It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:23 pm 

Fate has left me changing my vacation plans for the year. I was scrambling around for something drivable and available on short notice without reservations. Mt. Rushmore, The Black Hills and Badlands seem to fit the bill. They are not a typical spring break destination so I can get lodging. They are interesting historical sights every American should see and ones that I and my family have not. On the other hand, I am other wise unaware of anything of interest in the entire state.

So...any of you who have traveled the area who have some tips, I would mighty obliged if you would share with me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Go somewhere else.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:25 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Fly United

You try to cobble together a better spring break trip on a week's notice.

pizza_Place: Pequods
good dolphin wrote:
Fate has left me changing my vacation plans for the year. I was scrambling around for something drivable and available on short notice without reservations. Mt. Rushmore, The Black Hills and Badlands seem to fit the bill. They are not a typical spring break destination so I can get lodging. They are interesting historical sights every American should see and ones that I and my family have not. On the other hand, I am other wise unaware of anything of interest in the entire state.

So...any of you who have traveled the area who have some tips, I would mighty obliged if you would share with me.

Literally just drove there last weekend. I will say Mt. Rushmore itself is underwhelming in person. Hiking in the Badlands and Black Hills is worth it though (lots of wildlife to see). Crazy Horse Monument and the accompanying museum is worth looking at.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:30 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Literally just drove there last weekend. I will say Mt. Rushmore itself is underwhelming in person. Hiking in the Badlands and Black Hills is worth it though (lots of wildlife to see). Crazy Horse Monument and the accompanying museum is worth looking at.

I really only have four days to fill. I want to go horseback riding, see Deadwood and get drunk on firewater with a natives.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:33 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
In the SE corner there is some sort of corn palace thingy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
good dolphin wrote:
You try to cobble together a better spring break trip on a week's notice.

Wisconsin Dells
Nashville
Stay home.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:37 pm 

pittmike wrote:
In the SE corner there is some sort of corn palace thingy.

it's in Mitchell and it's a waste of time

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Go to Mt. Rushmore. Then jump off it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:39 pm 

Go watch high school sports in South Dakota.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Hit up an Applebee's

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Make sure to feed the bears. It makes them like you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:41 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Go to Mt. Rushmore. Then jump off it.

Take Frank with you

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Made the drive from Chicago through there for 4 years. Good luck.

But... crazy horse was kinda interesting, I doubt it will be much further along than it was 9 years ago when I got dragged out there for a few days. Pretty much everything you see is a tourist trap but depending on the age of your kids I guess it could be worse. The only good thing I'll say about mybtimes through South Dakota was at least it wasn't North Dakota.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:53 pm 

Move.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boyd is correct. Don't go. Seriously. The Dakotas are worthless.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:20 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
I'd second Nashville and hiking in the Appalachian, also mammoth caves amazing. Drive is 8 -10 hours verse 14.

When stopping through Louisville there is a good dr to exchange drugs for sex.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:40 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
14 hour drive? I'd opt for New Orleans.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

Drive up to Grand Forks, ND and check out the Olive Garden.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Louisville makes for a great 4-day trip.
Louisville Slugger factory tour, Churchill Downs, Jim Beam distillery and Mammoth Cave to name a few things.
Incredibly, Louisville has some unbelievably good restaurants, too.
It's not a family trip, though.

Former host of The Outdoors Experience on WIND and The Great Outdoors on CLTV
http://www.wefishasa.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Absolutely nobody in this thread has made an even remotely funny or clever response. LOL HE SAID DONT GO, LIKE THE DAKOTAS ARE BORING N STUFF LOL SO FUNNY. Its the little moments, like this thread, that remind how worthless to humanity the majority of this site's userbase really is. "y-yea I bet you can find some nice UBER fares out there" bla bla get some new material you losers.

As for GD

You're about to learn that these places, particularly Mount Rushmore, are most definitely spring break destinations. Enjoy the crowds. You're not going to be far from some pretty cool stuff though, Devil's Tower is juusssst far enough to ward off the lazy hordes so you may be able to enjoy it in relative isolation. If you take the "long way" on WY-24 you'll pass through Aladdin which is a cool old mining town. People deride this part of the country because of its lack of fast casual dining options, but I really miss it. Nothing gives you a sense of the vastness of the USA quite like it, yea not much exciting happens there but that's kind of the point. Nothing exciting happens in Schaumburg either but people on this board dont seem to have a problem with going there.

Might be cool to buy a rifle and do some Lewis and Clark LARPing on federal land. Teach the kids how to blast clays from 200 yards away across some impossibly scenic valley on federal land (this is usually legal FYI).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:59 pm 

America wrote:
Absolutely nobody in this thread has made an even remotely funny or clever response. LOL HE SAID DONT GO, LIKE THE DAKOTAS ARE BORING N STUFF LOL SO FUNNY. Its the little moments, like this thread, that remind how worthless to humanity the majority of this site's userbase really is. "y-yea I bet you can find some nice UBER fares out there" bla bla get some new material you losers.

As for GD

You're about to learn that these places, particularly Mount Rushmore, are most definitely spring break destinations. Enjoy the crowds. You're not going to be far from some pretty cool stuff though, Devil's Tower is juusssst far enough to ward off the lazy hordes so you may be able to enjoy it in relative isolation. If you take the "long way" on WY-24 you'll pass through Aladdin which is a cool old mining town. People deride this part of the country because of its lack of fast casual dining options, but I really miss it. Nothing gives you a sense of the vastness of the USA quite like it, yea not much exciting happens there but that's kind of the point. Nothing exciting happens in Schaumburg either but people on this board dont seem to have a problem with going there.

Might be cool to buy a rifle and do some Lewis and Clark LARPing on federal land. Teach the kids how to blast clays from 200 yards away across some impossibly scenic valley on federal land (this is usually legal FYI).

You're such a snowflake. :weelchairbb:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
SteveSarley wrote:
Louisville makes for a great 4-day trip.
Louisville Slugger factory tour, Churchill Downs, Jim Beam distillery and Mammoth Cave to name a few things.
Incredibly, Louisville has some unbelievably good restaurants, too.
It's not a family trip, though.

Love Looooville

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
America wrote:

As for GD

It's amusing that you're under the impression you're the only person here who has spent time there. I lived in ND and spent significant time in SD. "Go some place else for vacation" isn't meant to be clever. It's meant to be good advice, and it's better advice then this idiotic post.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:22 pm 

C_Howitt_Fealz wrote:
Drive up to Grand Forks, ND and check out the Olive Garden.

If you go to Grand Forks, you can just see all the dorms where Tazer banged college girls

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:31 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Tazer banged college girls

Did. Not.Happen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

Is the Bourbon Experience tour kid-friendly? I was in there shopping (no tour for me), but there were a lot of families hanging around downstairs where the tours start.

There's the goat farm on 65 (exit 29), Indiana Caverns 20 miles west...seems okay for kids.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
FavreFan wrote:
America wrote:

As for GD

It's amusing that you're under the impression you're the only person here who has spent time there. I lived in ND and spent significant time in SD. "Go some place else for vacation" isn't meant to be clever. It's meant to be good advice, and it's better advice then this idiotic post.

If you cannot find something interesting about the place you are then the problem isn't with that place, the problem is with you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:49 pm 

Take your kids and you will have no choice but to stop at Wall Drug and the Corn Palace thanks to the billboards.

Mt. Rushmore is wildly overrated in comparison to the Badlands. Save your sanity