It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:33 am 

pizza_Place: John's
He was spot on last night. Great show.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:48 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Caller Bob wrote:

He was right. If a Muslim did this our country would have sprang into action and came up with hundreds of solutions to try to prevent/make it harder for this to happen again. Nothing we can do now and no real outrage.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nas wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

He was right. If a Muslim did this our country would have sprang into action and came up with hundreds of solutions to try to prevent/make it harder for this to happen again. Nothing we can do now and no real outrage.

A Muslim did do it in Orlando last year.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:07 am 
100000 CLUB

badrogue17 wrote:
Nas wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

We wanted to ban Muslims then and arrest his father. I'm not a round up all the guns type of guy and there isn't a magic solution that will prevent all future mass shootings but to continually do nothing after kids and dozens of adults are slaughtered every year doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:09 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
He always appears genuine, but there's a small part of me that wonders if it's for show. Hard not to at least wonder.

Still, his comments were spot on and reflective of the frustration I think many people feel.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:09 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nas wrote:
I'm not a round up all the guns type of guy and there isn't a magic solution that will prevent all future mass shootings but to continually do nothing after kids and dozens of adults are slaughtered every year doesn't make sense.

Okay, so what do you want to do?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Everyone wants to do something about everything as if they have no knowledge on the history of civilization.

We're fucked. Do a shot and go watch MLBClassics on YouTube.

Accepting that your voice and life do not matter is quite liberating.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:20 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
I'm not a round up all the guns type of guy and there isn't a magic solution that will prevent all future mass shootings but to continually do nothing after kids and dozens of adults are slaughtered every year doesn't make sense.

You know, when we start seeing a streak of mass murders involving weapons bought on the black market, then I will throw my hands up in the air and say their is nothing we can do...but every shooting after shooting eventually reveals they were with assault weapons purchased legally...but I know these Low T guys love their guns...so if 20 dead kids in Sandy Hook didn't change anything...this sure isn't.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Hockey Gay wrote:
Everyone wants to do something about everything as if they have no knowledge on the history of civilization.

We're fucked. Do a shot and go watch MLBClassics on YouTube.

Accepting that your voice and life do not matter is quite liberating.

:lol: I don't agree, but there is at least a hint of truth in there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Kimmel is such a giant pussy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

You know, when we start seeing a streak of mass murders involving weapons bought on the black market, then I will throw my hands up in the air and say their is nothing we can do...but every shooting after shooting eventually reveals they were with assault weapons purchased legally...but I know these Low T guys love their guns...so if 20 dead kids in Sandy Hook didn't change anything...this sure isn't.

Wasn't the weapon he used illegal?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:38 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

Wasn't the weapon he used illegal?

To be determined I guess. If he was loaded he could have had the 20K to purchase a legal auto. If not he did an illegal modification of an AR-15 or something similar. I could suggest banning items like AR-15's, which are designed to be one hack away from fully auto, but I know I will throw the Low-T guys up into another shit storm.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:40 am 

I understand the emotion involved by those who find these things detestable (and in some ways I sort of agree), but take a step back and look at what your prescriptions are. You're just using vague statements about gun control. Most of this stuff is already illegal. America's gun problem is more related to a culture of guns than it is any laws or lack of laws. I don't think there's any way to legislate out of this.

The common answer I hear is "Well, we have to do something!" But that's not a rational argument. We in fact don't have to do something, but even if we do, what is it exactly that you'd like to do?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:45 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
I understand the emotion involved by those who find these things detestable (and in some ways I sort of agree), but take a step back and look at what your prescriptions are. You're just using vague statements about gun control. Most of this stuff is already illegal. America's gun problem is more related to a culture of guns than it is any laws or lack of laws. I don't think there's any way to legislate out of this.

The common answer I hear is "Well, we have to do something!" But that's not a rational argument. We in fact don't have to do something, but even if we do, what is it exactly that you'd like to do?

I would like to start closing the loopholes on all the Semi-Automatics and accessories...bump stocks, large clips..etc. Are people going to get it anyway on the black market? Yes. But all these mass shootings are starting to fit a pattern. The crazy introvert. And the crazy introvert doesn't not have the social connections to make black market connections..it seems.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
All this talk about guns is making me interested in guns. My wife won't let me have one though. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:57 am 
1000 CLUB

leashyourkids wrote:

What's irrational about it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:00 am 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Absolutely nothing. So I wish people would just be honest and say "Dead kids are an unfortunate cost of my right to own an assault rifle" rather than beat around the bush.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:02 am 

I think I say this every time there is a shooting but we would be much better off banning tobacco than we would any more gun control if the goal is to save lives.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I think I say this every time there is a shooting but we would be much better off banning tobacco than we would any more gun control if the goal is to save lives.

MANY things. Tobacco, sugar, alcohol, cars that go above 35mph, chairs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:04 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Absolutely nothing. So I wish people would just be honest and say "Dead kids are an unfortunate cost of my right to own an assault rifle" rather than beat around the bush.

It's absolutely irrational. You are basically saying we have to do something even if it accomplishes nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:06 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

It's absolutely irrational. You are basically saying we have to do something even if it accomplishes nothing.

I gave tangible examples of things I would like to see done(pipe dream obviously) to keep people from legally obtaining/assembling weapons used in the latest mass shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:07 am 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

Something. I know if I say ban certain weapons or mention background checks MANY will point out that some people bought guns legally and a "bad guy" can find a way to get a gun. There are no perfect solutions to this issue or any other issue. The status quo can't be be the answer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
leashyourkids wrote:

The irrational part is the idea that there is a solution without significant tradeoffs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Terrorism is part and parcel of living in major cities I thought?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:09 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

The irrational part is the idea that there is a solution without significant tradeoffs.

tradeoffs = "Dead kids are an unfortunate cost of my right to own an assault rifle" .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:12 am 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:

Right. In the wake of these incidents it seems like people of a certain political stripe take the occasion to promote their ideological agenda. It doesn't seem like genuine concern so much as an opportunity to paint someone like Darkside, just for example, as a "bad person" for his belief in the Second Amendment. And I say that as someone who really is a neutral observer. I've never had a gun in my home. The right to bear arms is the part of the Bill of Rights I personally care the least about.

Also, you make a good point about the culture. And in this context I don't mean culture as in the stereotype of some Christian from Montana in a cowboy hat. I'm talking much deeper than that. Citizens bearing arms were crucial to the founding of our nation. That's something that is really at the core. I would compare it to why we find the idea of horsemeat objectionable in the U.S. The horse was critical to the expansion and establishment of America. They hanged horse thieves. And though the horse has almost zero importance in modern day America, the vestiges remain and it's not something you want to eat as a steak.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:12 am 
1000 CLUB

Caller Bob wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I gave tangible examples of things I would like to see done(pipe dream obviously) to keep people from legally obtaining/assembling weapons used in the latest mass shooting.

This is what I don't understand about the "irrational" argument. Nobody is saying they aren't aware something would have to be given up. Everyone understands something will have to be sacrificed. What people disagree on is what and how much should be sacrificed.

If anything, what's irrational is the idea that implementing something ridiculous like tougher security screening at hotels or airports without addressing the root cause will actually solve the issue.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:13 am 
100000 CLUB

leashyourkids wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

What has doing nothing accomplished?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Nas wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

What has doing nothing accomplished?

Sometimes doing nothing is better, even with the occasional terrible outcome. Let's ask Mandalay Bay if they would like to install metal detectors for all incoming guests, to prevent something like Sunday night. I'm pretty sure the answer would be no.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
badrogue17 wrote:
Nas wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

But didn't he shoot up a fruity bar? I would suspect that the NRA types might not be entirely vexed about that.

(incidentally, I thought vexed had two X's ... we use a strange language)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next