It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Well, we're fucked now.

https://www.treehugger.com/natural-sciences/escaped-pet-birds-are-teaching-wild-birds-to-speak-english.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Species appropriation.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:29 pm 

are they teaching them the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Most species of parrot are smart-asses, but cockatoos tend to be the biggest smart-asses, so the natural world will get a little more disrespectful and silly. I think escaped macaws in Mexico have been caught teaching wild macaws Spanish (though they really should be speaking English; I get the pride thing, but be practical).

Birds are hilarious.

Speaking of that, International Bird Migration Day is almost upon us. (It's next Saturday.) You should see some cool ones over the next week or so passing through. For example, this little guy comes to visit for a week in autumn and a week in spring:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:59 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOXgjBUFB7s

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:27 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Maybe one of them can teach David Schuster to pronounce the "r" in "every."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:26 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOXgjBUFB7s

that was hysterical! at bird-tagging day at the forest preserves, i let one go...but he stayed and chilled out on my hand for twenty seconds before leaving.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
We're fucked, Part Two:

https://qz.com/1077632/octlantis-is-a-just-discovered-underwater-city-engineered-by-octopuses/

Octlantis is a just-discovered underwater city engineered by octopuses

Gloomy octopuses—also known as common Sydney octopuses, or octopus tetricus—have long had a reputation for being loners. Marine biologists once thought they inhabited the subtropical waters off eastern Australia and northern New Zealand in solitude, meeting only to mate, once a year. But now there’s proof these cephalopods sometimes hang out in small cities.
Gloomy octopus of Octlantis.

In Jervis Bay, off Eastern Australia, researchers recently spotted 15 gloomy octopuses congregating, communicating, dwelling together, and even evicting each other from dens at a site the scientists named “Octlantis.” The international team of marine biologists, led by professor David Scheel of Alaska Pacific University, filmed these creatures exhibiting complex social behaviors that contradict the received wisdom that these cephalopods are loners. Their study was published in the journal Marine and Freshwater Behavior and Physiology

The discovery was a surprise, Scheel told Quartz. “These behaviors are the product of natural selection, and may be remarkably similar to vertebrate complex social behavior. This suggests that when the right conditions occur, evolution may produce very similar outcomes in diverse groups of organisms.”

It’s not yet clear what led to the creation of Octlantis or if these sorts of congregations are common.
At least one other gloomy octopus site was found recently, though; it was discovered in 2009, not far away in Jervis Bay, and named Octopolis. At that time it was considered a total anomaly. Researchers believed that the cephalopods gathered there because an unidentifiable human object happened to have formed a central point that the cephalopods surrounded with dens. The unknown artifact was a single object about 30 cm long, heavily encrusted, possibly made of metal. The site has been observed for seven years now, and at any given time, there are somewhere between two and 16 octopuses there,

In Octlantis, however, there is no similarly mystifying human object to explain the gloomy octopus congregation.
The likely explanation, said Stephanie Chancellor, a study co-author and doctoral student in biological sciences at the University of Illinois-Chicago, in a statement, is that in both Octopolis and Octlantis there were several seafloor rock outcroppings dotting otherwise flat and featureless areas. “In addition to the rock outcroppings, octopuses who had been inhabiting the area had built up piles of shells left over from creatures they ate, most notably clams and scallops. These shell piles, or middens, were further sculpted to create dens, making these octopuses true environmental engineers,” she said.

Like any urban environment, Otocopolis and Octlantis can be tough places to live. Citizens must be scrappy. The company and food are abundant but all the activity in the cities also attracts predators, including sharks.
There’s also a lot of aggression apparently, although the researchers can’t yet explain why. Gloomy octopus males seem to spend a great deal of time chasing each other out of dens. Scheel is hesitant to speculate about what exactly this behavior means. “We are still studying this,” he said.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Trumps next order of business will be to send the birds to mexico.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:24 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
We're fucked, Part Two:

https://qz.com/1077632/octlantis-is-a-just-discovered-underwater-city-engineered-by-octopuses/

That was really cool to read . . . octopuses (and cuttlefish), like birds, strike me as being smart-asses. I also wonder if Stephanie Chancellor is hot--she sounds kinda hot.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:26 pm 

Yet immigrants won't speak American!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
tommy wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
We're fucked, Part Two:

That was really cool to read . . . octopuses (and cuttlefish), like birds, strike me as being smart-asses. I also wonder if Stephanie Chancellor is hot--she sounds kinda hot.

Tommy.. I'm sensing a pattern with you and women :lol: :lol: but I agree on both birds and cuttlefish and that if the picture matches the name that would be a good thing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:32 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
tommy wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
We're fucked, Part Two:

Tommy.. I'm sensing a pattern with you and women :lol: :lol: but I agree on both birds and cuttlefish and that if the picture matches the name that would be a good thing.

With a name like that, she's gotta at least have those days where you're like, "Damn . . ." In any case, sounds like her career just got a boost. Good for her.