It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
You're last two posts are just trolling me Ruffy. Why don't you just post a picture of a large breasted woman?

pizza_Place: Pequods
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Not to give Jorr too much credit, but most of these atrocities discussed in this thread are a direct result of: private ownership of land and accumulation of vast wealth.

I'd argue they are actions of the state or state sanctioned. With the Indians it was the state as it was generally the army performing the massacres, Trail of Tears, etc.

Slavery had next to nothing to do with the state. And the Trail of Tears was people wanting land. Slavery has been around since before the concept of the state. It's the result of greed, which many Libertarians claim either does not exist or is a positive trait.

I don't think there is anything more anti-Libertarian than a person being born into or taken by force into the service of another.

Hey, go ahead and keep commenting upon an ideology you know nothing about

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Not to give Jorr too much credit, but most of these atrocities discussed in this thread are a direct result of: private ownership of land and accumulation of vast wealth.

I'd argue they are actions of the state or state sanctioned. With the Indians it was the state as it was generally the army performing the massacres, Trail of Tears, etc.

Slavery had next to nothing to do with the state. And the Trail of Tears was people wanting land. Slavery has been around since before the concept of the state. It's the result of greed, which many Libertarians claim either does not exist or is a positive trait.

It's impossible for slavery to predate the concept of the state, and slavery in America literally had everything to do with the state. It cannot be separated from it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
To the title...

In general, agreed.

On this board, agree to disagree.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:02 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
To the title...

In general, agreed.

:lol:

Well yeah, KD isn't that bad. There aren't any other SJWs on here.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I don't think there is anything more anti-Libertarian than a person being born into or taken by force into the service of another.

I never stated that Libertarians support slavery. Do you deny either claim about greed though?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
To the title...

In general, agreed.

Waiting for Ruffcorn is actually Julie DiCaro.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
To the title...

In general, agreed.

That's because nobody's talked about pink being a girl's color lately. Well HG did, but it's his schtick.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:05 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Hah, he hooked you. Of course, no Libertarian would agree to force another to work for free. That sounds a lot closer to a statist/communist argument. Libertarians want people to pursue their own interests (detractors use the word greed) and enjoy the fruits of their labor.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:06 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

It's impossible for slavery to predate the concept of the state, and slavery in America literally had everything to do with the state. It cannot be separated from it.

How is that impossible? It was an established institution in the earliest written histories. Thus it would have to pre-date it.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:07 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

How is that impossible? It was an established institution in the earliest written histories. Thus it would have to pre-date it.

How so? The concept of the state predates written history. In order to have slavery you first need to have the concept of a person or group of people wanting to control how the rest of their group lived.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
you don't need a state to have slaves.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:10 pm 

Do you deny either claim about greed though?

Call it greed if you want to put a negative connotation around it. But the fact of the matter is that all humans pursue their own best interests. Libertarians use that basic human force of nature in a way that maximizes economic output and freedom. And sure a lot of folks don't care about either of those concepts. They prefer something closer to equality of outcomes, which by design takes away from productive and gives to the unproductive. Nothing wrong with believing that to be a better way, but it's not what I want or believe. And of course, we need to land somewhere in the middle.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:11 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

Give him a pass. He hasn't finished that Harper High education yet. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:11 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
you don't need a state to have slaves.

Beardown's basement is a prime example.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:12 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
How so? The concept of the state predates written history. In order to have slavery you first need to have the concept of a person or group of people wanting to control how the rest of their group lived.

So the state was actually the first SJW then.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
denisdman wrote:
You're last two posts are just trolling me Ruffy. Why don't you just post a picture of a large breasted woman?

An unexpected relevance in Trump's America. Chilling. I'm literally shaking.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I never stated that Libertarians support slavery. Do you deny either claim about greed though?

Is it greedy to hold the belief that you are entitled to the fruits of your own labor?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:14 pm 

God bless you Jorr.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:15 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

That makes no sense. Humans controlling others means they understand the concept of the state? Nederthals were in tribes essentially and would steal females. I would consider this a form of slavery. And if that's a state then it means any pack animal understands the concept of the state.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:17 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Is it greedy to hold the belief that you are entitled to the fruits of your own labor?

Was it the fruits of their own labor that plantation owners were enjoying? Did the state order then to obtain as much wealth as they policy could?

The Missing Link wrote:

Last edited by WaitingforRuffcorn on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:20 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Hah, he hooked you. Of course, no Libertarian would agree to force another to work for free. That sounds a lot closer to a statist/communist argument. Libertarians want people to pursue their own interests (detractors use the word greed) and enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Working for free is not a communist idea. Communism is supposed to be a revolution against the concept of materialism. This is not to say that terrible crimes were not committed in the name of communism, or that communism described by Marx has ever been attempted.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:22 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

That makes no sense. Humans controlling others means they understand the concept of the state? Nederthals were in tribes essentially and would steal females. I would consider this a form of slavery. And if that's a state then it means any pack animal understands the concept of the state.

Its useless comparing our brains to pack animals because we're just veering way off topic at that point. But the concept of the state is really just a person or group of people controlling how a larger group of people lives.

But back to the original point, of course slavery in America specifically had almost everything to do with the state. It would have been impossible to be practiced as it was without the government specifically facilitating it. It's crazy to say they had nothing to do with it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
FavreFan wrote:
It still sort of baffles me that so many on the left don't understand the damage their attitudes are doing to their cause. This shit is a lot more detrimental to the country long term than Trump and/or the alt right.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... urce=atlfb

“I never voiced my personal disagreements because having dissenting views is strictly forbidden in the activist circles I was a part of,” he explained. “If you’re white, you will be charged with being a ‘bad ally.’ (There's also certain gatherings you cannot come to because your mere presence might be threatening.) If you’re a person of color, your disagreements will usually be dismissed as some form of ‘internalized racism,’ ‘internalized sexism,’ or ‘respectability politics,’ among many other activist jargon's thrown at individuals who do not conform the groups views.”

Eventually, he started to speak up anyway, he said.

“On Twitter,” he wrote, “I discussed how trigger warnings have almost been rendered useless now that they’re used to alert individuals when talking about normal everyday things, like food, cars and animals. And that their use could potentially have adverse effects on academic freedom. I was accused of being outrageously insensitive and apparently made three activist cohorts have traumatic breakdowns.

“In another tweet,” he added, “I criticized the usual tactic of campus activists to disrupt and heckle controversial speakers and advised them to raise their strong objections during the question and answer session, which lectures usually reserve long hours precisely to debate opponents. This time, the attacks got a little more personal. I was accused of being a ‘respectable negro,’ ‘uncle tom,’ ‘local coon’ and defending university officials to continue to ‘systemically oppress minorities.’”

He says he was ultimately kicked out of student-led social justice groups.

These kids are insane, and I'm more than a little concerned about the fascist state the seem intent on creating.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:25 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Its useless comparing our brains to pack animals because we're just veering way off topic at that point. But the concept of the state is really just a person or group of people controlling how a larger group of people lives.

But back to the original point, of course slavery in America specifically had almost everything to do with the state. It would have been impossible to be practiced as it was without the government specifically facilitating it. It's crazy to say they had nothing to do with it.

Slavery predated the government. And it took the government to end the practice. If the South had left the evil state, then slavery would have continued. The only reason that slavery ended was because we agreed to have a state that existed based on certain laws.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:27 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

Slavery predated the government. And it took the government to end the practice. If the South had left the evil state, then slavery would have continued. The only reason that slavery ended was because we agreed to have a state that existed based on certain laws.

:lol: :lol:

Government's like alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:

This is an interesting conversation. You're both making decent arguments. I think we're a lot more like a pack of animals than we like to believe. I do agree with your second sentence here.

There's obviously greed coded deep within human DNA. Otherwise why would a person who had $200 million try to make $300 million?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Otherwise why would a person who had $200 million try to make $300 million?

unloved as a child.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:33 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

This is an interesting conversation. You're both making decent arguments. I think we're a lot more like a pack of animals than we like to believe. I do agree with your second sentence here.

There's obviously greed coded deep within human DNA. Otherwise why would a person who had $200 million try to make $300 million?

This is interesting, and it leads me to believe that we lack free will for many if not all of our actions. If you hold the door open for someone are you doing it for their benefit or because you want to gain favor with them?

On another topic, when we declare that the state is a desire to control someone else- isn't money defined that way.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:37 pm 

Money is not defined that way at all. It is simply a way to transact business because bartering is totally inefficient.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next