It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Kirkwood wrote:
I won a DARE essay contest in 5th grade. (button 48)

Thanks to DARE my only drug is alcohol.

I won the DARE essay contest in grade school AND was a DARE Role Model in high school (which is absolutely ridiculous). I believe I smoked before doing the role model thing with the kids.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I don't remember disliking DARE when I was in school. In hindsight, my only real beef with the program is that I remember them emphasizing how you can die from cocaine just from trying a small dose once. Not only is this remarkably disingenuous, but it prevented me from enjoying that until I was 20 and not so much of a pussy anymore. Not cool

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
ChiefWampum wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/07/12/a-brief-history-of-d-a-r-e-the-anti-drug-program-jeff-sessions-wants-to-revive/?utm_term=.c53ee37e2507

Because this idiotic idea was so effective for my generation, which is OD'ing on opiates like none other. :lol:

Put this asshole out to pasture.

To be fair to D.A.R.E., the opiate epidemic has the medical profession to blame...

DARE never made it clear that opiates are dangerous, while weed is not. They just lumped them together and said, "drugs are bad, mkay". They also encouraged kids to be snitches. DARE is an absolutely useless program.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Barraco's
Chus wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/07/12/a-brief-history-of-d-a-r-e-the-anti-drug-program-jeff-sessions-wants-to-revive/?utm_term=.c53ee37e2507

Because this idiotic idea was so effective for my generation, which is OD'ing on opiates like none other. :lol:

To be fair to D.A.R.E., the opiate epidemic has the medical profession to blame...

DARE never made it clear that opiates are dangerous, while weed is not. They just lumped them together and said, "drugs are bad, mkay". They also encouraged kids to be snitches. DARE is an absolutely useless program.

The point was that the current opiod epidemic is largely due to physicians' over-prescribing to "treat" pain.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: V & N
Jeff Sessions is as big of a joke as Trump. Lame duck clowns.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
ChiefWampum wrote:
Chus wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

The point was that the current opiod epidemic is largely due to physicians' over-prescribing to "treat" pain.

When they should instead be able to prescribe weed for the pain relief.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:08 pm 

ChiefWampum wrote:
Chus wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I agree, but it starts with not being honest about drugs.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Regular Reader wrote:
And the CIA was involved in drug trafficking with republican approval

....by flying in planes into a state governed by a DEM named Bill.

ChiefWampum wrote:

Well....they get a very large portion of the blame, but not all. Heroin was here before and it's affordability has more to do with the supply moving to Afghanistan.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:43 pm 

Let's say I went through school and then was really bad at math. Would I then want schools to not teach math?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Lost to history is that a big part of Bob Dole's presidential run was his new anti-drug slogan "Just Don't Do It" Imagine the lives that would have been saved.

http://www.dolekemp96.org/agenda/issues/drugs.htm

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Let's say I went through school and then was really bad at math. Would I then want schools to not teach math?

no, you would want them to adopt a math program which has proven to be effective.

DARE has empirically been proven to have at best no effect and at worse has seen an increase in drug use.

If you want a good piece on the subject, I strongly suggest this. https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... esnt-work/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
DannyB wrote:
Lost to history is that a big part of Bob Dole's presidential run was his new anti-drug slogan "Just Don't Do It" Imagine the lives that would have been saved.

http://www.dolekemp96.org/agenda/issues/drugs.htm

I wish he would have won. We'd still have Layne Staley.

I wonder if he was related to AE Staley.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:23 pm 

Wasn't sure what thread to put this in, but I'm at a hotel bar, and the female bartender has had to have snorted at least a g since I got here an hour ago. Not complaining. She keeps charging me for whiskey on ice but filling the glass to the point that it's overflowing. The guy next to me ordered a glass of wine and she brought him a bottle. He didn't complain either.

I guess what I'm saying is fuck DARE.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:41 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I say spend federal money to just run the "This is your brain on drugs" and the "I learned it by watching you" commercials on a loop non-stop.

That, and I always appreciated the irony of the Drugs Are Really Excellent campaign, prevented me from ever doing an illegal drug (that wasn't prescribed to me).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:49 pm 

Only users lose drugs.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:51 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
A friend of mine is coming back from Colorado any day with a truck load of "merchandise" that he planned to route in a way that would avoid any speed traps.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:08 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Wasn't sure what thread to put this in, but I'm at a hotel bar, and the female bartender has had to have snorted at least a g since I got here an hour ago. Not complaining. She keeps charging me for whiskey on ice but filling the glass to the point that it's overflowing. The guy next to me ordered a glass of wine and she brought him a bottle. He didn't complain either.

No complaints. The bartenders and I have joined forces.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:29 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I also won the DARE essay contest. Never snitched on anyone, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:30 am 

They never even offered a DARE essay contest at my school.

I think they knew to give up on us.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:54 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Never took a single DARE class or whatever the heck they were. Somehow I've managed to avoid becoming a meth addict.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:01 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Three different people in this thread won a DARE essay writing contest?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:07 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

no, you would want them to adopt a math program which has proven to be effective.

DARE has empirically been proven to have at best no effect and at worse has seen an increase in drug use.

If you want a good piece on the subject, I strongly suggest this. https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... esnt-work/

I understand the program had flaws but it seems like many on this board think schools teaching kids about the dangers of drugs is a bad thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:09 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I understand the program had flaws but it seems like many on this board think schools teaching kids about the dangers of drugs is a bad thing.

Im just saying be fair and balanced. Show em how cool some drugs are and how much fun you can have with them!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I don't think anyone has said teaching the dangers of drugs in school is a bad thing. the DARE initiative funded police officers in schools whose sole job was drug education. That means more squad cars, salary, and benefits for those additional cops. That is a HUGE cost and the results were clearly no different than had they simply incorporated drug abuse in health courses already in the curriculum.

DARE was a money pit.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Quote:
... A large U.S. survey conducted in 2012 by psychologist Lloyd D. Johnston and his colleagues at the University of Michigan revealed that fully 24 percent of 12th graders had engaged in binge drinking (defined as five or more drinks on one occasion) in the past two weeks. ...

Five belts in a night is a binge?!?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
leashyourkids wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

No complaints. The bartenders and I have joined forces.

Did you unknowingly reply to your own story??

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:54 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Ice Cream in the parking lot, and whiskey while sitting alone at the bar? Between that and the garage rainstorm action, leash appears to be one par-tay animal!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:58 am 

Do you have a posse, Frank?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ice Cream in the parking lot, and whiskey while sitting alone at the bar? Between that and the garage rainstorm action, leash appears to be one par-tay animal!

Kudos to him. Very impressive

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:01 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Kudos to him. Very impressive

:lol:

Don't bring your Sox crap in here.