It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Cook County Sugar Tax
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
http://www.dailyherald.com/news/2017063 ... s-soda-tax

Quote:
A Cook County judge Friday blocked the implementation of Cook County's controversial penny-per-ounce tax on sweetened drinks that was set to start Saturday.

One of the stories I saw on this was that the reason the judge granted the order was because there was no plan or tracking in place for refunds to be provided if the tax was deemed unconstitutional.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
sometimes that Czechs and balances thing works out

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:59 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
sjboyd0137 wrote:
http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20170630/judge-halts-cook-countys-soda-tax

Quote:
A Cook County judge Friday blocked the implementation of Cook County's controversial penny-per-ounce tax on sweetened drinks that was set to start Saturday.

One of the stories I saw on this was that the reason the judge granted the order was because there was no plan or tracking in place for refunds to be provided if the tax was deemed unconstitutional.

No issue with this tax. I'm bothered by the water tax.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:05 pm 

Nas wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Quote:

I don't entirely see an issue with it either, but I'm not much of a soda drinker. I think it's a little high for the volume (consider a 2 litre bottle at 64 ounces currently selling for 0.99 on sale, and adding 64% to the price because of the tax)...that is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
This bill is such a farce. it's designed to limit sugary drink intake and thus improve public health, but the people most likely to drink sugary drinks (the impoverished) mostly would avoid the tax due to SNAP and other welfare being exempt.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:11 pm 

If they were doing this for the betterment of society, they would repeal a different tax that hurts society. There's plenty to pick from

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:12 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
If they were doing this for the betterment of society,

The Cook County Board, going back to before John Stroger and his little shit of a kid, Toddler, have no interest in the betterment of society.

Toni Preckwinkle is just another in that long line.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:13 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
but the people most likely to drink sugary drinks (the impoverished) mostly would avoid the tax due to SNAP and other welfare being exempt.

Are you saying majority of people that buy sugary drinks are on food stamps?

Get the fuck outta here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:13 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
May my lemon-lime Gatorade, nectar of the gods, go forever ungouged!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Curious Hair wrote:
May my lemon-lime Gatorade, nectar of the gods, go forever ungouged!

I gotta go with orange.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:16 pm 

Unflavored for me!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: *
Nas wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Quote:

I on the other hand have an issue with it and I'm not a pop drinker. I am not a fan of government imposing more taxes so that they can mismanage more of our money....GTFO!!

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
I think I'm starting to change my mind regarding this tax. On one hand, who is the government to tell me what I can drink and just take my money because they decide what's best. Cook County doesn't pay for health care (for the most part), so who are they to say anything about it.

But in today's America, which is moving towards government subsidized (and probably soon to be paid for) health care, then the government needs to make money to fund all these health care costs. Whether the sugar industry lobbyists will even allow it to be known or not, processed sugar is the main cause of most health problems in the United States today. And as health problems become more prevalent and people still live longer, the costs of health care will continue to skyrocket. If people expect the government to pay for health care, then the government should be able to tax anything that contributes to health problems. As such, I have no problem with the government taxing sugary beverages. However, I question why they stop there. They should literally tax everything in the grocery store that is not raw fruits, vegetables, and meat. Health care needs to be paid for somehow.

Of course, its not like government would directly earmark that money for healthcare. They would blow it on something else no one needs and then bankrupt health care system, but, in principle, it would be okay.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
You want a nut tax?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
"oh,I don't drink it" your ass!

Billions spent on pop every year but nobody here touches it...bullshit!

I drink a lot of diet pop and "Ice" drinks with vitamins. I still don't get why diet pop falls under "sugar tax". Every study I have read saying diet pop is bad has been inconclusive. They leave out the fact that fat people still order fast food with their diet pops. Like I tell my wife,diet is just that. No calories,no sugar.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:26 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:

I drink a lot of diet pop and "Ice" drinks with vitamins. I still don't get why diet pop falls under "sugar tax". Every study I have read saying diet pop is bad has been inconclusive. They leave out the fact that fat people still order fast food with their diet pops. Like I tell my wife,diet is just that. No calories,no sugar.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:26 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
but the people most likely to drink sugary drinks (the impoverished) mostly would avoid the tax due to SNAP and other welfare being exempt.

Get the fuck outta here.

Quote:
Individuals aged 18–24, men, and those with less than a college education were also more likely to be frequent soda consumers. In addition, those living in households with an income of 200% of the poverty level or less were more likely to be frequent soda consumers than those from higher income households.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2329746/

There are just under 900k in cook county on SNAP.

So in short yes the poor consume more soda and also use food stamps to pay for it, you douchebag.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:28 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Get the fuck outta here.

Quote:
Individuals aged 18–24, men, and those with less than a college education were also more likely to be frequent soda consumers. In addition, those living in households with an income of 200% of the poverty level or less were more likely to be frequent soda consumers than those from higher income households.

So in short yes the poor consume more soda and also use food stamps to pay for it, you douchebag.

Fuck... A million people on food stamps? That's more than the population of Madison and all connected townships.

Douchebag wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

What don't you "get" exactly? Why do drinks with no sugar fall under a sugar tax?

jimmypasta wrote:

God damn, jimmy....the shit they use to make artificial sweeteners is fucking terrible for you. I recognize the fact that you have this insane ability to cheat death on a regular basis, but lemme ask you this...Have you ever seen a skinny person drink a diet coke?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:29 pm 

How would this impact liquor drinks? If I order a Jack Daniels and diet coke how does that work?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
redskingreg wrote:
You want a nut tax?

Nuts are considered healthy, so no. I didn't really get into the nuts and bolts. Over the last couple years I've started having a lot of food sensitivities and allergies which has led to me watching a bunch of documentaries on Netflix about foods. Really amazing how stuff affects the body.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:31 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
How would this impact liquor drinks? If I order a Jack Daniels and diet coke how does that work?

I read in an article the other day that it wouldn't apply to mixers. But the bar itself is being charged by the distributor a penny per ounce that the box of syrup turns into soda (ex, a 64 ounce box may yield 192 ounces of soda, the tax is $1.92). So I wouldn't be shocked to see prices jacked.

IkeSouth wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Get the fuck outta here.

Quote:

Fuck... A million people on food stamps? That's more than the population of Madison and all connected townships.

Thats per the Tribune and other news sources. I'm having trouble finding source numbers.

Shocker the government doesn't make it easy for taxpayers to see how much a social welfare product is being used.

100000 CLUB

Free Ajent wrote:
Nas wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Quote:

I on the other hand have an issue with it and I'm not a pop drinker. I am not a fan of government imposing more taxes so that they can mismanage more of our money....GTFO!!

I'm not a pop drinker but if a tax can reduce obesity then I'm all for it.

sjboyd0137 wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

God damn, jimmy....the shit they use to make artificial sweeteners is fucking terrible for you. I recognize the fact that you have this insane ability to cheat death on a regular basis, but lemme ask you this...Have you ever seen a skinny person drink a diet coke?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:32 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Exactly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Nas wrote:
Free Ajent wrote:
Nas wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Quote:

It can't.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:34 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

I read in an article the other day that it wouldn't apply to mixers. But the bar itself is being charged by the distributor a penny per ounce that the box of syrup turns into soda (ex, a 64 ounce box may yield 192 ounces of soda, the tax is $1.92). So I wouldn't be shocked to see prices jacked.

Liquor is a mostly an inelastic demand good, so the consumers once again pay the majority of the tax ajd get ducked.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:35 pm 
100000 CLUB

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Nas wrote:
Free Ajent wrote:
Nas wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Quote:

It can't.

It may save 2 lives. Seriously I am just being selfish.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next