It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
KDdidit wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
I like Beverage Association ad where it starts by saying everyone's talking about this tax and then at the end it says we need to get more people talking about this tax.

Ad copy by Score callers! "Yeah everyone's talking about this, how come no one's talking about this?"

Speaking of "everybody's talking about x," the commercial for New Lenox claims "everybody is talking about New Lenox." They are?

"New Lenox! Cheap, shoddy big houses (Pulte?!?!) that are just far enough apart you'll never have to interact with your neighbors! For middle class people who hate people!"

There I talked about New Lenox.

Haha!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:33 pm 

New Lenox is where all the middle class white people are now moving instead of Oak Forest, Tinley and Orland like they did 20 years ago.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:34 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I swear there was a stretch where every other B&B remote was in Frankfort or New Lenox, and half the time Terry still didn't bother to show.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The Chicago Tribune said that 900,000 people in Cook County are on Food Stamps and are exempt from the tax. Is it possible the food stamp people don't know they're exempt and are also driving to Indiana and the suburbs?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:57 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
It covers restaurant food too. That value meal costs a little more as well as the vending machine.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
We were at some local Democrat meet and greet a few weeks ago and our Cook County Commissioner, Tobolski, seemed pretty confident they were going to vote to overturn the tax soon. He wasn't sure if they have enough to override a veto though. I wasn't a direct part of the conversation so who even knows if that's something that can happen, but that's what it sounded like to me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:03 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
conns7901 wrote:
New Lenox is where all the middle class white people are now moving instead of Oak Forest, Tinley and Orland like they did 20 years ago.

New Lennox is far enough away from the trouble areas around there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
The Chicago Tribune said that 900,000 people in Cook County are on Food Stamps and are exempt from the tax. Is it possible the food stamp people don't know they're exempt and are also driving to Indiana and the suburbs?

900,000 is just insane. I wonder how many of those are truly poor vs. "reported income" poor.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
17% of people are on food stamps? No wonder we're in debt. Maybe a quarter of those people actually need to be.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Ran into Walgreens this morning for a couple things
Guy in line in front of me has like 5 of those gallon jugs of Arizona iced tea
Acts incredulous at the total
Cashier explains the tax to him
Says he doesn't want them now
So now cashier has to void it
I'm standing there trying not to go apeshit as the transaction is taking forever. I can't believe at this point there's someone living here that isn't aware of it

Even dumber, this store is literally on the border of Cook/will
If his dumbass walked across the street there'd be no tax

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:37 pm 

Maybe it's like 900,000 people in households on food stamps, not 900,000 being issued. That sounds way too high.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Curious Hair wrote:
Maybe it's like 900,000 people in households on food stamps, not 900,000 being issued. That sounds way too high.

Still sounds too high.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:15 pm 

IMU wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Still sounds too high.

Sounds about right. It is not hard to get on public aid.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
conns7901 wrote:
IMU wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Still sounds too high.

It's not hard if it can be shown to be needed. Probably are more who need it but who are too proud and or too dumb to know how. Call it a wash between usurpers and those in need. Number is probably right in Cook county.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:38 pm 

Pretty sure it is. It took a long time to get early Social Security for my dad. You don't just walk to a counter, say "he has holes in his brain and can't work anymore," and then they cut you a check.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
beni hanna wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
IMU wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Still sounds too high.

It's not hard if it can be shown to be needed. Probably are more who need it but who are too proud and or too dumb to know how. Call it a wash between usurpers and those in need. Number is probably right in Cook county.

Yup.

Similar thing... my company has a few people who ABUSE short-term disability/FMLA... and when I say that, I mean that it is basically a fact that they purposely abuse it... it's not just me being speculative:

And then there's a couple people who we are basically trying to convince that it's in their best interest to use the benefit, but they refuse due to pride. It sucks that there's a stigma with it, and it sucks that there are people who selfishly make a joke of it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I know a few people on long term disability and a few who are trying to get on it. Not much rhym or reason to it. But there are a few who should be on assistance who are just to proud to do it. I get it and respect it but it would be helpful

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:45 pm 

You can make 100k a year and if your wife doesn't work or works minimum wage job you can get on public aid. Well not you specifically, but your wife and kids. They don't ask many questions. A relative of mine works for the offices that do this stuff and said it is a joke.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
conns7901 wrote:
You can make 100k a year and if your wife doesn't work or works minimum wage job you can get on public aid. Well not you specifically, but your wife and kids. They don't ask many questions. A relative of mine works for the offices that do this stuff and said it is a joke.

With all due respect good sir, the hamlet your relative serves,and those he/she associates with may not represent the county as a whole.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
i got charged 32 cent sugar tax for my 32 oz soft drink.... but the cup is not filled 32 oz with soda... a good chunk of that volume is ice... i'm being taxed on ice! i demand 7 or 8 cents back from the county... who wants to protest?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
The sugar tax is now a dead tax walking.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... an-actions

Either the Cook County Board will repeal it or Madigan will do something useful for once and take it down from the Statehouse.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:33 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

Yes.

900,000 Cook County residents who receive benefits from the federal food stamp program, officially known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:39 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I'm all for the sugar tax. Get rid of the bottled water tax.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Either the Cook County Board will repeal it or Madigan will do something useful for once and take it down from the Statehouse.

If this tax actually lead to Madigan minions getting voted out of office I am all for keeping it.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Will be people be yelling about "COUNTY RIGHTS!". :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
They passed the tax with the intention of Lisa promising repeal or a state law against it to get to the governor's mansion, now with the support of daddy, that's what will happen.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

But I thought is was about children's health? I guess the poor kids get to get diabetes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:40 am 

Franky T wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

But I thought is was about children's health? I guess the poor kids get to get diabetes.
I believe someone said before that it would not be allowed for those on food stamps either by state or federal law.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

I believe someone said before that it would not be allowed for those on food stamps either by state or federal law.

Damn Feds. First crack, now sugary beverages.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:38 pm 

Franky T wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

Oddly the tax isn't being charged in Family Dollar stores.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next