It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:02 pm 

ChiefWampum wrote:
That all makes sense to us and I understand where that reasoning is coming from. However, the jury needs proof. I'm sure some here have served on an actual case (and I'm sure there are some attorneys here as well). I was on a jury about two years ago for a gun-related offense. It requires a lot to return a guilty verdict, and the judge makes that abundantly clear. You can only decide based on evidence, not based on hearsay or what you think may have been motivating the person. While your reasons make sense, it's not exactly proof that he didn't reach for his gun. Something as simple as that can derail a jury (or juror, for that matter).
The problem is that the cops "motivations" also shouldn't matter then. The defense was literally "I was scared so I shot him 7 times".

The problem is that cops aren't treated as normal people in these trials. They are given benefits of the doubt that are laughable if anyone else was doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:04 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
The cop says do not pull out the gun as the guy is reaching for it. Clearly the guy panicked, and should not have been a cop. Do people think he was lying when he said that?
So, once again, as long as a cop feels there is a "threat" they can kill anyone they want. That is the major flaw here. The cops "feelings" don't get to justify any action. You don't believe this was a justified killing. There should have been a punishment.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Barraco's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:
That all makes sense to us and I understand where that reasoning is coming from. However, the jury needs proof. I'm sure some here have served on an actual case (and I'm sure there are some attorneys here as well). I was on a jury about two years ago for a gun-related offense. It requires a lot to return a guilty verdict, and the judge makes that abundantly clear. You can only decide based on evidence, not based on hearsay or what you think may have been motivating the person. While your reasons make sense, it's not exactly proof that he didn't reach for his gun. Something as simple as that can derail a jury (or juror, for that matter).
The problem is that the cops "motivations" also shouldn't matter then. The defense was literally "I was scared so I shot him 7 times".

The problem is that cops aren't treated as normal people in these trials. They are given benefits of the doubt that are laughable if anyone else was doing it.

The real obstacle for those wanting the cop locked up is that the cop needs to be proven guilty, not proven innocent. My guess is the jury didn't have evidence to convict. If it was plausible, however unlikely, that Castillo reached for and grabbed his gun, then I can see that being enough to not convict.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:15 pm 

I am nearly 100% certain if he wasn't a cop and if he was just a normal guy who walked up to him that he would be getting a long jail term. What makes that so maddening is they are supposed to be trained on how to spot threats and those who aren't threats more than the average person.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The cop says do not pull out the gun as the guy is reaching for it. Clearly the guy panicked, and should not have been a cop. Do people think he was lying when he said that?
So, once again, as long as a cop feels there is a "threat" they can kill anyone they want. That is the major flaw here. The cops "feelings" don't get to justify any action. You don't believe this was a justified killing. There should have been a punishment.

Is the guy fired from the force? Allowed to still carry a gun? Clearly he is wrong, but I think the police are set-up to fail as well. The guy said he had a gun. The cop said do not reach for it. They he started firing. He was wrong, but I don't think he was lying either.

I don't know what the punishment should be, but I don't know what the value of putting him in jail to "teach him a lesson" is either. Be better to put him under some probation, and make him pay a percentage of his wages to the guy's family for so many years.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:25 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I am nearly 100% certain if he wasn't a cop and if he was just a normal guy who walked up to him that he would be getting a long jail term. What makes that so maddening is they are supposed to be trained on how to spot threats and those who aren't threats more than the average person.

Hypothetical: You're an average, normal guy driving a Dodge Stratus and pull over behind Castillo to see if he needs help. You walk up to the car to see what's up. If Castillo grabbed his gun, would you consider him to be a threat? Remember, you have a matter of a few seconds to decide.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:26 pm 

Is the guy fired from the force? Allowed to still carry a gun? Clearly he is wrong, but I think the police are set-up to fail as well. The guy said he had a gun. The cop said do not reach for it. They he started firing. He was wrong, but I don't think he was lying either.
You seem to pretty much be against jail sentences. It's bizarre. This guy wrongfully killed a man and his punishment is finding a different job and not being able to carry a gun(which I'm not sure how he would be stopped from doing that anyways)?

I don't know what the punishment should be, but I don't know what the value of putting him in jail to "teach him a lesson" is either. Be better to put him under some probation, and make him pay a percentage of his wages to the guy's family for so many years.
Jail time should be his punishment. Hopefully his family gets the legally allowable amount of his future earnings and current assets too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
ChiefWampum wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Hypothetical: You're an average, normal guy driving a Dodge Stratus and pull over behind Castillo to see if he needs help. You walk up to the car to see what's up. If Castillo grabbed his gun, would you consider him to be a threat? Remember, you have a matter of a few seconds to decide.

:lol: If he had grabbed his gun nobody would be complaining that the cop shot him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Nah. I haven't read the whole thread so this may have mentioned before, but even if you believe this is a well-meaning cop who made a mistake, then he must face proportional repercussions. At a minimum, to me, that means losing his job and possibly never being eligible to join a police force again.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:28 pm 

ChiefWampum wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

This hypothetical assumes I see his gun and that I don't have a gun pointing directly at him. In other words, it is a poor hypothetical to compare to this situation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:31 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
You seem to pretty much be against jail sentences. It's bizarre. This guy wrongfully killed a man and his punishment is finding a different job and not being able to carry a gun(which I'm not sure how he would be stopped from doing that anyways)?

Jail time should be his punishment. Hopefully his family gets the legally allowable amount of his future earnings and current assets too.

Because jail is a tremendous public waste, and a morally bankrupt idea. Who comes up with these sentences? Why would it be better that he sit in a cage for 10 years? It's all arbitrary.

If you want to see something really damaging to poor people send them to prison, especially for a non-violent offense, and see what it does to their ability to earn money and their families.

If he's not a cop, I doubt he's pulling people over and shooting them. Seems logical.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:34 pm 

The problem with us analyzing it post-hoc is that we don't have a good feel for what it's like in the moment. I saw a video where they took a reporter who was critical of police shootings and put him through a police training, where he acts as a cop with a paintball gun. After going through a training course, he approaches various situations, such as a pulled over car, or two people arguing. If I remember correctly, he gets shot a few times, because he didn't want to pull his gun on the guy. I think in one scenario he actually shoots the "suspect." The reporter admitted that it's much more difficult than it seems sitting behind a desk. It happens so quickly that you might think you have time to decide whether this person is pulling a gun or just itching is back. But in reality, you must be prepared to act.

I think body cameras will help and maybe you'll see more convictions if body cameras prove the egregiousness. The body cams could also support the cops.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:36 pm 

Because jail is a tremendous public waste, and a morally bankrupt idea. Who comes up with these sentences? Why would it be better that he sit in a cage for 10 years? It's all arbitrary.
Laws, with varying degrees, are arbitrary too. Where do you stop? After all, this victim was supposedly wrong for "having weed in his system" and "putting his hand by his side in a way that could have been him pulling a gun.
If you want to see something really damaging to poor people send them to prison, especially for a non-violent offense, and see what it does to their ability to earn money and their families.
Ok? Unfair prison sentences are bad. I agree. Going to jail is harmful. I agree.

Now, how about this cop sees similar consequences?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:37 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

This hypothetical assumes I see his gun and that I don't have a gun pointing directly at him. In other words, it is a poor hypothetical to compare to this situation.

Yes, you see his gun when he grabs it. The officer didn't have his gun pointed at him until he reached for whatever it is he reached for. So you have a concealed carry and you see this. What are you to do?

I'm just trying to offer both sides of the coin here to help us all see the different angles.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:39 pm 

ChiefWampum wrote:
The problem with us analyzing it post-hoc is that we don't have a good feel for what it's like in the moment. I saw a video where they took a reporter who was critical of police shootings and put him through a police training, where he acts as a cop with a paintball gun. After going through a training course, he approaches various situations, such as a pulled over car, or two people arguing. If I remember correctly, he gets shot a few times, because he didn't want to pull his gun on the guy. I think in one scenario he actually shoots the "suspect." The reporter admitted that it's much more difficult than it seems sitting behind a desk. It happens so quickly that you might think you have time to decide whether this person is pulling a gun or just itching is back. But in reality, you must be prepared to act.

I think body cameras will help and maybe you'll see more convictions if body cameras prove the egregiousness. The body cams could also support the cops.

That's fine, but in my opinion there's something wrong with guys walking free after making mistakes that take lives. If you make an honest mistake, you still have to pay for it in some way. My job doesn't involve experiencing what cops face while doing their jobs, but I assume accidentally taking the life of someone as a cop while on the job is probably the worst job-related mistake you could commit. If I make the worst mistake possible at my job, I'm definitely fired. Not sure if it's too much to ask that similiar consequences face officers who make massive mistakes.

2013 CSFMB ROY

Last edited by veganfan21 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:40 pm 

ChiefWampum wrote:

This gets back to the ultimate point, which seems to be that as long as a cop feels that some level of threat exists they can do virtually whatever they want including killing the person even when there was not a true justification for it. We're back to the idea that 100 dead civilians is worth it if it saves the life of 1 cop.

Cops should go to jail for unjustified killings.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

ChiefWampum wrote:
The body cams could also support the cops.

If that's true why are most cops so reluctant to wear them?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
ChiefWampum wrote:

i played the Police Trainer arcade game, it's not easy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:48 pm 

Bagels wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:

i played the Police Trainer arcade game, it's not easy

:lol: :lol:

That game was awful.

Lethal Enforcers FTW

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:

I wouldn't want one on me at my work. Those things are used to hang ya.

Cops might be different, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:06 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Laws, with varying degrees, are arbitrary too. Where do you stop? After all, this victim was supposedly wrong for "having weed in his system" and "putting his hand by his side in a way that could have been him pulling a gun.
Ok? Unfair prison sentences are bad. I agree. Going to jail is harmful. I agree.

Aren't you really anti-weed?

It's clear to me that jail is not a deterrent to many crimes, and that often people are placed there for completely arbitrary reasons/times. This carries over to this situation as well.

The only time that I think jail is necessary is when the person is a clear danger to harm or take advantage of others. Unless I'm wrong this cop has no prior criminal history, and he was able to hold a steady job. If he works he can help to provide for the family of the slain man. If he's "punished" by sitting in the cage they get very little, and the family of the cop are also punished.

I would seek to minimize damage rather than find a "proper" time-out that people have to sit in often for decades on the tax payers' dime.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:13 pm 

Only on this message board.

It's clear to me that jail is not a deterrent to many crimes, and that often people are placed there for completely arbitrary reasons/times. This carries over to this situation as well.

The only time that I think jail is necessary is when the person is a clear danger to harm or take advantage of others. Unless I'm wrong this cop has no prior criminal history, and he was able to hold a steady job. If he works he can help to provide for the family of the slain man. If he's "punished" by sitting in the cage they get very little, and the family of the cop are also punished.

I would seek to minimize damage rather than find a "proper" time-out that people have to sit in often for decades on the tax payers' dime.
I think jail time is a deterrent to many people. I certainly know I would not want to go to jail. If I was considering an illegal activity I certainly would be concerned about jail.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

apparently the cop was very anti-weed as well. His thoughtful response during the trial...

Uh but uh as that was happening as he was pulling at, out his hand I thought, I was gonna die and i thought if he’s, if he has the, the guts and the audacity to smoke marijuana in front of the five year old girl and risk her lungs and risk her life by giving her secondhand smoke and the front seat passenger doing the same thing then what, what care does he give about me.

Last edited by Zippy-The-Pinhead on Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:17 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Only on this message board.

I think jail time is a deterrent to many people. I certainly know I would not want to go to jail. If I was considering an illegal activity I certainly would be concerned about jail.

Yes, but other people are not as rational, do not have anything to lose, or have been placed in difficult circumstances. There is not a lot of thinking behind many crimes, and I do not believe our current prison system does anything other than prepare you to spend the rest of your life there.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

apparently the cop was very anti-weed as well. His thoughtful response during the trial...

Uh but uh as that was happening as he was pulling at, out his hand I thought, I was gonna die and i thought if he’s, if he has the, the guts and the audacity to smoke marijuana in front of the five year old girl and risk her lungs and risk her life by giving her secondhand smoke and the front seat passenger doing the same thing then what, what care does he give about me.

:shock:

I'd say it's funny that this idiot was allowed to wear a badge, but it's tragic.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

:shock:

I'd say it's funny that this idiot was allowed to wear a badge, but it's tragic.

The irony is that this statement followed shortly after he acknowledged that she was in the line of fire so he tried to aim down.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

formerlyknownas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:

I agree. I wouldn't work anywhere where I was monitored that way. But I l also don't have a pension at age 55 that is 80% of my salary. And it seems to me that cops always want the perks of the job but then they complain about the "bad" stuff. It's not a regular job. People might shoot at you. I think society is more than understanding regarding that fact. That's why this guy, who essentially committed murder, got off.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:37 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:

I agree. I wouldn't work anywhere where I was monitored that way. But I l also don't have a pension at age 55 that is 80% of my salary. And it seems to me that cops always want the perks of the job but then they complain about the "bad" stuff. It's not a regular job. People might shoot at you. I think society is more than understanding regarding that fact. That's why this guy, who essentially committed murder, got off.

If I'm already given the complete benefit of the doubt, why would I consent to a change that would make me accountable unless I was forced too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:40 pm 

Rather than jail why not just press for his dismissal?

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/21/us/milwau ... index.html

Former Milwaukee cop acquitted.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next