It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
shakes wrote:
Simply put, hockey is the only sport where you have to learn an entirely foreign method of moving your body, on ice while wearing skates. Every other sport you already take with you the basic athletic ability needed for basic function in the sport since that always involves running/jumping which is something we start doing at age 2.

This really isn't debatable.

Pole Vaulting
Water Polo
Horsey Polo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:56 pm 

shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Also, the top ten of the national player of the year awards had two freshman on it.

Your point? Most of the elite Freshman are pros from the time they are Sophomores in high school. They don't even take the College basketball season seriously. It's simply a weigh station until they can push unto the big stage.

College Hoops is for the Frank Masons of the world.

You obviously missed his point. It was actually a pretty simple point. He stated it quite clearly when he said that the best players in CBB this year weren't freshmen. And he backed it up by posting that only 2 of the top ten finalists for NPOY were freshman.

So that begs the question, what point are you trying to make in your response or did you just not understand what Brick was saying despite it being crystal clear?

You missed the point. The most talented players are the one and dones and most of them don't care about impacting the college game. Their draft slots are established well before there is even a midnight madness held.

Do you think that Jayson Tatum went all out? How about that Jackson kid? You think they didn't take note of Embiid, Giles, Smith Jr and say F that?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
In the NBA, the best defender pretty much can't stop the best guy on the other team from getting their numbers. Lebron may be the only rare exception of a guy who can shut a guy down.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Once again, basketball talk ruins everything.

This thread was really fun while it lasted.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Also, the top ten of the national player of the year awards had two freshman on it.

Your point? Most of the elite Freshman are pros from the time they are Sophomores in high school. They don't even take the College basketball season seriously. It's simply a weigh station until they can push unto the big stage.

You obviously missed his point. It was actually a pretty simple point. He stated it quite clearly when he said that the best players in CBB this year weren't freshmen. And he backed it up by posting that only 2 of the top ten finalists for NPOY were freshman.

So that begs the question, what point are you trying to make in your response or did you just not understand what Brick was saying despite it being crystal clear?

You missed the point. The most talented players are the one and dones and most of them don't care about impacting the college game. Their draft slots are established well before there is even a midnight madness held.

Do you think that Jayson Tatum went all out? How about that Jackson kid? You think they didn't take note of Embiid, Giles, Smith Jr and say F that?

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read here.

To answer your idiotic question, yes I think Jayson Tatum went all out in every game he played this year.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:20 pm 

long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Tell that to the projected top 5 pick in this video.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=de%27aaron+fox+crying&view=detail&mid=303B5AC51278023133C8303B5AC51278023133C8&FORM=VIRE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Keep following the logic, shakes. Does figure skating require more talent than basketball?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
leashyourkids wrote:
Keep following the logic, shakes. Does figure skating require more talent than basketball?

Not being shakes, but I would say it does. Definitely requires a lot more balance and coordination...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:23 pm 

shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

To answer your idiotic question, yes I think Jayson Tatum went all out in every game he played this year.

What was idiotic about? Ben Simmons admitted he didn't really care much for the college game and most the top guys probably would admit the same thing.

When your very best players are guys that are fringe NBA players at best it sort of validates the point I'm making.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:24 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

Yes. Easily.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:26 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Yes. Easily.

If we're in agreement, I'm fine with that.

Baseball has to take the most talent. The best players in the world fail at their job 60-70% of the time. What other sport does that happen?

Edit: nevermind, the answer to the above is probably college basketball.

To rock my soul

Last edited by FavreFan on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leashyourkids wrote:

It's definitely more difficult to become a top figure skater as opposed to a top basketball player.

But, figure skaters don't also have to carry a stick and play a fast moving team sport with 9 other grown men skating around at top speed trying to hurt you so its not as difficult as hockey.

That said, I've been skating for 40 years and I couldn't imagine even trying some of the stuff that figure skaters routinely do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:27 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

My point is that the "one and dones" don't really have a major impact outside of a couple a year except in rare circumstances. We'll use Ben Simmons as an example. He was pretty much meaningless in college.

Ben Simmons never cared about impacting the College game. He cared about doing his 1 year of service and moving on to be the No. 1 pick. He was a sure fire No.1 overall from the time he was a sophomore in high school.

Frank Mason can impact college ball all he wants and get his passport ready because he won't sniff the NBA. He isn't that good and that is the problem with college hoops to me. The quality of play is lacking.

Frank mason dominated those players. They should play better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:28 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Not being shakes, but I would say it does. Definitely requires a lot more balance and coordination...

That's fine. I just think shakes has an emotional attachment to hockey and lox.

I don't think it's about talent as much as it is athleticism. I would agree baseball takes the most talent but a chain smoking fatass can be good at it.

FavreFan wrote:
Baseball has to take the most talent. The best players in the world fail at their job 60-70% of the time. What other sport does that happen?

no.

shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

:lol:

I love how these one and dones are choosing not to dominate because that's obviously a smart move.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:29 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

My point is that the "one and dones" don't really have a major impact outside of a couple a year except in rare circumstances. We'll use Ben Simmons as an example. He was pretty much meaningless in college.

Ben Simmons never cared about impacting the College game. He cared about doing his 1 year of service and moving on to be the No. 1 pick. He was a sure fire No.1 overall from the time he was a sophomore in high school.

Frank Mason can impact college ball all he wants and get his passport ready because he won't sniff the NBA. He isn't that good and that is the problem with college hoops to me. The quality of play is lacking.

But those players weren't trying!

Signed,

LTG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:29 pm 

I thought we were arguing athleticism, not talent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:31 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:

Those are two distinctly different things. I thought we were arguing talent. Baseball takes the most talent. It takes the least amount of athleticism. Basketball takes the most amount of both to play.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:33 pm 

shakes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

But those players weren't trying!

Signed,

LTG

Which top tier NBA talent did he dominate? I don't watch much college hoops but something tells me they were the bball equivalent of tomato cans. College basketball is bum city these days.

Local steak and shake employees to be. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:35 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

:lol:

I love how these one and dones are choosing not to dominate because that's obviously a smart move.

Spoken like a guy that just stated that LeBron James is the only shutdown guy in the league. He isn't even top 5 or 10 at this stage when it comes to that.

You look at the mock drafts prior to the start of their freshman year. It rarely changes after the conclusion of their freshman season.

These guys already know where they are going to be drafted and so do NBA scouts. No incentive to go hard because it may lead to injury.

Harry Giles's entire career is in jeopardy because of injuries suffered prior to playing college ball. This stuff matters.

Last edited by long time guy on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:35 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

Those are two distinctly different things. I thought we were arguing talent. Baseball takes the most talent. It takes the least amount of athleticism. Basketball takes the most amount of both to play.

Disagree. Hockey takes more. I can give you basketball at #2 though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
FavreFan wrote:

That doesn't mean anything since it just means the other guy is succeeding 60-70% of the time

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:37 pm 

long time guy wrote:

Which top tier NBA talent did he dominate? I don't watch much college hoops but something tells me they were the bball equivalent of tomato cans. College basketball is bum city these days.

Local steak and shake employees to be. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

LTG summed up: I don't watch CBB, but let me tell you all about CBB.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:38 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

That doesn't mean anything since it just means the other guy is succeeding 60-70% of the time

Unless the other guy is Jose Quintana.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:40 pm 

shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I have watched enough to know it sucks! It's why don't watch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:40 pm 

shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:

To be fair, that's every NBA opinion in this thread outside of mine, ltg, and db's.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
FavreFan wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

Hockey requires a high level of hand eye coordination like baseball coupled with physical contact and having to skate around on ice. I don't think any other sport comes close to the level of talent needed to play professional hockey.

Jordan picked up a bat and went to the minors. Tebow picked up a bat and went to the minors. They were never going to be in the MLB but they could hang with other pros. No other athlete from another league is jumping over to the AHL and going to be able to hang.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next