It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:50 pm 

Going from street to street playing other kids was some of the greatest sports memories I have. I kinda feel bad for kids today as it seems like a foregone era.

By listening these days I sincerely doubt most current broadcasters can appreciate that. We probably knew more about game as kids than these guys do. I still remember what guys from other blocks could do and how to try to stop them. Football baseball and basketball. God it was a blast ringing your guys doorbells to go crush kids from Paxton or Oglesby.

Seemed like every block had a D1 or pro in waiting. And our neighborhood All Star wasn't unstoppable

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Agreed.

From playing 4 corner wiffle ball to football in the street, it was always a lot of fun. Luckily kids still do that in the neighborhood.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Regular Reader wrote:
Going from street to street playing other kids was some of the greatest sports memories I have. I kinda feel bad for kids today as it seems like a foregone era.

By listening these days I sincerely doubt most current broadcasters can appreciate that. We probably knew more about game as kids than these guys do. I still remember what guys from other blocks could do and how to try to stop them. Football baseball and basketball. God it was a blast ringing your guys doorbells to go crush kids from Paxton or Oglesby.

Seemed like every block had a D1 or pro in waiting. And our neighborhood All Star wasn't unstoppable

Ever see a creepy old guy sitting in his garage in the rain waiting for you to hit a ball in his yard?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
My block only had four boys but we created a bunch of games, the two most popular were "punt" and "minibaseball" Punt, was a one on one football game that involved self passes and kicking onto the side of a house. Minibaseball was a one on one baseball came, one out per half inning with self pitch, fake throws to first and a trunkated field.

Kids today are very structured in terms of time without much free time. Boredom is good, it allows for creativity.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:59 pm 

:lol: :lol:

Poor leash

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Ever see a creepy old guy sitting in his garage in the rain waiting for you to hit a ball in his yard?

:lol:

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:02 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

No. Just the jackass whose backyard provided the right center fence and who locked his gate then called the police to complain when we'd hop his 6' fence :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:05 pm 

So what replaced playing sports outside with friends? Video games?

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:06 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:07 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:

Phone, ipod, laptop, video games.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:08 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:

For a lot of kids it did, as well as the heavy scheduling for kids cut out a lot of free time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:23 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

For a lot of kids it did, as well as the heavy scheduling for kids cut out a lot of free time.

And that parents no longer know the difference between being hurt vs injured. Most kids don't have the same motivation to play for friends and will sit quickly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:24 pm 

i still play with my guys but as a kid i could get it up by just flicking them a little with my ring finger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I can take it, guys. Just one more reason I'll never truly be happy. Even internet people don't like me. One more reason to watch the rain.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:32 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
leashyourkids wrote:
I can take it, guys. Just one more reason I'll never truly be happy. Even internet people don't like me. One more reason to watch the rain.

This post is a white woman throwing a drink in your face from a beardown facsimile.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:35 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

The hell's wrong with you? It's like The Cocteau Twins have taken over your account.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Thought this was a thread about masturbating as a yute.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:45 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

How in the hell do you expect to win poster of the year with this mealy mouthed crap? Strap up and get back in the game son :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:46 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Thought this was a thread about masturbating as a yute.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:48 pm 

Darkside wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

This post is a white woman throwing a drink in your face from a beardown facsimile.

This should not go unnoticed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
I thought this was going to be about adolescent masturbation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:59 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Great post RR. Used to play all the courts around the Elmwood Park area. I wasn't smart enough to play for money, but a friend and I were able to mostly rule our court, so long as the Chicago kids didn't cross Harlem.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:22 pm 

Psycory wrote:
Kids today are very structured in terms of time without much free time. Boredom is good, it allows for creativity.

The games we created are hilarious in retrospect. One of ours involved playing a version of strikeout with a tin foil wrapped ping pong ball (they cracked too quickly otherwise) with the toy giveaway bats in my buddy's basement in the dead of winter.

His stepdad just sat there at his bar laughing and drinking homemade wine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:38 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Just the other side of the Canal in Skokie there was what my dad would have called a "prairie" on the southwest corner or Trumbull and Crain. We just called it the Empty Lot or just "the Empty". As in, "Let's meet up at the Empty." We played all kinds of games in that lot. Mostly football. Larry and Mike Axelrood were the best athletes in the neighborhood. Larry was a few years older than we were and I was always afraid of him. He's a Cook County judge now. If you knew him as a kid you would find that hard to believe.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:46 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Caller Bob wrote:

I thought it would be about scratching your balls.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
veganfan21 wrote:

For my nephew, this was it. Kid is almost 17 and can't throw a fucking baseball. Runs like a duck, too...

Man, I grew up right across the street from Frontier Park in Arlington...on the field side, we had free run of the softball diamond all damn day in the summer...until about 5:30 when actual practices would start. When they would mow and line the field for soccer, we would use the lines and play football in them. Those were the days...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:53 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Just the other side of the Canal in Skokie there was what my dad would have called a "prairie" on the southwest corner or Trumbull and Crain. We just called it the Empty Lot or just "the Empty". As in, "Let's meet up at the Empty." We played all kinds of games in that lot. Mostly football. Larry and Mike Axelrood were the best athletes in the neighborhood. Larry was a few years older than we were and I was always afraid of him. He's a Cook County judge now. If you knew him as a kid you would find that hard to believe.

We also had a double empty lot near us we called a prairie. Weird now to think of it that way but sure were memories.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:06 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

For my nephew, this was it. Kid is almost 17 and can't throw a fucking baseball. Runs like a duck, too...

Man, I grew up right across the street from Frontier Park in Arlington...on the field side, we had free run of the softball diamond all damn day in the summer...until about 5:30 when actual practices would start. When they would mow and line the field for soccer, we would use the lines and play football in them. Those were the days...

Yup. Sounds like my youth. Lived in a developing neighborhood so there was plenty of open grass. Used that for baseball, football, and soccer, sometimes all three in one day. Especially in the summer. Then an elementary school was built nearby which had new basketball hoops with chain nets. We thought we were so hard playing on that concrete court with chain nets. Right in the middle of the court was a painting of the school mascot - an asexual teddy bear.

We had video game systems in those days and we certainly spent a lot of time on those things. But we also made sure to get out a lot and play sports. We made fun of the guys who spent all day and night in front of a screen. Now it seems like the new normal. On the other hand those nerds are probably the Mark Zuckerbergs of today, and here I am sitting down thinking about that one time I made some guy fall down while crossing him over on that court.

2013 CSFMB ROY