It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
pittmike wrote:
I was thinking similarly. The grad rates at CC have to be skewed by transfers and also by people that only take some classes without a desire for a degree at all.

This site has good data, and it seems to confirm what Ruff said.

http://collegecompletion.chronicle.com/

But you make a good point. If people are simply getting credits and moving onto a 4 year degree, then it would skew the numbers. The route DB took to complete his degree is a great story. I've just seen a lot of people fail in that endeavor, and I continue to see it with kids in the neighborhood. Well they used to be kids, and now their late 20's and still living with the parents.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
My brother, who was an idiot in HS, used CC correctly for two years, actually got scholarships, got an engineering degree at Bradley, and now makes more money than Dennis. :)

CC is about what you make of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:45 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
My brother, who was an idiot in HS, used CC correctly for two years, actually got scholarships, got an engineering degree at Bradley, and now makes more money than Dennis. :)

CC is about what you make of it.

Hah, living the dream!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:45 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
leashyourkids wrote:
My brother, who was an idiot in HS, used CC correctly for two years, actually got scholarships, got an engineering degree at Bradley, and now makes more money than Dennis.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
My brother, who was an idiot in HS, used CC correctly for two years, actually got scholarships, got an engineering degree at Bradley, and now makes more money than Dennis.

:lol:

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:53 am 

hnd wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I, for the life of me, cannot understand how community colleges haven't boomed in response to the inflation of four year degree prices.

Two years of low cost schooling (learning under some excellent people who are both experienced and interested in teaching rather than professoring) knocking out 100 level courses while working and maturing followed by two years of concentrating on a major seems like a perfect antidote for the high cost of colleges.

Of the people I knew who stayed home and went to community college, one graduated. The quality of community college seems to be fairly low. I think the advanced placement program should be a bit of a solution, but universities make it difficult to transfer credits in and graduate in 4 years or less.

its what you make it. 100/200 level courses are low quality almost anywhere comparitively. you just have to wade through the mass of dolts who don't take it seriously and treat it as HS 2.0 to satisfy their parents on some stupid level. (i.e. most of your friends as well as mine)

i did 2 years of CC. but only left for real university with 1 and a half years of credits due to also being an idiot.

High School 2.0 was definitely something that prevented me from doing it also. I thought from an academic and athletic standpoint it would be an extension of it. All of my guys that took the Juco route about 10 in all did it for basketball purposes. Once that was over their academic career was over as well.

In today's climate it is definitely more appealing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:08 am 

denisdman wrote:
[ The route DB took to complete his degree is a great story. .

Moby Dick is a great story.

Douchebag's words are a below average letter to the editor.

You would know this if you started out at a four year college.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:16 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I hope it doesn't devalue the Brand.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:27 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Douchebag wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Of the people I knew who stayed home and went to community college, one graduated. The quality of community college seems to be fairly low. I think the advanced placement program should be a bit of a solution, but universities make it difficult to transfer credits in and graduate in 4 years or less.

That's anecdotal and you probably just know stupid people.
Wow :lol: :lol:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I'm back at Harper full time and still working full time. It sucks, but I lose my GI benefits by 2021 if I don't use them.

Regarding the numbers on students who don't do well in CC, you're looking at the wrong culprit there, IMO. It's not the low quality of CC that causes students to drop out. It's the fact that the type of student who goes to CC instead of a university is already more prone to dropping out. Denis, your nieces and nephews will sink or swim at either one. If they choose CC and drop out, they would've dropped out at a university.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
I, for the life of me, cannot understand how community colleges haven't boomed in response to the inflation of four year degree prices.

Two years of low cost schooling (learning under some excellent people who are both experienced and interested in teaching rather than professoring) knocking out 100 level courses while working and maturing followed by two years of concentrating on a major seems like a perfect antidote for the high cost of colleges.

I did four years of college in 25 months while raising six children with my wife. Three years worth of classes at the CC, and finished the rest at a local university.

4 years is way too much time to spend in college.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:08 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

IMO, marketing. And football. Just wait, it'll change as soon as cheap junior college football will start to be viewed as content for ESPN/Fox/CBS/NBC Sports networks. And I'm actually serious.

Every JUCO in this state has dropped football except Dupage in the last 7/8 years.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.