It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Comey Fired
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:54 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Walt Williams Neck wrote:

If that story is true he may want to resign before he has a stroke or heart attack.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:40 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I posted this in the Trump thread, but it's too good not to share. If you want to know why Comey got canned, it's because Trump has an ego and he couldn't deal with the lack of support for his idiotic and baseless claims Trump Tower was wire tapped.

From the NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/us/p ... &smtyp=cur

"After President Trump accused his predecessor in March of wiretapping him, James B. Comey, the F.B.I. director, was flabbergasted. The president, Mr. Comey told associates, was “outside the realm of normal,” even “crazy.”

For his part, Mr. Trump fumed when Mr. Comey publicly dismissed the sensational wiretapping claim. In the weeks that followed, he grew angrier and began talking about firing Mr. Comey. After stewing last weekend while watching Sunday talk shows at his New Jersey golf resort, Mr. Trump decided it was time. There was “something wrong with” Mr. Comey, he told aides.

The collision between president and F.B.I. director that culminated with Mr. Comey’s stunning dismissal on Tuesday had been a long time coming."

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:46 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
If you want to know why Comey got canned, it's because Trump has an ego and he couldn't deal with the lack of support for his idiotic and baseless claims Trump Tower was wire tapped.

I can completely believe that. If I had to pick a single word to describe Trump it would be "petty". Still, I don't think anyone regardless of party affiliation should be upset over the demise of Jim Comey.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:28 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
If you want to know why Comey got canned, it's because Trump has an ego and he couldn't deal with the lack of support for his idiotic and baseless claims Trump Tower was wire tapped.

I can completely believe that. If I had to pick a single word to describe Trump it would be "petty". Still, I don't think anyone regardless of party affiliation should be upset over the demise of Jim Comey.

He would very naturally fall into line as a dictator if he were unchecked. He would be one of those guys like Kim Jong Un who would use rocket launchers to carry out a death sentence. You can see how it frustrates him not to be able to do everything that he wishes.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:54 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Obama was also very frustrated he could not do all he wanted to do. Not trying to compare the two directly but this is more common probably than we think. The difference is in how it manifests itself.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:57 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

He would very naturally fall into line as a dictator if he were unchecked. He would be one of those guys like Kim Jong Un who would use rocket launchers to carry out a death sentence. You can see how it frustrates him not to be able to do everything that he wishes.

As I have said many times, Trump doesn't understand the concept of separation of powers and that all 3 branches are intended to have equal power (although through bullshit over the last century the Executive Branch has grown into a monster)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:58 am 

pittmike wrote:
Obama was also very frustrated he could not do all he wanted to do. Not trying to compare the two directly but this is more common probably than we think. The difference is in how it manifests itself.

He was frustrated, but he also understood it going in. I don't think Trump understood it. He thought it would be like his company where his word was final and all cogs below him would act in line with it.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:59 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
As I have said many times, Trump doesn't understand the concept of separation of powers and that all 3 branches are intended to have equal power (although through bullshit over the last century the Executive Branch has grown into a monster)

Oh yeah, well what about Bush? Oh wait, you said last century.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:00 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
pittmike wrote:

He was frustrated, but he also understood it going in. I don't think Trump understood it. He thought it would be like his company where his word was final and all cogs below him would act in line with it.

Right, but Obama had to have thought his transcendent speeches and Nobel Prize were going to give him the juice he needed. Again, the way Trump is handling it is dumb but I think every POTUS gets humbled for lack of a better word early on.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:06 am 

pittmike wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Right, but Obama had to have thought his transcendent speeches and Nobel Prize were going to give him the juice he needed. Again, the way Trump is handling it is dumb but I think every POTUS gets humbled for lack of a better word early on.

No doubt. Same thing happened to Clinton. He thought he could get his health care through and the backlash was 1994's election. Clinton (unlike Obama and most other Presidents) recognized the defeat and found ways to pass some great bipartisan legislation that was helpful to the economy. Congress even gave him a line item veto until SCOTUS ruled that unconstitutional. We really need a Constitutional Amendment to bring that back.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:06 am 

pittmike wrote:
Right, but Obama

:roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:09 am 

Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Right, but Obama

:roll: :roll:

Clever.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Trump is petty and stupid, but the deep state stuff does seem pretty frightening. Any candidate trying to make significant change in Washington is going to be up against it. It's going to take someone with a lot less baggage to drain that swamp.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:12 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
pittmike wrote:

No doubt. Same thing happened to Clinton. He thought he could get his health care through and the backlash was 1994's election. Clinton (unlike Obama and most other Presidents) recognized the defeat and found ways to pass some great bipartisan legislation that was helpful to the economy. Congress even gave him a line item veto until SCOTUS ruled that unconstitutional. We really need a Constitutional Amendment to bring that back.

Clinton's bi-partisan legislation certainly helped to tank the economy a few years down the line.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:12 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

It was not too long ago that people believed any suggestion of such a thing was a criminal offense.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:14 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Trump is petty and stupid, but the deep state stuff does seem pretty frightening. Any candidate trying to make significant change in Washington is going to be up against it. It's going to take someone with a lot less baggage to drain that swamp.

Trump isn't trying to drain the swamp. He is simply trying to find a new location for it.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:14 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Clinton's bi-partisan legislation certainly helped to tank the economy a few years down the line.

Presidents have far less to do with the economy than anyone could possibly imagine.

The dot com bubble was a small blip and the 2001 recession lasted only 2 quarters. Only 2 quarters of recession in the middle of 16 years of economic growth is something to be celebrated.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:22 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

And consider that he hired (& stands behind) a former career US district attorney to try and now carry it out.

For the newer members around here Dolphin & I have long publicly shared a degree of contempt for the high handed, insular overdog status oft abused by federal prosecutors from thrones in their little fiefdoms.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:38 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Presidents have far less to do with the economy than anyone could possibly imagine.

The dot com bubble was a small blip and the 2001 recession lasted only 2 quarters. Only 2 quarters of recession in the middle of 16 years of economic growth is something to be celebrated.

I'm talking about 2007.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:44 am 

I'm talking about 2007.

2007 happened because the FHA demanded that banks take loans they would have otherwise never issued.
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... is/249903/

That wasn't by act of Congress either.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/30/busin ... nding.html

It seems like FHA hasn't learned as they are lowering the down payment level to 3.5% (0% if it's rural development :shock: )

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:58 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I'm talking about 2007.

2007 happened because the FHA demanded that banks take loans they would have otherwise never issued.

It seems like FHA hasn't learned as they are lowering the down payment level to 3.5% (0% if it's rural development :shock: )

Ha. So it was poor people that caused it. It's not only wrong it's cruel. This was a Wall Street orchestrated disaster.

Banks were re-packaging mortgages as top-rated securities and selling them off. It was a basic something for nothing scheme. If it was just giving people houses they could not afford it would not have been the giant cluster that it became. It was compounded hundreds of times over because of Wall St. trading and making bets on the securities.

They forced those poor bankers to make loans. Sure.

The Missing Link wrote:

Last edited by WaitingforRuffcorn on Thu May 11, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:03 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I'm talking about 2007.

Ha. So it was poor people that cause it. It's not only wrong it' cruel. This was a Wall Street orchestrated disaster.

Banks were re-packaging mortgages as top-rated securities and selling them off. It was a basic something for nothing scheme. If it was just giving people houses they could not afford it would not have been the giant cluster that it became. It was compounded hundreds of times over because of Wall St. trading and making bets on the securities.

They forced those poor bankers to make loans. Sure.

You know the Federal Government made the banks issue loans to people who had no business taking out a mortgage, right? The banks don't issue those loans without government backing to guarantee them.

The banks got more cautious afterwards and stopped issuing those loans after 2008. Notice how hard it was to get credit then? That's how it should have stayed. However, our noble government, unwilling to learn, decided to lower the standards so that people with 580 credit scores can take out a government backed FHA loan with 3.5% down. They made it 0% down if it's a rural development loan.

The housing crisis doesn't occur if we were limited to conventional mortgages, as it should be. When you get FHA guarantees out of there, banks only issue after serious manual underwriting since they are on the hook for the defaults.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
If this were North Korea, Comey wouldn't have been fired. He would have been set on fire.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:20 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
If this were North Korea, Comey wouldn't have been fired. He would have been set on fire.

nah, they would've used an AA gun on him

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:24 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

And consider that he hired (& stands behind) a former career US district attorney to try and now carry it out.

For the newer members around here Dolphin & I have long publicly shared a degree of contempt for the high handed, insular overdog status oft abused by federal prosecutors from thrones in their little fiefdoms.

:lol: :lol:

As you both merrily voted for their Democratic overlords who continued to appoint said US attorneys for the most part.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies
sjboyd0137 wrote:

I'm out.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:39 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The housing crisis doesn't occur if we were limited to conventional mortgages, as it should be. When you get FHA guarantees out of there, banks only issue after serious manual underwriting since they are on the hook for the defaults.

The housing crisis doesn't occur if "lenders" didn't game the system with no doc or interest only/balloon loans rolled into fraudulent mortgage securities in that pyramid scheme. It was sad when $300k homes sprung up in Kane and Kendall County with no furniture in many rooms, until the refinance was done six mos. after purchase, or how many in West Englewood or Austin suddenly were running out to pick up new Lexuses and Chrysler 300s after refinancing now long empty & unsellable three flats. And how the uninhibited lenders were going full speed because Wall St. was encouraging the fraud to churn fees. Because after Long Term Capital told the free market that the government was going to bail them out, until they didn't with Lehmann Brothers.

Or if many didn't wink and nod and flat out lie(with coaching) in FHA docs, as there was virtually no fact checking out there.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:40 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

As you both merrily voted for their Democratic overlords who continued to appoint said US attorneys for the most part.

As did you when the offices were run by arrogant Republicans, don't forget. It's not the party, it's the nature of the office.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
We need more government! We need less government!

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:11 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Regular Reader wrote:
As did you when the offices were run by arrogant Republicans, don't forget. It's not the party, it's the nature of the office.

The only Republican I voted for recommended the only guy, Patrick Fitzgerald, who ran out many of those the Dems wouldn't touch for years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next