It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Kirkwood wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I'll take the word of a guy who lives and works in/near NY over you.

I used to.

Let me see if the link works this way:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/nyc-mayor-pushes-for-tax-on-the-1-percent-to-fund-subway-fix/2017/08/07/5612aa60-7b5f-11e7-b2b1-aeba62854dfa_story.html?utm_term=.6c2a9593743e

My complaint is that there is enough money already in the entire system, but they just keep sucking up more. It's non-stop. And the riders should absolutely fund the additional costs of upgrades.

Earlier in the thread you complained about tollways increasing in price. So who are you crappin?

I complained about the Illinois tollway raising rates? I went back and don't see that. It is quite the opposite. I take I-90 everyday to work, and the recent expansion gets me to work at least 10 minutes faster each way. Funding via user fee is the best way. No reason for down staters to pay for my commute.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Curious Hair wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
I wonder if CTA has ever done a study of their flat-rate fare system versus a zone system. I never quite understood why O'Hare to Lake is the same cost as Logan Square to Grand Ave.

It's $5 to ride out of O'Hare, though I think you get a special farecard if you work at O'Hare and just pay the standard $2.25.

If you wanted to save a few bucks you could always take the free tram to Economy parking then walk about a mile an a half, Higgins to River road and pick it up at the Rosemont stop. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
denisdman wrote:
Nope, Frank is spot on. They get away with the tax increase because they position it as hitting people who are doing bad things like drinking soda. That gets the non-soda drinking crowd to go along.

The best taxes apply broadly so that they raise the revenue needed to solve whatever budget problem exists. This tax doesn't raise that much revenue, hits businesses hard in a defined area (i.e. easy to avoid), and isn't going to change the cost of poor diets.

They keep incrementally raising the cost of living in this state. One year the tolls. The next year the income tax. The next year the general sales tax. The budget deal also raised the gas tax (little noticed) by removing the gasohol exemption. Then the property taxes. And nothing is done to address the underlying cost drivers.

When you pair it with income tax, sales tax, gas tax, property tax, etc it sounds like a complaint. I dunno

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:54 am 

denisdman wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I'll take the word of a guy who lives and works in/near NY over you.

I used to.

Let me see if the link works this way:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/nyc-mayor-pushes-for-tax-on-the-1-percent-to-fund-subway-fix/2017/08/07/5612aa60-7b5f-11e7-b2b1-aeba62854dfa_story.html?utm_term=.6c2a9593743e

My complaint is that there is enough money already in the entire system, but they just keep sucking up more. It's non-stop. And the riders should absolutely fund the additional costs of upgrades.

Earlier in the thread you complained about tollways increasing in price. So who are you crappin?

I complained about the Illinois tollway raising rates? I went back and don't see that. It is quite the opposite. I take I-90 everyday to work, and the recent expansion gets me to work at least 10 minutes faster each way. Funding via user fee is the best way. No reason for down staters to pay for my commute.

In a city though it makes sense for everyone to help pay since it helps them too even if they don't use it. It's the same concept behind funding public parks though obviously most have no user fee.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:55 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
denisdman wrote:
http://www.tax.illinois.gov/News/2017_Gasohol.htm

July 11th Effective Date for Changes to the Gasohol Sales and Use Tax Exemption

While P.A. 100-22 removed the 20-percent Sales and Use Tax Exemption for sales of gasohol effective July 1, 2017, the Department has allowed motor fuel retailers until July 10, 2017, to make the appropriate changes to their pumps. The Department will not hold retailers responsible for collecting from their customers the full 100 percent amount of tax on gasohol sales made prior to July 11th, but if a retailer began collecting the full amount of tax prior to July 11th, that retailer must remit all tax collected to the Department. Retailers should not attempt to refund the tax in order to obtain a credit from the Department.

Edit: article on it

https://townhall.com/watchdog/illinois/ ... nol-n10779

You rail on this as a tax increase but I see it as a repeal of a carve out for an inferior product. A subsidy for a shitty product. The reason behind the repeal is crooked but the result is a positive. As a free market guy I would have assumed you'd be cheering for the government eliminating a rule providing an industry/product with favored status.

I am not railing on that at all. I was merely pointing out that they raised the income and gas tax. And we're still broke and will continue to be. Never enough money for the beast.

pizza_Place: Pequods
New York's subway has become such a large problem as just about every mayor and governor saw the issues, but they kept kicking the can down the road. Plus with it running 24 hours, they don't get the opportunity for overnight maintenance as they do on most of Chicago's lines.

The Atlantic had a great piece on the subject.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... ad/533502/

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
In a city though it makes sense for everyone to help pay since it helps them too even if they don't use it. It's the same concept behind funding public parks though obviously most have no user fee.

Ok, and I could buy that. in DeBlasio's plan, who is everyone? The top 1% is not everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:56 am 

Illinois would be fine if they could get rid of those pension obligations. Cocksucker Madigan.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:57 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Caller Bob wrote:
If you wanted to save a few bucks you could always take the free tram to Economy parking then walk about a mile an a half, Higgins to River road and pick it up at the Rosemont stop. :lol:

You laugh but that's the kind of thing I would try doing once, just to see whether it was worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:58 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

You laugh but that's the kind of thing I would try doing once, just to see whether it was worth it.

As long as you don't get run over on Mannheim. Used to work in one of the corp buildings at Mannheim and Higgens. Had a card with garage access..I debate once parking there when flying out for a familiy vacation lol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:59 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
New York's subway has become such a large problem as just about every mayor and governor saw the issues, but they kept kicking the can down the road. Plus with it running 24 hours, they don't get the opportunity for overnight maintenance as they do on most of Chicago's lines.

The reason is people always rail against any tax increase. Look at Denis complaining about a tax increase on rich people who choose to live in a really expensive area.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:00 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Nope, Frank is spot on. They get away with the tax increase because they position it as hitting people who are doing bad things like drinking soda. That gets the non-soda drinking crowd to go along.

The best taxes apply broadly so that they raise the revenue needed to solve whatever budget problem exists. This tax doesn't raise that much revenue, hits businesses hard in a defined area (i.e. easy to avoid), and isn't going to change the cost of poor diets.

They keep incrementally raising the cost of living in this state. One year the tolls. The next year the income tax. The next year the general sales tax. The budget deal also raised the gas tax (little noticed) by removing the gasohol exemption. Then the property taxes. And nothing is done to address the underlying cost drivers.

When you pair it with income tax, sales tax, gas tax, property tax, etc it sounds like a complaint. I dunno

The toll system is by far the fairest thing we have. The best part is I have a choice between Rte 72 and I-90. So yeah if that looked like a complaint about the tollway system I didn't mean it to be. I use it everyday and am pleased with the massive improvements on I-90.

My statement above was merely about the ever increasing cost of living in the state. I could deal with that a bit more if we were in sound financial health. But alas, we're not.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:01 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

The reason is people always rail against any tax increase. Look at Denis complaining about a tax increase on rich people who choose to live in a really expensive area.

I am just pointing out that 52% is not enough. How much is?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Caller Bob wrote:
Illinois would be fine if they could get rid of those pension obligations. Cocksucker Madigan.

Spoken like someone who wouldn't get them taken away .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:03 am 

True story...I had a buddy that worked for Accenture and was on the IPass Automation IT system during the late 90's early 2000s. There was a huge gap(1-2 years) where you could drive through the huge IPASS lanes, and from a technology perspective, they could not audit/catch you. All the warnings were just a farse, trying to scare people to actually pay.

Last edited by Caller Bob on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:04 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Spoken like someone that needs the "tit of the government" to survive and can't earn on their "own merit".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:05 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
denisdman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Maybe a hell of a lot? Infrastructure around the country is falling apart. We're probably overdue for another New Deal's worth of rebuilding all our stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Caller Bob wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Spoken like someone that needs the "tit of the government" to survive and can't earn on their "own merit".

Sorry chief, I fund my own pension. I didn't know starting a job in your 20s , paying into a promised pension fund your entire career and expecting your employer to actually live up to their end was sucking on the tit of the government though.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:10 am 

Overbloated pensions for overpaid government workers with minimal qualifications. And it's taking us all down. Sorry, no sympathy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:19 am 

denisdman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

The problem is that you are talking about specific group of people who chose to have a 4% tax hike added on to already high state taxes. So, 52% is clearly not too much for them. I don't think 52.5% is either. Don't cry for these people. They have made a personal choice to pay more in taxes than they would if they lived virtually anywhere else in the United States. If you were talking about a raise in the federal taxes then I'd understand the point but these are people that have shown they will choose to live in a highly taxed state and then go even further by moving to a highly taxed city and not really even care about even with the cost of living there and the real estate costs being unimaginable for 98% of the rest of the country.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:22 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Perhaps the reason we rail against tax increases is that the money ends up largely being squandered or wasted. I think people would be more open to paying taxes if there was better accountability of the spending, but that is something that does not exist at any level of government.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:27 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Perhaps the reason we rail against tax increases is that the money ends up largely being squandered or wasted. I think people would be more open to paying taxes if there was better accountability of the spending, but that is something that does not exist at any level of government.
This tax increase has a specific purpose and it has been laid out exactly what would happen with the money so I don't think you are correct.

There are people that are against all tax increases.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:28 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

This tax increase has a specific purpose and it has been laid out exactly what would happen with the money so I don't think you are correct.

There are people that are against all tax increases.

This may have a purpose, but then people have the right to ask where their existing tax dollars are going. Look no further than Illinois where you have a bloated bureaucracy giving itself a pay raise in the shadow of a major tax hike.

Perhaps governments should look at things to cut in order to fund such projects before asking for more money.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:34 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
This may have a purpose, but then people have the right to ask where their existing tax dollars are going. Look no further than Illinois where you have a bloated bureaucracy giving itself a pay raise in the shadow of a major tax hike.
Well, in terms of NYC and Chicago, most of the tax dollars are going to running a world class city and going towards trying to solve problems that other places don't have to deal with. They both have problems but we also need to stop acting like these massive cities are just happily throwing money into a fire pit because they want to waste money.

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Perhaps governments should look at things to cut in order to fund such projects before asking for more money.
As I said, some people will just complain about any tax increase even if they are transparent about it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
and away we go:

https://consumerist.com/2017/08/08/walg ... socialflow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:36 pm 

For the record, "that guy from Schaumburg" is not me!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Bagels wrote:

SUE!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:40 pm 

Bagels wrote:

Quote:
He’s seeking a jury trial and class-action status.

My fist is going to be seeking a punch to his face.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
Bagels wrote:

Quote:
He’s seeking a jury trial and class-action status.

My fist is going to be seeking a punch to his face.

:lol:

Fucking IMU.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Any one ever see a good explanation why a tax that is to encourage healthy behavior exempts alcoholic becerages?

Does a whisky coke at a bar draw a tax?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next