It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Otto Warmbier
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Islam was never under attack in Saudi Arabia.

I think you're misunderstanding what bin Laden viewed as "under attack". He considered the very presence of infidel troops so close to the "holy cities" an affront to Islam.

He would have warred with Iraq if Iraq had invaded though. Iraq had Muslim soldiers obviously. If it were simply about infidel Americans and their religion why did he seek to take on Iraq?.

You realize the Baathist ideology was secular, right?

Syria is ruled by a Baath party as well and there's a reason Al Qaeda and similar groups are not on the side of the regime.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:19 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
He also wanted Iraqi/Muslim troops out also fool. He would not have accepted Iraqi troops on the ground either. He wanted to war with them too. You conveniently omit this from Your "analysis". You cite a damn article from 96 when everything Anti American dates back to 91. His first anti American rants began then. It was related to the Persian Gulf War. It wasn't an inherent hatred of Christianity. You along with a few other ignorant fools can form whatever message board consensus you like. I could care less. I read and I analyze.

No one has remotely tried to make this argument. You also do not understand that there is a major civil war going on between different sects of Islam.

Also, I did not present an "article" I provided what is called a primary source document that provides his motivate for hating the US. All of these are religious in origin.

Rather than name call, why don't you try to discuss actual facts? What's up with the hostility?

I'm tired of the "resident board historian" angle you have been trying to work. Every time you disagree about something of a historical nature you play the card. I could easily refute the stuff from 96 as propaganda. Bin Laden began hating the US in 91 and there are direct quotes primary sources which support it also. They are ignored because the need to present the religious angle is ever present.

How are you going to refute a primary source? This is not an article taking a stance. Unless you have a statement from him saying this was a lie, and I really was not motivated by these stated reasons then you are claiming the ability to understand his thoughts better than his public statements.

The rest of what you said shows that you have decided to start an argument for reasons other than the facts to win some board pissing contest that you perceive but doesn't exist.

Bin Laden was motivated by the teaching of his religion. Unless you can show something that says otherwise-it's the only binding thread in his actions. He was not it in for nationalism, monetary gain or personal comfort. He lived on the run fighting the west and in some cases other Muslims because of the manner in which he believed Islam should be practiced.

I stated that he targeted America because they had troops on the ground in Arabia. He said that he targeted the America because they had troops on the ground in Arabia. That interview in case you didnt know checks of the primary source box also. As such it supports earlier claims (1991) which state that he targeted the U.S. because he didn't want them on Arabian soil.

He made no mention of targeting Americans because they were Christians. When he referenced infidels he spoke of American troops. His war a political not religious war. This propaganda campaign regarding religion needs to cease and desist. 90% of Middle East is probably Muslim. If a soldier is fighting against the U.S. chances are they will be Muslim. If it is about Islam then why aren't their many Indonesians joining the cause?

For some reason that gets overlooked. Same thing with N.Korea. The reason that they have the U.S. in their crosshairs is because thousands of troops are stationed in S.Korea. I don't know why this is so difficult to understand.

Why is Arabia soil sacred though? You are flat-out ignoring this. And you keep saying Christians. You have no idea what you are talking about, and you would be dismissed from any serious conversation in an academic setting.

Another personal shot. You really don't have much to add dude. Saudi Arabia was never under attack so there was no need for Bin Laden to defend it. He just provided his rationale in an interview. It supports what i said.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:23 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I think you're misunderstanding what bin Laden viewed as "under attack". He considered the very presence of infidel troops so close to the "holy cities" an affront to Islam.

He would have warred with Iraq if Iraq had invaded though. Iraq had Muslim soldiers obviously. If it were simply about infidel Americans and their religion why did he seek to take on Iraq?.

Syria is ruled by a Baath party as well and there's a reason Al Qaeda and similar groups are not on the side of the regime.

I don't think that the average American knows that bombing Assad four years ago was defending Al Aqueda at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:25 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Baath was the name of Hussein's political party. Yes I do. Hussein was still a Muslim. He wasn't a fanatic however. That's my point. Iraqis were overwhelmingly Muslim and yet Bin Laden was willing to war with them too. It is disingenuous to suggest that Bin Laden was motivated by religion when he was perfectly willing to war with fellow Muslims too. He had an affinity for Saudi Arabia because the Monarchy were the chief benefactors for his father. His family's wealth was due to connections that his father had to the Saudi Monarchy.

As you said yesterday religion has been used for recruitment purposes. His aims were always political though.

Did he believe that Saudi Arabian land was sacred? Sure he did but he was opposed to American occupation of it. It would be no different if a foreign military attempted to setup shop in the U.S.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:43 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
long time guy wrote:
Did he believe that Saudi Arabian land was sacred? Sure he did but he was opposed to American occupation of it. It would be no different if a foreign military attempted to setup shop in the U.S.

Now you're playing very loose with the term "occupation".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:43 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

How so?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
long time guy wrote:

Another personal shot. You really don't have much to add dude. Saudi Arabia was never under attack so there was no need for Bin Laden to defend it. He just provided his rationale in an interview. It supports what i said.

It's not a personal shot. That would be your name-calling. You keep repeating the same arguments without context. Under attack is addressed in his Fatwa. He said the Saudis were betraying Islam.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:49 am 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

How so?

You're suggesting that the U.S. military is "occupying" Saudi Arabia.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:51 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

How so?

You're right. Would this country allow any foreign military to have a base here?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:54 am 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

How so?

You're right. Would this country allow any foreign military to have a base here?

The word "allow" being critical. I'm sure you understand that the connotation of "occupied" is involuntary.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:32 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
He also wanted Iraqi/Muslim troops out also fool. He would not have accepted Iraqi troops on the ground either. He wanted to war with them too. You conveniently omit this from Your "analysis". You cite a damn article from 96 when everything Anti American dates back to 91. His first anti American rants began then. It was related to the Persian Gulf War. It wasn't an inherent hatred of Christianity. You along with a few other ignorant fools can form whatever message board consensus you like. I could care less. I read and I analyze.

No one has remotely tried to make this argument. You also do not understand that there is a major civil war going on between different sects of Islam.

Also, I did not present an "article" I provided what is called a primary source document that provides his motivate for hating the US. All of these are religious in origin.

Rather than name call, why don't you try to discuss actual facts? What's up with the hostility?

I'm tired of the "resident board historian" angle you have been trying to work. Every time you disagree about something of a historical nature you play the card. I could easily refute the stuff from 96 as propaganda. Bin Laden began hating the US in 91 and there are direct quotes primary sources which support it also. They are ignored because the need to present the religious angle is ever present.

How are you going to refute a primary source? This is not an article taking a stance. Unless you have a statement from him saying this was a lie, and I really was not motivated by these stated reasons then you are claiming the ability to understand his thoughts better than his public statements.

The rest of what you said shows that you have decided to start an argument for reasons other than the facts to win some board pissing contest that you perceive but doesn't exist.

Bin Laden was motivated by the teaching of his religion. Unless you can show something that says otherwise-it's the only binding thread in his actions. He was not it in for nationalism, monetary gain or personal comfort. He lived on the run fighting the west and in some cases other Muslims because of the manner in which he believed Islam should be practiced.

I stated that he targeted America because they had troops on the ground in Arabia. He said that he targeted the America because they had troops on the ground in Arabia. That interview in case you didnt know checks of the primary source box also. As such it supports earlier claims (1991) which state that he targeted the U.S. because he didn't want them on Arabian soil.

He made no mention of targeting Americans because they were Christians. When he referenced infidels he spoke of American troops. His war a political not religious war. This propaganda campaign regarding religion needs to cease and desist. 90% of Middle East is probably Muslim. If a soldier is fighting against the U.S. chances are they will be Muslim. If it is about Islam then why aren't their many Indonesians joining the cause?

For some reason that gets overlooked. Same thing with N.Korea. The reason that they have the U.S. in their crosshairs is because thousands of troops are stationed in S.Korea. I don't know why this is so difficult to understand.

Why is Arabia soil sacred though? You are flat-out ignoring this. And you keep saying Christians. You have no idea what you are talking about, and you would be dismissed from any serious conversation in an academic setting.

:lol: Sure I would

How is this for primary sourced document?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/ ... heobserver

His motivation was based primarily on his belief that the U.S. had been military aggressors throughout much of its modern history.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:

Here are the first two paragraphs:

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful,
"Permission to fight (against disbelievers) is given to those (believers) who are fought against, because they have been wronged and surely, Allah is Able to give them (believers) victory" [Quran 22:39]

"Those who believe, fight in the Cause of Allah, and those who disbelieve, fight in the cause of Taghut (anything worshipped other than Allah e.g. Satan). So fight you against the friends of Satan; ever feeble is indeed the plot of Satan."[Quran 4:76]

I don't think you're making the argument you believe you are.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:49 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

"Permission to fight (against disbelievers) is given to those (believers) who are fought against, because they have been wronged and surely, Allah is Able to give them (believers) victory" [Quran 22:39]

"Those who believe, fight in the Cause of Allah, and those who disbelieve, fight in the cause of Taghut (anything worshipped other than Allah e.g. Satan). So fight you against the friends of Satan; ever feeble is indeed the plot of Satan."[Quran 4:76]

My basic point is that Bin Laden wasn't interested in destroying American way of life or its religions. He wasn't on a religious crusade either. His opposition to the U.S. was based on U.S. foreign policy. It wasn't based on U.S. customs or some passage from the Koran. He pivoted after the Gulf War towards the U.S. his argument was centered on policy not religion.

He clearly details why he wanted to war with the U.S. if it were about religion then he would not have used US aggression in the region as his baseline. If there is a religious rationale the emphasis that he places on it is clearly secondary.

I could find passages from the Constitution that are clearly derived from the bible does it mean that the Constitution was based on it?

Last edited by long time guy on Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:52 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

My basic point is that Bin Laden wasn't interested in destroying American way of life or it's religion. He wasn't on a religious crusade either. His opposition to the U.S. was based on U.S. foreign policy. It wasn't based on U.S. customs or some passage from the Koran. He pivoted after the Gulf War towards the U.S. his argument was centered on policy not religion.

Did Bin Laden also feel that Israel has no right to exist?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:54 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

My basic point is that Bin Laden wasn't interested in destroying American way of life or it's religion. He wasn't on a religious crusade either. His opposition to the U.S. was based on U.S. foreign policy. It wasn't based on U.S. customs or some passage from the Koran. He pivoted after the Gulf War towards the U.S. his argument was centered on policy not religion.

What do you mean by also?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:58 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Well, you don't believe that Israel has a right to exist in the Middle East. I was wondering if Bin Laden shared your assessment.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:
If there is a religious rationale the emphasis that he places on it is clearly secondary.

This is clearly misguided. There is nothing the man did in his life where his religion was secondary. He could hardly complete a sentence without "Allah" in it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Anybody ever hear the bit where bin laden supposedly had a thing for Nicole Kidman? He used to keep a few playboys in his briefcase? CIA asset name Tim Osman?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:24 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
If there is a religious rationale the emphasis that he places on it is clearly secondary.

This is clearly misguided. There is nothing the man did in his life where his religion was secondary. He could hardly complete a sentence without "Allah" in it.

It doesn't supersede the fact regarding US intervention in the Middle East. You're speculating and I'm not. He clearly outlined where his motivation lie.

Continuing to focus on the religious aspect is a mistake. I could easily make the argument that Bush attacked Hussein for religious reasons. I'd be wrong just like you and others continue to be about this.

The religious angle is played by people because it is the only angle that they can play. There is nothing just about US intervention in the Middle East. Nothing. People in the US mostly ignore it. They have to live with it everyday. Terrorist are created from this intervention. Because we in this country ignore it doesn't mean that they will.

Last edited by long time guy on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:25 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Well, you don't believe that Israel has a right to exist in the Middle East. I was wondering if Bin Laden shared your assessment.

Funny have you conflate Palestine with the entire Middle East. Typical spin job. Unsurprising though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:29 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Funny have you conflate Palestine with the entire Middle East. Typical spin job. Unsurprising though.
My mistake. Where in the Middle East should Israel be?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:41 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

It shouldn't be on the land where Palestinians resided. My views are known and not going to change.

What are yours by the way? Should that land have been taken from Palestinians for the purpose of establishing an Israeli state?

I'm not going to get into a drawn out discussion either.

As far as where an Israeli should have been. Any area where indigenous people didn't reside.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:49 pm 

You told me it was a spin job. Where in the Middle East?

Israel is good where it is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:51 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

It shouldn't be on the land where Palestinians resided. My views are known and not going to change.

What are yours by the way? Should that land have been taken from Palestinians for the purpose of establishing an Israeli state?

I'm not going to get into a drawn out discussion either.

As far as where an Israeli should have been. Any area where indigenous people didn't reside.

You realize the lands given to Israel in the partition were lands where 1: Jews were the majority and 2: lands the Arabs could've stayed on had they accepted partition.

They rejected partition and instead went to war. What isn't mentioned by the likes of you is that 850,000 Jews were expelled from Arab lands after the 1948 war. The only reason they did not become refugees is that Israel absorbed them and made them at home. Too bad the Arabs couldn't extend the same courtesy for their own brothers who fled at the urging of the Egyptian army.

There would be a Palestinian state today had they accepted partition (ditto for the Peel commission draft prior to partition).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:54 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Ok. If it requires taking land from people that are already there then no. If it is uninhabited then yes. It's that simple.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:55 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Ok. If it requires taking land from people that are already there then no. If it is uninhabited then yes. It's that simple.

No land had to be taken to create Israel. The Arabs living within Israel's border would've been able to stay had they accepted partition (those Arabs who did accept it did stay and now make up a sizable portion of Israel's population, especially in the Northern half of the country).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:55 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

So where in the Middle East qualifies?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:05 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Let's cut to the chase. I know your angle and it's not working. Israel has a right to exist. If it requires taking land from people then it doesn't. A Jewish State should not have been created on land that was inhabited by other people. It's that simple. I'm not engaging any further on this subject.

If you want to address what I said about Bin Laden then fine if not have a good one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:07 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Let's cut to the chase. I know your angle and it's not working. Israel has a right to exist. If it requires taking land from people then it doesn't. A Jewish State should not have been created on land that was inhabited by other people. It's that simple. I'm not engaging any further on this subject.

If you want to address what I said about Bin Laden then fine if not have a good one.

What land was taken from people to create the partition? I don't think any person lost their land on the drawing of partition. Arabs on the Israeli side still had their land and if they did not flee at the urging for an Egyptian Army (which wanted the land clear for a war of annihilation) they could've stayed. Many Arabs did and they/their descendants now make up the 1.5+ million Israeli Arabs who enjoy rights no other Arab in the Middle East has.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:08 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Don't call me out for a spin job and then prove what I said was correct. It's that simple.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next