It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Manslaughter for Texts?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/16/us/michel ... index.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Guilty as charged. She practically begged her boyfriend to commit suicide. She than reaped the benefits of becoming more popular by showing up at benefits and charity functions as "his girlfriend'.

She is sick and twisted and needs some time away.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:32 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
Guilty as charged. She practically begged her boyfriend to commit suicide. She than reaped the benefits of becoming more popular by showing up at benefits and charity functions as "his girlfriend'.

She is definitely a sociopath. Just seems like quite a precedent.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
leashyourkids wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

Tweets can now be classified as deadly weapons, so...yeah. It's unnerving, to be sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Better not tell anyone to die in a fire anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:35 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
If it were 'Manslaughter for Posts', we would have MANY funerals here. So long Caller Bob, Hawaii You, spmack, Beerfan, and Elmhurst Steve

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Yes,it is. An interesting case but very tragic. She could have went 100% the other way and save that young kid's life.

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Encouraging someone you know is suicidal to commit suicide. Definitely reckless.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:36 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Better not tell anyone to die in a fire anymore.

That's actually one of the first things I thought of.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
IMU may want to delete his deathwish thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:38 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

It's not really a precedent. The courts seem to have decided to treat electronic communication the same as older forms of communication. It was like if she had been in the next room talking to him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Prosecutors had argued that Carter sent Roy numerous text messages urging him to commit suicide, listened over the phone as he suffocated, and failed to alert authorities or his family that he'd died. The judge agreed.

Eh.

"This court has found that Carter's actions and failure to act where it was her self-created duty to Roy since she put him in that toxic environment constituted reckless conduct," the judge said. "The court finds that the conduct caused the death of Mr. Roy."

I haven't seen the texts and don't know that I'd be that innerested in seeing them, but that seems like some dubious 'logic'.

Roy aspired to be a tugboat captain ...

Well now, that's a pretty clear indicator of him being non compos mentis, so maybe she can be faulted for leading him down that dark path after all.

My uninformed, knee-jerk reaction to this is I don't much care for this conviction. I also hate - like, as in vitriolic hate - the word 'toxic' ... so I'm therefore inclined to dislike the judge immensely for that alone.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

It's not really a precedent. The courts seem to have decided to treat electronic communication the same as older forms of communication. It was like if she had been in the next room talking to him.

Right, but if I tell you to kill yourself and you do, have I committed a crime? We're talking about the order, not the medium via which it was issued.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Don Tiny wrote:
Prosecutors had argued that Carter sent Roy numerous text messages urging him to commit suicide, listened over the phone as he suffocated, and failed to alert authorities or his family that he'd died. The judge agreed.

Eh.

"This court has found that Carter's actions and failure to act where it was her self-created duty to Roy since she put him in that toxic environment constituted reckless conduct," the judge said. "The court finds that the conduct caused the death of Mr. Roy."

I haven't seen the texts and don't know that I'd be that innerested in seeing them, but that seems like some dubious 'logic'.

Roy aspired to be a tugboat captain ...

Well now, that's a pretty clear indicator of him being non compos mentis, so maybe she can be faulted for leading him down that dark path after all.

My uninformed, knee-jerk reaction to this is I don't much care for this conviction. I also hate - like, as in vitriolic hate - the word 'toxic' ... so I'm therefore inclined to dislike the judge immensely for that alone.

I read this story a couple of weeks ago and she coached him. The texts would probably make you sick.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Not sure about this, but dude was actively trying to kill himself and she did not alert proper authorities. Is that not some sort of crime?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:44 pm 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

Right, but if I tell you to kill yourself and you do, have I committed a crime? We're talking about the order, not the medium via which it was issued.

What she did was different than you telling a guy to go fuck himself. I think if you get a chance to read the texts you would agree.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:46 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Well, if you and me were in the same room, and you said it, and I told you I was not only going to do it, and I explained I actually was doing it, and you did nothing to stop it, and went as far as continuing to encourage me to do so, then it seems like you would have committed a crime.

The texting doesn't change that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
Not sure about this, but dude was actively trying to kill himself and she did not alert proper authorities. Is that not some sort of crime?

I don't think it should be. There are many people who, if I saw them committing suicide, I would walk right past.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

I don't think it should be. There are many people who, if I saw them committing suicide, I would walk right past.

I'm not asking if it should be I am wondering if it is.

There are a lot of people here who are fine basing legal rulings on emotions. If your response is "Yeah, but the texts were really bad...", that's not a logical argument. It's an emotional one, and it has no place inside a courtroom.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Not trying to be judgmental, but that makes you a pretty horrid person.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

From what it looks like though she helped to exacerbate the situation even when it was clear he was a real danger to himself. That makes it different than just letting it happen.

100000 CLUB

Here are the messages

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox25bosto ... /532942907

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Nas wrote:

What she did was different than you telling a guy to go fuck himself. I think if you get a chance to read the texts you would agree.

Yeah, the way she pushed at him to go through with it...complete with a (and I'm paraphrasing) "get back in there and finish it" when he got out of the cab of the truck because he was afraid to kill himself.

The linked story really doesn't show how depraved this girl's attitude really was towards this.

She was charged as a juvenile, so I guess she'll be out at 21?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I read the texts. She's just dumb, that's it. At first she wanted him to get mental help but then once she saw he had no interest in doing that, she encouraged him to kill himself because she honestly thought it would help. In her twisted mind it was how he could finally stop hurting.

Very odd and uncomfortable reading those texts. I kinda figured she bullied him into it but in her mind she was just trying to help.

She shouldn't go to jail for this.

Definitely a dumbass who needs mental help though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:52 pm 

Nas wrote:

They're hideous, for sure. He still committed the act, though. I don't like the path we go down when we can say people can control others with their mind.

What if Caller Bob wrote me a PM and said he was going to end it all, and I responded with "DO IT!" and he did it? Am I now guilty of manslaughter?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Shut up. People die every day and you don't do shit about it either.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:54 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Shut up. People die every day and you don't do shit about it either.

I would stop, or try to stop someone from suicide. Even Frank. Every human has a role in society. (except feminists)

leashyourkids wrote:
There are a lot of people here who are fine basing legal rulings on emotions. If your response is "Yeah, but the texts were really bad...", that's not a logical argument. It's an emotional one, and it has no place inside a courtroom.
It's not emotions. She was an active participant in getting him to do it. Imagine if instead of a suicide this was about her encouraging him to kill one of her ex-boyfriends? Should she not be charged with a crime?

Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

From what it looks like though she helped to exacerbate the situation even when it was clear he was a real danger to himself. That makes it different than just letting it happen.

I'm not arguing that she isn't a horrible person. I'm just wondering if IMU will be in trouble if you decide to self-immolate.