It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
veganfan21 wrote:

We had video game systems in those days and we certainly spent a lot of time on those things. But we also made sure to get out a lot and play sports. We made fun of the guys who spent all day and night in front of a screen.

That's just it, the same guys that played baseball and shit all day (up through high school for most of us), would hang out together at night at someone's house in the summer and play Nintendo or Genesis...I was in high school when Goldeneye came out on N64 - we'd get together and play baseball or basketball all day, grab dinner at home, then go to my buddy Stump's house (he had the good weed) and play Goldeneye all fucking night. When we got to working age, we'd go over after someone got off work...hell, his mom would let us in to go start playing before he'd get home from work.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
my dad talks about when we were kids that in the summer or whenever, you'd drive by a ball diamond and there would be kids in it. drive by a park and kids would be playing football. today you never see it. he mentioned it a few years back and i started to notice he was right.

most of the diamonds we used to play on as kids are now club diamonds with "no non club use allowed" signs on them. its absurd.

we all still had nintendo back then but yeah it was a night activity.

we had so many fun games. homerun derby, tennis ball dodgeball, obviously baseball, football, 21.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
hnd wrote:
my dad talks about when we were kids that in the summer or whenever, you'd drive by a ball diamond and there would be kids in it. drive by a park and kids would be playing football. today you never see it. he mentioned it a few years back and i started to notice he was right.

most of the diamonds we used to play on as kids are now club diamonds with "no non club use allowed" signs on them. its absurd.

we all still had nintendo back then but yeah it was a night activity.

we had so many fun games. homerun derby, tennis ball dodgeball, obviously baseball, football, 21.

We used to play tennis ball home run derby on the courts at the park.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
When there were enough kids we would play tennis baseball and use a racket instead of a bat at. At home we would do a homerun derby called roof ball with a tennis ball and bat. A homerun was over the roof and as we aged we just kept moving further and further away. House was on a slight hill so you really had to get some elevation. Also had trees to knock it down. If ball did not hit roof or go over it was an out. You could hit the ball a mile to left but it was an out as the roof was non existent.

When you got really bored you tried imitating stances and going through lineups bating both lefty and righty. Not a lot of homerun hit by a lefty. Have enough people and you had fielders that could catch the ball thus ending your turn. It was fun but aged out around 8th grade as power became a bit much and we ran out of yard.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
funny that we all used different stances, switch batted, threw submarine, whatever. But a professional ballplayer can't make a minor adjustment without everything going to shit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:31 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hatchetman wrote:
funny that we all used different stances, switch batted, threw submarine, whatever. But a professional ballplayer can't make a minor adjustment without everything going to shit.

Bob Cousy made adjustments all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I should have said "in the modern era"

I remember Cal Ripken used to have a new stance evey day.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
we would play homerun derby many different ways. but we loved wiffle ball too.

homerun derby for us was everyone got to make contact 10 times. with aluminum and actual baseballs. everyone who wasn't hitting or pitching would stand in homerun territory behind the fence. if you hit a homerun and it wasn't caught you got 3 points, if you hit a homerun and it was caught you got 1 point. we would play that every day in the summer on these little tball fields.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Had a big yard growing up in Riverwoods so our backyard became the neighborhood tennis ball baseball field. Eventually we took duct tape and taped a home run fence 5 feet off the ground from tree to tree on the woods that abutted our backyard. I'm sure my parents loved that.

Later when we got older our driveway became the place to hang out over summers back from college with lots of beer drinking and games of horse.

When I was younger, the private country club across the street was our playground. We'd sneak on there all the time and play golf, bb gun fights and basically anything else we could think of.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies

I'm out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
:lol:

That's DT quality.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Hatchetman wrote:

Hell yeah. I can pitch sidearm or submarine style.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:47 pm 

Chus wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

I honestly think that since I often throw sidearm(damn rotator cuff) & occasionally submarine, my oldest mimicked it and never really had a consistent release point as he grew older. Shitty "pitching" coaches never got him over it.

I forget who mentioned above, but as a 50 yr old with 70 yr old's knees, I am not really looking back fondly on playing/running so much on concrete.

It is funny to look back on all the times by buddy & I spent trying to copy pros batting stances. As a then short kid, mine was Rickey Henderson to draw walks & stay back, as an old fart it used to be Pops Stargell. bat waving and all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:
Chus wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

I honestly think that since I often throw sidearm(damn rotator cuff) & occasionally submarine, my oldest mimicked it and never really had a consistent release point as he grew older. Shitty "pitching" coaches never got him over it.

I forget who mentioned above, but as a 50 yr old with 70 yr old's knees, I am not really looking back fondly on playing/running so much on concrete.

It is funny to look back on all the times by buddy & I spent trying to copy pros batting stances. As a then short kid, mine was Rickey Henderson to draw walks & stay back, as an old fart it used to be Pops Stargell. bat waving and all.

Griffey Jr. I heard AP uses that stance when he's disciplining his kids.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:13 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Griffey Jr. I heard AP uses that stance when he's disciplining his kids.

I shouldn't, but :lol: :oops:

And as a Saints fan, I really don't like his pointless signing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
During grade school and junior high, the beginning of summer was the shit. My cousin, my buddy, and I would just dream up shit to do. We lived in a town of 200, so we had to use our imaginations. The nice thing was that the town was ours... It's not like we were gonna run into someone we didn't know.

We would ride our bikes all over, out into the country and back, and then to the baseball diamond. We'd call a few people and play baseball (with indian runners). We would prop our bikes up in rows and use them as a tennis net. We would call a few more people and play football or smear the queer. We would go to the local creek and fish with the most fucked up and simple fishing poles you could dream of. We would stop into one of our houses at lunch and see what we could scrape together that tasted decent. We would pick on the local kid who had issues and lock him in my cousin's pheasant cage during mating season.

Anyone whose childhood wasn't filled with excitement and creativity and mischief really missed out. Those were some of the best times of my life.

Back to the rain...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
We would be out of the house by 10am at the latest and wouldn't be home until 7 or 8pm.

Riding bikes, playing swift against the school wall and baseball at the park, whatever. We were always outside and rarely did our parents see us all day.

I think of that now and can't imagine not having an idea where my kid was all day.

Simpler times.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I know every generation reminisces, but it truly does feel now like kids are missing out. It just can't be good to stare at screens all day and have very little face-to-face interaction. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the singularity is coming and it won't matter.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
We would be out of the house by 10am at the latest and wouldn't be home until 7 or 8pm.

Riding bikes, playing swift against the school wall and baseball at the park, whatever. We were always outside and rarely did our parents see us all day.

I think of that now and can't imagine not having an idea where my kid was all day.

Simpler times.

Probably at msfmb

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
veganfan21 wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Simpler times.

Probably at msfmb

MANY people are saying that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:46 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
During grade school and junior high, the beginning of summer was the shit. My cousin, my buddy, and I would just dream up shit to do. We lived in a town of 200, so we had to use our imaginations. The nice thing was that the town was ours... It's not like we were gonna run into someone we didn't know.

We would ride our bikes all over, out into the country and back, and then to the baseball diamond. We'd call a few people and play baseball (with indian runners). We would prop our bikes up in rows and use them as a tennis net. We would call a few more people and play football or smear the queer. We would go to the local creek and fish with the most fucked up and simple fishing poles you could dream of. We would stop into one of our houses at lunch and see what we could scrape together that tasted decent. We would pick on the local kid who had issues and lock him in my cousin's pheasant cage during mating season.

Anyone whose childhood wasn't filled with excitement and creativity and mischief really missed out. Those were some of the best times of my life.

Back to the rain...

I do think about this. I left home at 11 or so and either rode to the local pool and such or hiked through the woods to a friends, usually ditching the bike at the edge of the woods to be retrieved latter. Yeah, we had our sports games but we played massive games of hide n seek over 20 acre areas or going to an old abandoned rock quarry and swimming or climbing the walls over the water and jumping in. Fishing. Parents wouldn't see us most days till dinner. Amazes me sometimes the changes. It was a glorious childhood and if I could raise my children in that environment again I'd be a happy man.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
We used to play football and whiffle ball in front of the church by my house. Periodically the pastor would show up in his station wagon and run us off. Eventually he planted trees down the center of the field to permanently quash the games. To this day I find it odd that he was bothered so much by a seemingly wholesome youthful activity.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:24 pm 

Not enough sky points after strikeouts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
I think we were 12 or so. A bunch of us would get together most summer days to play pick up baseball. Well, my buddy's dad got wind of it. Showed up one day and took our bats away until we agreed to wear helmets during our pick up games. Our lobbing baseball games. We obliged. Had no choice. He died a couple years later from cancer. Not related, I presume.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
redskingreg wrote:
I think we were 12 or so. A bunch of us would get together most summer days to play pick up baseball. Well, my buddy's dad got wind of it. Showed up one day and took our bats away until we agreed to wear helmets during our pick up games. Our lobbing baseball games. We obliged. Had no choice. He died a couple years later from cancer. Not related, I presume.

Are you sure it wasn't CTE?