It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Regular Reader wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
denisdman wrote:
I could honestly deal with this messed up system since it does have benefits. What I have come to realize though, is no matter how much the government takes, it can never get enough.

Illinois:
$10B behind on its bills
$110B in underfunded pensions
$35B in debt.
Ongoing annual budget deficit
Highest sales and second highest property taxes in the nation.

Federal Government:
Nearly $20T in debt
Somewhere between $50-$75T in unfunded healthcare, pension and social security liabilities
Highest corporate tax rate in the developed world
15.3% of all income goes into Medicare and Social Security on top of income taxes
Marginal income tax rates on the rich at nearly 40%.
Hey, but we don't have a VAT tax!

The state and country is broke. Meaning, they need a lot more tax revenue to pay for all the stuff we get and have been getting. And I wonder who on this board feels like they don't pay enough in property taxes, license plate fees, sales taxes, payroll taxes, etc, etc?

Of course if we did the logical thing and sliced the military budget by 1/3rd, the CNBC crowd would be hysterical. An the fear mongering by MANY would be off the charts. And the welfare :wink: states would secede, again.

If we cut the military by 1/3rd democrats would lose their shit as much as republicans. Which is a pretty good sign it's a good idea.

See on politics and the military I CAN agree with a libertarian!

Come on over to our side. We have home distilled liquor!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Donati's
At 77 percent of gross domestic product (GDP),
federal debt held by the public is now at its highest level
since shortly after World War II. If current laws generally
remained unchanged, the Congressional Budget Office
projects, growing budget deficits would boost that debt
sharply over the next 30 years; it would reach 150 percent
of GDP in 2047. The prospect of such large and growing
debt poses substantial risks for the nation an

https://www.cbo.gov/system/files/115th- ... 0-ltbo.pdf

= massive credit liquidation cycle looming.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:14 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
denisdman wrote:
It's a big reason I became a Ron Paul Republican. When I read about the extent of our military bases overseas and looked at our spending (higher than the next 10 biggest spenders combined), it is simply outrageous how much is being dumped on military. And we seem to be the world's biggest agitator.....

Our foreign policy breeds blowback. I don't think that's an extreme position to take.

But most voters(and media members) can't seem to even consider it. Ike's "complex" is close to a complete win, if it's not already a final.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:18 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
denisdman wrote:
It's a big reason I became a Ron Paul Republican. When I read about the extent of our military bases overseas and looked at our spending (higher than the next 10 biggest spenders combined), it is simply outrageous how much is being dumped on military. And we seem to be the world's biggest agitator.....

Our foreign policy breeds blowback. I don't think that's an extreme position to take.

But most voters(and media members) can't seem to even consider it. Ike's "complex" is close to a complete win, if it's not already a final.

The reason for that is multitude. To some it is "unpatriotic," to others it is dishonoring the victims.

The fact is it is a reality. I don't think you have Al Qaeda and the 9/11 attacks without our foreign policy of intruding in the internal affairs other nations where we have no business.

I can safely say the Ayatollahs aren't ruling Iran today if we and the Brits didn't overthrow Mossadegh. Al Qaeda and ISIS aren't here if we don't arm and organize the mujahadeen in the 80s.

The victims of 9/11 certainly didn't deserve to die, but I don't think it's a stretch to say it was a ripple effect of decades of foreign intervention.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:18 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Come on over to our side. We have home distilled liquor!

Hell, I remember being somewhat comfortable with John Anderson wayback when :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
denisdman wrote:

I've said this before but one of the first things that really disgusted me about government spending is when I finished basic training and got down to Ft Polk. We had 20,000+ soldiers who all had their own M16 issued to them fucking around and playing Xbox in the barracks. Meanwhile, they had a private contract company guard the gates of the post. Our barracks were also filled with electricians, plumbers, and carpenters, and all work on the barracks was contracted out as well.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:21 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
denisdman wrote:

The reason for that is multitude. To some it is "unpatriotic," to others it is dishonoring the victims.

The fact is it is a reality. I don't think you have Al Qaeda and the 9/11 attacks without our foreign policy of intruding in the internal affairs other nations where we have no business.

I can safely say the Ayatollahs aren't ruling Iran today if we and the Brits didn't overthrow Mossadegh. Al Qaeda and ISIS aren't here if we don't arm the mujahadeen.

The victims of 9/11 certainly didn't deserve to die, but I don't think it's a stretch to say it was a ripple effect of decades of foreign intervention.

You're about to get lumped in with Nas, Ltg, myself, Don, Chus, Kirkwood, Midget and the other fellow travelers (as viewed by some) :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Military spending is about 16% of fed budget. As we used to say back in grade school "big whoop."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:41 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Military spending is about 16% of fed budget. As we used to say back in grade school "big whoop."

That's a lot more than a big whoop, especially if you look at it as a % of discretionary spending or put our % of budget or % of GDP next to what any other nation spends. To be in line with our European allies, we should be spending less than 1/2 of what we currently spend on our military.

I would argue it should be even less than that even. We have 2 giant oceans, Canada to our North, and Mexico to our South. I'd say so long as we don't enter any wars we don't belong in, we have no real existential threat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:51 pm 

If you whacked the military budget by half, we'd still have an annual deficit. If you eliminated the military altogether it would take like 25 years to equal our national debt.

cut the military fine, but that isn't going to solve the problem by itself. not by a long shot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hatchetman wrote:
If you whacked the military budget by half, we'd still have an annual deficit. If you eliminated the military altogether it would take like 25 years to equal our national debt.

cut the military fine, but that isn't going to solve the problem by itself. not by a long shot.

:lol:

That's like telling someone not to apply pressure to a gunshot wound because it won't heal the wound by itself. It's a pretty fuckin good start though.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Al Qaeda and ISIS aren't here if we don't arm and organize the mujahadeen in the 80s.

What the fuck! Are you some kind of Russian agent like Mike Flynn?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:17 pm 

ok we can cut the military but not the nuclear subs. those are cool.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I vascillate between Hatchetman being some sort of genius savant or functionally retarded.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:21 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
I vascillate between Hatchetman being some sort of genius savant or functionally retarded.

I would definitely lean toward the latter.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
leashyourkids wrote:

he takes good photos, though

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
FavreFan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

:lol:

That's like telling someone not to apply pressure to a gunshot wound because it won't heal the wound by itself. It's a pretty fuckin good start though.

Or the argument made the other day about legalizing weed:

Quote:
The gov't is just going to blow the tax revenue anyway, so why bother?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5