It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
I've never been to Oakland but know it has a shitty reputation. Is the whole city lousy, or are there good areas and bad areas?

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/BAR ... 094745.php

BART takeover robbery: 40 to 60 teens swarm train, hold up riders.

BART police are beefing up patrols at Oakland stations after dozens of juveniles terrorized riders Saturday night when they invaded the Coliseum Station and commandeered at least one train car, forcing passengers to hand over bags and cell phones and leaving at least two with head injuries.

The incident occurred around 9:30 p.m. Saturday. Witnesses told police that 40 to 60 juveniles flooded the station, jumped the fare gates and rushed to the second-story train platform. Some of the robbers apparently held open the doors of a Dublin-bound train car while others streamed inside, confronting and robbing and in some cases beating riders.

“I’ve been there 24 years and this is the first time I’ve heard of anything like this happening,” said Keith Garcia, a BART police officer and union president.

Alicia Trost, a BART spokeswoman, said Monday that seven people were robbed — with the victims losing a purse, a duffel bag and five phones. Six people were robbed inside the train car, with a seventh confronted on the platform, she said. Police received no reports of guns or other weapons being brandished.

A police summary prepared after the incident said that at least two victims suffered injuries to the face or head that required medical attention.

The attack was so quick, police reported, that the teenagers were able to retreat from the station and vanish into the surrounding East Oakland neighborhood before BART officers could respond. The train was held for about 15 minutes as authorities interviewed victims and witnesses and tended to the injured.

Trost said police arrived at the station in less than 5 minutes, but that the robberies took place in just seconds.

BART police had increased the number of officers patrolling Oakland stations Saturday night because of a recent rise in the number of police calls. A BART police sergeant and an officer were in the station’s back parking lot on patrol when the station was stormed, Trost said. They were the first to arrive at the concourse after the crime was reported.

Rebecca Saltzman, president of the BART Board of Directors, said the board to examine ways to prevent a recurrence.

“This was obviously a terrible event and I’m sure very scary for the victims and the BART employees involved,” she said. “We’re looking at it very closely to see how we can respond to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

Director Robert Raburn, whose district includes Coliseum Station, said he was “very disturbed that such an aggressive action would put BART passengers and employees at risk. It cannot occur with impunity.”

Six of the nine cars on the train had working surveillance cameras, and BART police were viewing video from those cars as well as station cameras, Trost said. Since many victims and witnesses were unsure which car they were on, and didn’t know if the swarm had entered other cars, BART police are reviewing video from all working cameras. All BART trains are scheduled to be equipped with working cameras by the end of June.

“We are in the process of pulling all surveillance video, and we will share with Oakland police, Oakland Unified School District and Oakland Housing Authority to see if they can help identify the minors,” Trost said. “We have had success with sharing images of juveniles with this group and identifying and making arrests in the past.”

The images cannot be shared publicly, she said, because the attackers appear to be minors.

Trost said Oakland police have told their BART counterparts that other incidents involving large groups of teens took place in the general area Saturday night. Oakland police officials declined to comment, and would offer no details Monday, referring questions to BART police.

Robberies committed by small groups of people who snatch valuables from riders when trains stop at stations then dash off just before the train departs have been known to happen on BART, Trost said. But this was the first time she was aware of a train being swarmed by a large group of teens.

“We’re taking this seriously,” Saltzman said. “Things like this have happened elsewhere but not at BART.”

Last month, according to two television reports, a swarm of teenagers invaded a carnival near the Oakland Coliseum, beating workers and stealing prizes from the game booths. Robberies involving small groups invading stores and restaurants in the Bay Area are not unheard of. But incidents involving such large groups are rare.

The incident presents another challenge for BART, which hired a new police chief last week. The agency has struggled to contain fare evaders and is studying ways to make it harder to enter a station without paying.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
A couple of brave, concealed carry, Americans could have stopped these robberies and at the same time, "thinned out the heard".

Last edited by Caller Bob on Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Everyone is entitled to your iPhone .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:40 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Everyone is entitled to your iPhone .

BRICK wrote:
Military members are entitled to your iPhone, and all other valuables.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I use Bart going from SFO to downtown San Fran. I have never understood with the housing crunch in Silicon Valley why Oakland is still so crappy. My understanding is that it is largely rundown everywhere in Oakland, but I don't know that for a fact.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Good thing I only live in states where I have my CCW. I have 17 9x19 parabellum rounds in my Glock at all times.

I'm 99% sure I'll never use it let alone take it out of the holster, but it's good to have.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:48 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Good thing I only live in states where I have my CCW. I have 17 9x19 parabellum rounds in my Glock at all times.

I'm 99% sure I'll never use it let alone take it out of the holster, but it's good to have.

Would you have taken it out in this situation?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:49 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

yes I would. If anyone wants to mug me, they are going to either run or have a 9mm hole

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
denisdman wrote:
I use Bart going from SFO to downtown San Fran. I have never understood with the housing crunch in Silicon Valley why Oakland is still so crappy. My understanding is that it is largely rundown everywhere in Oakland, but I don't know that for a fact.

That's not true. Oakland is getting very expensive. It's going to be like Brooklyn.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

yes I would. If anyone wants to mug me, they are going to either run or have a 9mm hole

Just what we need. Dirty Harry wannabes running around everywhere with a gun because someone wants their wallet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:58 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Just what we need. Dirty Harry wannabes running around everywhere with a gun because someone wants their wallet.

This liberal pacifism makes me want to vomit. So, we just have to accept young thugs running around taking our wallets? That's your solution?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:59 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I have proper training to use it courtesy of the IDF. What's the point in possessing a firearm if I'm not going to use it to protect myself or my property?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:00 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

This liberal pacifism makes me want to vomit. So, we just have to accept young thugs running around taking our wallets? That's your solution?

Just taser them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:03 pm 

A kill is better. You don't want them as a witness in court when BLM sues.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Caller Bob wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Yes. I own firearms. I don't carry them because I'm not afraid of my shadow. Purely a recreational pursuit. My phone or wallet is not worth escalating an already shit situation.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

At some level, arguing that someone shouldn't defend their property to some certain degree is likewise arguing the inverse: that people have a right to your property to a certain degree. There's no escaping that, it's just about setting reasonable limits.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Zoli's
Kirkwood wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Yes. I own firearms. I don't carry them because I'm not afraid of my shadow. Purely a recreational pursuit. My phone or wallet is not worth escalating an already shit situation.

Guns have their uses. Idiots with guns make me nervous.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
When discussing property like that it is fitting this is the Bay Area. Their rep Pelosi said this week that borders are immoral. So why not your property as well?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

pittmike wrote:
Their rep Pelosi said this week that borders are immoral.

That may be true in theory, but does anyone really think "One World" is actually possible? And where does tribalism end? I assume it's somewhere before you give others the same considerations you give your own children.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

That's not true. Oakland is getting very expensive. It's going to be like Brooklyn.

Well, I'll ask our folks out there. My understanding is that Oakland has not been redeveloped much at all. But it probably should be.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Well, I'll ask our folks out there. My understanding is that Oakland has not been redeveloped much at all. But it probably should be.

I'm sure there's still some dicey neighborhoods but it's rapidly gentrifying.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:29 pm 

Is Bub Rub still patrolling the streets?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
good dolphin wrote:

:lol: and lil sis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Bagels wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

:lol: and lil sis

WOO-WOOOOOOOOOOO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:38 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:

I've seen enough movies to know not to mug Charles Bronson.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:50 pm 

:lol: :lol: Yep have to protect the minors right to privacy

“We are in the process of pulling all surveillance video, and we will share with Oakland police, Oakland Unified School District and Oakland Housing Authority to see if they can help identify the minors,” Trost said. “We have had success with sharing images of juveniles with this group and identifying and making arrests in the past.”The images cannot be shared publicly, she said, because the attackers appear to be minors.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
badrogue17 wrote:

better to just empty out a clip instead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:01 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:

“We are in the process of pulling all surveillance video, and we will share with Oakland police, Oakland Unified School District and Oakland Housing Authority to see if they can help identify the minors,” Trost said. “We have had success with sharing images of juveniles with this group and identifying and making arrests in the past.”The images cannot be shared publicly, she said, because the attackers appear to be minors.

Do you understand why names of minors are not released or are you just doing a bit?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:07 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Do you understand why names of minors are not released or are you just doing a bit?

You worried about the cops yanking you out of class or something?