It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mosque Attack
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
I'm not saying that if religion were gone, something wouldn't fill its void. But - as WFR said - isn't that just speculation at this point? Do you have any evidence to support your assertion?

I'd point to civilizations where religion was done away with, the state has always come and filled that void. Instead of being religious fanatics the people become nationalistic fanatics.

But those states were created for that purpose. The elimination of religion was one of MANY means to an end (complete state control). If religion just died of natural causes (i.e. Boilermaker Rick persuaded everyone on Earth), do we know for a fact that people would just be violent for different reasons? If that's the case, is that a defense of Islam?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
I'm not saying that if religion were gone, something wouldn't fill its void. But - as WFR said - isn't that just speculation at this point? Do you have any evidence to support your assertion?

I'd point to civilizations where religion was done away with, the state has always come and filled that void. Instead of being religious fanatics the people become nationalistic fanatics.
Except you know, the country you live in right now.

have we done away with religion? I'd say polls show that most people are still religious (I wouldn't say I am) but most people are to some degree religious in this country.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
That is exactly my point, remove religion and something else will fill the void for the people who would otherwise be religious. As for technology spreading knowledge, you have way too much faith in humanity if you think it's only going to enlighten people. I give you Alex Jones on the right and the rise of the anti-vaxxers on the left. face it, technology will spread myths and misinformation plenty. People will be weaponized for causes by charismatic leaders just as easily.

We are a species of followers and religion's demise would not change that.
You keep on saying this like it is a fact but it's pretty much constant that the removal of religion in policy making has resulted in increased freedom and less violence. It may not be perfect but it is pretty clear that removing religion from policy making has been a huge net positive at least in the past 500 years or so.

Your statement has no basis in any objective reality.

100M is a conservative estimate of how many people were killed by atheistic governments in the 20th century alone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:19 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

You don't think that America is filled with Nationalistic fanatics?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:20 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
That is exactly my point, remove religion and something else will fill the void for the people who would otherwise be religious. As for technology spreading knowledge, you have way too much faith in humanity if you think it's only going to enlighten people. I give you Alex Jones on the right and the rise of the anti-vaxxers on the left. face it, technology will spread myths and misinformation plenty. People will be weaponized for causes by charismatic leaders just as easily.

You keep on saying this like it is a fact but it's pretty much constant that the removal of religion in policy making has resulted in increased freedom and less violence. It may not be perfect but it is pretty clear that removing religion from policy making has been a huge net positive at least in the past 500 years or so.

100M is a conservative estimate of how many people were killed by atheistic governments in the 20th century alone.

That doesn't mean anything. No one was killing in the name of atheism.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

It definitely is, remove religion from those people and they will still be nationalists, and it's the nationalism that is truly dangerous.

Nationalism drove the world to the world wars, not religion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:21 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

have we done away with religion? I'd say polls show that most people are still religious (I wouldn't say I am) but most people are to some degree religious in this country.
The countries that truly banned religion did many other things that were worse and against the will of the people so it isn't like that is a great example either. It's not like the people of North Korea were looking to fill a void left by religion. The religion was banned specifically so the Supreme Leader could fill that void.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:22 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

No.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
America wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Islam does have problems. Their problems are not for America to solve however.

Since 1941 the United States has taken it upon itself to protect the world from large scale evil, be it Soviet communism or Nazi's. To leave the rest of the civilized world out to dry against the Islamic threat would be a crime against the continued progress of mankind.

Im not saying France, UK, Russia, India (definitely been doing their part) and even China shouldn't be helping too, but it's our job to eradicate Islam for the betterment of humanity.

This reads like the plot synopsis of Team America World Police 2: Allah Eradication.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Religion and its tenets were removed, and more people were killed in one century than ever before.

And Russia's government, which did a lot of that killing, had atheism as a basis of their state.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:26 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Religion and its tenets were removed, and more people were killed in one century than ever before.

And Russia's government, which did a lot of that killing, had atheism as a basis of their state.

And you don't think there were other variables that contributed to this? You are 100% certain and without doubt that a lack of religion was the sole reason this happened?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:27 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

No.

It is everpresent.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:28 pm 

Why do you say that?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:28 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

No.

It is everpresent.

I saw a guy today wearing a shirt that said:

"If you don't respect this (picture of a flag)...

You'll get this (picture of a boot)."

I thought it was pretty poetic.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

And you don't think there were other variables that contributed to this? You are 100% certain and without doubt that a lack of religion was the sole reason this happened?

It had plenty to do with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:32 pm 

Seacrest wrote:

Thanks. That's a compelling argument.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:32 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why do you say that?

Just listen to how American aggression against Islam has been spun to be a centuries long battle against American values culture and religion. Work from that premise and you will see exactly what I'm talking about. American exceptionalism is real. Its not simply a theory. Policies have been shaped by it. Its nationalistic in nature. Look at how every deviation is viewed as disloyalty. Look at how we are encouraged to agree with American policy regardless of whether we are morally right or not.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:34 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Yup, and the Islamic Apologist(LTG) has arrived.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:36 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

See what I mean?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

A number of governments that share as a stated purpose to install atheism as their religion, kill millions of christians, Jews and Muslims who won't go along with them.

If that's coincidence to you, then try to stop telling your self how "open" you are.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:41 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

A number of governments that share as a stated purpose to install atheism as their religion, kill millions of christians, Jews and Muslims who won't go along with them.

If that's coincidence to you, then try to stop telling your self how "open" you are.

I never once mentioned how "open" I was. For someone who complains about ad hominem attacks, you sure use them a lot. Maybe you should work on YOUR SELF (per Seacrest).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I never once mentioned how "open" I was. For someone who complains about ad hominem attacks, you sure use them a lot. Maybe you should work on YOUR SELF (per Seacrest).

Point taken leash.

But it is damn near impossible to have a rational conversation with someone who wants proof that "100%" of the deaths at the hand of Communism had something to do with atheism.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Seacrest wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Point taken leash.

But it is damn near impossible to have a rational conversation with someone who wants proof that "100%" of the deaths at the hand of Communism had something to do with atheism.

Because the actual figure of deaths due to atheism is zero. What Christians just because of their religion? It's a absurd argument. Also, I assume you are including the Chinese in your figures. Which Chinese Jews, Muslims and Christians were killed by communists?

How many hundreds of millions were killed in holy wars? And efforts to spread Christianity? The Spanish Empire wiped out millions in North and South American spreading the "word of god",

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:02 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Caller Bob wrote:

I guess he would call himself a "Never Islam."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:07 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

I guess he would call himself a "Never Islam."

Nothing brings out the contingent of United States excusemakers quite like a discussion on Islam.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:09 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Point taken leash.

Well, I didn't ask for that. I'm only asking to provide some sort of proof that at least some of the deaths were due in large part to a belief in atheism only, as most religious attacks are. People are literally attacking in the name of their Messiah. So, when the atheists were killing people, did they yell "Belief in nothing Akbar!"?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
leashyourkids wrote:
So, when the atheists were killing people, did they yell "Belief in nothing Akbar!"?

" I love ketchup !!!!!"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Peoria Matt wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
So, when the atheists were killing people, did they yell "Belief in nothing Akbar!"?

" I love ketchup !!!!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Let's say there were 3-4 basic tenets of the bolshevic revolution. one of those was certainly the elimination of the evil orthodox church. let's say 20-30MM killed in communist authoritarian state. you're saying none died because they were christian?

GMAFB.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
leashyourkids wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Point taken leash.

Well, I didn't ask for that. I'm only asking to provide some sort of proof that at least some of the deaths were due in large part to a belief in atheism only, as most religious attacks are. People are literally attacking in the name of their Messiah. So, when the atheists were killing people, did they yell "Belief in nothing Akbar!"?

And God Created Lenin: Marxism vs. Religion in Russia, 1917-1929. Author : Paul Gabel ISBN 1-59102-306-8 [6]
Storming the Heavens: The Soviet League of the Militant Godless Author : Daniel Peris Publisher: Cornell University Press ISBN 0801434858 ISBN 978-0801434853 [7]
The Plot to Kill God: Findings from the Soviet Experiment in Secularization Author : Paul Froese Publisher: University of California Press ISBN 0520255291 ISBN 978-0520255296 [8]
Religion and the State in Russia and China: Suppression, Survival, and Revival Author : Christopher Marsh ISBN 1441112472 ISBN 978-1441112477
Russian Society and the Orthodox Church: Religion in Russia after Communism Author : Zoe Knox Publisher: Routledge (August 13, 2009)ISBN 0415546168 ISBN 978-0415546164 [9]
"Godless communists": atheism and society in Soviet Russia, 1917-1932 Author : William Husband Publisher: Northern Illinois University Press ISBN 0875802575 ISBN 978-0875802572 [10]
Secularism Soviet Style: Teaching Atheism and Religion in a Volga Republic Author : Sonja Luehrmann Publisher: Indiana University Press ISBN 0253356989 ISBN 978-0253356987
Doubt, Atheism, and the Nineteenth-Century Russian Intelligentsia Author : Victoria Frede Publisher: University of Wisconsin Press ISBN 0299284441 ISBN 978-0299284442 [11]
After Atheism: Religion and Ethnicity in Russia and Central Asia (Caucasus World) Author : David C. Lewis Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan ISBN 0312226926 ISBN 978-0312226923 [12]
Russian Orthodoxy on the Eve of Revolution Author : Vera Shevzov Oxford University Press, USA ISBN 0195335473 ISBN 978-0195335477 [13]
The Heart of Russia: Trinity-Sergius, Monasticism, and Society after 1825 Author: Scott M. Kenworthy Oxford University Press, USA ISBN 9780199736133
State Secularism and Lived Religion in Soviet Russia and Ukraine Editor: Catherine Wanner Oxford University Press USA ISBN 9780199937639

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next