It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New York Trip
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hang out in DUMBO for a bit.
The One World Observatory is spectacular.
Avoid Chinatown.
Hit Little Italy.
Find some of the other.ethnic emclaves and pig out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Chilli Palmer wrote:
I'm heading to New York City for a week. Looking for any suggestions for food ,drink and anything else you can think of. I'm staying on the upper west side and will be doing a few of the touristy things. Any suggestions would be great.
See a Broadway show. You can do it for pretty cheap too with either the TKTS app or the booths.
Go to two Comedy Clubs. Comic Strip Live, and Comedy Cellar were my favorites. There are about 10 really good ones so just pick a few. Avoid the ones that offer you free tickets on the street though as most of them are hit and miss.
Obviously go to the WTC museum and the Statue of Liberty. Ride the Staten Island Ferry. It's free and a nice view.
Go to Times Square for an hour, realize it sucks, and then literally go anywhere else.
Go to the High Line if the weather is good. It's a former railroad that has been turned into a raised walking park.
The Financial district is a fun visit too if you love Capitalism.
On the Upper West Side, the subway will be your friend since you are a little far from most things. Uber or cabs work in a pinch.
Hit up museums too. Virtually all of them are good but that depends on your tastes.
The Intrepid Air Museum is good too.
You can get some good deals on night cruises with good views of the city and food. Groupon or Gilt City are good for that too.
Bars are literally everywhere. You don't really need to plan it. Just see a good one and go.
If you are fancy and want "clubs" head to the "Meatpacking district".
I would recommend doing a rooftop bar too. They are expensive but it is a cool experience.

For food, and I haven't been in a few years, is a place called "Hell's Kitchen" in Hell's Kitchen. It's not related to Gordon Ramsey.
Head to Little Italy and eat anywhere.
Eat Pizza, avoid the hot dogs.
Avoid Coney Island.

This, but try to get it done in the first 48 or so hours, then get the fuck outta there. After spending three two-week stints there, I never want to be within 50 miles of that place ever again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Bagels wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Hmm, I haven't done that Rick. I will be sure to try next time I go out there for personal reasons.

Do you have any thoughts on the Diamond District? I always ask locals if that's a good place to buy a diamond. I am noodling doing my 25th wedding anniversary out there, and it is going to be diamond upgrade time when that happens in a few years.

finally, we get to discuss diamonds

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
If you like scotch, there's a really cool bar way down at the end of the island called the Highlands... it was small and cozy, and the food was pretty good and they had a lot of scotch.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Nick&Vito's
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Chilli Palmer wrote:
I'm heading to New York City for a week. Looking for any suggestions for food ,drink and anything else you can think of. I'm staying on the upper west side and will be doing a few of the touristy things. Any suggestions would be great.
See a Broadway show. You can do it for pretty cheap too with either the TKTS app or the booths.
Go to two Comedy Clubs. Comic Strip Live, and Comedy Cellar were my favorites. There are about 10 really good ones so just pick a few. Avoid the ones that offer you free tickets on the street though as most of them are hit and miss.
Obviously go to the WTC museum and the Statue of Liberty. Ride the Staten Island Ferry. It's free and a nice view.
Go to Times Square for an hour, realize it sucks, and then literally go anywhere else.
Go to the High Line if the weather is good. It's a former railroad that has been turned into a raised walking park.
The Financial district is a fun visit too if you love Capitalism.
On the Upper West Side, the subway will be your friend since you are a little far from most things. Uber or cabs work in a pinch.
Hit up museums too. Virtually all of them are good but that depends on your tastes.
The Intrepid Air Museum is good too.
You can get some good deals on night cruises with good views of the city and food. Groupon or Gilt City are good for that too.
Bars are literally everywhere. You don't really need to plan it. Just see a good one and go.
If you are fancy and want "clubs" head to the "Meatpacking district".
I would recommend doing a rooftop bar too. They are expensive but it is a cool experience.

For food, and I haven't been in a few years, is a place called "Hell's Kitchen" in Hell's Kitchen. It's not related to Gordon Ramsey.
Head to Little Italy and eat anywhere.
Eat Pizza, avoid the hot dogs.
Avoid Coney Island.

No Central Park?

I just assumed this was a given.