It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:28 am 

Are the number posted yet for first couple of months of sales after this tax yet?

Preckwinkle: Soda tax was all about money, and the county needs it
Andy Grimm

Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle on Wednesday refused to forecast the outcome of a vote next week that would roll back the a controversial “soda tax,” or whether she would veto a repeal if one passes.

But a day ahead of making her budget address to a Board of Commissioners said to be lined up for a close vote on pulling back the county’s penny-per-ounce tax on sodas and sweetened beverages, Preckwinkle was not shy about saying what would happen without the estimated $200 million in tax revenue projected to come from the tax.

“(We will) make significant cuts to public health and public safety, because that’s where 87 percent of our money goes,” Preckwinkle told reporters, following an unrelated press conference on criminal justice reform.

Preckwinkle will release her budget at 10 a.m. Thursday, an hour before her formal budget address. The county board could vote on repealing the tax on Tuesday.

Preckwinkle has traditionally given her budget address in October, but this year’s budget rollout comes the week before a vote on repealing the tax is set to come before the county board.

The tax narrowly passed last year with the president casting a tie-breaking vote. Furor over the tax, stoked in part by a multimillion-dollar advertising campaign by soda industry groups, reached a fever pitch this summer, when consumers around the county first saw the beverage tax tacked onto their grocery receipts.

Preckwinkle reminded commissioners of the financial implications for the county if the tax is pulled back in a fiscal note sent out Friday, which said the county health system and public safety funds, which were slated to receive 75 percent of the new soda tax revenue. The lost revenue would require an 11-percent cut to those departments’ budget, according to the memo.

The cuts are in line with those Preckwinkle demanded this summer, when soda tax revenues were briefly choked off by a beverage industry lawsuit. Those cuts were largely reversed when a judge lifted an injunction on tax receipts, though some non-union workers did not get their jobs back.

Wednesday, Preckwinkle also was clear that, despite an advertising campaign pushing the health benefits of drinking fewer sugary beverages, the tax was always intended as a way to put more money into county coffers without even less-popular options such as raising sales tax across the board or hiking property taxes.

“We chose as a revenue generator a sweetened beverage tax, which had been enacted around the country, both for the revenue and for the health benefits,” she said. “But first and foremost, for the revenue.”

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
At least Roti asked me today if I was buying soda or iced with my foutain drink. Saved me the beverage tax.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
GONE IN DUE TIME!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:59 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
GONE IN DUE TIME!
Congrats sugar addicts!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
GONE IN DUE TIME!
Congrats sugar addicts!

You can pry my diabetes from my cold dead stumps.

Fuck you Precwinkle. We win!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
There should be a $100 federal tax on all weapon sales, and a $0.05 tax on each bullet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:52 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
IMU wrote:
There should be a $100 federal tax on all weapon sales, and a $0.05 tax on each bullet.

That could make a lot of money. At the same time we could charge $5 per vote as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:53 pm 

pittmike wrote:
At the same time we could charge $5 per vote as well.

What?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:57 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:

What?

If you can tax one constitutional right then you can tax another.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
IMU wrote:

Cook County already has a 5 cent per bullet tax. That's why I don't buy my ammo at Cabelas in Hoffman Estates anymore. GAT Guns in Dundee gets all my business now. Cook County doing its part in continuing to drive out more business to the suburbs and beyond.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:00 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:

What?

Is this a bit?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:03 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:

What?

Is this a bit?

Are you a bit?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:05 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:

What?

Is this a bit?

Are you a bit?

I'm a bit confused that someone who claims to be a scientist can be this retarded.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:09 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:

What?

Is this a bit?

Are you a bit?

I'm a bit confused that someone who claims to be a scientist can be this retarded.

Ok. While an outrageous analogy you cannot see any similarity in using a tax to discourage people from enjoying their second amendment rights and using a tax to discourage people to vote? Have a nice weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:10 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:

What?

Is this a bit?

Are you a bit?

Its not rocket surgery.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:11 pm 

One tax is completely illegal and has been banned for decades now, and the other would be a legal sales tax.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:15 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
One tax is completely illegal and has been banned for decades now, and the other would be a legal sales tax.

Except he was arguing for a national tax. There is no general national sales tax. You start taxing bullets, you might as well start taxing everything else. See how that flies. Sales tax is already regressive enough.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:18 pm 

SuperMario wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Except he was arguing for a national tax. There is no general national sales tax. You start taxing bullets, you might as well start taxing everything else. See how that flies. Sales tax is already regressive enough.

Not only the national sales tax really. IMU is being clever and he would want to tax it enough to control arms. A nickel might not do it but put 100% taxes on guns and ammo and you will be in front of the SCOTUS pretty quick.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:23 pm 

pittmike wrote:
A nickel might not do it but put 100% taxes on guns and ammo and you will be in front of the SCOTUS pretty quick.

High taxes are not unconstitutional. It would probably be political suicide for anyone who voted for it though, but not illegal.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:33 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
GONE IN DUE TIME!
Congrats sugar addicts!

Yes, I like sugar BR. Doesn't mean I should be taxed on it. You know what I also like; Pissing and shitting in a toilet and not having to go outside. Should I be taxed on that as well? A walk outside could do me some good, help me work off some of that sugar I consumed for the day.

Love, sitting on my couch watching the Cubs at night with a big gulp and a pizza. Should they track the time I am sitting on my couch watching TV? They already want me to buy a god dam watch that chirps at me to get the fuck off my ass, might as well connect that to the IRS and tax my ass sitting time.

Masturbation, Sleep, dog walking, tax that shit too! If you're masturbating your not trying hard enough? You can sleep when your dead and don't walk, run with the fucking dog you lazy bastard!

Fuck them and fuck you sons a bitches that support this crap! I hope you choke on your natural spring water, while eating a veggie burger at the local wifi hotspot cafe, you politically correct assholes!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Juiced wrote:
Masturbation...tax that shit too!

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Juiced wrote:

Per tug.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:45 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Juiced wrote:

Per tug.

Hopefully it's not retroactive. I would probably owe the government like a billion dollars, give or take.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:53 pm 

Juiced wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
GONE IN DUE TIME!
Congrats sugar addicts!

Yes, I like sugar BR. Doesn't mean I should be taxed on it. You know what I also like; Pissing and shitting in a toilet and not having to go outside. Should I be taxed on that as well? A walk outside could do me some good, help me work off some of that sugar I consumed for the day.

Love, sitting on my couch watching the Cubs at night with a big gulp and a pizza. Should they track the time I am sitting on my couch watching TV? They already want me to buy a god dam watch that chirps at me to get the fuck off my ass, might as well connect that to the IRS and tax my ass sitting time.

Masturbation, Sleep, dog walking, tax that shit too! If you're masturbating your not trying hard enough? You can sleep when your dead and don't walk, run with the fucking dog you lazy bastard!

Fuck them and fuck you sons a bitches that support this crap! I hope you choke on your natural spring water, while eating a veggie burger at the local wifi hotspot cafe, you politically correct assholes!
Don't worry. You can now drink all the sugar water you want for 1 cent less an ounce! Things are going great.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:59 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Juiced wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
GONE IN DUE TIME!
Congrats sugar addicts!

Don't worry. You can now drink all the sugar water you want for 1 cent less an ounce! Things are going great.

Great, I am going to go home, walk the dog, watch the cubs game, sit on my toilet with a Pepsi in one hand and my dick in another while I masturbate before I go to sleep. AMERICA FUCK YEAH!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
This thread has taken a turn for the better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
They have the votes

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Was there ever a Suge Tax?

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
KDdidit wrote:
We were at some local Democrat meet and greet a few weeks ago and our Cook County Commissioner, Tobolski, seemed pretty confident they were going to vote to overturn the tax soon. He wasn't sure if they have enough to override a veto though. I wasn't a direct part of the conversation so who even knows if that's something that can happen, but that's what it sounded like to me.

Tobolski, my guy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next