It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Assad's ovens
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
were is the outrage about this modern day Holocaust?

Quote:
as many as 50 people per day.

You answered your own question.

yep, nothing has rivaled the almost assembly line like style used at places like Auschwitz.

Weird spot to be praising German engineering.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:

Quote:

yep, nothing has rivaled the almost assembly line like style used at places like Auschwitz.

I'm speaking in that manner to highlight how brutal it was. It's one thing to have a genocide done by soldiers individually bullet by bullet. The Nazis started with that method via the Einsatzgruppen, but then moved to the gas chambers and extermination camps.

It's an entirely different level to create a machine like process to maximize the killing. Treblinka alone was set up to 12,000-15,000 people per day, and Auschwitz's gas chambers were arranged to kill even more. That is what separates the Holocaust from all other genocides.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:

Quote:

I'm speaking in that manner to highlight how brutal it was. It's one thing to have a genocide done by soldiers individually bullet by bullet. The Nazis started with that method via the Einsatzgruppen, but then moved to the gas chambers and extermination camps.

It's an entirely different level to create a machine like process to maximize the killing. Treblinka alone was set up to 12,000-15,000 people per day, and Auschwitz's gas chambers were arranged to kill even more. That is what separates the Holocaust from all other genocides.

To me this gets into the pity Olympics that Jorr discussed earlier. Why is the Holocaust worst than 50 million or so dead Russians during Stalin's purges? Or a similar number during Mao's in China? Does there need to be a title for worst?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:40 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:

Quote:

To me this gets into the pity Olympics that Jorr discussed earlier. Why is the Holocaust worst than 50 million or so dead Russians during Stalin's purges? Or a similar number during Mao's in China? Does there need to be a title for worst?

It's not about the numbers, it's about the cold and meticulous methods devised.

No other country devoted such large resources to building a system of industrialized death. Germany did this to the point that trains to death camps received priority over trains to supply troops on the Eastern Front.

Look at the officers and men of the SS. They were well educated. They weren't your typical men carrying out a genocide.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Don Tiny wrote:
Be sure to stop by your local ABT store this summer to check out our fine selection of home kitchen appliances, including our new in-house line of Assad's Ovens.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:45 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

No other country devoted such large resources to building a system of industrialized death. Germany did this to the point that trains to death camps received priority over trains to supply troops on the Eastern Front.

Look at the officers and men of the SS. They were well educated. They weren't your typical men carrying out a genocide.

I think Ordinary Men debunks some of this. It was not just SS taking part.

And the priority on the trains was likely when the war was effectively lost, so they were trying to "get rid of the evidence". I've had a Chinese professor claim Japan's actions in China were worse. I don't know how to measure one massacre as worse than another, or see how it matters going forward.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:53 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I think Ordinary Men debunks some of this. It was not just SS taking part.

And the priority on the trains was likely when the war was effectively lost, so they were trying to "get rid of the evidence". I've had a Chinese professor claim Japan's actions in China were worse. I don't know how to measure one massacre as worse than another, or see how it matters going forward.

The volunteers in SS ranks (particularly in the Einsatzgruppen) were often men with graduate degrees. These weren't your normal conscripts carrying out the work of a dictator. These were highly educated and often wealthy men who bought into his vision and actively carried out his worst.

You're completely missing my point here. It's not about what genocide is worse or who did the most. It's about how the Germans effectively designed a machine to exterminate people in the most efficient means possible. No other genocide in history has been put into effect in a manner that looks like it was designed by industrial engineers.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:55 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

It's like The Jordan vs LeBron debate. LeBron has better numbers but Jordan was much more impressive.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
They are a thorough people.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

It's like The Jordan vs LeBron debate. LeBron has better numbers but Jordan was much more impressive.

LeBron doesn't have better numbers though.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:53 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

LeBron doesn't have better numbers though.
Assists and rebounds.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Don Tiny wrote:
Be sure to stop by your local ABT store this summer to check out our fine selection of home kitchen appliances, including our new in-house line of Assad's Ovens.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I thought this was a kebab shop in downtown Skokie.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:32 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Oh, Moz actually made a concert date without cancelling it because he came down with the vapors?