It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/liv ... timer-road

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Yikes. Looks bad.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:24 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Yikes. Looks bad.

They said it started at the bottom and worked its way up. Sounds real bad. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:34 pm 

IMU wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Yikes. Looks bad.

Do you wish Rick was in that building?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:36 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
IMU wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Yikes. Looks bad.

Do you wish Rick was in that building?

:lol:

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
IMU wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Yikes. Looks bad.

its all a matter of perspective. As a Drake song, it sounds pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Yikes. Looks bad.

its all a matter of perspective. As a Drake song, it sounds pretty good.

Damn, one of the other fourtysomething guys beat me to the Drake joke.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:52 pm 

IMU wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Yikes. Looks bad.

Little bowtie on FoxNews reported that it started at the top and somehow worked it's way down, "but not to read anything into that".

Consistency in all things FoxNews :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCw9_avTlYs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:05 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
This blog post was written in November... Holy shit, sounds like the building was a real fire trap.

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.c ... with-fire/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:12 am 

fire started on the 4th floor and took 15 minutes to reach the top floor.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:46 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
This unfortunately just gave Muslim losers a blueprint for destruction, much more effective than a car and knives.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:33 am 

No fire codes. Idiots.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:42 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Looks like either no srinkler system or it malfunctioned. Thats scary, looks like something out of a movie.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:11 am 

London's fire department is going to catch a lot of shit. They were telling people who were in the process of evacuating (and were still able to) to stay in their flats.

"Ines said that firefighters at the bottom of the tower had told her mother, who got down earlier, to pass on a message that they should stay in their flat.

'They told my mum to tell my dad, for us to stay up in our flat safely, just close the windows and all the doors. But she didn’t tell us in time so we ended up coming down anyway. Obviously they never knew it was going to get to this extent.'"

I'm wondering if the cladding they put on the building is the same they are using in Dubai, where a bunch of skyscrapers have gone up in flames

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:21 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
London's fire department is going to catch a lot of shit. They were telling people who were in the process of evacuating (and were still able to) to stay in their flats.

"Ines said that firefighters at the bottom of the tower had told her mother, who got down earlier, to pass on a message that they should stay in their flat.

'They told my mum to tell my dad, for us to stay up in our flat safely, just close the windows and all the doors. But she didn’t tell us in time so we ended up coming down anyway. Obviously they never knew it was going to get to this extent.'"

I'm wondering if the cladding they put on the building is the same they are using in Dubai, where a bunch of skyscrapers have gone up in flames

In New Orleans after Katrina, a lot of the "cladding" on newer high rises had been blown off of newer mid/high rises. That crap looked like little more than painted styrofoam :shock: Made me wonder then...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:22 am 

Just read and see it is the same type of cladding used in the buildings that went up in Dubai. Aluminum Composite Material

Aluminum is really a bad choice. In the 60s the US Navy started using it for the super structure of warships. That practice ended after a few devastating fires (USS Belknap being a notable example).

If you want to know how dangerous aluminum can be in a fire, look at some of the Royal Navy ships in the Falklands. The HMS Sheffield took an Exocet hit. The warhead never exploded, but fuel in the missile started an aluminum fire which sank the ship after burning for 5 days.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:24 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

In New Orleans after Katrina, a lot of the "cladding" on newer high rises had been blown off of newer mid/high rises. That crap looked like little more than painted styrofoam :shock: Made me wonder then...
To be honest, some of those softer claddings that got blown off probably had some deal of fire protection. The type of cladding seen here is not used in the US from what I read in this thread:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1801571

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:37 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
If stairways were full of smoke/fire, than the safest thing to do is generally stay in your apt, and cover all cracks in doors and vents with damp towels or sheets.

This does not appear to be a typical fire, however. Its sort of amazing that the entire structure didn't collapse.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:40 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
If stairways were full of smoke/fire, than the safest thing to do is generally stay in your apt, and cover all cracks in doors and vents with damp towels or sheets.

This does not appear to be a typical fire, however. Its sort of amazing that the entire structure didn't collapse.

I believe this building was basically London's version of a project so the structure was largely concrete as opposed to steel. Probably aided in the support structure surviving the fire. If this were a steel structure, it probably collapses.

Here is a good resource on concrete vs. steel question when building for fire safety.
http://www.buildings.com/article-detail ... ewall/true

If this fire happened 2 years ago before the cladding went up, it's contained to a small blaze.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:14 pm 

Officials think the death toll may jump above 100 when all the bodies are accounted for. :shock: :(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06 ... -grenfell/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:24 pm 

Still better than what I thought it could be initially, based on early reports of eye witnesses seeing "almost no one" come out of the building after it was aflame...and the fact that it started around 1AM or so. I don't know how many units are on each floor but...yikes.

Either way, terrible tragedy and one that it seems like could have been avoided. Like always.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:57 pm 

Watching NHK a few minutes ago, they said the fire spread because of some kind of insulation that has since the building has been built, been disallowed/outlawed because it is so flammable. :shock:

Project folks taking it on the neck, again.

as an aside, German news is on now. To watch their incredulity over Trump is hilarious. Did MAGA really mean laughing stock to THIS degree? JORR? PittMike?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:02 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Watching NHK a few minutes ago, they said the fire spread because of some kind of insulation that has since the building has been built, been disallowed/outlawed because it is so flammable. :shock:

as an aside, German news is on now. To watch their incredulity over Trump is hilarious. Did MAGA really mean laughing stock to THIS degree? JORR? PittMike?

This would be the aforementioned aluminum cladding that I wrote a bit about earlier in the thread. Thankfully it isn't used in the US, but it's common in Europe, East Asia, and places like Dubai.

Not only was it flammable, but the gap between the cladding and the concrete structure created a chimney effect that both spread the fire and built up heat in excess of 1,000 degrees Celsius.

and if you're going to watch foreign news, I'd suggest BBC World over NHK. NHK is fine, but BBC World is incomparable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:44 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Regular Reader wrote:

I must remind you again that while I cannot speak for the puppet master I did not vote for Trump. Like many, I only need him to do select things I am behind. HRC would accomplish none. So if you get rid of him and even Pence I am good. With Ryan I can get what I want as well. Germany, the media and all of you guys here having issues with Trump and making yourselves crazy affects me at zero on a scale of ten.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:12 pm 

pizza_Place: John's

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:29 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Jeremy Corbyn says he wants to put the residents of the tower up in the condos that rich foreigners buy but leave vacant as a money-sheltering scheme. Do I think that this has any chance whatsoever of happening? No. Do I think it's awesome that he said it? Hell yes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:39 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

Congrats, you just discovered the structural differences between poured concrete and steel.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:37 am 

The most shocking thing in the aftermath of this is how they are downplaying the death toll.

They know at this point 100+ are dead yet they are still trying to run with their 30 dead as of today. The media knows the real story there. They have spoken with the firefighters and other 1st responders. Yet they keep towing the line of waiting for the coroner to confirm each death individually.

That would never fly with the US media. They would have a graphic on the bottom of the screen screaming in large type what the death toll is estimated as. It's making me question how independent the UK press really is.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The most shocking thing in the aftermath of this is how they are downplaying the death toll.

They know at this point 100+ are dead yet they are still trying to run with their 30 dead as of today. The media knows the real story there. They have spoken with the firefighters and other 1st responders. Yet they keep towing the line of waiting for the coroner to confirm each death individually.

That would never fly with the US media. They would have a graphic on the bottom of the screen screaming in large type what the death toll is estimated as. It's making me question how independent the UK press really is.

:lol:

Isn't that the responsible thing to do?