It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: McMansion Hell
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:08 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Funny little site. Naperville and Algonquin are represented!

As someone who grew up in partial McMansion country (the luxury developments were next to the trailer parks) in the late '90s/early '00s, it's interesting to see how bad all this stuff really was, architecturally speaking. All these little corners and crevasses that exist for no reason at all:

Post subject: Re: McMansion Hell
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I like it. After I get through http://terriblerealestateagentphotos.com/ I'll dig deeper.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Beautiful homes that smell like success.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:32 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Those are both good.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Fake news. no way that is Algonquin. There are only 3 houses listed in Algonquin over $500K.

This is an Algonquin house:

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Algonquin/620 ... e/17793681

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:38 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Those are both good.

so bad they are good. I would go for it!

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:17 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Fake news. no way that is Algonquin. There are only 3 houses listed in Algonquin over $500K.

This is an Algonquin house:

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Algonquin/620 ... e/17793681

Googleimagesearch the first picture. It gives you the address. It's on the border of Algonquin and Barrington Hills.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:52 pm 

that's like the border of Maywood/River Forest.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:56 pm 

found it. right over where I fell through the ice and almost drown.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:57 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

Explains a lot. How long did you not have oxygen?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Hatchetman wrote:

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Colonel Angus wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

leash should whisper some sweet nothings into your trick ear right now

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Never understood why people thought it would be a good idea to make themselves do a full 90-degree turn into their parking space at home. Good luck ever coming home drunk.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
I had no idea how many of these actually existed until I started doing this limo shit.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:05 pm 

America wrote:
I had no idea how many of these actually existed until I started doing this limo shit.

they go on and on....I don't know where people get the money. Or, I didn't know so many people had money.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
The pictures in the OP actually make me angry... Who the fuck signed off on those plans?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:28 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The pictures in the OP actually make me angry... Who the fuck signed off on those plans?

To be fair there are a lot of developments in the city you can say this about too.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:39 pm 

formerlyknownas wrote:
America wrote:

they go on and on....I don't know where people get the money. Or, I didn't know so many people had money.

It's really amazing. I live in the Nape, but it's the average part. I wouldn't know wtf to do with a million dollar house. But I see very young people in the swanky parts sporting these mansions. They don't even seem like homes to me.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:42 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
leashyourkids wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
America wrote:

It's really amazing. I live in the Nape, but it's the average part. I wouldn't know wtf to do with a million dollar house. But I see very young people in the swanky parts sporting these mansions. They don't even seem like homes to me.

Because you cant afford or because you like a more cozy place?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:50 pm 

Both.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:54 pm 

Median income in Naperville is over $100k/year, which is more than enough to secure a mortgage for one of these things assuming your credit isn't shit. These young couples? Double that shit. These people probably save the down payment in six months. It's actually a pretty easy way to get these people, who should be pretty stable financially otherwise, into debt prison.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:57 pm 

America wrote:
Median income in Naperville is over $100k/year, which is more than enough to secure a mortgage for one of these things assuming your credit isn't shit. These young couples? Double that shit. These people probably save the down payment in six months. It's actually a pretty easy way to get these people, who should be pretty stable financially, into debt prison.

You took the words out of my mouth. We just bought a new house and close on it soon... and I was pre-approved for a 7 figure fucking mortgage. That's asinine. I couldn't come close to affording that, nor do I want to be leveraged to my fucking eyeballs. We will be right back where we were in 2008 soon.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:01 pm 

America wrote:
Median income in Naperville is over $100k/year, which is more than enough to secure a mortgage for one of these things assuming your credit isn't shit. These young couples? Double that shit. These people probably save the down payment in six months. It's actually a pretty easy way to get these people, who should be pretty stable financially otherwise, into debt prison.

I wonder how many of the people buying these homes have assets other than income...

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:58 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
America wrote:
Median income in Naperville is over $100k/year, which is more than enough to secure a mortgage for one of these things assuming your credit isn't shit. These young couples? Double that shit. These people probably save the down payment in six months. It's actually a pretty easy way to get these people, who should be pretty stable financially, into debt prison.

You took the words out of my mouth. We just bought a new house and close on it soon... and I was pre-approved for a 7 figure fucking mortgage. That's asinine. I couldn't come close to affording that, nor do I want to be leveraged to my fucking eyeballs. We will be right back where we were in 2008 soon.

Well the thing about these people is they can pay. They'll throw a couple Acura's on top of it and be all right. But it's just stupid to sacrifice the opportunity at financial Independence by age 40 (maybe not retire, but at least do something you care about) to have a million dollar house. There are people in Naperville making $200k a year who live basically paycheck to paycheck. All that is fast casual dining and expensive houses and cars that they can afford but really shouldn't be buying.

I think 2008 happened when they removed the whole income barrier and just let anyone live like this.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:25 pm 

America wrote:
There are people in Naperville making $200k a year who live basically paycheck to paycheck.

With student loans, cell phone bills, perhaps therapy if your kids need it, and a vacation a year, I can actually see this. It hits pretty close to my situation (the missus and
I pull in considerably less than $200,000 grand, but more than a hunnert) and I live in a shitbox in Beverly. I can't imagine the mortgage and taxes in Naperville....

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:19 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
formerlyknownas wrote:
America wrote:
There are people in Naperville making $200k a year who live basically paycheck to paycheck.

With student loans, cell phone bills, perhaps therapy if your kids need it, and a vacation a year, I can actually see this. It hits pretty close to my situation (the missus and
I pull in considerably less than $200,000 grand, but more than a hunnert) and I live in a shitbox in Beverly. I can't imagine the mortgage and taxes in Naperville....

Those homes are all 105-110$ a sqft to build, I'd rather live in your bungalow. It's nuts how much work I'm doing in Beverly n Mt greenwood, you wouldn't believe how much dough is getting pumped into the neighborhood.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:16 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Coworker of mine, he's a year older 52. They make $150-200K combined, one ten YO daughter. Wanted to build McMansion in the country, found a beautiful 4 acre spot. Sold their suburban home, guy holding the lot doubles the price (coworker's fault for no written agreement). Bye, Bye equity. Live in Grandma's empty house for a year or so trying to save for the house, family wants them out to cash out the house. So they rent elsewhere. Acting as his own General Contractor (another mistake), he gets best buddy since Kindergarten to be carpenter (his job). Bank trims his loan total back several times, so he keeps cutting down the house, originally over 6K sf. Now down to 3300sf on main level, no second story, he can afford the interest-only payments of $1400/mo., but the only way to get it built is by doing half of the trade work himself. Runs out of time and tears up suburban riding lawn mower on steroids trying to excavate the basement, so has to hire it done. That causes them to miss the window for the poured wall contractor, so he goes to next available. There is a reason why good contractors are always busy, and shitty ones are not busy. Gets caught saying he will do grade work, does not do real good quality job for flat work prep, and they pour the basement floor like it is a mini golf course, you can actually trip yourself just walking across it.

Meanwhile, at work, he tries to move up the ladder to the next level, which requires 18 months of classroom training, but rewards with 25% pay increase. He struggles with concepts in a class of 20-something engineers, and kills all his time to work on the house, as per the loan. Buddy starts framing the monster, but has other projects , too. Late november, it's about shelled in, but he has no time to roof it, ends up hiring a crew of Spanish guys, who knock out about 80%, ask to be paid and head back out of country for the winter. No way he'll get the plumbing done on time, so ends up hiring that out. He does the septic system himself with the oft-repaired lawn mower with loader and backhoe, but has to fight with county inspector on design (he loses), and trench blocks the only access for the well driller to get to the well site. Of course, the pared-down design now only included one water furnace, and they don't want to start install until the well is in and proven. He begins wiring on off hours, gets kicked out of class for bad grades. Ground froze enough to get well rig in, HVAC gets done in two weeks, now it all waits on the electric and he is behind. Builder takes six straight weeks off with no activity, no doubt working on the next project. They become fierce enemies. Now, he talks of hiring an electrician to finish the main box. Every time he hires a portion out, it seems to cost about $10K.

He says his wife went furniture shopping lat week and bought a $3400 sectional for the living room. The guys at work are constantly telling him not to skimp on the finishes, knowing that you can't try to sell an $800K house with plywood countertops and re-used plumbing fixtures. Stone work is out, all Smart siding, which is just OSB with a grain finish. Still not planned for is the 500 foot driveway and several retaining walls that need to be built, or any other landscaping. But he has a nice 3 car garage.

Poor guy is gonna lose it. In the end, he may scrimp it down to $650K mortgage, taxes may be $4K/yr, who knows what the utilities are. It's like a really slow-developing tv show every time I talk to him. There is much more I forgot to add, I know, it's already sini-like, tl;dr.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:11 am 

Buff that story to a sheen and start pitching it to literary journals, holy shit.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:18 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Never understood why people thought it would be a good idea to make themselves do a full 90-degree turn into their parking space at home. Good luck ever coming home drunk.

Our Pulte neighborhood is all side load garages. It actually looks like nice because you don't see open garages as you drive through the neighborhood. You get the full facade.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:29 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
K Effective wrote:
Coworker of mine, he's a year older 52. They make $150-200K combined, one ten YO daughter. Wanted to build McMansion in the country, found a beautiful 4 acre spot. Sold their suburban home, guy holding the lot doubles the price (coworker's fault for no written agreement). Bye, Bye equity. Live in Grandma's empty house for a year or so trying to save for the house, family wants them out to cash out the house. So they rent elsewhere. Acting as his own General Contractor (another mistake), he gets best buddy since Kindergarten to be carpenter (his job). Bank trims his loan total back several times, so he keeps cutting down the house, originally over 6K sf. Now down to 3300sf on main level, no second story, he can afford the interest-only payments of $1400/mo., but the only way to get it built is by doing half of the trade work himself. Runs out of time and tears up suburban riding lawn mower on steroids trying to excavate the basement, so has to hire it done. That causes them to miss the window for the poured wall contractor, so he goes to next available. There is a reason why good contractors are always busy, and shitty ones are not busy. Gets caught saying he will do grade work, does not do real good quality job for flat work prep, and they pour the basement floor like it is a mini golf course, you can actually trip yourself just walking across it.

Meanwhile, at work, he tries to move up the ladder to the next level, which requires 18 months of classroom training, but rewards with 25% pay increase. He struggles with concepts in a class of 20-something engineers, and kills all his time to work on the house, as per the loan. Buddy starts framing the monster, but has other projects , too. Late november, it's about shelled in, but he has no time to roof it, ends up hiring a crew of Spanish guys, who knock out about 80%, ask to be paid and head back out of country for the winter. No way he'll get the plumbing done on time, so ends up hiring that out. He does the septic system himself with the oft-repaired lawn mower with loader and backhoe, but has to fight with county inspector on design (he loses), and trench blocks the only access for the well driller to get to the well site. Of course, the pared-down design now only included one water furnace, and they don't want to start install until the well is in and proven. He begins wiring on off hours, gets kicked out of class for bad grades. Ground froze enough to get well rig in, HVAC gets done in two weeks, now it all waits on the electric and he is behind. Builder takes six straight weeks off with no activity, no doubt working on the next project. They become fierce enemies. Now, he talks of hiring an electrician to finish the main box. Every time he hires a portion out, it seems to cost about $10K.

He says his wife went furniture shopping lat week and bought a $3400 sectional for the living room. The guys at work are constantly telling him not to skimp on the finishes, knowing that you can't try to sell an $800K house with plywood countertops and re-used plumbing fixtures. Stone work is out, all Smart siding, which is just OSB with a grain finish. Still not planned for is the 500 foot driveway and several retaining walls that need to be built, or any other landscaping. But he has a nice 3 car garage.

Poor guy is gonna lose it. In the end, he may scrimp it down to $650K mortgage, taxes may be $4K/yr, who knows what the utilities are. It's like a really slow-developing tv show every time I talk to him. There is much more I forgot to add, I know, it's already sini-like, tl;dr.

Is you friend Thomas Hayden Church and is this the plot of the second season of Divorce?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next