It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: John's
I stopped watching CNN when they stopped hiring fine pieces of ass. Whatever happened to that Popy Harley chick?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Caller Bob wrote:
I stopped watching CNN when they stopped hiring fine pieces of ass. Whatever happened to that Popy Harley chick?

Still works there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppy_Harlow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:55 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Seriously, while on the subject of CNN, what is it with the 24 hour breaking news graphic.

I remember when it was a big deal for breaking news, but now every god damn update to a story is "BREAKING NEWS!!!"

That's my point. Sure it's been market tested and they found that red background with white lettering is more likely to grab people's attention. MSNBC and CNN are the biggest offenders with this sort of sensationalism.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:03 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
billypootons wrote:
cnn's audience is essentailly the mid to far left who love watching trump sucks coverage.... and the mid to far right who hate watch liberals... moderates dont watch cnn do they?

What cable news network would moderates watch?

Nothing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:04 am 

long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Seriously, while on the subject of CNN, what is it with the 24 hour breaking news graphic.

I remember when it was a big deal for breaking news, but now every god damn update to a story is "BREAKING NEWS!!!"

That's my point. Sure it's been market tested and they found that red background with white lettering is more likely to grab people's attention. MSNBC and CNN are the biggest offenders with this sort of sensationalism.

Fox News was actually the first to start this trend maybe 15 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:05 am 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
There's a reason why WGN is considered one of the best pure news outlets in the country (which is shocking). CNN, Fox, MSNBC... they're all the same. Just awful.

and yet, in the sports department they were essentially covering their own team for decades and presenting it as unbiased reporting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
The reason stations like WGN or pretty much anything is better is because they're not 24 hours. You can't fill 24 hours while worrying about ratings and not have a bunch of sensationalist bullshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
good dolphin wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
billypootons wrote:
cnn's audience is essentailly the mid to far left who love watching trump sucks coverage.... and the mid to far right who hate watch liberals... moderates dont watch cnn do they?

What cable news network would moderates watch?

Nothing

Something overseas, like BBC or France 24 (both are good news products)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:09 am 

good dolphin wrote:
There's a reason why WGN is considered one of the best pure news outlets in the country (which is shocking). CNN, Fox, MSNBC... they're all the same. Just awful.

and yet, in the sports department they were essentially covering their own team for decades and presenting it as unbiased reporting.

They were a true house organ for the Cubs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:11 am 

This producer is probably getting fired, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Jbi11s wrote:

Also, the "producer" isn't some big shot overseeing the political news and whatnot. He works for the CNN medical unit.

http://www.cnn.com/profiles/john-bonifield

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:16 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Also, the "producer" isn't some big shot overseeing the political news and whatnot. He works for the CNN medical unit.

http://www.cnn.com/profiles/john-bonifield

Is this medical unit on call 24hrs a day?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:17 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

but they were much worse than that. They actively sought to reduce interest in the Sox. Tribune bias for the Cubbies persists to this day throughout the local reporting industry. Think about the history the cubbies have of being inextricably intertwined economically with the people who cover them. All the while both the cubbies and the reporting agencies claim autonomy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Jbi11s wrote:

Why should he get fired for telling the truth?

Here is CNN's own article on the fiasco. All three let go were part of a new investigative unit.

Three CNN journalists, including the executive editor in charge of a new investigative unit, have resigned after the publication of a Russia-related article that was retracted.
Thomas Frank, who wrote the story in question; Eric Lichtblau, an editor in the unit; and Lex Haris, who oversaw the unit, have all left CNN.
"In the aftermath of the retraction of a story published on CNN.com, CNN has accepted the resignations of the employees involved in the story's publication," a spokesman said Monday evening.
An internal investigation by CNN management found that some standard editorial processes were not followed when the article was published, people briefed on the results of the investigation said.
The story, which reported that Congress was investigating a "Russian investment fund with ties to Trump officials," cited a single anonymous source.
These types of stories are typically reviewed by several departments within CNN -- including fact-checkers, journalism standards experts and lawyers -- before publication.
This breakdown in editorial workflow disturbed the CNN executives who learned about it.
In a staff meeting Monday afternoon, investigative unit members were told that the retraction did not mean the facts of the story were necessarily wrong. Rather, it meant that "the story wasn't solid enough to publish as-is," one of the people briefed on the investigation said.
The reporting about the Russian investment fund and Trump officials was not relayed on CNN's television channels, but it was published on the web and shared on social media.
On Friday, one of the people named in the story, Trump ally Anthony Scaramucci, disputed Frank's reporting and said, "I did nothing wrong."
Friday night, once it was determined that editorial processes were not followed, CNN deleted the story from CNN.com. Soon thereafter, the story was officially retracted and replaced with an editor's note.
The piece "did not meet CNN's editorial standards and has been retracted," the note said. "Links to the story have been disabled."
The editor's note also included an apology to Scaramucci.
"CNN did the right thing. Classy move. Apology accepted," Scaramucci tweeted the next morning. "Everyone makes mistakes. Moving on."
The departures of Haris, Lichtblau and Frank are likely to come as a surprise to colleagues, particularly given the reputations of the three men.
Frank worked for USA Today and Newsday for three decades, pursuing investigations and covering the Iraq war as an embedded reporter, before coming to work at CNN.
He was part of an ambitious new investigative unit that was created last winter, bringing together existing teams from within the company and new hires like Lichtblau.
A veteran of The New York Times who won a Pulitzer Prize for national reporting in 2006, Lichtblau joined CNN just three months ago.
Haris, who was named the executive editor of CNN Investigates in January, was previously the executive editor of CNNMoney.
"On Friday, CNN retracted a story published by my team. As Executive Editor of that team, I have resigned," Haris said in a statement. "I've been with CNN since 2001, and am sure about one thing: This is a news organization that prizes accuracy and fairness above all else. I am leaving, but will carry those principles wherever I go."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:19 am 

not for nothing but didn't that seem like we were listening in on two gay guys dishing gossip too each other after a bender the night before

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:20 am 

good dolphin wrote:
not for nothing but didn't that seem like we were listening in on two gay guys dishing gossip too each other after a bender the night before

:lol:

I was thinking along those lines. Like what did this "reporter" have to do the night before to gain this much trust?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:21 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Here is CNN's own article on the fiasco. All three let go were part of a new investigative unit.

Three CNN journalists, including the executive editor in charge of a new investigative unit, have resigned after the publication of a Russia-related article that was retracted.
Thomas Frank, who wrote the story in question; Eric Lichtblau, an editor in the unit; and Lex Haris, who oversaw the unit, have all left CNN.
"In the aftermath of the retraction of a story published on CNN.com, CNN has accepted the resignations of the employees involved in the story's publication," a spokesman said Monday evening.
An internal investigation by CNN management found that some standard editorial processes were not followed when the article was published, people briefed on the results of the investigation said.
The story, which reported that Congress was investigating a "Russian investment fund with ties to Trump officials," cited a single anonymous source.
These types of stories are typically reviewed by several departments within CNN -- including fact-checkers, journalism standards experts and lawyers -- before publication.
This breakdown in editorial workflow disturbed the CNN executives who learned about it.
In a staff meeting Monday afternoon, investigative unit members were told that the retraction did not mean the facts of the story were necessarily wrong. Rather, it meant that "the story wasn't solid enough to publish as-is," one of the people briefed on the investigation said.
The reporting about the Russian investment fund and Trump officials was not relayed on CNN's television channels, but it was published on the web and shared on social media.
On Friday, one of the people named in the story, Trump ally Anthony Scaramucci, disputed Frank's reporting and said, "I did nothing wrong."
Friday night, once it was determined that editorial processes were not followed, CNN deleted the story from CNN.com. Soon thereafter, the story was officially retracted and replaced with an editor's note.
The piece "did not meet CNN's editorial standards and has been retracted," the note said. "Links to the story have been disabled."
"CNN did the right thing. Classy move. Apology accepted," Scaramucci tweeted the next morning. "Everyone makes mistakes. Moving on."
The departures of Haris, Lichtblau and Frank are likely to come as a surprise to colleagues, particularly given the reputations of the three men.
Frank worked for USA Today and Newsday for three decades, pursuing investigations and covering the Iraq war as an embedded reporter, before coming to work at CNN.
He was part of an ambitious new investigative unit that was created last winter, bringing together existing teams from within the company and new hires like Lichtblau.
A veteran of The New York Times who won a Pulitzer Prize for national reporting in 2006, Lichtblau joined CNN just three months ago.
Haris, who was named the executive editor of CNN Investigates in January, was previously the executive editor of CNNMoney.
"On Friday, CNN retracted a story published by my team. As Executive Editor of that team, I have resigned," Haris said in a statement. "I've been with CNN since 2001, and am sure about one thing: This is a news organization that prizes accuracy and fairness above all else. I am leaving, but will carry those principles wherever I go."

A CNN executive said in an open panel discussion soon after the election that their early choice of wall to wall Trump coverage legitimized him as a candidate and lead to his presidency.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:24 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

You're having a rough day. The leaked video of the medical unit producer and the three employees being let go are completely unrelated stories.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:24 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

A CNN executive said in an open panel discussion soon after the election that their early choice of wall to wall Trump coverage legitimized him as a candidate and lead to his presidency.

That sounds very close to accurate.

But I think it would be fairer to say that the more they demonized Trump, the better he looked to MANY voters.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:25 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

but they were much worse than that. They actively sought to reduce interest in the Sox. Tribune bias for the Cubbies persists to this day throughout the local reporting industry. Think about the history the cubbies have of being inextricably intertwined economically with the people who cover them. All the while both the cubbies and the reporting agencies claim autonomy.

Chicago as a Cubs town dates back to Tribune Co. purchase of the team. WGN was one of only 3 Superstations in the country at the time and it made Cubs baseball a household name. Also made Harry Carey a Superstar. Before that the Sox were more popular.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:25 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

There was a poster at WSI over a decade ago who used to literally count column inches each day for Cubs vs. Sox in the Tribune. We all know the Trib was biased towards the Cubs, but damn that was OCD.

Of course he eventually got banned because the admin are fascists.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:27 am 

good dolphin wrote:

They were only following the instructions given to them by the Clinton campaign to push the "pied piper candidates" so that she could win.

Funny how that one worked out. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:28 am 

Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

That sounds very close to accurate.

But I think it would be fairer to say that the more they demonized Trump, the better he looked to MANY voters.

The point is that he should have never been covered in the first place. There was a time that he polled at 1%. They still covered him anyway as if he was legit. They shouldn't have. The coverage of him dwarfed coverage of all other candidates on the Republican side by a wide margin.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:31 am 
Site Admin

And this episode follows an embarrassing correction [i]CNN was forced to issue earlier this month when several of its highest-profile on-air personalities asserted — based on anonymous sources — that James Comey, in his congressional testimony, was going to deny Trump’s claim that the FBI director assured him he was not the target of any investigation.

When Comey confirmed Trump’s story, CNN was forced to correct its story. “An earlier version of this story said that Comey would dispute Trump’s interpretation of their conversations. But based on his prepared remarks, Comey outlines three conversations with the president in which he told Trump he was not personally under investigation,” said the network.[/i]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:40 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I consider the most serious part of this story the fact that the producer states they would never have gone after Obama for fear it wouldn't play well with their viewers.

People like Nas are getting their "news" from sources that admit that accuracy/real reporting are the last thing they are concerned about and they are using that input to get very strident about their own opinions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:45 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I consider the most serious part of this story the fact that the producer states they would never have gone after Obama for fear it wouldn't play well with their viewers.

People like Nas are getting their "news" from sources that admit that accuracy/real reporting are the last thing they are concerned about and they are using that input to get very strident about their own opinions.

If you have ever seen first hand how an event occurs, how the information is collected and how the story is finally reported, you understand that all reporting has bias.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:49 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I'm sure you're aware that companies like CNN have separate divisions for commentary and hard news.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:02 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

If you have ever seen first hand how an event occurs, how the information is collected and how the story is finally reported, you understand that all reporting has bias.

I've never said it didn't. But there's quite a gap between bias and making shit up. Trump is mocked for calling this fake news exactly what it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:03 am 
Site Admin

veganfan21 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I'm sure you're aware that companies like CNN have separate divisions for commentary and hard news.

Are you saying that CNN draws a clear line between such?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:17 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Are you saying that CNN draws a clear line between such?

Yes, so does Fox News. When Sean Hannity comes on I know I can just read trumpets.com and get the same info. When Chris Wallace comes on I know I'm going to hear what's largely fact-based stuff. The conflating of opinion and fact-based reporting is a really disturbing development - it makes people believe, for example, that every single thing about the Russia interfering with the elections thing is "fake news."

2013 CSFMB ROY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next