It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: McMansion Hell
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:27 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Zillow hit them up with a cease and desist letter.
https://www.google.com/amp/gizmodo.com/ ... 435051/amp

Doubt that flies as Zillow takes their pictures from MLS listings.
That seems to be the reason they are doing this.
Quote:
But Zillow said it hopes Wagner can keep McMansion Hell alive. “The intent of the letter wasn’t to force the writer to shut down her site, but we have a legal obligation to enforce the agreements we make with the people who provide listings on Zillow,” a Zillow spokesperson told Gizmodo. “We can’t give away what is not ours, so we are asking her to take down the photos that came from Zillow.”

Why would Zillow care about this site? They aren't the ones selling the house.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:46 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Quote:
But Zillow said it hopes Wagner can keep McMansion Hell alive. “The intent of the letter wasn’t to force the writer to shut down her site, but we have a legal obligation to enforce the agreements we make with the people who provide listings on Zillow,” a Zillow spokesperson told Gizmodo. “We can’t give away what is not ours, so we are asking her to take down the photos that came from Zillow.”

Because the photos are the property of the homeowner is what I'm guessing.

Meeting a redfin realtor today. I'll ask who owns the photos.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:49 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Quote:

Because the photos are the property of the homeowner is what I'm guessing.

Meeting a redfin realtor today. I'll ask who owns the photos.
I agree.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:51 am 
Site Admin

It was bound to happen sooner or later Brick.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:08 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Sounds like everything's gonna be okay. That's good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
It took the 2nd time through this thread to see the comedic gold.

Never owned a Pulte home or a McMansion, but I have lived in a number of the smaller track homes. They've all had their issues but nothing horrible. My wife has an older home that was built in a more conventional manner. This home as had it's issues as well...hopefully we'll have it listed and sold before the fall.

I can also speak for trying to act as your own General Contractor. You need a lot of patience finding subs....many don't work out...live and learn, but in the end I do think I've saved money. Fortunately, we haven't had a tight deadline and be able to wait out the work.

These crazy homes pictured....wow.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:37 pm 

The site is pretty funny but I doubt poor design is limited to newer construction. My grandparents house is at least 70 years old and I literally cannot walk in the finished basement standing upright. It's not an ugly horn over a fireplace or a single raised platform but I'll take those over literally having to duck to move.

That doesn't even get to what older homes considered to be "kitchens".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
My in laws' house has a kitchen that is barely usable. One of things I like about newer home designs is the large kitchens that open up into a great room. We find that most of our entertaining occurs around the island, kitchen and great room. Older homes tend to be closed deigns with lots of compartments. The only downside to open floor plans is the noise tends to permeate the entire house.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
doug - evergreen park wrote:
yeah, all true. but the Lair of The Minotaur burger is to fucking die for.

So I've never been, but I just looked that burger up and it sounds amazing.

It's arguably better than the burgers at Au Cheval and Bavette's.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
denisdman wrote:
My in laws' house has a kitchen that is barely usable. One of things I like about newer home designs is the large kitchens that open up into a great room. We find that most of our entertaining occurs around the island, kitchen and great room. Older homes tend to be closed deigns with lots of compartments. The only downside to open floor plans is the noise tends to permeate the entire house.

It's true. Older homes were made for shorter people, and generally are way too boxed off. Not good for entertaining. I really don't have an interest in a house built before the 90's.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
City of Fools wrote:
denisdman wrote:

It's true. Older homes were made for shorter people, and generally are way too boxed off. Not good for entertaining. I really don't have an interest in a house built before the 90's.

older homes all have closed off kitchens as they didn't have sufficient ventilation for fumes and didn't want them wafting into the living areas.

Also closet space sucks in older homes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
We need to send the listing of Mike North's house to these people so that they can have some fun roasting it. Tell them to throw in a few Webio jokes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Chus wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Chus wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Hah, there's nothing urban about me. I don't hate front facing, but I like the look of our side loader. Pulte has nice facade's in front. Too bad they don't offer all brick options. The rest of the outside is bland.

I have worked on several Pulte projects. They are probably the worst builders out there.

I don't understand you. You literally say the opposite of anything I post. I am not sure if you're serious or just trolling.

First, Pulte always ranks very high in customer satisfaction. I have owned three new homes. This is by far the best one I have ever had. I am 13 years in, and not a single crack in the walls from settling or creaky floors. From the moment we bought to the closing, they had by far the best customer service (including mortgage and title services) and solid construction. They fixed any minor issues on my final walk through. I guess I just got lucky.

I did mortgages in grad school, and we worked mostly on new construction loans. I saw the crap places like Neuman and William Ryan homes put buyers though.

But hey you know everything, so who am I to argue? I am sure DB, BR, and KW will be by to second-fourth your opinion. That seems to be the way it goes around here.

Don't be such a baby. I have worked on MANY projects. I have seen how the proverbial sausage is made. They hire morons, and build shitty houses. There is no reason for you to take it so personally.

Montalbano is equally as shitty as Pulte.

I miss Chus. RIP Lions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:55 pm 

Lol he was good on Dr Ken’s podcast. And the Pulte meme is long lasting fun.

Just passed 15 years in the Pulte. It is well built. But it’s basically factory (prefab) construction, which means less skilled, union labor on the job site. I suspect his political beliefs influenced his feelings about Pulte. Or maybe I just got lucky with my particular home.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:04 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
denisdman wrote:

My house was built before WWII.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:07 pm 

The Pulte designs are quite modern. It depends on what you like, but they make great use of space. We have a very useful great room where the kitchen and rec room are all one big space and has been perfect for entertaining guests comfortably. In addition, they have expansive masters bedrooms with lots of room in the bathroom and closet. In 15 years, the vast majority of time is spent in these two rooms, and it makes sense to make those the most appealing part of the house.

The open floor plans and white columns look nice. The only major downside to all the open space is that noise carries everywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:47 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
denisdman wrote:
The Pulte designs are quite modern. It depends on what you like, but they make great use of space. We have a very useful great room where the kitchen and rec room are all one big space and has been perfect for entertaining guests comfortably. In addition, they have expansive masters bedrooms with lots of room in the bathroom and closet. In 15 years, the vast majority of time is spent in these two rooms, and it makes sense to make those the most appealing part of the house.

The open floor plans and white columns look nice. The only major downside to all the open space is that noise carries everywhere.

Bloody yuppies.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
The only major downside to all the open space is that noise carries everywhere.

That's a HUGE downside when adults can't converse because children or grandchildren are being themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
don't have kids...problem solved.

also, why was this thread dredged from the swamp?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
One Post wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Mine is a Sears and Roebuck four square house built before WWI.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
One Post wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Mine was too. In my case, it means it could withstand WWIII. It's a sturdy-as-hell bungalow. Though I wish it had more open space, it contains noise pretty damn well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:08 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
don't have kids...problem solved.

also, why was this thread dredged from the swamp?

Caller Bob misses Chus.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I live in a van down by the river.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
tommy wrote:
One Post wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Mine was too. In my case, it means it could withstand WWIII. It's a sturdy-as-hell bungalow. Though I wish it had more open space, it contains noise pretty damn well.

Same, in a 1926 brick bungalow.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

Spaulding wrote:

Perfect place to turn tricks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:30 pm 

Mr. Reason wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

And in ten days, a great place to get a treat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

denisdman wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

And in ten days, a great place to get a treat.

Spaulding will be there with her Harry Treat.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Latest one on 2/1 is a real banger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:42 pm 

This is a mansion too https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/424- ... 5603_zpid/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
IkeSouth wrote:

it's got a lot of charm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next