It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
I agree more with Denis' philosophy after buying a kick ass mansion in Batavia.

:D

That's not the correct town. You make me sound like Scorehead.

I was trying to respect your privacy, Leash YourKids.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
denisdman wrote:
Sleepy Hollow? God the Jorr myths about me persist! I don't live in Sleepy Hollow. :)

Ruff, I only identify as a Libertarian because the modern Republican party no longer believes in small government and fiscal restrain. I believe in representative, limit government. I am also a huge fan of federalism, which serves this country well.

The rightful role of the Federal Government is the regulation of interstate commerce, control of a common currency, negotiation with foreign countries on treaties, and protection of the country. Most other functions are rightly reserved for state and local bodies. Now we are so far down the path of a large Federal Government and all its perverse functions, that folks like yourself cannot imagine a world without a nanny state. That's fine. My line of thinking has lost. I fully admit that.

You are correct that many theoretical parts of Libertarians cannot work in practice. Externalities like pollution can not be properly priced and thus need to be regulated and controlled.

Now I have answered all your inquiries of me. If you have more, I am sorry but I am done being trolled about this stuff.

I'm not trying to troll you. My premise is that Libertarians like use singular causation theory and blame every ill on the government. I think Libertarianism has some good ideas, especially on not keeping people in cages because they broke some law that people arbitrarily wrote. I do think it's harsh to point at people an say nanny state takers if they need assistance.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:56 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
denisdman wrote:
Not a fair return- Approximately 40% of my earnings goes to the government. In return, I have crowded roads, airports, and an outdated Metra system. My local school district is poor quality. State universities are charging ridiculous amounts of money to students. The Medicare and Social Security system which I paid into will be insolvent before I get there.

Yeah, it sucks, which is why people who make way more money than you do should pay more.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:00 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
I agree more with Denis' philosophy the older I get.

Didn't you support Bernie Sanders a year ago? "The older you get," damn, more like Chicago Progerics Message Board.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Curious Hair wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Not a fair return- Approximately 40% of my earnings goes to the government. In return, I have crowded roads, airports, and an outdated Metra system. My local school district is poor quality. State universities are charging ridiculous amounts of money to students. The Medicare and Social Security system which I paid into will be insolvent before I get there.

Yeah, it sucks, which is why people who make way more money than you do should pay more.

In my mind, no person should have to give up that percentage of their income to a government. It is someone's lawful earnings, and frankly, so much of it is being wasted on debt interest payments, a broken health care system, and crazy military endeavors.

But again, my "side" has lost the argument. You have people in CA and NY paying over 50% of their incomes in local, state, and federal income taxes. I believe CA's top rate is 13%. The only thing that holds Illinois back is that flat tax constitutional rule. And we had a 90% federal income rate in this country for quite a while. It's never enough for certain politicians.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:07 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Didn't you support Bernie Sanders a year ago? "The older you get," damn, more like Chicago Progerics Message Board.

I would still support him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:23 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Fair enough. I'm no Marxist, but I do think we need a severe market correction in the form of social democracy to counteract the years of Goldwaterism and neoliberalism that have been so terrible for a lot of people. The Republican Party was fine when it was just Dwight Eisenhower and stuffy Yankees.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:27 pm 

I read David Stockman's, The Great Deformation. He literally ripped every President since FDR for so many terrible fiscal decisions. I was amazed at how many mistakes FDR made. In any case, the only President that he had good thoughts about was Ike. Apparently, post WW2 and Korean War, Ike would not cut tax rates until the debt was paid down significantly and spending cuts were enacted. He was true to fiscal balance.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
These people are self contained and really only thrive in the narrow world of internet outrage. More people hate them than like them and their day of reckoning for this shit is fast approaching.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
denisdman wrote:
I read David Stockman's, The Great Deformation. He literally ripped every President since FDR for so many terrible fiscal decisions. I was amazed at how many mistakes FDR made. In any case, the only President that he had good thoughts about was Ike. Apparently, post WW2 and Korean War, Ike would not cut tax rates until the debt was paid down significantly and spending cuts were enacted. He was true to fiscal balance.

Yeah but the answer to inefficiency in government is obviously to expand the government. :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:30 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Fair enough. I'm no Marxist, but I do think we need a severe market correction in the form of social democracy to counteract the years of Goldwaterism and neoliberalism that have been so terrible for a lot of people. The Republican Party was fine when it was just Dwight Eisenhower and stuffy Yankees.

Bernie was more about a message to me. I didn't agree with all of his policies, but he is an honest man who preached what he thought was right. It's what Rick could never understand about my liking him.

I also agree completely that concentrated wealth is a tremendous problem. I just don't know anymore if government will ever be in a position to fix it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:30 pm 

America wrote:
These people are self contained and really only thrive in the narrow world of internet outrage.

Irony.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:33 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Yeah but the answer to inefficiency in government is obviously to expand the government. :lol:

Stockman's book was really about the underlying dynamics of how money is created and expanded, i.e. things like Fed policy. A lot of his points had to do with FDR and Nixon screwing up the gold standard. For all its flaws, the gold standard forces a country to live within its mean in term of trade and budget deficits.

But yes, Stockman held Ike in high regard because he was true to the old Republican idea that revenue and expenses must match.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:35 pm 

denisdman wrote:

Ike was the right guy for the right time and made a lot of sensible decisions while being about the best New Deal Republican there could be, which of course gave rise to the Goldwater wing. He certainly did a lot better than Joe Kennedy's second-favorite son, who almost got the whole world blown up in trying to prove he was tough.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
America wrote:
These people are self contained and really only thrive in the narrow world of internet outrage. More people hate them than like them and their day of reckoning for this shit is fast approaching.

Day of reckoning? As you stated, they live in a narrow echo chamber. No one cares what SJW or anti-SJW warriors say. They're both lunatics.

It's best to let them stay occupied in their sandbox in the corner.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:39 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Ike was the right guy for the right time and made a lot of sensible decisions while being about the best New Deal Republican there could be, which of course gave rise to the Goldwater wing. He certainly did a lot better than Joe Kennedy's second-favorite son, who almost got the whole world blown up in trying to prove he was tough.

I don't know much about him and his policies. But when I read his philosophy on fiscal discipline, well that was in my wheelhouse. So many of the country's issues could be solved if we enforced true fiscal discipline, by which, we have to prioritize scarce resources. Trump's tax plan is a perfect example. Well, you want to take away revenues, then you either have to raise them else where or cut costs. We keep pretending like money printing is a normal.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
both parties were wooing Ike to run for president. he was undecided or said he was. he had no patience for isolationists or McCarthyism amongst the republicans. there was an old letter in his military file written by Ike saying he wanted to divorce his wife and marry this hot number in England. I think it was Gen Marshall told him hell no. well, several years later one of the dem higher ups, govner of NY or something got ahold of that letter and let Ike now it. Ike lost his shit and cut off Truman and the Dems and went for the republicans. I believe Truman then got that letter and made it disappear. Not sure why Ike held a grudge against Truman anyway. It was out of character for him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
denisdman wrote:
In my mind, no person should have to give up that percentage of their income to a government. It is someone's lawful earnings...

The only thing that makes it "lawful" is the government you don't want to give it to.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:46 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
denisdman wrote:

You don't think that something worse wouldn't have happened had Nixon been in the White House? Ike did a lot of good things, but it would have been nice had he done something about the military industrial complex while in office, instead of saying it was bad when he left. Bay of Pigs was almost an Eisenhower initiative. I think we are lucky JFK was the president during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Very lucky.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:47 pm 

a man shouldn't have to give up more than 49% of his income to the gov't. I don't care how much he makes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hatchetman wrote:
a man shouldn't have to give up more than 49% of his income to the gov't. I don't care how much he makes.

How did you arrive at 49%?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:50 pm 

because he should get at least more than the guvment.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:53 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
America wrote:
These people are self contained and really only thrive in the narrow world of internet outrage.

Irony.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:57 pm 

I could honestly deal with this messed up system since it does have benefits. What I have come to realize though, is no matter how much the government takes, it can never get enough.

Illinois:
$10B behind on its bills
$110B in underfunded pensions
$35B in debt.
Ongoing annual budget deficit
Highest sales and second highest property taxes in the nation.

Federal Government:
Nearly $20T in debt
Somewhere between $50-$75T in unfunded healthcare, pension and social security liabilities
Highest corporate tax rate in the developed world
15.3% of all income goes into Medicare and Social Security on top of income taxes
Marginal income tax rates on the rich at nearly 40%.
Hey, but we don't have a VAT tax!

The state and country is broke. Meaning, they need a lot more tax revenue to pay for all the stuff we get and have been getting. And I wonder who on this board feels like they don't pay enough in property taxes, license plate fees, sales taxes, payroll taxes, etc, etc?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:03 pm 

denisdman wrote:
I could honestly deal with this messed up system since it does have benefits. What I have come to realize though, is no matter how much the government takes, it can never get enough.

Illinois:
$10B behind on its bills
$35B in debt.

Federal Government:
Nearly $20T in debt
Somewhere between $50-$75T in unfunded healthcare, pension and social security liabilities
15.3% of all income goes into Medicare and Social Security on top of income taxes

The state and country is broke. Meaning, they need a lot more tax revenue to pay for all the stuff we get and have been getting. And I wonder who on this board feels like they don't pay enough in property taxes, license plate fees, sales taxes, payroll taxes, etc, etc?

Of course if we did the logical thing and sliced the military budget by 1/3rd, the CNBC crowd would be hysterical. An the fear mongering by MANY would be off the charts. And the welfare :wink: states would secede, again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:05 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Illinois:
$10B behind on its bills
$35B in debt.

Federal Government:
Nearly $20T in debt

Of course if we did the logical thing and sliced the military budget by 1/3rd, the CNBC crowd would be hysterical. An the fear mongering by MANY would be off the charts. And the welfare :wink: states would secede, again.

If we cut the military by 1/3rd democrats would lose their shit as much as republicans. Which is a pretty good sign it's a good idea.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:07 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Illinois:
$10B behind on its bills
$35B in debt.

Federal Government:
Nearly $20T in debt

If we cut the military by 1/3rd democrats would lose their shit as much as republicans. Which is a pretty good sign it's a good idea.

See on politics and the military I CAN agree with a libertarian!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:08 pm 

It's a big reason I became a Ron Paul Republican. When I read about the extent of our military bases overseas and looked at our spending (higher than the next 10 biggest spenders combined), it is simply outrageous how much is being dumped on military. And we seem to be the world's biggest agitator.....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
denisdman wrote:
It's a big reason I became a Ron Paul Republican. When I read about the extent of our military bases overseas and looked at our spending (higher than the next 10 biggest spenders combined), it is simply outrageous how much is being dumped on military. And we seem to be the world's biggest agitator.....

Our foreign policy breeds blowback. I don't think that's an extreme position to take.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:11 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Illinois:
$10B behind on its bills
$35B in debt.

Federal Government:
Nearly $20T in debt

See on politics and the military I CAN agree with a libertarian!

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next