It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:27 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
:roll:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Settle down Pancake Mix, it was a joke. I only want the best for you.

If you're back to making more money, maybe you can actually review some breakfast spot above the Denny's tier.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
I'm just lucky to have a job. #blessed

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:58 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
How long at one job is enough so that it doesn't look bad on a resume? Its been about a year for me but I've had a couple recruiters call within the last couple weeks. I'm not unhappy at the current place but if someone makes a great offer... who knows. My last job was 9 years, so I don't have a history of jumping.

I'd say 6 months.

The last company I worked for was just horrendously terrible. There was so many days where I just wanted to say "fuck it" and walk out the door. I stayed 6 months and got the fuck out of there.

I actually created a thread asking the same question, and bigfan went full on genius toward me about it.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:06 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
How long at one job is enough so that it doesn't look bad on a resume? Its been about a year for me but I've had a couple recruiters call within the last couple weeks. I'm not unhappy at the current place but if someone makes a great offer... who knows. My last job was 9 years, so I don't have a history of jumping.

I'd say 6 months.

The last company I worked for was just horrendously terrible. There was so many days where I just wanted to say "fuck it" and walk out the door. I stayed 6 months and got the fuck out of there.

I actually created a thread asking the same question, and bigfan went full on genius toward me about it.

https://youtu.be/X6WHBO_Qc-Q

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
for me, the answer is forever. Or at least till daddy retires and I officially run this place into the ground. That will be a scary day because I'm almost 47 years old and I've never had a resume.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:37 am 
100000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have been at my current job for two years. For the most part, its a good gig.

Last night, my boss at my former light bulb job (where I was at for a little less than 7 years) sent me a FB message saying he would "love to open communications up for a possible return." At the very end, I hated that job, but it was more $ than I make now so I said it would not hurt at all to talk and see whats up. Could be an interesting few weeks.
I was offered a fairly lucrative position with my old company yesterday. Its a LOT more hours, a LOT more stress, but a lot more money and they are willing to match the 3 weeks PTO I have currently. My job now is barely 40 hours a week, which includes drive time and some work from home. I have a company car & laptop that I can use 24/7, and virtually no stress after work.

I am completely on the fence and don't know what I will do.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:52 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
3 weeks PTO is not a lot. Our base for new employees is 17 days vacation, 8 holidays, 10 sick days, all of which can be used in partial-day increments as needed. So if you have to leave at 3 because you are going to Vegas for the weekend and your flight is at 6, you just take 2.5 hours of vacation.

If you really want to go back, see if they'll go to 4 weeks PTO plus holidays.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:13 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Last night, my boss at my former light bulb job (where I was at for a little less than 7 years) sent me a FB message saying he would "love to open communications up for a possible return." At the very end, I hated that job, but it was more $ than I make now so I said it would not hurt at all to talk and see whats up. Could be an interesting few weeks.
I was offered a fairly lucrative position with my old company yesterday. Its a LOT more hours, a LOT more stress, but a lot more money and they are willing to match the 3 weeks PTO I have currently. My job now is barely 40 hours a week, which includes drive time and some work from home. I have a company car & laptop that I can use 24/7, and virtually no stress after work.

Chasing money over life quality is normally a bad decision if you are comfortable now with how you live.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:16 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
I'm really hoping I can make it another ten years right where I am. That would give me the magic number, and about eight years post kids' college tuition to pound enough into the retirement fund to make life comfortable without a job. Wife is hoping for a grisly industrial accident soon, to ride the insurance wave to equatorial Costa Rica...

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:47 am 

Take the new old job Frank.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:02 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Will you be reporting to the guy that fired you?

How many more hours?

How much more money percentage wise?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Can I ask this odd question about getting a new job, I have thought about leaving mine, but if you want to get a loan for anything, don't they want you at a job for awhile and what do you do about insurance, don't you have to have something until you can get on the new jobs insurance plan.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
reents wrote:
Can I ask this odd question about getting a new job, I have thought about leaving mine, but if you want to get a loan for anything, don't they want you at a job for awhile and what do you do about insurance, don't you have to have something until you can get on the new jobs insurance plan.

if you have insurance through work you can continue it via COBRA for a year (or more?) but it costs and arm and a leg..you pay the full amount meaning your employer no longer subsidizes it. not sure developments since Obamacare...can sign up for that mid year if you have a "life event?"

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Hatchetman wrote:
reents wrote:

if you have insurance through work you can continue it via COBRA for a year (or more?) but it costs and arm and a leg..you pay the full amount meaning your employer no longer subsidizes it. not sure developments since Obamacare...can sign up for that mid year if you have a "life event?"

And about loans usually at least a year on the job or the equivilent show of steady employment.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:44 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Fart in your current bosses pillow. If he gets pink eye, take the old job back.

Thats the best advice i can come up with.

However. It has helped me make important decisions in the past.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:11 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Im at my current job for 12 years now. I switched to being just a driver about 3 years ago or so from sales and it was the best move I've ever made in jobs. We get yearly raises and I work a ton of OT at time and a half. The hours suck (early mornings) but it works with the kids so it's even better for me.

I flirted with going elsewhere but I make really good money and my schedule is ideal for my needs right now.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
reents wrote:

You will get the cobra paperwork after you leave. You get 90 days (I think) to sign up and if you sign up, it is retroactive to the date you left the other job. So basically you roll the dice for a month or so and hope that no one needs insurance during that time. COBRA is expensive as fuck.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:11 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
COBRA is expensive as fuck.

https://youtu.be/sxsZ9Qir_oU?t=84

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Douchebag wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Just curious. Coming up on 10 years myself. That seems about plenty.

You should have left 8 years ago.

:lol:

I'm not really joking.

Being loyal to the same company never really gets you an advantage. Companies will just use you and offer ridiculously small raises (or none at all) until you've had it and leave. You will earn more by leaving and seeking employment elsewhere. Free agency pays.

I thought you were implying that he should've left the board 8 years ago, which pretty much lined-up with his 2009 join date. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Douchebag wrote:
... and bigfan went full on genius ...

I'll take "Entirely Predictable Events" for $600, Alex ...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:56 am 
100000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

After much thought and discussion, I have decided to return to my old gig. They have given me a raise and will give me the few things that I asked for. To their credit, my current company offered an 11.5% raise and 3 more PTO days this year but given the situation my wife are in right now, along with trying to start a family, the bigger paycheck just made more sense. I am leaving my current job on good terms and they said they would absolutely take me back down the road if that situation arose.

Its a good feeling to have to be wanted, I must say that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:58 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Smart move Frank. That's exactly the terms on which you should leave any job. Always good to have something to fall back on, just in case.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:06 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Frank is the big FA signing this summer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:12 am 
100000 CLUB

Seacrest wrote:
Frank is the big FA signing this summer.
The Polish Babe Ruth