It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
America wrote:
Absolutely nobody in this thread has made an even remotely funny or clever response. LOL HE SAID DONT GO, LIKE THE DAKOTAS ARE BORING N STUFF LOL SO FUNNY. Its the little moments, like this thread, that remind how worthless to humanity the majority of this site's userbase really is. "y-yea I bet you can find some nice UBER fares out there" bla bla get some new material you losers.

As for GD

You're about to learn that these places, particularly Mount Rushmore, are most definitely spring break destinations. Enjoy the crowds. You're not going to be far from some pretty cool stuff though, Devil's Tower is juusssst far enough to ward off the lazy hordes so you may be able to enjoy it in relative isolation. If you take the "long way" on WY-24 you'll pass through Aladdin which is a cool old mining town. People deride this part of the country because of its lack of fast casual dining options, but I really miss it. Nothing gives you a sense of the vastness of the USA quite like it, yea not much exciting happens there but that's kind of the point. Nothing exciting happens in Schaumburg either but people on this board dont seem to have a problem with going there.

Might be cool to buy a rifle and do some Lewis and Clark LARPing on federal land. Teach the kids how to blast clays from 200 yards away across some impossibly scenic valley on federal land (this is usually legal FYI).

TL;DR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
full disclosure I didnt stop in that shithole town in Wyoming but it looked sorta cool from the highway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:35 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
You try to cobble together a better spring break trip on a week's notice.

Wisconsin Dells
Nashville
Stay home.

The dells? are you making an ethnic stereotype?

I've been to Nashville and liked it

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:37 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Go watch high school sports in South Dakota.

Don't they play some weird form of basketball where only three players can cross the half court line?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:43 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boyd is correct. Don't go. Seriously. The Dakotas are worthless.

As someone else said, the hiking alone should be worth the trip. I know some have said Rushmore will be disappointing but I'd say it along with the Statue of Liberty are the two most iconic sculptures in this country

I also think Custer and crazy horse will be cool. Id like to go to a reservations n and horseback riding. Id also love to
Do
Some
Stargazing that seems like a few days well
Spent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:45 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
If you don't love the badlands, please drive off a cliff, maybe the most beautiful territory in our country.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:46 pm 

a genius wrote:
14 hour drive? I'd opt for New Orleans.

I went last year. There really aren't too many interesting places south and west of Illinois that I haven't visited but I haven't been west as much. Someone suggested Texas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:46 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Take your kids and you will have no choice but to stop at Wall Drugand the Corn Palace thanks to the billboards.

Mt. Rushmore is wildly overrated in comparison to the Badlands. Save your sanity

i was gonna mention it if no one else did!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:48 pm 

SteveSarley wrote:
Louisville makes for a great 4-day trip.
Louisville Slugger factory tour, Churchill Downs, Jim Beam distillery and Mammoth Cave to name a few things.
Incredibly, Louisville has some unbelievably good restaurants, too.
It's not a family trip, though.

I e been to the Louisville Lexington area. I loved it. Bourbon, horse farms, baseball were all good times

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
"Badlands" - Springsteen
"South Dakota Morning" - Bee Gees
"Misfits" - Neil Young

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
good dolphin wrote:
SteveSarley wrote:
Louisville Slugger factory tour, Churchill Downs, Jim Beam distillery and Mammoth Cave to name a few things.

I e been to the Louisville Lexington area. I loved it. Bourbon, horse farms, baseball were all good times

Went several years for closing weekend at Keeneland and opening weekend at Churchill... go to the Derby if you haven't been, but if you want similar fun on a bit of a cheaper scale, this always worked. All the UK sorority girls were out at Keeneland dressed in their Southern best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:01 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Go watch high school sports in South Dakota.

Don't they play some weird form of basketball where only three players can cross the half court line?

No that's the NBA.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
America wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
America wrote:
Absolutely nobody in this thread has made an even remotely funny or clever response. LOL HE SAID DONT GO, LIKE THE DAKOTAS ARE BORING N STUFF LOL SO FUNNY. Its the little moments, like this thread, that remind how worthless to humanity the majority of this site's userbase really is. "y-yea I bet you can find some nice UBER fares out there" bla bla get some new material you losers.

As for GD

You're about to learn that these places, particularly Mount Rushmore, are most definitely spring break destinations. Enjoy the crowds. You're not going to be far from some pretty cool stuff though, Devil's Tower is juusssst far enough to ward off the lazy hordes so you may be able to enjoy it in relative isolation. If you take the "long way" on WY-24 you'll pass through Aladdin which is a cool old mining town. People deride this part of the country because of its lack of fast casual dining options, but I really miss it. Nothing gives you a sense of the vastness of the USA quite like it, yea not much exciting happens there but that's kind of the point. Nothing exciting happens in Schaumburg either but people on this board dont seem to have a problem with going there.

Might be cool to buy a rifle and do some Lewis and Clark LARPing on federal land. Teach the kids how to blast clays from 200 yards away across some impossibly scenic valley on federal land (this is usually legal FYI).

It's amusing that you're under the impression you're the only person here who has spent time there. I lived in ND and spent significant time in SD. "Go some place else for vacation" isn't meant to be clever. It's meant to be good advice, and it's better advice then this idiotic post.

If you cannot find something interesting about the place you are then the problem isn't with that place, the problem is with you.

:lol:

Not really. It just means you aren't as enamored with plains, rocks, and trees as some other folks are.

I agree it's probably a better vacation destination than Schaumburg.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
Fate has left me changing my vacation plans for the year. I was scrambling around for something drivable and available on short notice without reservations. Mt. Rushmore, The Black Hills and Badlands seem to fit the bill. They are not a typical spring break destination so I can get lodging. They are interesting historical sights every American should see and ones that I and my family have not. On the other hand, I am other wise unaware of anything of interest in the entire state.

So...any of you who have traveled the area who have some tips, I would mighty obliged if you would share with me.

My wife did this trip as a family vacation when she was a little girl. It just so happened that it was right at the time when the AIM/Leonard Peltier thing was going on. There were Feds all over the place and Indians on the warpath. Her family ate microwaved cheeseburgers on Pine Ridge Reservation. She got this book she always talks about called Pretty Shield, Medicine Woman. She's looked for it online but has never found it. She also got this little doll: Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:07 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Honestly the night sky is special out there. Drive from Bozeman to Denver when Hal bop comet was passing buy and it was tremendous as we crossed eastern Wyoming. The black hills are beautiful. Really it's what you want to get out of it. I'm not a fan of the reservations but what you have listed will be a few days well spent as you said.

If you're driving stop in Kadoka to get gas as there is a pretty big distance till next services. At least it was 9 years ago and 20 years ago. There really isn't much out there between Mitchell and Dpearfish.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Marty's tap in Sioux Falls is great.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Go somewhere else.

Caller Bob wrote:
Fly United

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:18 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Fate has left me changing my vacation plans for the year. I was scrambling around for something drivable and available on short notice without reservations. Mt. Rushmore, The Black Hills and Badlands seem to fit the bill. They are not a typical spring break destination so I can get lodging. They are interesting historical sights every American should see and ones that I and my family have not. On the other hand, I am other wise unaware of anything of interest in the entire state.

So...any of you who have traveled the area who have some tips, I would mighty obliged if you would share with me.

Literally just drove there last weekend. I will say Mt. Rushmore itself is underwhelming in person. Hiking in the Badlands and Black Hills is worth it though (lots of wildlife to see). Crazy Horse Monument and the accompanying museum is worth looking at.

Mt. Rushmore is the ultimate "Fuck You" to the natives. We are going to carve out the faces of four white men who sought your extermination, on a hill in your sacred land.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:20 pm 

Walt Williams Neck wrote:
SteveSarley wrote:

Love Looooville

Same here. It's an under-rated town.

The locals pronounce it Low-Ville. I have a friend who lives there. He looks like Peja Stojaković.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:14 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Chus wrote:
Walt Williams Neck wrote:
SteveSarley wrote:

Love Looooville

Same here. It's an under-rated town.

The locals pronounce it Low-Ville. I have a friend who lives there. He looks like Peja Stojaković.

I also have heard good things about Louisville and like to visit there too, and to add the Muhammad Ali museum too

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:43 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Honestly the night sky is special out there. Drive from Bozeman to Denver when Hal bop comet was passing buy and it was tremendous as we crossed eastern Wyoming. The black hills are beautiful. Really it's what you want to get out of it. I'm not a fan of the reservations but what you have listed will be a few days well spent as you said.

If you're driving stop in Kadoka to get gas as there is a pretty big distance till next services. At least it was 9 years ago and 20 years ago. There really isn't much out there between Mitchell and Dpearfish.

You should have put on the nikes and drank your juice and died. JK :lol:

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:17 am 

Memphis didn't get mentioned here but it is a pretty nice, drivable, short vacation destination. It's probably not as clean of a city as Nashville but I think it compares very well. It also has more history.

I got home yesterday and everyone was bitching about me filling up their break, except for the kid who will have his extended by the trip. Very deflating.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:19 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
good dolphin wrote:
Memphis didn't get mentioned here but it is a pretty nice, drivable, short vacation destination. It's probably not as clean of a city as Nashville but I think it compares very well. It also has more history.

I got home yesterday and everyone was bitching about me filling up their break, except for the kid who will have his extended by the trip. Very deflating.

Be the boss. Make your kids go and enjoy something. They would just waste their time otherwise anyway.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:34 am 

pittmike wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Be the boss. Make your kids go and enjoy something. They would just waste their time otherwise anyway.

I'm not new to this. Kids, by nature, are self centered and short term thinkers. It would be nice to walk in the door one day and be treated as the conquering hero.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Chus wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Literally just drove there last weekend. I will say Mt. Rushmore itself is underwhelming in person. Hiking in the Badlands and Black Hills is worth it though (lots of wildlife to see). Crazy Horse Monument and the accompanying museum is worth looking at.

Mt. Rushmore is the ultimate "Fuck You" to the natives. We are going to carve out the faces of four white men who sought your extermination, on a hill in your sacred land.

accurate, which is why Crazy Horse exists as an answer to that. Crazy Horse dwarfs Mount Rushmore in its size and scale

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
pittmike wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

You should have put on the nikes and drank your juice and died. JK :lol:

More of a Major Applewhite fan than a Marshall Applewhite.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Drove through South Dakota on a cross country road trip after graduating college. Beautiful and underrated state. As others have said, Mt. Rushmore is very underwhelming in person, much smaller than you would think.

Devil's mountain (from the movie) looks really cool.

THe badlands are neat.

Never been to Deadwood, but I hear its a must see stop.

And last, but certainly not least, you MUST stop at Wall Drug.

If you have time, drive through Wyoming too. Easily the prettiest state I ever drove through.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:09 am 

Wait!

The young Dolphins swim in public schools?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:48 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Wait!

The young Dolphins swim in public schools?

just the one's I don't care about