall from the time he was a sophomore in high school.

Frank Mason can impact college ball all he wants and get his passport ready because he won't sniff the NBA. He isn't that good and that is the problem with college hoops to me. The quality of play is lacking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next