It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:26 am 

This article by Conservative Charlie Sykes best sums up what a Never Trumper happens to be. Which person on this board does this best describe?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nyt ... t.amp.html

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:30 am 

I thought we were done with this confusing term?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:32 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Your article seems pretty close to what is going on. I would ass though that is is a learned behavior. The right could say we need to use the same way the left works to get the results they want. Look away or allow for certain contradictions to get their ends. It is the absolute essence of Allinsky's by any means necessary.

"For the anti-anti-Trump pundit, whatever the allegation against Mr. Trump, whatever his blunders or foibles, the other side is always worse.

But the real heart of anti-anti-Trumpism is the delight in the frustration and anger of his opponents. Mr. Trump’s base is unlikely to hold him either to promises or tangible achievements, because conservative politics is now less about ideas or accomplishments than it is about making the right enemies cry out in anguish."

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:35 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

There is nothing confusing about it.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:37 am 

pittmike wrote:
Your article seems pretty close to what is going on. I would ass though that is is a learned behavior. The right could say we need to use the same way the left works to get the results they want. Look away or allow for certain contradictions to get their ends. It is the absolute essence of Allinsky's by any means necessary.

"For the anti-anti-Trump pundit, whatever the allegation against Mr. Trump, whatever his blunders or foibles, the other side is always worse.

But the real heart of anti-anti-Trumpism is the delight in the frustration and anger of his opponents. Mr. Trump’s base is unlikely to hold him either to promises or tangible achievements, because conservative politics is now less about ideas or accomplishments than it is about making the right enemies cry out in anguish."

Yep. A lot of guys have become wealthy by implementing this approach. I wonder what conservative intellectual patriarchs of yesteryear would think about this latest twist in conservatism?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:38 am 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Well that settles it.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:41 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Well that settles it.

Whatever confusion there may have been should have subsided months ago. If it hasn't then maybe you haven't really been paying close enough attention.

Sykes just made 5 points that were made months ago.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:44 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Sounds to me like Sykes should stop tuning in to Rush Limbaugh.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:45 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Yep. A lot of guys have become wealthy by implementing this approach. I wonder what conservative intellectual patriarchs of yesteryear would think about this latest twist in conservatism?

I am pretty sure many here on the left thought the right would not win a presidential election in a very long time after Obama's second victory. At the time it was said the right was in a shambles and out of touch with the electorate. They have to do something. Well, this sure wasn't what they planned but here they are.

Modern "conservative" politics has/had to evolve in some way eventually. The demos in the south and midwest are changing and the religious folks are not going to stay a strong useful force forever.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:48 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Great show today

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:50 am 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Well that settles it.

Whatever confusion there may have been should have subsided months ago. If it hasn't then maybe you haven't really been paying close enough attention.

Never Hillary meant they would never vote for Hillary. Never Trump means you never blame Trump. That's not confusing at all.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:52 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Liberals successfully alienated me from my own ideology by being completely insufferable. I'd rather someone I disagree with lead the country than their choice. Urban liberals are the weakest, most infantile group of burritos in the history of American political demographics. The way Trump just wrecks them at every turn brings me great joy, he could not do a single thing policy wise and I'd call his presidency a success for how it is undermining their movement.

From the article:

[quote]Conservatives will care less about governing and more about scoring “wins” — and inflicting losses on the left — no matter how hollow the victories or flawed the policies. Ultimately, though, this will end badly because it is a moral and intellectual dead end, and very likely a political one as well.[/quote]

Where does he think they learned this from? :lol: This guy is just another demasculated baby throwing the thousandth tantrum of the Trump Era this far.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:53 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Julian Sanchez wrote about this phenomenon on the right years ago, though I think he sorely underestimated its strategic advantages when it comes to actually claiming political power.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:54 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Well that settles it.

Never Hillary meant they would never vote for Hillary. Never Trump means you never blame Trump. That's not confusing at all.

I'm much concerned about a larger debate. You can debate whether something is confusing. I'm not.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:55 am 

pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I am pretty sure many here on the left thought the right would not win a presidential election in a very long time after Obama's second victory. At the time it was said the right was in a shambles and out of touch with the electorate. They have to do something. Well, this sure wasn't what they planned but here they are.

Modern "conservative" politics has/had to evolve in some way eventually. The demos in the south and midwest are changing and the religious folks are not going to stay a strong useful force forever.

The problem for Trump won't come from the left though. It will come from the right.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:46 am 
You guys are going to be cute during the impeachment hearings.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:14 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Sykes ran against Rush in Milwaukee when he was at WTMJ. He's always positioned himself as The Thinking Man's Conservative (he's even at NPR now!), but his real animus for Trump, besides Trump's crassness giving away the game, is that Trump murked his boy Scott Walker in the primaries. Sykes, more than anyone, is why even though Trump won Wisconsin in the general, he lost it in the primaries.