It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:02 am 

I, for the life of me, cannot understand how community colleges haven't boomed in response to the inflation of four year degree prices.

Two years of low cost schooling (learning under some excellent people who are both experienced and interested in teaching rather than professoring) knocking out 100 level courses while working and maturing followed by two years of concentrating on a major seems like a perfect antidote for the high cost of colleges.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:05 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I, for the life of me, cannot understand how community colleges haven't boomed in response to the inflation of four year degree prices.

Two years of low cost schooling (learning under some excellent people who are both experienced and interested in teaching rather than professoring) knocking out 100 level courses while working and maturing followed by two years of concentrating on a major seems like a perfect antidote for the high cost of colleges.

That's what I did.

I did 3 years at a Community College. I also worked a full time job during that time. I made enough money to pay for all my schooling at the Community College and I had enough saved to pay for my additional 2 years at a University. I left college with zero debt.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:07 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Douchebag wrote:
I did 3 years at a Community College.
of coarse you did !!

I am sure all of your IDIOT FRIENDS went there too? lol

I agree with both of the above posts. I did CC as well. Its especially beneficial if you can work during your time there, as most CC's offer a good amount of evening, weekend, and online courses that enable you to work pretty much any schedule possible.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
just change the definition of middle class. problem solved.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I've told my kids I'd recommend going to one of the ccs in area as their future self will thank them. We have put away a good sized chunk of change for school but I see some of these costs and I start wondering what it's going to be 10 years from now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:

Of the people I knew who stayed home and went to community college, one graduated. The quality of community college seems to be fairly low. I think the advanced placement program should be a bit of a solution, but universities make it difficult to transfer credits in and graduate in 4 years or less.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:19 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
If you get your Associate's Degree, all of the gen eds transfer. You might have to take some extra classes as it pertains to your major, but the "101" type classes are accepted everywhere if you have that degree.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:22 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Of the people I knew who stayed home and went to community college, one graduated. The quality of community college seems to be fairly low. I think the advanced placement program should be a bit of a solution, but universities make it difficult to transfer credits in and graduate in 4 years or less.

That's anecdotal and you probably just know stupid people.

About 1/3 of people don't even finish their freshman year at any community college or university.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
It can also be easier to transfer into a school as a junior than gain admittance as a freshman because of how many flamed out in first two years at college.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
good dolphin wrote:

Ruff, this has been a big topic. Most of my nieces and nephews are right at the age of deciding on colleges, and my relatives are constantly asking for advice. It has been my exact experience that the majority kids going to community college end up not finishing school. My wife is a perfect example. There is a quality issue, and also kids get trapped living at home and hanging out with high school friends who end up being a negative influence and demotivating force.

As a consequence, I have encouraged my relatives to try universities.

It is a perfectly acceptable route to get gen eds and lower classes out of the way, especially to save money, but it just results in a lot of dead ends for students. If you're going to let your kid try that route, you have to stay on him/her to be sure that don't lose sight of the end goal.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
denisdman wrote:
There is a quality issue, and also kids get trapped living at home and hanging out with high school friends who end up being a negative influence and demotivating force.

You're right, living on their own in a dorm or frat/sorority should relieve them of all negative influences

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:28 am 

good dolphin wrote:

IMO, marketing. And football. Just wait, it'll change as soon as cheap junior college football will start to be viewed as content for ESPN/Fox/CBS/NBC Sports networks. And I'm actually serious.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:30 am 

I could have gone the JUCO route to hoop but I passed on it because I was fearful of how the credits would transfer upon completion. Went the HBCU route instead and it worked out similarly. Cost of tuition was cheap and it allowed me to graduate with little debt. If I'd exited undergrad with a lot of debt I'm pretty sure I'd have never enrolled in grad school.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:32 am 

Bagels wrote:
denisdman wrote:
There is a quality issue, and also kids get trapped living at home and hanging out with high school friends who end up being a negative influence and demotivating force.

You're right, living on their own in a dorm or frat/sorority should relieve them of all negative influences

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:32 am 

I would advise my kids to get a good liberal arts education and realize you are going to be poor but at least able to smugly look down on all those accountants and IT people who have full time jobs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:34 am 

long time guy wrote:
I could have gone the JUCO route to hoop but I passed on it because I was fearful of how the credits would transfer upon completion. Went the HBCU route instead and it worked out similarly. Cost of tuition was cheap and it allowed me to graduate with little debt. If I'd exited undergrad with a lot of debt I'm pretty sure I'd have never enrolled in grad school.

I was shocked at how much the costs there shot through the roof. Keeping up with the Joneses like that stunned me given what "the mission" once was :cry: . I told my son that unless he had a full scholarship, there was no point at my alma mater, given that its price point is now low Ivy League-ish.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:42 am 

Douchebag wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

That's anecdotal and you probably just know stupid people.

About 1/3 of people don't even finish their freshman year at any community college or university.

Graduation rates from community colleges are much lower than at universities so it's not "anecdotal". The graduation rates from community colleges for a 2-year degree is something like 20 percent - if you look at a 4-year period. So it's not some magic bullet to just send people to community colleges. If large percentages of students did this then colleges would lose millions in tuition and housing, and likely have to massively raise those rates for junior and seniors. And your story is the definition of anecdotal. Some people do well by going to community college, but it's the exception.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Bagels wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I guess I'd rather have my kids hanging around with other people aspiring to be doctors, lawyers and engineers rather than his/her high school friends that are working at Wal Mart and McDonalds or just living in their parent's basement. And those "negative" experiences on university campuses are one way to learn lot of life lessons. I still won't do shots of tequila!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:52 am 

denisdman wrote:
Bagels wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I guess I'd rather have my kids hanging around with other people aspiring to be doctors, lawyers and engineers rather than his/her high school friends that are working at Wal Mart and McDonalds or just living in their parent's basement. And those "negative" experiences on university campuses are one way to learn lot of life lessons. I still won't do shots of tequila!

Just shots of Tito's after listening to the podcast.

The Missing Link wrote:

Regular Reader wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I was shocked at how much the costs there shot through the roof. Keeping up with the Joneses like that stunned me given what "the mission" once was :cry: . I told my son that unless he had a full scholarship, there was no point at my alma mater, given that its price point is now low Ivy League-ish.

The game has definitely changed since then.

Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hatchetman wrote:
I would advise my kids to get a good liberal arts education and realize you are going to be poor but at least able to smugly look down on all those accountants and IT people who have full time jobs.

:lol: Okay, Northwestern Pete. You know very well the people who run the world have liberals arts educations.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:57 am 

Douchebag wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

That's what I did.

I did 3 years at a Community College. I also worked a full time job during that time. I made enough money to pay for all my schooling at the Community College and I had enough saved to pay for my additional 2 years at a University. I left college with zero debt.

let's not make this all about you

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I went to College of Dupage for a bit before going to a 4 year. In 1992 it was $18 a credit hour and now it's $135.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:02 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
:lol: Okay, Northwestern Pete. You know very well the people who run the world have liberals arts educations.

the world is run by massively insecure people who were mentally abused by their parents.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:04 am 

Graduation rates from community colleges are much lower than at universities so it's not "anecdotal". The graduation rates from community colleges for a 2-year degree is something like 20 percent - if you look at a 4-year period. So it's not some magic bullet to just send people to community colleges. If large percentages of students did this then colleges would lose millions in tuition and housing, and likely have to massively raise those rates for junior and seniors. And your story is the definition of anecdotal. Some people do well by going to community college, but it's the exception.

I don't think you understand the point of CC. The point of a CC isn't to graduate, sure plenty of people do, but the real point is to rack up a bunch of credits on the cheap and then transfer into a 4 year university to earn a BS.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
One Post wrote:

I don't think you understand the point of CC. The point of a CC isn't to graduate, sure plenty of people do, but the real point is to rack up a bunch of credits on the cheap and then transfer into a 4 year university to earn a BS.

I was thinking similarly. The grad rates at CC have to be skewed by transfers and also by people that only take some classes without a desire for a degree at all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:14 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hatchetman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

the world is run by massively insecure people who were mentally abused by their parents.

Are you advocating for a New World Order?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:28 am 

no. massively insecure people get things done.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
When my last name is Kennedy, I'll worry about my kid getting a Liberal Arts education so that she can be president someday.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
good dolphin wrote:

its what you make it. 100/200 level courses are low quality almost anywhere comparitively. you just have to wade through the mass of dolts who don't take it seriously and treat it as HS 2.0 to satisfy their parents on some stupid level. (i.e. most of your friends as well as mine)

i did 2 years of CC. but only left for real university with 1 and a half years of credits due to also being an idiot.