It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:07 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Normally I wouldn't quote a Jezebel article but I couldn't let the opening sentence go unrecognized:

Quote:
Charlie Gard is a terminally ill baby who cannot see or hear with significant brain damage that keeps him from breathing, eating or moving on his own.

So if he opens his eyes or hears things he will suffer brain damage? Just have him wear a couple of eye patches and a set of headphones. Problem solved.

Now that that's out of the way, here's the full story:

Quote:
Charlie’s parents have been forbidden from taking him to the US for experimental treatment, based on evidence from the hospital and doctors, a decision upheld by the European court of human rights. Now, after interference fro the Pope and Donald Trump, his case is being reopened.

The Guardian reports that on Monday, Charlie’s parents, Connie Yates and Chris Gard, were given 48 hours to produce “drastic new evidence” that sending him to the US would help Charlie. The court will reconvene to hear the evidence on Thursday.

Justice Nicholas Francis, who rejected the parents’ requests to move Charlie in April, says he would be “delighted” to change his mind, but added, “I have to decide this case not on the basis of tweets, not on the basis of what might be said in the press, or to the press.”

The Great Ormond Street Hospital applied for the new hearing after receiving a letter signed by seven doctors from the Vatican children’s hospital asking them to reconsider, and a letter from the family’s solicitor.

Charlie’s condition is caused by a rare genetic mitochondrial condition, and a US doctor performing “nucleoside treatment” has said there is a 10% chance of it working on Charlie, at a conservative estimate. This will, of course, not cure or reverse the brain damage his condition has already caused him to suffer.

Meanwhile, two US Republicans, Reps. Brad Wenstrup (OH) and Trent Franks (AZ), have proposed giving Gard permanent residency in the US for his treatment. Both are in favor of the Republican health care bill that would strip insurance from millions of American citizens.

Nice little editorial sideswipe there.

Quote:
“Only the family, the doctors treating Charlie, and now the legal teams involved, know the details of complex issues that define his situation,” said Dr. Neena Modi, president of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, in a statement to CNN. “These issues—unknown to us and all those voicing opinions—will have been considered very carefully in reaching any decision. This is why interventions by external agencies or individuals, no matter how well-intended, are unhelpful.”

What a strange way to end the story.

In any case I find it pretty strange that the parents aren't being allowed to decide what to do with their own child.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:06 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Socialized medicine leads to rationed care. Then it's just a matter of a simple cost/benefit analysis. Or something like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Franky T wrote:
Socialized medicine leads to rationed care. Then it's just a matter of a simple cost/benefit analysis. Or something like that.

I would donate two cans of green beans if it would save your life.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:12 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
leashyourkids wrote:
Franky T wrote:

:lol: we forgot to discuss your cooking.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Comet Ping Pong
I don't see the problem bro. This is a good thing and why we need socialized healthcare here. Once this kid rightfully dies those resources can go to someone worth helping.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
If the US ever does go single payer, make sure you buy private health insurance as the single payer system will make the VA look like the Mayo Clinic. When I lived under single payer, I made sure to buy private health insurance and I'm damn glad I did so.

Besides, the best doctors will move the hell out of the single payer system and only work in the private hospitals accessible via private insurance if/when we go down that awful road. It will lead to a further shortage of medical staff available relative to the number of patients that need to be seen in that inevitably broken system.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:11 pm 

Excluding murder and neglect, under what circumstances should the government be allowed to police a parent's decision regarding the life and death of their own child?

This is totally not a loaded question. I promise.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
SpiralStairs wrote:
Excluding murder and neglect, under what circumstances should the government be allowed to police a parent's decision regarding the life and death of their own child?

No circumstances.

Next question

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:15 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

No circumstances.

Next question

Will you go out with me?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
SpiralStairs wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

No circumstances.

Next question

Will you go out with me?

Sure. You're buying.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:21 pm 

FF and all other libertarians are excused from answering the question.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:22 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:

The government should make every decision regarding a child's healthcare. Parents are emotional and emotion shouldn't be a factor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:23 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:

What if I wasn't gonna answer the question anyway?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:25 pm 

Bernie Bro wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

The government should make every decision regarding a child's healthcare. Parents are emotional and emotion shouldn't be a factor.

This mult is awful. If it was any worse, I'd think it was Nas.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:25 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Then feel free to eat from a dumpster.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:28 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:

Are they paying?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:29 pm 

I believe governments are better suited to raising children than families are. They have data and years of research to back their conclusions. Anyone who doesn't surrender their baby to the government is a traitor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:31 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Are they paying?

Sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
leashyourkids wrote:
Bernie Bro wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

This mult is awful. If it was any worse, I'd think it was Nas.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:37 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
I believe governments are better suited to raising children than families are. They have data and years of research to back their conclusions. Anyone who doesn't surrender their baby to the government is a traitor.

You forgot to login as me bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
SpiralStairs wrote:
Normally I wouldn't quote a Jezebel article but I couldn't let the opening sentence go unrecognized:

Quote:
Charlie Gard is a terminally ill baby who cannot see or hear with significant brain damage that keeps him from breathing, eating or moving on his own.

So if he opens his eyes or hears things he will suffer brain damage? Just have him wear a couple of eye patches and a set of headphones. Problem solved.

Quote:
Charlie’s parents have been forbidden from taking him to the US for experimental treatment, based on evidence from the hospital and doctors, a decision upheld by the European court of human rights. Now, after interference fro the Pope and Donald Trump, his case is being reopened.

The Guardian reports that on Monday, Charlie’s parents, Connie Yates and Chris Gard, were given 48 hours to produce “drastic new evidence” that sending him to the US would help Charlie. The court will reconvene to hear the evidence on Thursday.

Justice Nicholas Francis, who rejected the parents’ requests to move Charlie in April, says he would be “delighted” to change his mind, but added, “I have to decide this case not on the basis of tweets, not on the basis of what might be said in the press, or to the press.”

The Great Ormond Street Hospital applied for the new hearing after receiving a letter signed by seven doctors from the Vatican children’s hospital asking them to reconsider, and a letter from the family’s solicitor.

Charlie’s condition is caused by a rare genetic mitochondrial condition, and a US doctor performing “nucleoside treatment” has said there is a 10% chance of it working on Charlie, at a conservative estimate. This will, of course, not cure or reverse the brain damage his condition has already caused him to suffer.

Meanwhile, two US Republicans, Reps. Brad Wenstrup (OH) and Trent Franks (AZ), have proposed giving Gard permanent residency in the US for his treatment. Both are in favor of the Republican health care bill that would strip insurance from millions of American citizens.

Quote:
“Only the family, the doctors treating Charlie, and now the legal teams involved, know the details of complex issues that define his situation,” said Dr. Neena Modi, president of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, in a statement to CNN. “These issues—unknown to us and all those voicing opinions—will have been considered very carefully in reaching any decision. This is why interventions by external agencies or individuals, no matter how well-intended, are unhelpful.”

In any case I find it pretty strange that the parents aren't being allowed to decide what to do with their own child.

Shut the fuck up, burrito. Use logic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:46 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
leashyourkids wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Kidney beans would be a bigger help.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:48 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Shut the fuck up, burrito. Use logic.

How were the races?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:50 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Are they paying?

Sometimes.
The answer is sometimes then.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:52 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Are they paying?

Sometimes.
The answer is sometimes then.

You're no fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
SpiralStairs wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Then feel free to eat from a dumpster.

hnd wrote:
Way ahead of you, bro.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:37 am 

SpiralStairs wrote:

Abortion, obviously.